• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• teacher

• ross549

Top Posters In This Topic

My windows is so fuzzy any more :thumbsup: I had to go look because my first thought was simply c:\ and then I thought cd C:\ so I pulled up DOS on hubby's computer and experimented, changing between the C and D drives. I think I used to do it both ways but have not done it for so long I would not swear to it.Julia :thumbsup:

Yeah, been a long time for me too in DOS. But what's important is what works for Colin. I tried again using cd to change drives and it failed consistently regardless of whether I opened a DOS window or booted to DOS. The reason that I did it on the laptop is that its got 98SE on it - same as Colin.Abe

That's definitely the way for him to go then. To find a 98 computer I would have to go to school and dig out one of my dinosaurs!Julia :thumbsup:

Colin.....Go ahead and give it a try.... I am not sure if it will do any good or not. Also, I will be out for a while tonight, and I think I may have an idea about what is wrong with your computer. I will post back in a couple hours. :)Let us know how those instructions work.....Adam

yeah Abe/Julia/AdamNo luckAbes prompt $p$g just put me back with the A>Tried a friends Boot floppy which gave me theA:\>And what I got from here was --->>> "Invalid Drive Specification"Ho Hum :thumbsup: Colin :thumbsup:

Trust me colin... we will make no changes.... just get some info from your hard drive.... as long as that is alright with you. No changes will be made. :)Adam

IMPORTANT Note:This prcedure could break your computer and linux, if you do not follow it to the letter!!Ok, now that is out of the way......

su<password>fdisk /dev/hda

This will take you into the fdisk program..... and this is where it gets sticky.First you want to press the p key and hit enter. This will display the partition information on your computer.Then, hit q and enter to close the program. Once you get back to the prompt, you can copy what you got into a new post.I cannot stress how important it is that you DO NOT press any other key while in the program!!

[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ suPassword:[root@localhost kamicota]# fdisk /dev/hdaThe number of cylinders for this disk is set to 4998.There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,and could in certain setups cause problems with:1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)Command (m for help): pDisk /dev/hda: 41.1 GB, 41110142976 bytes255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4998 cylindersUnits = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System/dev/hda1 1 765 6144831 ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)/dev/hda2 * 766 4998 34001572+ f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)/dev/hda5 766 2295 12289693+ 83 Linux/dev/hda6 2296 2423 1028128+ ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)/dev/hda7 2424 3698 10241406 83 Linux/dev/hda8 3699 3818 963868+ 82 Linux swap/dev/hda9 3819 4998 9478318+ 83 LinuxCommand (m for help):here it is AdamColin

Device     Boot Start   End    Blocks     Id  System/dev/hda1       1       765    6144831    ef  EFI (FAT-12/16/32)/dev/hda2  *    766     4998   34001572+  f   Win95 Ext'd (LBA)/dev/hda5       766     2295   12289693+  83  Linux/dev/hda6       2296    2423   1028128+   ef  EFI (FAT-12/16/32)/dev/hda7       2424    3698   10241406   83  Linux/dev/hda8       3699    3818   963868+    82  Linux swap/dev/hda9       3819    4998   9478318+   83  Linux

I am seeing two things here.....1. The partition ID for hda1 is the wrong type.2. The partition is not set as active. This is required for DOS/Windows to boot.I am not sure how Bruno would want to proceed..... this will require some precision tweaking.Could you post the output of :

df -h

[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ df -hFilesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part9 9.1G 5.9G 3.3G 65% //dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 5.9G 2.0G 3.9G 35% /mnt/hda1/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6 1003M 96K 1002M 1% /mnt/hda6[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$Colin

Well, it seems to be reading your windows partition fine.... but the ID is still wrong.Let's see what Bruno has to say in the morning. :P

Well, your data is accesible..... but it is not booting. The solution may be as simple as setting the partition active.

Yep . . the solution is simple . . . . . we will do that as soon as I come back online . . . but NOT in PCLos, because the PCLos partition tool is the one that made this mess in the first place ( see earlier in this thread )Colin I will be back online between 19:00 and 20:00 hrs CET ( Amsterdam time ) as ususal . . and we will correct this . . . simple . . . easy . . don´t worry ! Just wait for me to get online. ;):P Bruno

Thanks BrunoLooks as if the Mandrake Rescue Cd is needed eh :P But I'll stay in PCLos until further Destructions :w00t: Colin :w00t:

But I'll stay in PCLos until further Destructions  :lol: Colin  :(
Are you being prophetic today??? ;) :lol: In a couple of hours when Bruno is back on line you will restore your lilo and fix your format problem. It won't be too hard.Julia :o

HECK Julia ;) I just KNEW :lol: you would pick something out of the DELIBERATE :( "Destructions" and if Windows goes bye bye's then so be it it will only point to a new direction for my computer.Feel that somewhere out there there is a program that will allow me to clean nozzles/detect cartridge levels especially on the C64 Epson while the Canon i560 is another kettle of fish.So where to from here can ONLE BE UPWARDSColin :lol:

Okay Colin let go and make a nice job of the tweaks for today . . :D :D1). Correct the HD parameters, 2). Restore Lilo3). Adapt fstab to hold the windows partitionFirst reboot into Mandrake with your rescue-CDThen as root show me:

# fdisk /dev/hda

and then press the p-key and EnterB) Bruno