• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• teacher

• ross549

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ColinWindows, PClos and Mepis are no devices . . . so you will not find them there B) . .You will have to mount them first before you can access them in /mnt . . also you have to make /mnt/pclos and /mnt/mepis first before you can mount them . . . . ;):sorcerer: Bruno

Don't think I'm up to that Bruno and can't blame the Last half hour cutting thr lawns either :sorcerer: BUT OOPS they are in under Mount as you sayI was in the wrong navigatioin Icon Silly Mois hu :clap: :flowers: Colin B) Mr. :medic:

It still surprises me JuliaCos' in PCLos they are all there to access and I think they were just automaticalled mounted.Is there something I can do to access the in Konqueror???Colin

I'v looked all over to find Image Magik and Gimp 2.0 to install but they ar e no where to be foundAny IdeasColin B)

Well AdamI have looked and can NOT find it  B)  and even Gimp does NOT seem to be 2.0  :hmm: Colin  :huh:
Hi Colin:Good to see you got your system to behave itself again.In the above, if your talking about Drake10, Gimp1.2 installs by default, but 2.0 IS on the distribution CD and you have to post-install it via MCC. After that you'll have both versions. I don't remember where, but I read that it is recommended to leave both.Good luckAbe

Thanks AbeWent looking in the MCC for gimp to but could not find it BUT will give it another trySee that Adam spelled it Image Magick with a "c" too so will have another look for that Also B) :hmm: :huh: Colin :huh:

Hi ColinYou are hard to please my friend ! B) . . . Still not happy ???Okay, okay, we will sort out the programs you have not yet installed yet later today as I come back from work. Also I will show you how to mount those partitions . . . . . Automounting the partitions you do not use daily is not a good idea, it is better to leave them un-mounted and only mount them when, and as long as, you need them mounted ;)So, on the agenda for today: 1). Adding software sources2). Installing The Gimp 2.03). Installing imagemagick4). Learning to mount and un-mountB) Bruno

Hi ColinBecause I will be online a bit later then usual tonight ( Monday is a special day B) ) I will give you some "homework" :hmm: :Imagemagic: . . . It should already be installed on your system . . . . Try this, open a console and type:

$ display

See ?? It is installed :huh: :huh: . . . . Now all we have to do is make a menu entry for it ! So now type:

$ menudrake

This will open the menu editor . . in the left pane you will see all the menu items . . unfold "Multimedia" and click on "Graphics" so it gets a blue background behind the word "Graphics" . . . Then push the button "+Application" . . a dialog will pop up with two lines to fill in:

Title: ImageMagickCommand: /usr/bin/display
Then press "OK" and check the box "Open in terminal" ( NOTE: only with this program that box needs to be checked . . . other progs do not need it !! ) . . then click on the Icon and change it to one you like . . . . After all that press the "Save" button to save the new menu . . . and the work is done . . close the menueditor-GUI and have a look in the menu . . it should be there !! :( :DSee you later for the rest of the jobs we have to do . . . . :thumbsup: :DB) Bruno

Great Bruno :thumbsup: Got Image Magick went looking for Firefox but not in there. Found it in PCLos but it was already installed.Seems as if there may be a process in Menudrake or elswhere where one can find other programs to install but have yet to find itColin is :D :lol: :rolleyes: :) B)

ColinI am not in Mandrake right now so I can not give you exact instructions but look under Configuration --> KDE --> Look n' Feel (possibly)--> Menu Update. There is something there to updat menus but I can not remember if it is under Look n' Feel but i know it is under Configuration--> KDE somewhere.Julia :)

If you go into the install software section, and search for Firefox, you can download and install it right from there, and it will automatically install it and add it to the menu :)

RyanI tried the MCC and must not have been kin the right place cos' could NOT find Firefox and I found it in PCLos but there was another word infront of FirefoxJuliaFound "Menus" in "configure your computer but no way to updateColin stil :) but :thumbsup:

RyanI tried the MCC and must not have been kin the right place cos' could NOT find Firefox and I found it in PCLos but there was another word infront of FirefoxJuliaFound "Menus" in "configure your computer but no way to updateColin stil  :thumbsup:  but  :rolleyes:
Hi "SuperKami",It's right here:FSLO-1085414890-244668.jpg :)

