• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: ;) :hmm: Bruno,,,...As I said if I did it I have no idea how I did it but this looks to me like I did it, but I still do not know how ???????Password:linux:/home/dale # ls /boot. Kerntypes-2.6.5-7.95-default.. mapbackup_mbr messageboot symvers-2.6.5-7.95-i386-default.gzboot.0300 System.map-2.6.5-7.95-defaultconfig-2.6.5-7.95-default vmlinux-2.6.5-7.95-default.gzgrub vmlinuzinitrd vmlinuz-2.6.5-7.95-defaultinitrd-2.6.5-7.95-defaultlinux:/home/dale #

LOL . . . Dale . . . the kerenel upgrade is done !! . . you have the new kernel already :hmm: :PWhat we have to do now is to boot into Mandrake and do a few tweaks over there so you can boot this new kernel if you choose "SUSE" from the Drake bootloader.:hmm: Bruno

Here is the first part DaleBe careful with these commands . . . there is a very dangerous one ( the first after < password > ) that can cause havoc if you make a typo ;)Stop at the first command that returns an error . . .

$ su< password ># rm -rf /boot/suse# mount /dev/hda10 /mnt/hda10# cp -r /mnt/hda10/boot /boot/suse# ls -l /boot/suse# umount  /mnt/hda10

:hmm: Bruno

:hmm: :hmm: ;) Bruno ....I am hoping that all went well with those commands, at the command ls -l /boot/suse .. after I clicked the enter(return)it displayed a lot of info did not even wait for me to do the umount command but here is what came out .. Password:[root@localhost dale]# rm -rf /boot/suse[root@localhost dale]# mount /dev/hda10 /mnt/hda10[root@localhost dale]# cp -r /mnt/hda10/boot /boot/suse[root@localhost dale]# ls -l /boot/susetotal 5588-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Jul 14 05:04 backup_mbrlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 1 Jul 14 05:04 boot -> ./-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Jul 14 05:04 boot.0300-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 55534 Jul 14 05:04 config-2.6.5-7.95-defaultdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 14 05:04 grub/lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jul 14 05:04 initrd -> initrd-2.6.5-7.95-default-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1220114 Jul 14 05:04 initrd-2.6.5-7.95-default-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 115852 Jul 14 05:04 Kerntypes-2.6.5-7.95-default-rw------- 1 root root 154112 Jul 14 05:04 map-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 83456 Jul 14 05:04 message-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 79348 Jul 14 05:04 symvers-2.6.5-7.95-i386-default.gz-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 741035 Jul 14 05:04 System.map-2.6.5-7.95-default-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1737511 Jul 14 05:04 vmlinux-2.6.5-7.95-default.gzlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Jul 14 05:04 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.5-7.95-default-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1468857 Jul 14 05:04 vmlinuz-2.6.5-7.95-default[root@localhost dale]# umount /mnt/hda10[root@localhost dale]#

Great . . that went well !! ;)Now the next step . . . replace the SUSE entry in the Drake LILO

# kedit /etc/lilo.conf

This is the new part:

image=/boot/suse/vmlinuz-2.6.5-7.95-default        label="SUSE"        initrd=/boot/suse/initrd-2.6.5-7.95-default        optional        root=/dev/hda10        vga=0x317        append="splash=silent desktop resume=/dev/hda5 showopts"

Do remove the OLD part ;)And then show me:

# cat /etc/lilo.conf

:hmm: Bruno

Here is what it is[root@localhost dale]# cat /etc/lilo.confMutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this fileboot=/dev/hdb1map=/boot/mapdefault="Mandrake-10"keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="Mandrake-Backup" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent" vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/slack/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.22 label="Slackware" root=/dev/hda8 append="hdc=ide-scsi" vga=791 read-onlyimage=/boot/knoppix/vmlinuz-2.4.26 label="Knoppix-24" root=/dev/hda9 initrd=/boot/knoppix/initrd.img-2.4.26 vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/knoppix/vmlinuz-2.6.6 label="Knoppix-26" root=/dev/hda9 initrd=/boot/knoppix/initrd.img-2.6.6 vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/suse/vmlinuz-2.6.5-7.95-default label="SUSE" initrd=/boot/suse/initrd-2.6.5-7.95-default optional root=/dev/hda10 vga=0x317 append="splash=silent desktop resume=/dev/hda5 showopts"image=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux-nonfb" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-i686-up-4GB label="Mandrake-10" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd-i686-up-4GB.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="failsafe" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="failsafe acpi=ht devfs=nomount" read-onlyother=/dev/fd0 label="floppy" unsafeother=/dev/hda3 label="Windows-XP" table=/dev/hda[root@localhost dale]# ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 2781, errno = 0

Okay .......... here it is .....[root@localhost dale]# /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hdaIgnoring entry 'boot'Added Mandrake-BackupAdded SlackwareAdded Knoppix-24Added Knoppix-26Added SUSEAdded linux-nonfbAdded Mandrake-10 *Added failsafeAdded floppyAdded Windows-XP[root@localhost dale]#

Looks good to me !! . . . We should now be able to boot SUSE from the bootmenu when you do a reboot . . . . . So let's go for it . . boot SUSE . . and go and install "kedit" on there so the next time we will have less problems . . . . ;):hmm: Bruno

Uh huh .... okay ... where am I to find this "kedit" (and his/her cousins) to download and install . are they hid out someplace at the YasT update site ??????

