MDK 10 here

kamicota

Hi Sonic et AdamNo Error messagesWhen I set the 24bpp it was the 16 million colors samer as windowsBu you might be right there too as i had a few reservations about going that high with Linux too :o Looks like Install # 3 on the weay eh B) :D :D Colin :D

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• quint

Hi Et-alWe ARE in MDK 10 :D B) :D :o BUT NOT in KDE we are in GNOME so OOPSY I Booted with the 263-7 not Linux whatever that option meant.So there seems to be some conflicts with KDEColin :D

SonicDragon

can you post:cat /etc/lilo.confI don't have much experience with mandrake or KDE, but bruno will be here tomorrow to help you out with that. I wonder if 263-7 is the 2.6 kernel? :D Anyway, congrats on the install! Gnome isn't so bad, but i'm sure we'll get KDE up and running somehow!

[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ cat /etc/lilo.conf# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="linux"keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux" root=/dev/hda7 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda8 splash=silent" vga=788 read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux-nonfb" root=/dev/hda7 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda8" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk label="263-7" root=/dev/hda7 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda8 splash=silent" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="failsafe" root=/dev/hda7 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda8 devfs=nomount" read-onlyother=/dev/hda1 label="windows" table=/dev/hdaother=/dev/fd0 label="floppy" unsafe[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$

can you post:cat /etc/lilo.confI don't have much experience with mandrake or KDE, but bruno will be here tomorrow to help you out with that. I wonder if 263-7 is the 2.6 kernel?  :D Anyway, congrats on the install! Gnome isn't so bad, but i'm sure we'll get KDE up and running somehow!
Yes it is SonicDragon.

Heck Sonic/Adami :D Would never have guessed 263.7 could be the 2.6 kernelOOPS :D I can feel it now :D a forum kick up the rear AS I UPDATED MNK 10 from IceWM OOPS B) Well I did the" cat /etc/lilo.conf"But haven't a clue what it all means.Gnome not my cup of tea thoughColin :o

Adam B) I haven't got a CLUE :o All I know is I updated in IceWM and booted into gnome tried another update and it seems as if there are NONE to updateAnother Glitch :D the Computer stalls on Shutdown and I have to do a cold shut downComputer Still hangs up at 42% and at installing peripheralscolin :D

That certainly is bizarre colin. I would let Bruno take a peek at this in the morning. :)I suspect the two issues are related.

Bizarre :o :o :o DEFINITELY BUT :D Both Canon & Epson are PRINTING :o :o :D B) :D :o So It's not TOTALLY Bizarre eh :D OOPS its KDE that stalls on Initializing PeripheralsHECK Adam CAN NOT wait til Bruno comes on line :P I STILL have lots more to EXPLORE & Play with eh Colin :D

SonicDragon
I can feel it now  a forum kick up the rear AS I UPDATED MNK 10 from IceWM OOPS
Doing the updates from IceWM should not be a problem. What happens when you run them? Did they finish. Are you "up to date"?
can NOT find my Windows Drives in Gnome
Looks for:/mnt/hda/mnt/windows/windowsIf none of those are there, you probably have to mount the drive. Open up a terminal and type:mount /dev/hda /windowsThen browse to /windows.*if you get an error such as "permission denied" or "only root can do that" etc etc, do this:su<password>mount /dev/hda /windowsFrom them on, you will need to be "su" before accessing windows, which is not ideal, but i'm sure bruno can come up with a fix as well as get it to "automount"

HECK SonicI seem to have STIRRED up some GREMLINS with this install eh ???[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ mount /dev/hda /windowsmount: only root can do that[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ suPassword:[root@localhost kamicota]# mount /dev/hda /windowsmount: /dev/hda already mounted or /windows busy[root@localhost kamicota]#Colin :thumbsup:

SonicDragon

Actually, it's a good thing! It means that it's already mounted so we don't have to worry about doing that. All we have to do is find it -- do:cat /etc/fstaband post the results :thumbsup: That will tell us where you're windows drive is hiding!

