More Partitions . . More Distro's to boot

longgone

No I have not done that yet... but when I made the post earlier from SuSE the ls post I did it from the lilo menu that was on Drake 9.0 ..... it worked fine then... have not yet tried the Knoppix re-install ... I need to get that straight..... put the CD in let it go all the way through it's setup...etc..etc... and then after it gets into the GUI .... I go into the consol/terminal and do that sudo knoppix installer command (or words to that effect) and it will take it up from there and I put it back on the hda9 partition and all should be good ?????????

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep . . just boot Knoppix Live version till you get the desktop up . . and then

$ sudo knoppix-installer

and when it asks you what partition you say hda9 . . . . that is all there ios to it :DB) Bruno

:lol: :hmm: Okay sounds simple enough as soon as I get this d/l done or maybe tomorrow I shall get Knoppix back on there ...... but here is a question (has nothing to do with any OS) for your wise and talented mind..... when I was d/l the Ultimate boot CD in XP it is taking forever... 133MB have been fussing with it for 2 or 3 days now... only have a little over 18pct d/l .... was using eDonkey2000 to d/l from and that has changed in the past 2 years.... I come over here to Drake 9.0 using the big red lizard and the default d/l manager have already d/l'd 20mb of it about 4-5 hours left to go and it will be done. What is the reason (your best guess) for this horrendous difference it the times.... and server availabilities????

Password:root@localhost:/home/daledorman# ls -al /boottotal 11344drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug 15 17:35 .drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Aug 15 17:35 ..lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Aug 15 17:26 System.map -> System.map-2.4.26-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 582790 Apr 17 13:59 System.map-2.4.26-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 758043 May 14 14:39 System.map-2.6.6-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Aug 15 17:35 boot.0300-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 42923 Apr 17 13:33 config-2.4.26-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 53510 May 14 14:37 config-2.6.6lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 Aug 15 17:26 debian.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/debian.bmplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 38 Aug 15 17:26 debianlilo.bmp -> /usr/share/lilo/contrib/debianlilo.bmpdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 15 17:35 grublrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Aug 15 17:35 initrd.img -> initrd.im g-2.4.26-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3518309 Aug 15 17:34 initrd.img-2.4.26-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4032440 Aug 15 17:35 initrd.img-2.6.6-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Aug 15 17:35 knoppix-old-mbr.2004-08 -15-rw------- 1 root root 189440 Aug 15 17:35 maplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Aug 15 17:26 sarge.bmp -> /usr/share /lilo/contrib/sarge.bmplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Aug 15 17:26 sid.bmp -> /usr/share/l ilo/contrib/sid.bmplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Aug 15 17:35 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4. 26-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 994807 Apr 17 13:59 vmlinuz-2.4.26-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1370454 May 14 14:39 vmlinuz-2.6.6root@localhost:/home/daledorman#Bruno.... this post is from Knoppix on the hard drive ......... :( :thumbsup: :clap: :o

That looks good Dale.And that means we have NO changes to make to the Drake 9.0 Lilo . . . because the entries for Knoppix in that lilo are still correct.So you can safely restore the Drake Lilo :DB) Bruno

:P :w00t: Well.... d/l ... kill disk.....ultimate boot cd will take longer .... had it 98pct d/l and the "KPPP daemon suddenly died" along with its death so went the d/l of ubcd.... no resume option either .. :rolleyes: >_< .... now that I have the "kill disk"... I need to unzip it and I cannot find any info in the LInux tips for this... acutally cannot even find out if there is a zip program in Mndrk by default ????Any help/guidance in this area will be greatly appreciated.....

Hi Dale . . if you downloaded Killdisk . . . you should be in Windows to unzip and execute the file . . that will prompt you to insert a floppy ( or CD ) and prepare the floppy for you.Then you reboot from the floppy and will have the Killdisk utility :DKilldisk was made for Windows . . . but because it is a DOS program you can also use it on Linux systems once the floppy ( CD ) is made ;);) Bruno

Hi DaleFor the UltiomateBoot CD . . there is an .exe you can download and use in Windows to burn to CD . . . and there is an ISO file to burn to CD in LInux :DWe Linuxers can not use .exe files . . . we like ISO's .. . . Windows users know hardly what an ISO is. . and they like .exe filesB) Bruno

:) :w00t: ..... shhheessshhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Bruno,,,,,,======= Slackware 10.0 ======>|| CRASH,, Thud,,, sputter, cough, croak...'twas a disenhearting experience... an excellent install, beginning to finish, did not end up with a GUI..... login>root>password>startx>......screen goes blank, couple of seconds later, lots of stuff on the screen,,, most notable "fatal error"...... :o (oh no)..... and that was the end of the game........shucks, darn the bad luck.... :thumbsup: :)

Dale,There are many, many times that those "Fatal Errors" can be magically cured, with a simple "edit" to the < /etc/X11/XF86Config > file...or the < /etc/X11/xorg.conf > file. :) What did the error say?

