• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• teacher

• ross549

Top Posters In This Topic

ColinI will be off line soon . . . Before you start: Do you have a boot-CD for PCLos ?? And does it work ??We want to be sure you do NOT overwrite hda1, hda7, hda8 and hda9hda1 = Windowshda7 = Mepishda8 = swaphda9 = PCLosSo resize hda5 and hda6 . . those are the "free" partitions . . . and rezize them with the Mandrake installer tool while doing the install . . Good night . . . see you tomorrow !B) Bruno

Thanks BrunoWill catch you tomorrowI have the PCLos RESCUE CD If that's what you meanI'm off back into PCLos for the hard drive infoColin

I figured out the HD info for you from previous threads Colin:hda1 = C: Windowshda5 = D:hda6 = E:hda7 = Mepishda8 = swaphda9 = PCLos

Thanks BrunoNow struggling with "Do I need to Uninstall More Programms that are on D"Did about 6 this afternoon and wondering if I leave some on D and do NOT uninstall WILL that affect the Windows rebooting and What will happen with PCLos Lilo B) :medic: :medic: Colin as usual

how much free space do you have on D?if you have enough, you don't need to uninstall any more... Just resize and go... won't affect anything B)

Now RyanHadn't thought of that BUT which part of the resizing would I put MDK 10???Also It may be appropriate to an Ontracks version of Symantecs Windoctor first as I Have Ontracks System Suite Colin B)

yes, you should defrag D first....doesn't matter which part of the two partitions you put Mandrake on...

Well ryan/BrunoIt's back into windows for either a Windows Defrag of D or whatever it is in System SuiteFingers Crossed B) OOPS that was the EYESColin :D

I don't know system suite, so can't help you with it, but I do recommend using the standard windows defrag (Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools-> Defrag)

ColinWhile you are in Windows:Print this out:hda1 = C: Windowshda5 = D:hda6 = E:hda7 = Mepishda8 = swaphda9 = PCLos And stick it on your monitor !B) Bruno

Sure will BrunoBut just remembered :D bruno MDK 10 Install sheets that I have may change here as I have to resize etcOH BOY :) :w00t: :w00t: what am I letting myself in for againColin B)

Colin:6th screen: The DrakX Partitioning wizard found etc. etc. . . there you choose "costom disk partitioning" . . that is the only change in the "how-to"B) Bruno

Great BrunoWill have this all beside me after i do an Ontrack's System Suite JetDefrag on "D"This wont affect my PCLos Lilo will it Bruno if so it may wiser to leave it till tomorrow Colin

It will sure overwrite your PCLos lilo . . that is why you have the rescue CD for PCLos . . . B) Bruno

PART 2You better listen to Ryan and use the default Windows defragger . . and not the Ontrack's System Suite JetDefragB) Bruno

OOPS Ryan/Brunohave NEVER used Windows Defrag at all it has been System Suite all the way and I think they compute (not the right word) the defrags their own different wayscolin

ColinWhatever you do:Do NOT make extra partitions . . . because your PCLos boot CD will not work if the numbers ( hda9 ) change !!Your boot CD points to hda9 and if that changes you can not boot with the boot CDB) Bruno

OOPS BrunoThen if I resize HDA5 to a 5G & 6.7G it WILL change that & PCLOs will NOT be on HDA 9. Is this what I am hearing :D Colin B)

not exactly....you resize hda5 to 5 gig and hda6 to the 6.7 (or whatever it is)... then everything else will stay the same B)

HMmmmmmmmm RyanThat does not compute cos'Then there would be Hda1 WindowsHd5 5. Old Dhd? 6.7Hd6 Ehd 7 MepisHd 8 SwapHd9 PCLosSurely Hd? 6.7 would become another # not ? and change all the restColin B)

Colin, hda6 (or E, as you like to call it), will no longer exist according to windows. It needs to be resized, and have Drake 10 put on it.

AdamWhat I have is D = 11.7G & E = 0.97G sp if only D is resized into 5 & 6.7G then that puts an extra Partion inSo possibly it is combine D & E and then resize, Sound RightBut boy combining them seems a little avanced for an explorer :o Colin :D

Colin, you will NOT be crating a new partition...D will be shrunk down, and E will be enlarged to fit the open space. Your partition numbers will stay the same. Then, you will install linux on the E drive.

AdamSurely D needs to merge with E to give 12.7G and then partioned to have D @ 5G & E @7.7 or so and this one to put MDK 10 omThis gives me the willies :o :D :'( as to How the resizing etc is to be done in DrakeMighty have to look up HOW MDK's Partitioning tool works to settle the Butterfiles :) needed.Oh well It's early daysColin :D (I think)