:hmm: ;) :hmm: After all my searching .... I still have not found the find box ... in YasT ... is it hidden in some other heading .... ??????

Dale . . when you open YAST . . you see 6 pics . . . left top: "online update" . . . . . . . right top: "Install and Remove Software"The right top one is the one you want . . click on it and you get the package manager . . . with on the left "Search" in bold . . . ;):hmm: Bruno

Uh Uh .... not working ... type "kedit" in the search box and the response I get is no results ..... and I went through each individual listing and there is no "kedit" listed either ..... someone must have left it at the bus depot

And Gedit ?? . . . or Kwrite ??And find-utils ( or findutils )And find-utils-locate ?? ( We DO need this one !! ):hmm: Bruno

Bruno.............Well .. gedit was not loaded nor selected in the programs list ... I selected and loaded it from the Disk .. but when I attempted # gedit /etc/lilo.conf it gives me the command not found response ..... the other two you asked about are listed and checked according to the listing. Kwrite is not on the list nor is Kedit... emacs is there but it is not checked so it is not installed .... :Djoe and pico are listed and checked also

Well, like it turns out: you will have no "easy" editor in SUSE . . . . you will have to learn Vi . . if you like it or not Vi is the only one that will work ( emacs is even harder to learn then Vi ).So here is the choice: start your study of Vi today . . . . . OR dump SUSE alltogether . . . . Here is the link to my Vi tutorial again: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=213 :DB) Bruno

Fudge ....... esc i and the other one .......... insert .. command mode and save or commands to that effect ... time to dig out the papers and start to study >>>>> @$%%&^#^#

Fudge .......            esc        i     and   the other one  ..........  insert  .. command mode and save   or   commands  to that  effect  ...  time to dig out the papers and start to study     >>>>>  @$%%&^#^#
:sweatingbullets: . . Looks like you have the basics there . . :"> :drooling: . . . . have a nice evening Dale !! :happyroll::w00t: Bruno

:sweatingbullets: :"> I knew I downloaded that Linux course at Linux.org for a reason ... (just was not sure why) guess I need to open up the notebook and start noting (???) ... night Bruno .. maybe tomorrow ... tackle debian or fedora on the hdb side ...... or maybe even just take time off again .......................

Dale.....vi is very simple, but different. Say you need to edit foo.conf......

# vi /path/to/foo.conf

Note that you need to be root or su to edit most system files. I always edit as root, otherwise I might not be able to save the changes, if the files require root to write the file.When you enter the command, you will be presented with a new screen. It will show the file, and you will be able to use your arrow keys to navigate through it.vi makes a nice text file viewer but we came here to edit the file, right? :PTo enable edit (a.k.a. insert) mode, simply hit the Insert key. Now you can move the pointer around, add text, delete text, whatever you need to do. Simple! When you are done editing, simply hit the Escape key to go back to view mode. Now, if you want to save your changes and exit, hold down the Shift key and hit Z twice. The file will be saved, and you will be back at the command prompt.If you do not want to save the file, type:

:q!

and hit enter. you have not saved the chages you have made.I found a neat little Quick Reference here. There are a lot of options and shortcuts in vi, but it is simple, until you get used to the easy ones. Then you will want to learn the really cool features! :sweatingbullets:

ross549.,.,.You make it sound all to simple .. and it even looks simple (brings a certain phrase to mind) but one small, but yet large question ......CODE# vi /path/to/foo.confin our example (which did not come out as planned) you have the word "/path/to/" now where do I obtain that information from .... that has always been bugging me this path thing. I guess if I knew the how, where, what about that little critter it would be much more clear. On a totally unreleated subject .... how/what button do I manage to get what I quote/code into those boxes. I imagine that it is one of those buttons at the top of the page but which one I don't have a clue. I have tried several times but each time I do the print out does not come back in that box ... what is the secret ?????

Dale, when you are entering the mesage you want to post there is a button that says "Quote" under the boxes for FONT, SIZE, COLOR. Press the QUOTE button, paste or type what should appear in the box, and press the QUOTE button again.Vi can be a bear until you get used to it--these days we're not used to the "line" editor, we usually think in terms of a "full screen" editor. To me, vi's advantage is it's on any (to my knowledge) unix or linux system, so when all else fails, it's there. I more or less got used to it when it was all that was available to me on a unix system, but it takes some working with it to be comfortable.

Dale, are you using SuSE 9.0 or 9.1? I know I had kwrite with 9.0 and I'm pretty sure I have it on 9.1. Did you install from media or do the FTP install?