More Partitions . . More Distro's to boot

longgone

:clap: :clap: :o B) ;) Bruno...,,,We have lift off .... rebooted into 10.0 ,, posting now .... Onward into that Valley of Linux .. I shall go ... going where I have not gone before ... opening new distros I have not yet begun to know .... Onward I say ,,, Onward

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

HURRAY !!!Now we have to remember: "/sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda" . . . make a note of that one !!First I want to weed out the lilo of unneeded entries . . . let me see:

# ls -al /boot

;) Bruno

Password:[root@localhost dale]# ls -al /boottotal 6032drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jun 19 12:16 ./drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 Jun 19 12:15 ../-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Jun 19 12:09 boot.0300-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Jun 3 05:24 boot.0341lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Jun 19 12:15 config -> config-2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GB-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54087 Mar 17 06:58 config-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54189 Mar 17 06:19 config-2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GB-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5032 Feb 19 09:03 diag1.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16796 Feb 19 09:03 diag2.imgdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 3 05:09 grub/-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 108741 Jun 3 05:23 initrd-2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GB.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 134353 Jun 3 05:23 initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Jun 3 05:23 initrd-i686-up-4GB.img -> initrd-2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GB.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Jun 3 05:23 initrd.img -> initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 Jun 19 12:16 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GB-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 537 Jun 17 03:07 kernel.h-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 537 Jun 3 07:06 kernel.h-2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GB-rw------- 1 root root 550400 Jun 19 12:09 maplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Jun 18 10:56 message -> message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 442273 Jun 3 05:23 message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116 Jun 3 05:24 message-textlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Jun 19 12:15 System.map -> System.map-2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GB-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 898908 Mar 17 06:58 System.map-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 900900 Mar 17 06:19 System.map-2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GB-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 Jun 3 05:24 us.kltlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Jun 3 05:23 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1440198 Mar 17 06:58 vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1468886 Mar 17 06:19 vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GBlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 Jun 3 05:23 vmlinuz-i686-up-4GB -> vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk-i686-up-4GB[root@localhost dale]#considerable amout there

Okay . . we will make changes in /etc/lilo.conf . . . so "kedit /etc/liloconf" and make the following changes: ( Be carefull and accurate ! )

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this fileboot=/dev/hdb1map=/boot/mapdefault="Mandrake-10" <==============CHANGE !keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="Mandrake-Backup"  <==============CHANGE ! root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent" vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux-nonfb" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-i686-up-4GB label="Mandrake-10"  <==============CHANGE ! root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd-i686-up-4GB.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk  <==============DELETE ! label="263-7"  <==============DELETE ! root=/dev/hdb1  <==============DELETE ! initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img  <==============DELETE ! append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"  <==============DELETE ! read-only  <==============DELETE !image=/boot/vmlinuz label="failsafe" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="failsafe acpi=ht devfs=nomount" read-onlyother=/dev/fd0 label="floppy" unsafeother=/dev/hda3 label="Windows-XP" table=/dev/hda
The save the file and again do:
#  /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda

And let me see the result . . . :DB) Bruno

Here are the results of the menu reduction paln ....[root@localhost dale]# /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hdaIgnoring entry 'boot'Added Mandrake-BackupAdded linux-nonfbAdded Mandrake-10 *Added failsafeAdded floppyAdded Windows-XP[root@localhost dale]#

That looks perfect Dale !!Now remember the "Mandrake-10" is your *normal* boot for Drake 10 . . . the "Mandrake-Backup" is only there only for emergency, if ever the normal kernel refuses to boot we can try that one . . .;) . . .The "linux-nonfb" and "failsafe" are troubleshooters that you will probably never use but they have to be there !So now we have a clear boot-menu . . and now we can add the other 7 distros you will install . . :D :D . . So go ahaid and install Mepis on /dev/hda8 . . at the end of the install just let it place Lilo in the MBR so you can check if Mepis will boot from it . . . . .Later we will place the Drake Lilo back in the MBR and add Mepis to it.Have a good install Dale ! :D :DB) Bruno

