• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• quint

Then when you re-install PCLos ( or windows ) . . you can reboot into Mandrake without problems and restore Lilo with ease :DHave you tested it ?:o Bruno

Okay . . great . . next : screen resolution:Menu --> System --> Configuration --> Configure your Computer . . . and bring up the MCCThen --> Hardware --> Screen resolutionAnd make it 1024 x 768B) Bruno

Bruno while I've got this resolution screen up would it be Appropriate to alther the Colors to 16bpp instead of the 24bppColin

No no . . no reboot in KDE yet !Hey Colin did you notice we are making progress here ?? . . We have the agenda worked off . . . You are getting better at this Colin ! Bravo !!How much time have we got left before the Taxman arrives ?Now fire up the MCC again and the section Software manager . . install . . . . and do a search for:kdelibskdebasekdebase-commonkdelibs-commonlibqtkdeutilskdesdklibkdesdkAre any of these giving any results . . . note me down what you see . .:o Bruno

YES . . we want those !!! . . install them on the double !! . . Hurray !!!And listen Colin . . after the Taxman . . . when I am asleep . . . you can reinstall PCLos on hda9 . . . . . and end with putting that lilo in the MBR . . . then tomorrow we will boot from the Mandrake Boot-CD we just made and restore/adapt Lilo from Drake to include PCLos . . . Put that Boot-CD in your safe . . . guard it like the crownjewels !:o Bruno

Colin . . . I am beginning to think that as you did the updates only the box for security updates was checked . . . Please go back to the "update" icon in the MCC --> Software manager and check all 3 boxes: Security updatesBugfix updatesNormal updatesAnd see if there is more to update . . .;) Bruno

Just did bugfixes etc updatesYouaren't going to believe this B) ;) I can NOT find my PCLos live HECK how many gremlins can i attract eh :P Colin

Well Colin . . . I am sorry to say but I think the CDs you have are faulty . . . . . there is a little file on it that is corrupt and it is hard to know which one it is . . .So the only thing you can do is use Gnome for the next few weeks . . . . . and PCLos . . . . . . And when the real ISO's are on the mirrors we will download them, do the checksums and install mandrake 10.0 again with the 100% okay CDs . . . . Faulty CDs do happen now and then if you get them from a CD service . . . you could of course return them and ask new ones . . . but that will cost you more to the postal services then it is worth.I know Julia had ordered CDs once in the beginning . . and also they were faulty . . B);) Bruno

Yeah I was beginning to think that way too BrunoThere are other waysreinstall Suse 8.2 or even 9.0 pro Install Xandros cos it worked fineHope I can find the PCLos Live. But if Not will just have to download it again.Any thoughts

Yep you can download PCLos again . . . . good plan !ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributi...english/previewI would keep Mandrake even if only with Gnome . . . it has a lot of features ( like the 2.6 kernel, the automount, the autostart-CD ) that are revolutionary . . . . . you can learn about Mandrake also with Gnome and once we have the REAL CDs it is easy to replace . . . . . And both your printers are working ;) :DB) Bruno

SonicDragon

I started with KDE too, and after i used gnome for a while, i decided that i really like it. Now i use gnome nearly 100% of the time.

Now Now you two :P Gnome and I haven't even got used to KDE yet and NOT found my Windows drives oh well "c'est la vie" :P hope that's right pronunciation Bruno :o Yeah thanks for the LinkMay just do that too another PCLos Well the "Better Half's Her Master's Voice" beckons TAX man you're up front and center for a few hoursCheers for YearsEt-AlsColin B) ;) :o :D :P :P

Hi ColinHope the Taxman did not make you too unfocused . . . ;) :DFor your windows drives do:

$ ls  /mnt

This will probably show you there are /win_c and /win_d and /win_ e . . . if so you can do:

$ ls  /mnt/win_c$ ls  /mnt/win_d$ ls  /mnt/win_e

And that will show you exactly what is on those drives B) :P no need to mount or do other difficult things :DB) Bruno

BrunoJust a quickie[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ suPassword:[root@localhost kamicota]# ls /mnt/win_cls: /mnt/win_c: No such file or directory[root@localhost kamicota]#Are the gremlins at work again :) Just thought I'd throw this one in while I am downloading PCLos againColin :thumbsup:

This shows again that the install CDs you have are faulty Colin !! :(Okay, let us try to fix this:

$ cat /etc/fstab

:thumbsup: Bruno

[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ cat /etc/fstab/dev/hda7 / reiserfs notail,defaults 1 1none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec 0 0none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0none /proc proc defaults 0 0/dev/hda1 /windows/C vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,code=437,codepage=850,gid=users,users 0 0/dev/hda5 /windows/D vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,code=437,codepage=850,gid=users,users 0 0/dev/hda6 /windows/E vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,code=437,codepage=850,gid=users,users 0 0/dev/hda8 swap swap pri=42 0 0[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$Thought the magician had put pclos back :thumbsup: