MDK 10 here

kamicota

Colin . . let us not waste time then :w00t: :DFrom the topbar menu: Applications --> System --> Configuration --> Configure your Computer. Then give your rootpassword in the dialog. After that press the "Software Management" icon and then "Install" . . . . press OK when asked. Then the Software install GUI comes up: Now you can type "anacron" in the searchbox and press search. Once found tick the box of the package and press install . . . it will ask you for a CD . .provide the CD and go on with the install.Let me know if the install was successful . . . . give it time to finish the processes.:hmm: BrunoPS: User colin is perfect ;D

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• quint

Okay . . . now press "QUIT" . . we will stay in the MCC but we only go out of the "Install" . . . . then press the "Media Manager" icon . . . . Do you see next to the 3 CDs listed also an update source ?:w00t: Bruno

Good . . then we will ad it manually: ( forgot about the 4 CDs :w00t: ) Click on the "add" button then tick the box "security updates" ( last one on the right ) . . . . Then paste this in the URL box:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/official/updates/10.0/RPMS

The tick the box "Relative Path to synthesis/hdlist" and paste this in that box:

../base/hdlist.cz

Then click OK and wait for the process to finish . . . . and press OK on the large window . . . this will bring you back to the 4 icons of the software management . . . Now press the "Updates" icon and when asked press "YES" to get the list . . . then post me if you get to see any updates . . :hmm: Bruno

Okay Colin . . we managed to get this far . . so install the updates ! :DLet me know when you are ready for the next step :DB) Bruno

Good . .excellent . . . we can close the MCC now !Next on the Agenda: Adding PCLos to lilo:Open a console ( Gnome-console is okay )

$ su password # mkdir  /mnt/pclos # mount  /dev/hda9 /mnt/pclos # ls  /mnt/pclos

Show me the results . . :DB) Bruno

[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ suPassword:[root@localhost kamicota]# mkdir /mnt/pclos[root@localhost kamicota]# mount /dev/hda9 /mnt/pclos[root@localhost kamicota]# ls /mnt/pclos[root@localhost kamicota]#No LOOKY Good ehColin :w00t:

No indeed . . it is looking like PCLos is gone down the drain :(Well we just will wait for the next version of PCLos and will install that one later on hda9 . . ;)Let us try to reboot Colin and see if KDE still acts weird after the updates :w00t: . . if it does press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and come back to Gnome.:hmm: Bruno

Colin . . . Cold shutdowns are extremely harmfull for your install !!!Better next time Ctrl+Alt+F1 . . then log in as root ( not "su" ) and type reboot . . . . First now on the Agenda is making a boot-CD . . . open a console and:

$ su< password ># mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk

This will put a "rescue.iso"file in your /home/colin . . . . either rightclick it and choose burn a CD with K3b . . or:

# cdrecord dev=0,0,0 rescue.iso

( see to it that there is a CD in the drive ):hmm: BrunoAfter this is screen resolution :w00t:

Edited by Bruno

BrunoI know that about cold shut downsAs for logging in as root there is ONLY the "kamicota" user optionNow to the Boot CDColin

BrunoI know that about cold shut downsAs for logging in as root there is ONLY the "kamicota" user optionNow to the Boot CDColin
Yep . . but if you do Ctrl+Alt+F1 . . . you get a prompt where you can log in as root :DB) Bruno

I'll post this while I am try to do the recue cd[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ suPassword:[root@localhost kamicota]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk2880+0 records in2880+0 records outMaking filesystemmke2fs 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)/tmp/mkrescue-emu is not a block special device.Proceed anyway? (y,n) Filesystem label=OS type: LinuxBlock size=1024 (log=0)Fragment size=1024 (log=0)24 inodes, 2880 blocks144 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super userFirst data block=11 block group8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group24 inodes per group Writing inode tables: doneWriting superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done This filesystem will be automatically checked every 38 mounts or180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.Mounting filesystem`/boot/diag1.img' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/diag1.img'`/boot/diag2.img' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/diag2.img'Copying files...`/boot/us.klt' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/lang.ktl'`/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/initrd'`/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/linux'done. Running /sbin/lilo ...Ignoring entry 'boot'Added linux *Added hard_diskAdded diagnostic_1Added diagnostic_2done. MKISOFS Size of boot image is 5760 sectors -> Emulating a 2880 kB floppyTotal translation table size: 2488Total rockridge attributes bytes: 410Total directory bytes: 0Path table size(bytes): 10Max brk space used 210001624 extents written (3 MB) END MKISOFS: output is in 'rescue.iso' The bootable CD can be burned with the 'cdrecord' utilityusing a command of the form: cdrecord [<options>] [dev=<device>] rescue.iso All done. [root@localhost kamicota]# cdrecord dev=0,0,0 rescue.isocdrecord: No write mode specified.cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2004 Jörg SchillingNote: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD supportNote: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to <warly@mandrakesoft.com>.Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.scsidev: '0,0,0'scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg0'. Cannot open SCSI driver.cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.[root@localhost kamicota]#Colin

