• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• quint

hi Bruno01downloads is a file with all my downloads on Windows drive D that I tries to open but got that messageThe action associated with "01downloads" is invalid.You can configure GNOME to associate a different application or viewer with this file type. Do you want to associate an application or viewer with this file type now?Colin :thumbsup:

LOL . . Colin . . . Is /windows/D mounted ??

#  mount /dev/hda5  /windows/D

And try to click the icon again . . :thumbsup: Bruno

Yeah BrunoI went back to your console commands and remounted them.This is what I get from Console now--->>.kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ suPassword:[root@localhost kamicota]# mount /dev/hda5 /windows/Dmount: /dev/hda5 already mounted or /windows/D busymount: according to mtab, /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5 is already mounted on /windows/D[root@localhost kamicota]#Colin :thumbsup:

[root@localhost kamicota]# ls /windows/D00Z/ EPSON Software/ recycled/01cd/ FinePixViewer/ Roxio/01downloads/ Firebird 0.7/ SpywareBlaster/01fuji/ FreshDevices/ SpywareGuard/Adobe/ gimp/ StarOffice7/AnalogX/ gtk+/ Tacmi/Application Data/ ID-Blaster Plus/ temp/ArcSoft/ Jasc Software Inc/ temporary/Blighty Design/ MailWasher/ Ulead/bootit/ Mediostream/ Ulead Systems/bootload/ Mgutil/ unzips/Browser Hijack Blaster/ Mozilla.org/ vcom/CleanReg3/ mpx/ VCW VicMan's Photo Editor/Common Files/ MRU-Blaster/ Video2Photo/Corel/ OpenOffice.org1.1.0/ wet/CyberLink/ pixela/ WinGuides/DesignPro/ Pixel Studio/ WinZip/dia/ PolderBackup/ WUTemp/dvd-ram/ Program Files/ xnview/epson/ QuickTime/ zips/[root@localhost kamicota]#Colin :thumbsup:

Got the Icons back on Gnome desktopBut this what I get when trying to access whats in "D/01downloads"The action associated with "01downloads" is invalid.You can configure GNOME to associate a different application or viewer with this file type. Do you want to associate an application or viewer with this file type now?Boy did I ever get a pig in the poke from linux central with MDK 10 :huh:  :thumbsup:  :D Colin  :'(
Colin . . I am quoting this again . . .because it should not link to "D/01downloads" . . but "/windows/D/01downloads" . . ;):'( Bruno

ColinThe problem with that shortcut is that once you reboot you have to mount the windows drives before you can use it . . . so /windows/D/01downloads is not a very handy shortcut to have . . . :DB) Bruno

BrunoI didn't make it a shortcutWhen we mounted the c,D,E drives the drives were put as Icons on the desktopAnd when I use Nautilus to access anything in any of Windows drives i get the message--->>>The action associated with "...file name..." is invalid.You can configure GNOME to associate a different application or viewer with this file type. Do you want to associate an application or viewer with this file type now?Colin :thumbsup:

Boy o boy . . . I think somebody at Linux central has been making his own version of Mandrake 10 and selling them as "Official" . . . . this is all too weird for words . . . . . . Colin . . . a few more days and we can download the REAL Official Official Mandrake 10.0 Official . . . that will solve a lot of these very unusual problems ;)How is the install of PCLos ??:thumbsup: Bruno

Yeah I think your right about Linux central.Even the gremlins awere at work there cant' find any record of my purchase on Ebay to ask about it and the email i received about it's mailing was lost when I lost PCLos Oh well thats the way the cookie crumblesBut It sure is NOT giving me any good vibes about MDK 10PCLos I'm hoping my friend has burned me a copy of it and can install it later tonight or tomorrowColin :thumbsup:

Like I said Colin . . . . I suspect this is not the real Drake 10 Official . . . . but the work of some idiot that thought he could make the Drake 10 install CDs himself with the components he found on the net . . . . . Because 10 Official is not officially available yet . . . only for Club-Members it is, and they are not free to go and sell it on Linux Central . . . . . This was smelling a bit fishy from the start . . . and once the problems with running KDE ( while you had no XFree problems because you could start Gnome ) and all the rest of the funny things we encountered, the smell got really ugly :(So let us concentrate on PCLos and we will come back to Mandrake once the official is officially released ;):thumbsup: Bruno

