MDK 10 here

kamicota

Bruno :( I am USING my nom-de-plume "kamicota" as the user NOT colin.But still have the guest option in there too I used you addusr commandsAnd will get to the sources as SOON as the email arrives Colin :o

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• quint

Good so you are not using the guest account anymore ? . . . And did you change the root password from "root" to another one ?:( Bruno

Righty Ho BrunoI have the sources list and it is in /home/kamicotaAnd after # cp sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list HOW do I --->>>Then If you are using the Guest account I first want to make a Colin account for login before you do the updatesColin :(

Colin,Log out and log back in as "root" ( password "root" ) . . then open a konsole and:

# passwd

it will ask you for your new ROOT password, give it and give it again to confirm.After that ( if you not already did that ):

# adduser kamicota

That will make the user kamicota and next

# passwd kamicota

will ask you for the new password for the user "kamicota" give it and confirm itAnd then you are ready to delete the user Guest:

# userdel guest

Then we are ready to log out again and log in as kamicota !:( Bruno

here it is bruno after [root@localhost root]# passwdChanging password for user root.New UNIX password:BAD PASSWORD: it is based on a dictionary wordRetype new UNIX password:passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.[root@localhost root]# adduser kamicotaadduser: user kamicota exists[root@localhost root]# userdel guestuserdel: error removing shadow group entry[root@localhost root]#But the last error???Colin :( :o

We will delete the Guest in another way Colin . . . just log out as root now and log back in as kamicota and post again :DB) Bruno

Bruno please excuse the delaySTRANGE things happening with the computer--->>>Both times logging in as different user LOCKED the computer up & had to do Cold boots. In future i will reboot.BUT :( somehow "GUEST" is Not in the login screen only kamicota and rootColin :o

Good !!Now just to check:Menu --> Configuration --> Other --> Useradministration . . . . . . . . . and have a look if only kamicota is mentionned there . . :DB) Bruno

userdel: error removing shadow group entry
Bruno, that sounds like userdel had a problem deleting the GROUP "guest"

Great Colin . . . so that did work okay !!Now the updates ! . . . start synaptic and as you press "refresh" and it gets the lists from the mirror check if it is "nluug" . . . . then upgrade your system !After the updates we have to check the /apt/sources.list again to see if it has not been replaced by the updates . . . so do the updates, reboot, and do

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list

B) Bruno

userdel: error removing shadow group entry
Bruno, that sounds like userdel had a problem deleting the GROUP "guest"
Yep Adam . . but the user guest is gone and we changed the rootpassword, so all is safe from hackers ( crackers ) :DB) Bruno

Colin . . . Do the command again:

#  cp  sources.list   /etc/apt/sources.list

And after that start synaptic againB) Bruno

This is what I got Bruno cp : overwrite '/etc/apt/.list , overriding mode 0664had to type that no copy/pasteColin

And then you type "YES" and hit enter !After that do:

#  cat  /etc/apt/sources.list

and post me what you see . . B) Bruno

Bruno switched browsers[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ suPassword:[root@localhost kamicota]# cp sources.list /etc/apt/sources.listcp: overwrite `/etc/apt/sources.list'? YES[root@localhost kamicota]# cat /etc/apt/sources.list#PCLINUXOS apt repository#rpm http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar#rpm ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/metalab.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstarrpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributi.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar#rpm ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mirrors/sunsi.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar[root@localhost kamicota]#

Doesn't work from the console into the posting but DOES from the posting to the consoleColin
Strange !!Well anyway let me explain . . . . this is the file . . . only I inserted white lines so you can see the different sections:
#PCLINUXOS apt repository#rpm http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar#rpm ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/metalab/distributions/contrib/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstarrpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/contrib/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar#rpm ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mirrors/sunsite/distributions/contrib/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar

You will see that ONLY the line with nluug has NO "#" mark at the beginning . . . that is good and the only right one . . . . so after updating you have to check with

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list

if that is still the case . . . . if it is not you just do the

# cp  sources.list  /etc/apt/sources.list

again :DB) Bruno

#PCLINUXOS apt repository#rpm http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar#rpm ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/metalab.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstarrpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributi.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar#rpm ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mirrors/sunsi.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar[root@localhost kamicota]#
Colin, you have the right source.....