• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

hda7 home
???? . . . Sure /home is mounted . . . . and it should beWe were talking hdb10 !! . . and it should be mounted on /mnt !B) Bruno

Oh ..... .. opppssss ... my mistake .... first off two items .... do you want me to write that to hda10 .. or hda11 .. 11 is the one that we created for back up .... ???

Hi DaleNot hda10 or hda11 . . . but hdb10 . . B) . . . remember: always back up on the other HD :DAnyway it is late here . . we will have to continue tomorrow . . . :) Bruno

I think you are tired too Dale . . . take a break . . . start fresh tomorrow . . ( or a bit later today )B) Bruno

Well to start tomorrow ... with nothing good here .... for sure ..... formatted hdb10 ........ finished off the rest of your post ... except the /mnt would not take ... it kept telling me that it should remain in the root file system (????) .... but the mount did work fine so that part is more or less done ... made the change in LIlo did the sbin ... but (and this does not appear to be any kind of good at all) when I did the kedit /etc/lilo.conf I got the following list of errors .( I think they are errors)Password:[root@localhost dale]# kedit /etc/lilo.confXlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedQPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedXlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedQPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedkbuildsycoca running...kded: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name passed to the constructor!kded: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name passed to the constructor!and on top of all this .... I have to use the boot CD to get into Mndrake 10 and if left alone the computer will boot into the Mndrake 9.0 "Enterprise" .... the entries in the Lilo boot loader for Mandrake 9 and Mandrake 10 are not there anymore. I fear it will be one heck of a day tomorrow ......

but  (and this does not appear to be any kind of good  at all) when I  did the    kedit /etc/lilo.conf  I  got  the following list of  errors  .( I think they are errors)Password:[root@localhost dale]# kedit /etc/lilo.confXlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedQPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedXlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedQPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedkbuildsycoca running...kded: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name passed to the constructor!kded: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name passed to the constructor!
Hi Dale . . . The errors that you get above are nothing to worry about . . . I guess that you did get "kedit" up with the lilo.conf at the end, didn't you ? So then you could just add the Windows-XP part and save the file.( You get these errors because in fact you should use Vi for editing . . but because Vi is hard to handle I let you do it in "kedit" and when you start kedit as root in a user environnement you get to see the errors you just showed . . but they can safely be ignored :lol: )Now, before we go any further, we first want the bootloader set to the Mandrake 10 Lilo . . . . And what is not clear from your post . . . are the files you want to save from Drake 9.0 backed up somewhere ( preferably hdb10 ) ??:D Bruno

Bruno ...Morning ..... now to answer all that I can ... yes I did get the change made in Lilo to add XP to (10.0 Lilo) ... now to change the bootloader to 10 Lilo .. no I have not done that ..... since that when I got those errors I more or less stopped not wanting to do any serious damage (or more than I might have done). I did do the /sbin/lilo in 10 though, but as I said in my last post the machine does not yet boot into 10.0 by default ...... today maybe just maybe today ... now about the hdb10 ... I am at a loss there I did format the hdb10 partition then went back and did the rest of the post you sent (mount, cp -r ,,,, etc etc), but when I click on that partition from the MCC in 10 an click on mount points then partitions it does not list it at partitioned and once again I left it alone so to answer the question I am not sure if that info was backed up there or not ????

Hi DaleIt's becoming all a bit confusing, bu let us try to shed some light :DWe will do the Lilo later . . first the backups: Boot in Drake 9.0 and let me first see the outcome of:

$ su< password ># mount

;) Bruno

To me this does not look to good ... but then I am in a fog too ....Password:[root@localhost dale]# mount/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw)none on /proc type proc (rw)none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)none on /dev type devfs (rw)none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)/dev/hda7 on /home type ext3 (rw)none on /mnt/cdrom type supermount (ro,dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859 -1,codepage=850,umask=0)none on /mnt/cdrom2 type supermount (ro,dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso88 59-1,codepage=850,umask=0)none on /mnt/floppy type supermount (rw,sync,dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=i so8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0)/dev/hda6 on /usr type ext3 (rw)[root@localhost dale]#

Well, it does look good, BUT hdb10 is not mounted . . . . . Second test:

# mount /dev/hdb10 /mnt/hdb10

Does that give an error ??;) Bruno

We will stay in Drake 9.0 till we have the backups safe and sound . .. . . even if that takes the full evening !;) Bruno

@%$#@#$#Not a chance ..... click enter at end of line .... proceed to next line awaiting input .... guess I did not do it right

No disaster yet Dale . . just do:

# cp -r /home/dale /mnt/hdb10/dale# ls /mnt/hdb10/dale

Now you should see what usually is in your /home . . . ;) Bruno

[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/hdb10[root@localhost dale]# cp -r /home/dale /mnt/hdb10/dale[root@localhost dale]# ls /mnt/hdb10/daleDesktop/ Documents/ tmp/[root@localhost dale]#

;) :o Back in 10 .... here it is all that stuff ....Password:[root@localhost dale]# cat /etc/lilo.conf# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this fileboot=/dev/hdb1map=/boot/mapdefault="linux-i686-up-4GB"keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent" vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux-nonfb" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-i686-up-4GB label="linux-i686-up-4GB" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd-i686-up-4GB.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk label="263-7" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="failsafe" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="failsafe acpi=ht devfs=nomount" read-onlyother=/dev/fd0 label="floppy" unsafeother=/dev/hda3 label="Windows-XP" table=/dev/hda[root@localhost dale]#

Good . . looks good to me . . now remember the default boot is the "linux-i686-up-4GB" . . so that is the one you want to boot from after you did:

# /sbin/lilo

Now you reboot and check if indeed you have the new Drake 10 boot-menu . . and you boot the "linux-i686-up-4GB" after that report back to me that all was OK :DB) Bruno

[root@localhost dale]# /sbin/liloAdded linuxAdded linux-nonfbAdded linux-i686-up-4GB *Added 263-7Added failsafeAdded floppyAdded Windows-XP

Good . . we will have to slim that down in a moment . . but first: did you reboot and boot up in the "linux-i686-up-4GB" ??;) Bruno

Very strange !! Very very strange indeed !Okay reboot using the boot-CD in Drake 10 . . . and once in drake 10 do:

$ su< password > # /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda

And try again to reboot after that . . . ;) Bruno

Bruno ....before I re-boot (or try to) this is what the results of he last command arePassword:[root@localhost dale]# /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hdaIgnoring entry 'boot'Added linuxAdded linux-nonfbAdded linux-i686-up-4GB *Added 263-7Added failsafeAdded floppyAdded Windows-XP[root@localhost dale]#