More Partitions . . More Distro's to boot

longgone

B) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: No you won't, the cooker is closed up tight..... cannot get an X window at all ... get to the standardlogin text and that is the end of the line ... (maybe I should have tried startx) ... but now I am back in 10.0 ......

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• teacher

Password:[root@localhost dale]# mount /dev/hdb9 /mnt/hdb9[root@localhost dale]# cat /mnt/hdb9/etc/lilo.conf# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this filedefault="linux"boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapkeytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux"        root=/dev/hdb9        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux-nonfb"        root=/dev/hdb9        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht"        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="failsafe"        root=/dev/hdb9        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="failsafe acpi=ht devfs=nomount"        read-onlyother=/dev/hda3        label="windows"        table=/dev/hda[root@localhost dale]#

B) :thumbsup:
total 2572drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug 19 00:13 ./drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4096 Aug 19 00:15 ../-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Aug 17 07:36 boot.0300lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Aug 19 00:13 config -> config-2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 59832 Jul 21 10:29 config-2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5032 Aug 2 03:47 diag1.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16796 Aug 2 03:47 diag2.imgdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 17 07:28 grub/-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 127163 Aug 17 07:36 initrd-2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Aug 17 07:36 initrd.img -> initrd-2.6.8-0.rc2.2 mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Aug 19 00:13 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.6.8-0 .rc2.2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 537 Aug 17 07:46 kernel.h-2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk-rw------- 1 root root 79360 Aug 17 07:54 maplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Aug 17 07:54 message -> message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10303 Aug 17 07:36 message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116 Aug 17 07:36 message-textlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Aug 17 07:45 System.map -> System.map-2.6.8-0.r c2.2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 794569 Jul 21 10:29 System.map-2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 Aug 17 07:36 us.kltlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Aug 17 07:36 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.8-0.rc2.2md k-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1473331 Jul 21 10:29 vmlinuz-2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk[root@localhost dale]#

See . . all is perpect . . and we use the same section as we used in Drake 9.0 to boot the Cooker . . . It should boot normally .. . :'(What filesystem are you using ?? Ext3 ??Maybe just re-install cooker ( choose "upgrade"option ) on the same partiton . . do not write lilo to MBR but to floppy, so the one from Drake 10 does not get overwritten . . then check if it boots from floppy . . and from the entry we just made in Drake's 10 lilo . . B) Bruno

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: should be ext3 ... but here goes the re-install .... I was going to do that anyway ... now I have a fairly good reason to do it .... bb ml B)

:thumbsup: B) Bruno,,,, I am guessing that this went well... I hope I am posting from BETA..... did the upgarde install (very quick, I might add) sent the bootloader to a floppy.. rebooted (without the floppy being used into BETA ???) ... I might (not sure) have to use the 10.0 boot disk to get back into 10.0 ... is that a valid thought ???? :thumbsup:

That be the culprit ..... it is the only one that is/was associated with the BETA edition .... but things have changed since I was last here tooo..... before I had to use the consol to get to the web ... now the KPPP window is available ...... strange I say,,, very strange ,,,,,, (as the tiny Leprechauns scurry away) :hmm:

Well .... I am still in BETA here ... so am I to make a guess and say that it is time to boot back into 10.0 and see what happens there ??????

:hmm: Back in 10.0 now,,, had to use the boot disk to get here,,, and here is the very first task accomplished after I got into the desktop ...
[Password:[root@localhost dale]# /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hdaIgnoring entry 'boot'Added Mandrake10 *Added Drake10-4GBAdded failsafeAdded Mandrake90Added Knoppix-24Added Knoppix-26"Added SlackwareAdded SUSEAdded CookerAdded windowsAdded floppy[root@localhost dale]#
]

Allright . . the MBR was overwritten by the cooker . . . Anyway glad the MBR is back to Drake 10 now . . . Would you mind to try the "Cooker" entry from the bootmenu on reboot . . . see if you still can boot Cooker ??:hmm: Bruno

Okay Dale . . . now we want to see Knoppix

$ su<password># mkdir /mnt/hda9# mount /dev/hda9 /mnt/hda9# cat /mnt/hda9/etc/fstab

:hmm: Bruno

[Password:[root@localhost dale]# mkdir /mnt/hda9[root@localhost dale]# mount /dev/hda9 /mnt/hda9[root@localhost dale]# cat /mnt/hda9/etc/fstab# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.## filesystem  mountpoint  type  options  dump  pass/dev/hda9  /  ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1proc  /proc  proc  defaults  0  0/dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0usbdevfs  /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs  defaults  0  0sysfs  /sys  sysfs  defaults  0  0/dev/cdrom /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0/dev/dvd /dvd  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1  auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hda5 none swap defaults 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hda10 /mnt/hda10 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hda11 /mnt/hda11 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hdb6 /mnt/hdb6 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hdb7 /mnt/hdb7 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hdb8 /mnt/hdb8 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hdb9 /mnt/hdb9 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0# Added by KNOPPIX/dev/hdb10 /mnt/hdb10 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0[root@localhost dale]#]

Excellent Dale . . . now if I remember right hda11 was the cause of troubles . . so we do:

# kwrite  /mnt/hda9/etc/fstab

And the you place a "#" at the start of this line:

/dev/hda11 /mnt/hda11 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
So it will look like:
# /dev/hda11 /mnt/hda11 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0
Then you save the file and reboot into Knoppix . . :DB) Bruno

:hmm: B) Okay... I think I did that right and I am in Knoppix 2.4 ... but the 2.6 gives me this error and then it stops the boot up process:kernel panic VFS unable to boot root fs hda11

:o :o :hmm: B) Bruno,,,,,,I most humbley appologize .... but I cannot do anything at all for the mental instability of the 2.6 kernel ... it has suffered from a severe exposure to a debilating nuclear reaction and is unable to determine where it's home is at ... I am at a loss as to what the next step should be ... except to re-install the entire OS and try again....of course I still have to re-install SLACK 10.0 too .. with a PS2 mouse and see if it will straighten out ..... :w00tx100: :clap2: Oh... an there is also Fedora .... :ermm: :ermm: :clap: ... but that is the last block in the construction process .... so far .... SuSE is the one I like best, Drake 10.0/10.1 not to bad either ... Knoppix has a bazillion pkgs to d/l and update.... the jury is still out on Slack... and that is the latest from the pacific coast.....

Hi DaleYou dare to install Fedora again . . . and you're on your own !!! . . . We have been getting a headache for the last 10 days because of that ******* Fedora ! :DSure If you want to re-install Knoppix . . . that is a good idea !! I can vote for that idea :w00tx100: . . . And Slackware . . have you still not redone that one ?? . . Man, where are your priorities ?? . . LOL . . :hmm: B) :clap2: Bruno