More Partitions . . More Distro's to boot

longgone

Bruno,,,,??????? ran that command ... nothing happened that I could see .... just set the line for the next entry .... curious should I have used 1.7 instead of 1.6 ... and as far as the install went ... opened the home directory (guess that is what that icon does) and just dbl clicked it and away it went .... all according to the insts from sun ....

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• teacher

??????? ran that command ... nothing happened that I could see .... just set the line for the next entry ..
That is exactly what it should do . . . it executed the commands and reported no errors . . . . Did you open a Mozilla browser to see if the plugin was there now ?
just dbl clicked it and away it went .... all according to the insts from sun ....
I can't imagine those are the instructions from sun . . . can you copy and paste that part from their site ?:lol: Bruno

Bruno,,,,Welll.... it is still not listed under the plugins ... so I guess it is not there ... now about Sun .... let me reprhrase that ... I opened home and dbl clicked on the icon that was listed for the java program and it opened and ran through the installation process ... I just don't have any idea if it really did install or if it was just showing what would be the process. The insts are at Suns web site and I did try to follow them but since it did not d/l into the usr directory I was lost there ...BTW ... anything that I d/l in Linux seems to go to the home directory ... and in this install of Drake 10.0 there is a 4GB partiton for usr so ... I need to learn how to direct the d/l's to the usr and not home ...

I seem to remember Sun having some that you clicked on the icon and it installed from there. Remember they have some that have installer programs that make it look more like Windows.Julia :)

Bruno,,..Those are the exact same instructions I have printed out here ... my problems start (I am using the self-extracting Instructions) with step 3 (Change to the directory) since it uses usr as an example I tried to follow that but my home has the d/l not usr .. so I am lost from the start ... should I be doing cd /home/java ??? ... also since I did do that dbl click I mentioned in the home directory ... there is an icon resembles a file that is dog-eared with what appears to be a terminal in it and it has the j2re info underneath it and when I click on properties it lists it as shell script, there is also a folder there that is for j2re and it is listed as folder when I click on the properties tab for it ..... soooooooooooo ...... there it is in a nut shell ... I figure that as soon as I can learn how to properly install the d/l's that I do .... I will be way ahead of where I am now ... BTW .... the only time .. I have had a successful install of Java in a Linux OS was in RH7.2 and I was using Netscape as the browser and that was a long time ago ... almost 2 years now

Hi DaleDo this:

sumkdir /usr/javacp   j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin  /usr/java

Then the file is in /usr/java/j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.binThen:

cd /usr/javachmod a+x j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin./j2re-1_4_2_04-linux-i586.bin

That should install it correctlyB) Bruno

Bruno .Okay ... did that and am going on the hunch that it is installed ... it got to the end and said done I entered ls and got the response that is listed in the instructions .... now I need to create this "symbolic link" or the instructions say I do ... but once again ... I am not comprehending what they are saying (nothing new there) and it is also not listed as an installed plug-in under the installed plug-ins header yet

Okay .... and the next step is ............. ????????????Password:[root@localhost dale]# updatedb[root@localhost dale]# locate libjavaplugin_oji.so/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so/usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so/home/dale/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so/home/dale/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so[root@localhost dale]#

$ su< password >rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.sorm /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Does that give errors ??:) Bruno

Does not appear to be any errors to me .... ????[root@localhost dale]# rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.sorm: remove symbolic link `/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so'?[root@localhost dale]# rm /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.sorm: remove symbolic link `/usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so'?

Hope you said YES on both times ???Next . . more cleanup to avoid confusion:

rm -rf /home/dale/j2re1.4.2_04

:) Bruno

Bruno ,,,,,,,,,Password:[root@localhost dale]# rm -rf /home/dale/j2re 1.4.2_04[root@localhost dale]#I did not say anything .... just clicked on "enter" (return) to continue on .....

In that case do again:

rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.sorm /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

And press "Y" on every question you get . . . ;):) Bruno

Okay ....................Password:[root@localhost dale]# rm -rf /home/dale/j2re 1.4.2_04[root@localhost dale]# rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.sorm: remove symbolic link `/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so'? yes[root@localhost dale]# rm /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.sorm: remove symbolic link `/usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so'? yes[root@localhost dale]#

OkayFinal check if everything is really cleaned up before we make the new links:

# updatedb# locate libjavaplugin_oji.so

[root@localhost dale]# updatedb[root@localhost dale]# locate libjavaplugin_oji.so/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so/home/dale/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so/home/dale/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.soand the next step ... in this lonnngg journey is ??????

#$@%!!We are still NOT clean Dale:

rm -rf /home/dale/j2re1.4.2_04

Then again:

# updatedb# locate libjavaplugin_oji.so

Bruno .....I did not see much if any change .....[root@localhost dale]# rm -rf /home/dale/j2re 1.4.2_04[root@localhost dale]# updatedb[root@localhost dale]# locate libjavaplugin_oji.so/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so/home/dale/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so/home/dale/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so[root@localhost dale]#

[root@localhost dale]# rm -rf /home/dale/j2re 1.4.2_04
Dale . . there is a space in that comand that should NOT be there !! ( between j2re and 1 )<_< Bruno

[root@localhost dale]# rm -rf /home/dale/j2re1.4.2_04[root@localhost dale]# updatedb[root@localhost dale]# locate libjavaplugin_oji.so/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so[root@localhost dale]#Oh .... well .... after that minor/small correction ... there is a considerable difference <_< :w00t:

HURRAY !!!!!!Now the next commands:

# ln -s  /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so   /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/# ln -s  /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so   /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins/

Both are one line commandsB) Bruno

Okay ,,Password:[root@localhost dale]# ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/[root@localhost dale]# ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins/[root@localhost dale]#next

Next . . . . . Now close ALL your browsers . . . . . and open up Mozilla again . . . and type "about:plugins"<_< Bruno

Bruno ,,,,,, .....Well ... darn ... now it is there ... (all 29 entries under the Java plugin) ... this is the main fuss I have with Linux ... all the hoops and stuff to install a d/l .... but I guess it is all part of the learning process (#@^$$#^%) ... isn't it about time to call it a day now .... wheeeewwww !!!!!!!!!!

to the . ...... hummmm ...... . . posting from Slack on this one ... for some reason I cannot get the printer to print ... went through apsfilter couple of times ... but can't get a test page to produce .. got any suggestions .... the printer is an HP deskjet 940C ....