:D :o :D I'm back .... :D and Mepis is installed on hda8 (I think/believe) at least that is the one that I selected. Now on to other gliches ... it won't connect to the web ... I had this same problem the first time with Mepis ,,, came back in here to the original thread somewhere around page 9-11 or so .. and got the info you gave me ..as root .... rm -rf /dev/modemln -s /dev/ttys4 /dev/modemmake a sym link from ttys4 to the dev/modem since it does not give me the opportunity to select ttys4 during the install process. Well fudge (with walnuts) it did not work .. I get the error unable to open modem .. tried this twice .. same response both times ... also at the beginning of the install when I selected hda8 it is set up as root (no other partitions), I could not add a home to hda8, is that going to come later, leave it as it is or install again differently ????? ;) :D

Hi DaleNope not install again . . . we will first add Mepis to lilo.As for hda8 and /home . . . it is simple: all is on hda, including /home so that is 100% okay ! That is the way we want it !As for the modem: you should not select /ttys4 when you set up the modem, but /dev/modem . . but more about that later . . let us first do Lilo:Boot into Drake-10 . . and do the following commands:

$ su< password ># mkdir /mnt/hda8# mount /dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8# ls -al /mnt/hda8/boot

And post me the outcome . . ;) Bruno

In 10 and nowPassword:[root@localhost dale]# mkdir /mnt/hda8[root@localhost dale]# mount /dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8[root@localhost dale]# ls -al /mnt/hda8/boottotal 1576drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 19 2004 ./drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4096 Jun 19 2004 ../-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Jun 19 2004 boot.0300-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 38572 Nov 14 2003 config-2.4.22-rw------- 1 root root 36864 Jun 19 2004 map-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 76880 Nov 16 2003 memtest86.bin-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 15352 Nov 20 2003 mepis.bmp*-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 389420 Nov 14 2003 System.map-2.4.22-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1019969 Nov 19 2003 vmlinuz-2.4.22[root@localhost dale]#

Bruno ...........[root@localhost dale]# ls /boot/mepisboot.0300 map mepis.bmp* vmlinuz-2.4.22config-2.4.22 memtest86.bin System.map-2.4.22[root@localhost dale]#

Great . . now we adapt /etc/liloconf again . . . . see here:

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this fileboot=/dev/hdb1map=/boot/mapdefault="Mandrake-10"keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz  label="Mandrake-Backup"  root=/dev/hdb1  initrd=/boot/initrd.img  append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"  vga=788  read-onlyimage=/boot/mepis/vmlinuz-2.4.22        label="Mepis"        root=/dev/hda8      vga=788      read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz  label="linux-nonfb"  root=/dev/hdb1  initrd=/boot/initrd.img  append="devfs=mount acpi=ht"  read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-i686-up-4GB  label="Mandrake-10"   root=/dev/hdb1  initrd=/boot/initrd-i686-up-4GB.img  append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"  read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz  label="failsafe"  root=/dev/hdb1  initrd=/boot/initrd.img  append="failsafe acpi=ht devfs=nomount"  read-onlyother=/dev/fd0  label="floppy"  unsafeother=/dev/hda3  label="Windows-XP"  table=/dev/hda
I inserted a few white lines . . so we get more clarity for future additions ;)After saving the file we do again:
#  /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda

And show me the result ;) :DB) Bruno

Bruno ..... [root@localhost dale]# /Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busysbin/lilo -ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 3045, errno = 0b /dev/hdaIgnoring entry 'boot'Added Mandrake-BackupAdded MepisAdded linux-nonfbAdded Mandrake-10 *Added failsafeAdded floppyAdded Windows-XP[root@localhost dale]#

Not bad Dale . . not bad at all ;) :D :DNow:

# umount /mnt/hda8# reboot

And boot into Mepis to check if it boots . . . then try to configure kppp with /dev/modem . . . . if it does not work come back to Drake . . ;):D Bruno

Bruno ...In order .... a sucessful reboot into Mepis has been accomplished .... a sucessful web connection in Mepis has not ... KPPP is there and I have made the necessary inputs but I keep getting the .... "unable to open modem" error and that is as far as I can get ...... and the next step is ................................... ?

