More Partitions . . More Distro's to boot

longgone

Hi DaleSo you will have to re-install Knoppix and SUSE . . . that means that the dammage Fedora caused is limmited . :'(As for the printer, seeing that you will only use 9.0 for a few more days I do not know if we should pay much attention to that, . . . of course you could un-install and re-install "cups" and see if that helps . . . ;):hmm: Bruno

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

:P :hmm: :hmm: Wellll..... this is true .... at the most it will be 5 days until I get the new CD/RW installed....then it will be back to the old install route again... :hmm: :rolleyes: ......

B) :w00t: :w00t: Bruno......Isn't that the truth.... but only until I get a few that I can really get along with,,,, then it might change... and I did like Fedora.... and my own opinion is that the CDRW drive is what messed up the whole thing by not reading the CD correctly. I shall find out pretty soon though..... :whistling: <_<

DaleSure if you want Fedora go ahead . . . but there are at least 3 to 4 threads here on the forum from people who had messed up partition tables after playing with the Fedora install CDs . . . . . That said: I have Fedora installed too, and it runs fine and my partition table was not affected . . . So in your case: Start with Fedora first before re-installing SUSE and Knoppix and Drake 10 . . . . :whistling: Bruno

B) :D :thumbsup: Bruno,,,,,,'tis almost time to start to work,,, new ROM is here, Slack 10 is here and today Drake 10.1 beta is here,,,, my oh my,,, where to start first ?????

Where to start first ??Restore your regular Drake 10 install ( do the "upgrade"- option to do a repair on it . . . and with that I hope that the Lilo we did build up on that one will be un-touched . . and the /boot will still have all the directories we added to it ;)Then Fix the SUSE install that got smashed . . . and do the updates for it again, so it is back on the "updated-kernel" we use in the multiboot lilo.Then replace the Slack 9.2 with the 10.0 . . . . Then if all is well and checked . . you could try Fedora again . . . I still would advice agaist it, but if you absolutely want it . . . . . go for it . . The absolute last in row is The Drake beta . . . . . ;):thumbsup: Bruno

You have to remember that Bruno is not a Gentoo person. Go for it but just find a good set of instructions and follow them yet adapt them to your system!Julia

. . .  of course you did mention something about next year for those
Still seems like the right plan to me :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: . . . . . I would first try to focus on the ones you have now ;):thumbsdown: Bruno

:whistling: Bruno,,,I do believe there is a problem here.... I might have lost hdb altogether, not sure so here is what I get when I try to install either Drake 10.0 or Fedora 2.Drake 10 in GUI mode gets to the screen for the license acceptance and hangs there after I click on accept and then it goes to a blank box and nothing happens after that. When I attempt to make the installation in text mode it gets to the same place, I enter the same information and it hang again but in the upper right of the install screen it has this "locating hard disk" (sans quotes). The hdb is listed in the boot up portion of the OS and is also listed in the BIOS boot.Fedora 2 in GUI gets to the point just after the screen where it is running anaconda and detects the monitor and video card, then it detects the X configuration and that is where it hangs at. In the F5 mode (rescue) it gets to the place where it asks to set up the network interface cards (eth) searchs there for awhile, screen goes blank and it hangs there.I cannot get either one to install and both are/were located on hdb. I have not tried to reinstall any of the OS's (Slack, Knoppix, or SuSE) that are on hda yet.Questions:1.) Is it feasable that when I attempted the re-install of Fedora2 that some how/some way it caused the hard drive to fail ???????2.) In your own opinion/s, if I attempt to re-install the OS's on hda is there going to be a problem/conflict that I know nothing about??3.) Since I now have Slack 10.0 is it better to install it or stay with the 9.1 and upgrade after all is said and done??Julia...... jump in here on these ... I want your advice/opinions too.... especially useful will be anything at all about the hard drive...

Well, this was exactly what I was afraid of all the time Dale . . your hdb has a BIG problem . . . . however the partitions do show up something is terribly wrong ( remember I wrote this before ? ) . . also the activity light that kept on burning was not a good sign . . . I would advice, before you do anything else, is get The Ultimate BootCD there are some disk diagnostic tools on there ( Maxtor and Seagate ) . . run those first . . . and then use, under the heading "Hard Disk Wiping":--> "Active@ KillDisk Free Edition" to wipe your full hdb clean . . . . then use Mandrake 10 install CD to make new partitions and proceede installing it.I would NOT try Fedora again . . . . . . . ( but that is just my advice, it is your computer, so you are the boss ):whistling: BrunoPS: Get the 100MB Ultimate BootCD ISO from PlanetMirror and burn it to CD: http://planetmirror.com/pub/ubcd/2.4/ubcd24.iso

Bruno//Peachy.....I have a really good idea about this whole mess..... in an earlier post Bruno, you made mention that possibly the hdb might be at the end of its useful life... I have no idea how long the life span is on a hard drive (?????), but I do have another 70+ GB hard drive that I am going to put in and try it and see what happens. I also think it will be easier to trouble shoot the current hdb if it is the only hard drive in the machine. BUT before I do this ... is this a good plan or not...????

Excellent plan Dale . . . But I would set my priorities on troubleshooting the faulty HD first ( in another system or not ) . . . you have several distro's running, it is not as if you are without Linux . . . . . so concentrate on seeing what is wrong with that HD and either fix it or dump it . . . . . I mean, you have Drake 9.2 and PCLos running sweet on hda . . . there is no rush on having another 4 or 5 extra distros installed this week . . . . . I would really like to know what Fedora did to that HD before we take any next step.:ermm: Bruno

Dale, run the diagnostics because they are OS-independent. They run from bootable floppies using Caldera DOS, typically. This will eliminate hardware failures and point to a problem with the MBR, or a corrupt inode block.

:ermm: Bruno//Peachy......Bruno.... no PCLos....... 9.0 (Drake), 9.1 (Slack) and XPPeachy.... you said that they was not OS specific.... the hard drive in question (after some disassembly) is an IBM deskstar .... used the link you provided and hopefully even though it was listed as Hitachi/IBM it will work... made two CD's for non-Windows OS's... there was also one listed for a Windows OS...Now that that is done, when I run these diagnostics would it be a prudent idea to unplug the hda drive so that it is not involved in this operation??????

Well so you have 4 OS-es you can boot and use . . . :ermm: . . . proves my point ;)I would indeed pull the cable from hda while you are running the tools on hdb ;):devil: Bruno

:ermm: :devil: Obviously I have no idea what I am doing here (trying to run diagnostics)..... there certainly is a regular blizzard out there.... unplugged the IDE cable from hda.... and tried to run the disks .... it gets all the way through the boot up to the part where it should say the source it is booting from CDrom, hard disk, floppy, etc etc... I get two entries for trying to boot from atapi CD Rom and then the next entry is MBR FA.. and it stops right there..... suggestion

Could it be that hdb was set to "slave" in the previous setup and it has to be "master" to do the test if hda is disconnected ? ( In fact hdb has to be hda for the during of the test ):ermm: Bruno

:D B) :devil: It is truely amazing the things that one does not even consider when one is not familiar with the process that is to be accomplished. Master ... Slave .... who would have ever thunk it .... progress.... experience.... dangerous I am, dangerous... :ermm:

:thumbsdown: Bruno,,,,,Welllll...... I installed the other hard drive to see if it would work. and, behold, I am making this post from Drake 10.0... only encountered one problem. The GUI has no KPPP in the menu, had to do this from the "command line". So far it is good, I will have to boot back into 9.0 though with the floppy and do the /sbin/lilo ... this is temporary only though. At least I know that this is a good hard drive..... (60GB) ....tomorrow

Great Dale !Now just put the faulty drive in another PC, where it is the only HD and then run the tools on it ! I still strongly recommend "The Ultimate BootCD" and use the "Killdisk-function" to zero out that drive completely . . . . "sterilize" that drive and try a fresh install on it after that.:thumbsdown: Bruno

Hi Dale . . . if the 100 MB download is too much on dial-up, just only get the Killdisk utility here:Free version ISO to burn to CD ( 2 MB download )http://download2.lsoft.net/boot-cd-iso.zip Howto:http://www.killdisk.com/downloads/killdisk.pdfHomepage for if you like to know more about it: http://www.killdisk.com/

Active@ KillDisk - Hard Drive Eraser is powerful and compact DOS software that allows you to destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely, excluding any possibility of future recovery of deleted files and folders. It's a hard drive and partition eraser utility.This is security software for unrecoverable data elimination for any computer capable of booting in DOS mode from floppy drive. It uses access to  the drive?s data on a physical level via BIOS bypassing logical drive structure organization, thus it does not matter what operating systems and file systems located on the machine. It can work with DOS, Windows 95 / 98, Windows NT / 2000 / XP, Linux, Unix for PC.
B) Bruno

:hmm: B) :thumbsup: Bruno...Welll ... thanks for the link... I might do that one too.... I am currently d/ling a 133MB ultimate boot cd (IS0), a 57.79 self extracting.exe ultimate boot cd and a 3.9k txt portion ... the 133MB is version 2.4... so I think I will have this all covered.....