Yep will do BrunoI'll continue with Gnome though and get some further experiencesCatch you hopefully when PCLos is on my systemCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup: :D

One thought about PCLos install when it arrives hopefully tonight.Wouldn't it be easier to Install PCLos and replace the Glitched MDK 10 install By the way Bruno I sent an email off to Linux Central about the Apparently Corrupt MDK 10 CD'sCheers for YearsColin :D

Hi ColinWe will replace Mandrake soon with a REAL version . . . so better not make it too confusing and place PCLos where it used to be on hda9 ;):D Bruno

I purchase from Linux Central all the time but looking at the site I seriously suspect it's Mandrake 10.0 Cmmunity they're selling as official.Whether its a mistake or not is anyone's guess. :D

Hi JohannThey specifically advertised the EXACT release date of "Official" and THAT it WAS "Official" as they STILL had Community for sale tooYEP Bruno :D hda9 it isColin :D

Yeah Bruno :lol: :) hda9 looks like it will have it's new host sometime this evening our time.Hoping Linux Central offers a "non corrupt" replacement MDK 10 if they have one :o BUT we willjust have to wait and see :whistling: Cheers for YearsColin :D

Hi AllAnother tale in the MDK 10 Saga Linux Central asked me to check "rpm -K --nosignature *.rpm" on the CD's and of course there is "No files Found"There suggestion seems to be could be Hardwar e compatability and Not there media.Still have NO explanation WHY ONLY KDE will NOT Load :) Curioser & Curioser :lol: Colin :whistling:

ColinWhat did you really expect? :) They probably get lots of folks that don't know how to install and thus complain the software is bad. Their response would then be to automatically assume it is a user fault unless you complain frequently.Julia

Hi ColinIt can not be your hardware:1) Gnome gives no problems so XFree is working on your hardware2) PClos uses KDE 3.2 too, and that never gave you any troubles . . you even had less problems then some of us had with switching from KDE 3.1 to 3.2 . . and then later to 3.2.1 . . . also the upgrade of XFree was smooth on your hardware.3) PCLos uses the same libraries as Mandrake 10 !:) Bruno

Hi Bruno/TeacherHere is the latest response from Linux central and I do NOT :lol: Know how to respond or carry out what they say--->>>Dear Mr. Colin,The RPMs are not located in the root of the CD. You need to change directory to where the RPMS are located. I'm certain your technical ability will lead you to that location. ( Mandrake/RPMS, Mandrake/RPMS2Mandrake/RPMS3, etc...)Linux Central goes to great lengths to assure the data and the media are in tact before they leave our locations. Multiple QA processes are in place to assure you receive working media. However, Linux Central does not guarantee or warrant the software on the CD. We can only guarantee the media. In your case the media is readable which lends your situation to be a problem with the software or perhaps some compatibility issue. I can not speak to that in detail, as Linux Central does not offer technical support. The process briefly described below checks the MD5SUMS of the RPM packages. This is a further check to indicate the data on the CD is in n the state that it is expected to be in.Should you feel you have bad media, please contact Ms. Hill for an RMA and you can return the CDs for a refund.Thank youBradley GlonkaThis was my part of my reply--->>>>> I Booted into Mandrake 10 Gnome and DID a CD Check for --->>> >> >> rpm -K --nosignature *.rpm >> And the reult on AL 4 CD's was "No Files Found"Colin :) :D :whistling:

ColinWhat they are saying is that you should: ( On CD1 )

# cd  /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS# rpm -K --nosignature *.rpm

( on CD 2 )

# cd  /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS2# rpm -K --nosignature *.rpm

( on CD 3 )

# cd  /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS3# rpm -K --nosignature *.rpm

But the list you get is long so you better do:

# rpm -K --nosignature *.rpm > check1.txt

So you get a readable textfile in /home/colin that you can check.B) Bruno

PART 2ColinI would prefer if they would send you the MD5SUMs for the CDs, so you can check the full CDs and not only the rpms for their integrity :DB) Bruno

Boy Bruno B) thats a heck of a lot of rigamarole to do all thatThink I'll just ask Linux central to send me the MD5checksums and see where that leads me, but have to boot into Windows first for the email. :) :D :P Now Have PCLos live so looks like that takes greater priority before MDK 10 checks & balances Colin :D

Colin,Forget about Linux Central ! . . . Those few bucks . . . there are more important things to focus on ;)B) Bruno