More Partitions . . More Distro's to boot

longgone

Bruno ..,,,Well .... I could try that again .. but now I have also tried to make a web connection in Mandrake 9.0, 10.0 and Knoppix 3.4 .... and I get the same error in all three no. 19 which says the pppd daemon died (poor feller/gal) ... if I click on the details button it tells me that the pppd bug dectect is not installed and goes on to ask if I want it or not .. I by pass that and the end result is that I get this error when I tried to establish a new connection ... it tells me that I need a "unique account name" .... (?????) ... so I click on the "accounting tab ... which lists a bunch of countries ,, none of which are selected ,, they are greyed out and after that I am totally lost, out to lunch, in the blind whatever you want to call it .... none of this was happening until I started to update the various ..... update sources I had listed in the Media Manager portion of the "software manager" section of the MCC ..... the last time I had access to that area .. I saw also that the CD disk #1 entry was no longer on the list, I do not recall selecting it to be deleted ... but it is no longer there .... to me it is very suspect that the same error is reported on 3 different Linux OS's .... I do not understand how something I did in Mndrk 10.0 can also cause a like effect in Mndrk 9.0 and in Knoppix 3.4 .... ?????????

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that is what is puzzling me too Dale . . . also I do not understand why you were trying to get updates for contrib . . . usually you get the updates for the distro in general, so I am not sure what you were trying to attempt there . . . Could you boot a live CD and see if you get a webconnection there ??:( Bruno

Bruno .....I am unable to explain this, maybe you can shed a lot of light on this for me ... I went back to Mandrake 10.0 like you said .. and did a new setup for the web connection .... and now I am posting to you from Mandrake 10.0 ... I still got the same " unique name" request when I was setting up the connection and it would not let me proceed past that point ... I cancelled that part out and continued and now I have a web connection ... I do not know if I will have one in 9.0 and Knoppix or not but I have it in 10.0. What I was doing by updates is in the "Media Manager" section on the right there is a column that lists several items, one of which is update ... I take to to mean that whichever items are selected on the left that when you click on the updates it will update those that are selected which I assume are stored in memory on the computer ... I am probably wrong on that but anyhow that is what I was attempting to do .... so there you have it ... what a morning It has been here

Hi DaleMan . . this gets so complicated . . : First "No more updating sources for a while" till we got this sorted out !Now the web-connection: By any chance do you have the shorewall firewall enabled ?? And is it configured correctly ? Could it be that that was blocking all web-connections ? To check this: Did it dial-in okay but you just could not get a webpage ?:( Bruno

Bruno ....If there is a firewall active it is by default .. I did not intentionally set one up separate from the OS .... what would happen is I would click on the KPPP from the "Start" menu, most used applications section .. then when that window opened I would click on connect and then it started that process ... I could hear it dialing and all .. it would give the indication connecting to the network but it never did connect ...that is when I got the error 19 PPP daemon died .... same thing every time I tried to connect ... until this time ... ??????? .... I am also concerned about that portion that says I need to enter a "unique account" name ... I have never run accross that before

Well, it is not the firewall then . . . .

error 19 PPP daemon died
Is a code I do not know . . . . hope you will not get it again and all is okay now . . . :( Bruno

Bruno ....Usually that error is associated with the ISP and the server ... it would happen if I was not current in my account and the ISP has blocked me from accessing the server .. which is not the case .. it can also happen if the server is experiencing problems at there end ... later I will check on 9.0 and Knoppix and see what happens there ... now on to other things ... what is next .... fix that MCC software manager section or something else

I have the suspision that your ISP changed the DNS nameserver settings and that Windows adapted to the new settings automatically . .and Linux did not . . . Now the MCC . . . tell me, are the 3 CDs still listed ??:( Bruno

:( :devil: Bruno,,,If that is/was the case ... how long would I have been in the dark trying to establish a connection .... ????? and yes the 3 Disks are still listed and now I can also get into the Media section of the Software Manager ... I am sooo confused ....

Dale . . . take a break . . . get some coffee . . . . . . . shut down the computer . . .and you will see that in 30 minutes all will be 100% okay :( :devil: :o :DB) Bruno

Dale . . if you can get into the Media Manager . . just remove unneeded sources . . . leave only the CDs ( 3 or 4 ) and the "Update" source . . . . remove "contrib" and all the others . . . . .you can always add those later if you need them !:( Bruno

Bruno .....They are there I just disabled them ..... now all that is enabled are the 3 CD disks 2,3,4 and update source ...

Well, that is a good start :D :DNow, we have connection in Drake . . . try to do the same trick in Knoppix we want that one online too :DB) Bruno

:D Wellll..... dum de dum de dum .... :whistling: :whistling: .. Knoppix works just fine and I did not a thing here .... so what is next on the menu ...... or shall .. we just wait for a fresh start tomorrow .... of course it would be nice to get CD disk 1 back on that update from list .. but ... I am just glad to get what I got right now