I'll explainFORGOT in the impatience that CD4 was in the driveThe following Konsoles are from Both CD4 in and alo with the second try with a cdr In[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ suPassword:[root@localhost kamicota]# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk2880+0 records in2880+0 records outMaking filesystemmke2fs 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)/tmp/mkrescue-emu is not a block special device.Proceed anyway? (y,n) Filesystem label=OS type: LinuxBlock size=1024 (log=0)Fragment size=1024 (log=0)24 inodes, 2880 blocks144 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super userFirst data block=11 block group8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group24 inodes per group Writing inode tables: doneWriting superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done This filesystem will be automatically checked every 38 mounts or180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.Mounting filesystem`/boot/diag1.img' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/diag1.img'`/boot/diag2.img' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/diag2.img'Copying files...`/boot/us.klt' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/lang.ktl'`/boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/initrd'`/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk' -> `/tmp/mkrescue-flp/linux'done. Running /sbin/lilo ...Ignoring entry 'boot'Added linux *Added hard_diskAdded diagnostic_1Added diagnostic_2done. MKISOFS Size of boot image is 5760 sectors -> Emulating a 2880 kB floppyTotal translation table size: 2488Total rockridge attributes bytes: 410Total directory bytes: 0Path table size(bytes): 10Max brk space used 210001624 extents written (3 MB) END MKISOFS: output is in 'rescue.iso' The bootable CD can be burned with the 'cdrecord' utilityusing a command of the form: cdrecord [<options>] [dev=<device>] rescue.iso All done. [root@localhost kamicota]# cdrecord dev=0,0,0 rescue.isocdrecord: No write mode specified.cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent default s.Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2004 Jörg Schi llingNote: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD supportNote: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to <warly@mandrakesoft.com>.Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this versio n.scsidev: '0,0,0'scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg0'. Cannot open SCSI dr iver.cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.[root@localhost kamicota]# cdrecord --scanbusCdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2004 Jörg Schi llingNote: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD supportNote: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to <warly@mandrakesoft.com>.Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this versio n.scsidev: 'ATA'devname: 'ATA'scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (warly-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-mdk '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c 1.80 04/03/08 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').scsibus1: 1,0,0 100) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRAM GSA-4081B' 'A100' Removable CD-ROM 1,1,0 101) * 1,2,0 102) * 1,3,0 103) * 1,4,0 104) * 1,5,0 105) * 1,6,0 106) * 1,7,0 107) *[root@localhost kamicota]# cdrecord --scanbusCdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2004 Jörg SchillingNote: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD supportNote: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to <warly@mandrakesoft.com>.Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.scsidev: 'ATA'devname: 'ATA'scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (warly-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-mdk '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c 1.80 04/03/08 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').scsibus1: 1,0,0 100) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRAM GSA-4081B' 'A100' Removable CD-ROM 1,1,0 101) * 1,2,0 102) * 1,3,0 103) * 1,4,0 104) * 1,5,0 105) * 1,6,0 106) * 1,7,0 107) *[root@localhost kamicota]# :o :huh: :o

Okay . . . no damage done :DRemove CD4 . . put in an empty CD in the burner and:

cdrecord dev=1,0,0 rescue.iso

:o Bruno

Here's what I got[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ suPassword:[root@localhost kamicota]# cdrecord dev=1,0,0 rescue.isocdrecord: No write mode specified.cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2004 Jörg SchillingNote: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD supportNote: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to <warly@mandrakesoft.com>.Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.scsidev: '1,0,0'scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/sg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.[root@localhost kamicota]#And the burn:/// screen comes upColin

Colin . . I see the ///burn . . . . it works like this:Drag the rescue.iso from /home to that window and press "burn". . . . that is all !!:o Bruno

BrunoI right clicked the Iso and there was a choice "write to Cd" so didAnd "Voila" think it's doneBut thanks for letting me know that K3b is in archiving somehow I missed that when searching for itColin