Thanks Quint :) BUT on mine it is NOT thereOn All Packages Medium repository/maxmumAll I have in the Left Pane isInstallation cd's 1,2 & 3and update sourceAnd Firefox is NOT foundI do have an update CD but advice was forget about itColin still :rolleyes: but :thumbsup:

Then we will need to add your sources. You have not done that. Was that on Bruno's list for the day? He will be here shortly.Julia :)

Yes Julia :) That was Bruno's #1 on the listSo guess :o I was ahead of myself again either no seeing that #1 or not recognizing its potentialHoHum :thumbsup: guess I was just too much at a loose end at this 10am early hour of the Morning :lol: Colin still B) & :D :rolleyes:

You could go read the tip about updating sources since he takes you through it step by step there:

ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE SOURCESStill waiting for more sources but here are already a few:Source PLF
urpmi.addmedia plfplf ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0 with hdlist.cz

Source Thacs:

urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.0/RPMS with hdlist.cz

Source Contrib

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/official/10.0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

Only for Clubmembers:Source Club Commercial

urpmi.addmedia club.comm_i586_10.0Official http://NICKNAME:PASSWORD@www.mandrakeclub.com/downloads2/comm/10.0/ with ./hdlist.cz

Just copy and paste each one in the command line. You will not need the bottom one unless you joined the Mandrake Club and have received your user name and password. You will copy and paste each code and wait to get your prompt and then copy and paste the next one. When done you can go in to the Mandrake Control Center and look for your programs you could not find before.Julia :)

Thankz Julia :thumbsup: I did LOOK at this post before but Decided to wait until the direction came and sure enough it di thank youthey are in now and we can now look for Firefox and Gimp 2.0 and then see where we go from thereColin's :o :D B) :lol: :) :o :rolleyes:

Hi Colin . . . I wrote this morning:

You are hard to please my friend !
LOL . . . it starts to dawn on me that you are maybe impossible to please . . . . . . please slow down . . . why do you want all at once ?? :) :thumbsup: :DThis was the list for today:1). Adding software sources2). Installing The Gimp 2.03). Installing imagemagick4). Learning to mount and un-mountAnd if you want more we will put it on the list for tomorrow !! :DNow about the sources: Julia posted them already, but I ONLY want you to add the "Contrib" and the "PLF" ones . . . because otherwise you will get too many conflicting versions of the same packages . . . So open a console . . . become ROOT and paste:
urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/official/10.0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

And press Enter ( the code is ONE line ) . . . let it finish the job . . then:

urpmi.addmedia plfplf ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0 with hdlist.cz

Tell me when you are readyB) Bruno

OOps Bruno Your back :) Welcome to "MY SPECIAL Monday too"I installed --->>>urpmi.addmedia plfplf ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0 with hdlist.czurpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.0/RPMS with hdlist.czurpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.nluug.nl//pub/os/Linux/distr/Ma....0/contrib/i586 with ../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.czNo NOT hard to please Bruno Just Impatient and trying to things myself tooColin :thumbsup:

The problem with all those sources is that if you want to install software you get too many choices and you end up not knowing what to install . . . If you want a stable system, you have to restrickt yourself to stable mdk native packages . . . and The Gimp and Firefox are available as stable ones . . . . I just do not want you to install the experimental ones, just for the sake of stablility !So first thing we will do now is open the MCC --> package management --> Media Manager and remove the ticks in the boxes of:plfplfthacs.rpmsThen press "OK" and go to "Install" . . . . . there you type in the box: "mozilla-firefox" . . . and report back to me what version numbers of Firefox you get to see . . . do not install anything yet . . just report back.:) Bruno

Righty Ho BrunoThose TWO unticked and we have--->>>mozilla-firefox-0.8-14mdkmozilla-firefoxdevel-0.8-14mdk Colin :)

Great job Colin . . . . Now you install: "mozilla-firefox-0.8-14mdk" . . . that is all you need ( see the "mdk"at the end ? That means it is an official Mandrake package :) )After that you type "gimp" in the searchbox and report to me what you get in the left pane . . . . and I will explain to you what to install ;):thumbsup: Bruno