Here it is ............Password:[root@localhost dale]# cat /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfgInstallation\ CD\ 2\ (x86)\ (cdrom2) removable://mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS2 { hdlist: hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz with_hdlist: ../../Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz removable: /dev/hdc key-ids: 70771ff3}Installation\ CD\ 3\ (x86)\ (cdrom3) removable://mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS3 { hdlist: hdlist.Installation CD 3 (x86) (cdrom3).cz with_hdlist: ../../Mandrake/base/hdlist3.cz removable: /dev/hdc key-ids: 70771ff3}Installation\ CD\ 4\ (x86)\ (cdrom4) removable://mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS4 { hdlist: hdlist.Installation CD 4 (x86) (cdrom4).cz with_hdlist: ../../Mandrake/base/hdlist4.cz removable: /dev/hdc key-ids: 70771ff3}update_source ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...dates/10.0/RPMS { hdlist: hdlist.update_source.cz with_hdlist: ../base/synthesis.hdlist.cz list: list.update_source key-ids: 22458a98 update synthesis}flash http://macromedia.rediris.es/urpmi/mandrake/10.0/RPMS { hdlist: hdlist.flash.cz with_hdlist: synthesis.hdlist.cz list: list.flash ignore synthesis}thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.0/RPMS { hdlist: hdlist.thacs.rpms.cz with_hdlist: hdlist.cz list: list.thacs.rpms ignore}plfplf ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0 { hdlist: hdlist.plfplf.cz with_hdlist: hdlist.cz list: list.plfplf key-ids: caba22ae ignore}club.contrib_ftp.nl.uu.net_i586_10.0Official ftp://ftp.nl.uu.net/pub/linux/Mandrakelin...eclub/10.0/i586 { hdlist: hdlist.club.contrib_ftp.nl.uu.net_i586_10.0Official.cz with_hdlist: hdlist.cz list: list.club.contrib_ftp.nl.uu.net_i586_10.0Official ignore}eslrahc http://www.eslrahc.com/10.0 { hdlist: hdlist.eslrahc.cz with_hdlist: hdlist.cz list: list.eslrahc key-ids: 8b9e12ab ignore}NORLUG-10.0 http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/norlug/...drake-10.0/RPMS { hdlist: hdlist.NORLUG-10.0.cz with_hdlist: hdlist.cz list: list.NORLUG-10.0 key-ids: 8c55bf81 ignore}[root@localhost dale]#

Hi DaleOpen it as root with kedit:

sukedit  /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

And add this on TOP:

Installation\ CD\ 1\ (x86)\ (cdrom1) removable://mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS { hdlist: hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz with_hdlist: ../../Mandrake/base/hdlist1.cz removable: /dev/hdc key-ids: 70771ff3}

Save the file and start the MCC and see if it is added to the sources . . . :D Bruno

:whistling: :whistling: :D Ahhhh ..... life is once again back to normal (somewhat) ... it is back where it should be .... thank you ... now should we continue or call it a day and see what tomorrow brings ... :D

HURRAY !!!Well see for yourself if you still want to do a little install . . :D :whistling: . . . of Slackware to replace Mepis . . . Look this is the new setup I have in mind:

hda1 ... 1.9 Drake9hda3 ... 34    XPhda5 ...    SWAPhda6 ... 3.8 Drake9hda7 ... 9.7 Drake9- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - hda8 ... 6.8 Slackwarehda9 ... 6.8 Knoppixhda10 .. 6.8 SUSE= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = hdb1 ... 1.9 Drake10hdb5 ... 3.9 Drake10hdb6 ... 9.7 Drake10 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - hdb7 ... 7.0 Debianhdb8 ... 7.0 Fedorahdb9 ... Keep empty for future new things
You can see that I planned SUSE 9.1 on hda10 . . . you will have to see if you can get the "personal edition", that is fro free download now, if you can get that from a CD-service . . . it would be nice to have SUSE in the mix too :whistling: :DB) Bruno

:D :whistling: Wellllllllllllll........... I will check and see what CD services might have SuSE available ... I do not look forward to attempting a d/l of a whole OS on dial up .... I might have no hair left by the time it is done ... well .. we could do Slack 9.1 ... in place of Mepis ... but how am I gonna get it to go where Mepis was ... that is the question ....

but how am  I gonna  get  it  to  go  where Mepis was ... that  is the question  ....
Well . . that is VERY simple . . just install Slackware on hda8 .. . . . . it will just overwrite Mepis :D :whistling: . . . no problem !You could go in the MCC and with the partition tool re-format hda8 ( only format, no other action ) . . but normal;ly that is not even needed because Slack will do a format on it as you tell it to take hda8 to install Slack . . ( do not use the partition tool from Slack, the partitions are already made, so skip that part !!! ):whistling: BrunoPS: We will put out a question in the SUSE thread if someone wants to send you a copy of the 9.1 personal ;)See: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=ST&f=14&t=7567

Yast I can ... . BTW ..... found SuSE 9.1 Personal .. two different sites .... I am assuming that it is a one CD setup since that is all that is being offered unless I get the boxed set and then I get 2 CD's at 5 times the cost tooooo

Go for it Dale ! That is the spirit !!! :DSee you tomorrow . . . . ( If you check after the install that Slack boots . . . . then do resotre the Drake Lilo and we will do the "add-to-Lilo-trick" tomorrow :D ) ( You need the long command to restore lilo "/sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda" ):whistling: Bruno

:whistling: :whistling: :D :D Bruno.,.,.Welllll...... I think it was a successful Slack install .... it did not boot into it when I did the ctrl-alt-del at the end .. but I saw no errors ... during the install .... Lilo went to the Superblock ... I did not write it to the MBR (had bad experience with that already) .... gonna wait until tomorrow ... for the rest

Good . . okay we will see tomorrow if it boots then . . . . . I might already post the instructions in a minute . . so you can do them whenever you like :DB) Bruno