and the next step is ................................... ?
. . LOL . . you're asking me ? . . I have not had dial-up for ages ! . . LOL . . First question would be: Did you have a net-connection when the Mepis was running live ? . . If so what did you do to get connected ?;) Bruno

Bruno ..... No ... did not have a connection running live, did not try it running live, went straight to hard drive install. buttttttttt........... the first time I installed Mepis I had the same problems .... it did not connect live nor on the hard drive ...... but after you posted that info back in the originial thread along about pages 9-12 or somewhere in that area ... I tried it and it did work but this time it would not work ... can't figure out why the first time was good but the second time is sour grapes/apples

Hi DaleThe fact that you could not connect when running live the fist time was a bad sign . . . funny that it did work after the changes and now it did not though . . .Maybe just try again:

$ su< password ># rm -rf /dev/modem# ln -s /dev/ttys4 /dev/modem

Then try to run kppp as root:

$ su< password ># kppp

Configure it and try to connect . . . . maybe it works that way . . . . . . . If not we will just install Knoppix on hda9 and se if we can copy settings from there ( they are both based on Debian )My day is almost done . . . . just remember this for the Knoppix HD install:

$ sudo knoppix-install

And you don not want the partition tool because you already have partitions made . . you just ( and only ) want to use hda9 . . . . . ( if you can choose the type of install, Knoppix or Debian, choose Debian ;) )We will see tomorrow how to add Knoppix to the Drake 10 liloAnd, try if you can connect in Knoppix before the install . . ;):D Bruno

Bruno ....Okay it should be around the time frame of midnight - 2 a.m. there ... I shall attempt those commands ... also ... I was under the impression that Knopix was a live disk ... is this procedure going to make it a permanent (sort of) install ?????

Yep it is 1:15 AM here . . . . ;) . . we had a good evening and did get a lot done . . :D :DIndeed knoppix is a Live CD but you can do an HD install with the code I gave you :

$ sudo knoppix-install

The chances are that connecting to the net is better supported in Knoppix . . ;)See you tomorrow ! ;):D Bruno

Bruno ,,,,, For in the morning ...... no luck at all with a web connect in Mepis .... making this post from Knoppix in the live form ... tried that code you posted but it wil not let me make the install .... but I did find out that if I just used the KPPP dialer I got the same response as I got in Mepis .... "unable to open modem" ... but after clicking on the "chubby penguin" in the lower left ... I can come up with an option on configuring KPPP to point to tttys4 .. after that config. connecting to the web was a doable task then .... c u tomorrow .......

Hi DaleThe installer did not work ? Do you by any chance have a version of Knoppix pre 3.3 ? You can see that before it boots in the right bottom corner of the screen . . . O have no idea what you mean by the "chubby penguin" . . . but if the same is available in Mepis . . . . you could do the same trick there ( ? ) ;);) Bruno

;) :lol: Yawn .......Bruno ,,,,,,,That same sort of option is not available in Mepis ... looked all up an down the menu .... nothing that resembles it at all ...the only version I have of Knoppix is the 3.4 one ..... ... and the "chubby penguin" is a Knoppix icon located in the bottom left corner next to the KDE "start applications" icon .... one noticeable thing in regard to Knoppix desktop ... it has listed each hard drive partition on the machine .... a little hard drive is pictured for each partition ..... so needless to say it can and does load up the desktop pretty much ...

Hi DaleIn the first post today you write:

... tried that code you posted but it will not let me make the install ....
In the second one:
I have of Knoppix is the 3.4 one
I want to focus on that first today . . . because that is very strange: The way to do a hardware install is opening a terminal ( not doing "su" ) but just typing:
sudo knoppix-install

. . . can you show me exactly what happens if you give that command ??B) Bruno

Bruno ...... B) :D ..... Okay .... put the Knoppix CD in and let it rip ...... and when all is said and done I open a terminal which will have the $ there and then immediately after that I type ... sudo knoppix-install ..... I might (not positiive, that was last night) have been trying to make that command as root and not as a user doing sudo I will give it a try ... be back later ......

@#$% !! . . Thanks Quint . . I copied that command . . but it did not take the last part with it ! :DSorry Dale . . . "installer" it is !! ;)B) Bruno