Here it is Sonic I am still :thumbsup: :D :sweatingbullets: [root@localhost kamicota]# cat /etc/fstab/dev/hda7 / reiserfs notail,defaults 1 1none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro ,exec 0 0none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso88 59-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0none /proc proc defaults 0 0/dev/hda1 /windows/C vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,code=437,codepage=850,gid= users,users 0 0/dev/hda5 /windows/D vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,code=437,codepage=850,gid= users,users 0 0/dev/hda6 /windows/E vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,code=437,codepage=850,gid= users,users 0 0/dev/hda8 swap swap pri=42 0 0[root@localhost kamicota]#Colin :thumbsup:

[root@localhost kamicota]# cat /etc/mtab/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part7 / reiserfs rw,notail 0 0none /proc proc rw 0 0none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0none /dev devfs rw 0 0none /sys sysfs rw 0 0none /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620 0 0none /mnt/floppy supermount rw,sync,dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0[root@localhost kamicota]#Colin

SonicDragon

ok... i think i understand what's going on nowYou have 3 windows partitions right? C, D and ESo C = /dev/hda1D = /dev/hda2E = /dev/hda3If you want to mount the C drive:supasswordmount /dev/hda1 /windowsC

SonicDragon
I NEED  to do that with all three C,D & E do I ???? or just C
If you want to be able to access all of them, you will need to do that with all three of them. However, those will stay mounted untill you shutdown the machine.Bruno can tell you how to automount them, so it does it automatically everytime you start your computer. I, unfortunately, don't know anything about how to automount a drive. It's midnight for me here so I'm going to go get some sleep. See ya in the morning. I'm sure Bruno will have some more ideas for us by them too ;)Good luck!

Colin, Colin . . . Colin, Colin . . . . . You are so impatient my friend ! :thumbsup: . . . Okay a few remarks first:1). I told you on page one of this thread that PCLos would not yet be in Lilo and that I would help you to put it there after.2). Windows drives should not be mounted manually, they will be automounted at the moment you want to access them, BUT more about that later !3). I am not happy with KDE giving this error so we will do a new install all over again. You seemed to insist on the "1024 x 768 24bpp" what was MY configuration . . . Adam told you to do 16bpp what was already a lot better as it seems . . BUT you never went for the default that the wizard showed you . . Why ??4). I t is not really clear how you went about getting the updates . . . . = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = BUT: Let us do one thing at a time, we do a new install and this time at this screen:8.pngYou pay extra attention to this:8-C_s.png You see that button "Configure" on the line of "Graphical Interface" ??Now pay attention, and print out this part: All you do is press that button and at the screens you get after that you change nothing but only press OK ( or Next ) and go for what the wizard finds for you . . . you will get 3 or 4 screens with settings for monitor and graphic card that you simply accept without changing anything. ( Even if it is set at 800x600 with 256 colors !! ) After that there will be a question if you want to test the settings of the "Graphical Interface": You say YES and it will show you a multicolored screen . . if the screen looks okay you press "YES" and after that the "Graphical Interface" is configured and you make no more changes to it. ( Only note down what it says so you can post it on the Forum later )So in a nutshell: let the wizard do its work and accept whatever it finds are the best generic settings for your computerThen after that, you reboot using the "Linux" entry in the Lilo bootloader . . . . and wait till I am back online:D Bruno

Righty Ho BrunoMandrake 10 installed again and STILL the hang up with KDE. I am in GnomeTh Wizard chose800x600 16 million colorsThe test screens I accepted as did NOT know what to expect There were Broad vertical lines down and then ascreen with multicolored dots??? on it and accepted even though unsureThe screen now is NOT full screen like it was after the 1024x780 choiceColin :thumbsup:

BrunoUpdates were from nlug that I found on the choices available from different countries Why I think PCLos is gone because the on the first Install I left--->>>\data on hda9and continued with the install and did NOT Uncheck itAnd YES oh BOY YES this :o SCORPIO is SO IMPATIENT :w00t: :hmm: a trait I have yet to masterColin :hmm:

Hi Colin Great info ! . . . :hmm: Well my conclusion is that either there will be updates that fix your KDE . . or your CDs have a fault on them. BUT we will see that laterand continue from here on ! What I have planned for tonight is: 1). Install anacron 2). Get the REAL updates 3). See if PCLos is still there and if so add it to Lilo 4). See if KDE is fixed with the updates and rebooting 5). Setting the screen resolution to 1024x780 @ 70Kh I will lead you step by step through this :hmm: . . . . AND I even booted into Gnome to be able to give you exact instructions. So tell me when you are ready and we take off . . . :w00t: Oh yes: if you get stuck on the Halt or reboot: press Ctrl+Alt+backspace . . this will take you out of the GUI . . then you can either reboot or shutdown. :o Bruno

Righty Ho BrunoI am In Linux/Gnome and readyAlthough my better half has me leaving in around 3 hours for a DATE with the Accountant for our yearly OUCH tax returnsColin :w00t: