• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• teacher

• ross549

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Adam thanks will try ittried PCLos rescue CD and it worked and I am in it nowBut will try init 0 in MDK 10 gnome after seeing if PCLos shuts downColin :)

Adasminit 0 did NOT work in MDK and no Rescue cd for Mepis that I suppose will come when we tweak the lilo's tomorrowColin

Quinthalt does NOT work either  :thumbsup: Colin  :D
;) I'm amazed! See if this works:
# shutdown -h now
...it also works for me. :)

ColinIs it hanging in a particular place? If so, on what line is it stopping?It could be that you have a prcess that is not stopping correctly and that is why it is not shutting down.Julia :thumbsup:

It is time for verbose mode. I have had two different instances where I could not shut down and both were diagnosed by reading the messages in verbose mode. Once was because of sensors and once was because of a hotplugging issue. The moral of the story is look in verbose mode to see just where it is stopping and then we will be able to solve your problem.Julia :thumbsup:

Just did JuliaAnd it stopped atPower down_And the preceding lines wereUnmounting Proc file systemHalting system.....md: stopping all devicesmd: md0 switched to read only modePower down_Colin

Hi ColinI want to know a few things . . . I remember you saying you have a nforce motherboard . . . . I read elsewhere this should not be a problem . . . . . so I would like to know: What nforce board exactly ??Also could you do ( as root ) :

# XFdrake

And post me what you see . . . :thumbsup: Bruno

My Motherboard is Asus A7N266-VMand result of XFdrake--->>NVIDIA GeForce2 Integrated1024x768 @ 70HZ1024x768x24bppTestOptionsColin :thumbsup:

Right Colin I have it !!!It is XFree4 that needs another NV driver that the one you use now . . that is why you have trouble with the new PCLos too !Here is the trick: PRINT it out or write it down:You do Ctrl+Alt+F1 . . and you will get a complete black screen with a prompt at the left top . . there you log in with "root" and your root password ( so NOT "su" but "root" )Then you type "XFdrake" . . and you will get the sam e tool as before, but then without the fancy GUI . . . The top line says Graphic card and is "highlighted" . . . . fiddle with your arrow keys that ALSO "DO" is highlighted and press "Enter" . . . . . . then you get a list of options . . go with the arrow keys to the bottom . . there is "XFree4" . . . when that unfolds find "nv" . . . . when "nv" is highlighted highlight "OK" as well and press "Enter" . . . . . Now you will be back at the first screen . . . Highlight "Test" and "DO" . . and do the test . . if the test is okay . .and it probably will highlight "QUIT" and you will be back at the prompt.There you type "reboot" and you reboot, try to into KDE !!!:thumbsup: Bruno

Righty HoPrinted outBut what is NORMAL for the test screenOn the Install it was a vertical green+ orange +??? waves (Not the right description) I just pressed OK and continuedColin :thumbsup:

When you get a clear looking screen without interference and you can see the box where you can press "YES" :thumbsup: . . . true there are a lot of colors . . . ;) Bruno

Well STILL NO GO for KDE BrunoI hung up at the world Initializing perpipherals @ 42%The test screen was the sames as when Installing Vertical different colored Rolls and a CLEAR Beige Test Box in the middle with No and Yes, It was counting down and I clicked yesColin :thumbsup:

Okay Colin . . in that case I have a last trick ( for the moment that is . . we will come up with new ones :thumbsup: )We do a complete re-install of Mandrake !!! . . . Only now at "screenshot 9" the choosing of the packages we do as shown on the screenshot + we tick the box "individual packages" . . . . on the next screen you get you select the following additional packages: ( I know it is a lot of work but still in some cases it does the trick )kdegraphics kdvikofficexpdfgimp data-extrasmplayer-uixine-uixmmsxmms-alsakdeadonskgetktalkmesalinksatermetermxtermbash-completionkeditusbviewkdeedunmap-frontendAnd after that you proceed as usual . . . . . do pay attention at the "summary" screen and finish the install . . . . ;) Bruno