Hi DaleIn Slackware you can try to reconfigure X with the following command as root:

# xorgsetup

NOTE: In versions prior to 10.0 the command was "xfree86setup" . . . but due to the change to Xorg in Slack 10 the command changed to the one I posted above.:) Bruno

A lot of my problems in Slackware 10 were solved by the right BIOS settings.I think my Slackware 9.1 install may have even been more successfull with the right BIOS settings. It's sometimes hard to know exactly which settings to use, but I think mine had to do with making sure every PCI card had it's own IRQ set aside.

Bruno/quint/trigggl.....trigggl,,, I am guessing that the BIOS should work as I am installing Slack 10 in the partition that was occupied by Slack 9.1 and it went on fine. Only hang up there was with the video, it had a slow response to the mouse and scrolling.Bruno/quint...During the boot up process.. the very last line prior to the "login" I get this error..gpm: oops() invoked from gpm.c (977) /dev/mouse: no such file or directory .. but the /dev..... is dropped down one line at the end of the(977)...after the login... I have a whole page full of data but here are parts of it the beginng of this mess is thismodprobe:modprobe:can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.22/modules.dep (no such file or directory)XSERVTransSocketOpen COTSServer:unable to open socket for inet6XSERVtRANSopen: transport open failed for inet6/access-4-free:0but the two fatal error.... errors are:fatal server error:failed to initialize core devicesXIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server "0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.....and that was the end of the 29th inning ....................

Hi DaleIs that a PS2 mouse or an USB mouse you are having ?? . . . . I think I would just go for a new install and ty it again . . no /dev/mouse is a bit odd at the least.;) Bruno

;) :lol: Bruno,,,,Okay,,, a re-do , I will do , it is a USB mouse but so far on the distros that I have to use cfdisk/fdisk on when that question pops up on the install dialog I input that it is a USB mouse but during the boot up (if I can catch it as it goes by) it usually just lists it as a PS2 device normal mouse. It stilll works so that particular question seems moot to me but ...... onward .........

Dale . . just for checking . . is there a way you use a USB-PS2 adapter for that mouse . . and then do the install ?( the 2.6 kernel has new problems with USB mice . . :lol: );) Bruno

;) :lol: Welllllllllllllll.............. missed your last post .... I do have a PS2 mouse as a spare .... but .... I just finished the re-do and I have the exact same identical errors as the first time around... must be twins ..... during the boot up after the install .. I did notice that there are four entries in a row the have to do with modprobe errors ... saying no such file/directory ..... ???????????????

Well, like I said: in some cases the 2.6 kernel has problems with the USB mouse . . it did happen to a few other people as well . . . . . so: plug in the PS2 mouse and do the install again ;) . . . . . . . yes I know it is a hassle . . . :'(:lol: Bruno

Bruno.....Before I try for a three-peat... here... I noticed during the boot-up that it made reference to 2.4.22 kernel..... so should I have seen something referenced to a 2.6.xxx kernel????

Okay you took the default kernel for install and setup . . . well, that is good . . keep it that way., it is better !B) Bruno

I did have an issue with a USB mouse, but that was only the wheel. It worked fine when I used the PS/2 adapter. I don't think that would be an issue with the install.It sounds like either a bad disk or piece of hardware to me. It's still entirely possible that a BIOS setting could be messing something up. 9.1 and 10 are different enough for that to be true. I couldn't get my nVidia driver to load until I fixed my BIOS. Hardware is not made for Linux, so it can be very picky about what works. Give it as little excuse for error as possible. Do not share IRQ's when it comes to the cards plugged into the motherboard. Every card should have it's own set asside in the BIOS.My Slackware 9.1 install had very slow video. It may have been faster if it weren't sharing IRQ's at the time. I was dropping a lot of frames playing DVD's. That is why I stuck with Mandrake at the time. I seem to recall having problems with 10 until I really tweaked the hardware settings, then it started playing DVD's better than my Mandrake install. I think Slackware is much more sensitive to hardware than most distro's. It's worth it though when you get it just right.

:clap: :w00tx100: B) :clap2: Bruno,,,,,,Posting from ............ Mandrake 10.1 BETA ...... and here is lsPassword:[root@localhost dale]# ls -al /boottotal 2572drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug 17 07:54 ./drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4096 Aug 17 07:45 ../-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Aug 17 07:36 boot.0300lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Aug 17 07:45 config -> config-2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 59832 Jul 21 10:29 config-2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5032 Aug 2 03:47 diag1.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16796 Aug 2 03:47 diag2.imgdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 17 07:28 grub/-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 127163 Aug 17 07:36 initrd-2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Aug 17 07:36 initrd.img -> initrd-2.6.8-0.rc2.2 mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Aug 17 07:46 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.6.8-0 .rc2.2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 537 Aug 17 07:46 kernel.h-2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk-rw------- 1 root root 79360 Aug 17 07:54 maplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Aug 17 07:54 message -> message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10303 Aug 17 07:36 message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116 Aug 17 07:36 message-textlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Aug 17 07:45 System.map -> System.map-2.6.8-0.r c2.2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 794569 Jul 21 10:29 System.map-2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 Aug 17 07:36 us.kltlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Aug 17 07:36 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.8-0.rc2.2md k-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1473331 Jul 21 10:29 vmlinuz-2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk[root@localhost dale]#this install went much better than Slack did..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great news DaleNow tell me on what partition the / of drake 10.1 is and we can add it to the 9.? Lilo we are using up to now . . . B) Bruno