installing an OS on a partioned drive

longgone

Hi DaleWhat the #$%@ !! is wrong with that install of yours ?? We are encountering nothing but troubles . . . . . now the aumix is clearly installed but you can not start it . . . ??? ( BTW it is the correct version, I checked ! )What if we tried the most drastic way ? 1). Burn all the downloads in /var/swaret/ ( +600MB ) to a CD2). Do a checksum on your 9.1 install CDs to see if there is something wrong there3). Redo a clean install . . . . sort out the sound first and then do the upgrade to "current" again from CDThis also because I think it is very weird that your Mozilla is still not okay . . . ;) Bruno

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• longgone

• teacher

• jodef

Top Posters In This Topic

PART 2For the CD-ROM issue there is a simple remedy:

Add hdc=ide-scsi to append line.Once you do this, your CD-RW device will appear as a SCSI device (/dev/scd0) rather than an IDE device (/dev/hdc).  If this is the only CD-ROM type device in the machine (there's no DVD drive, for instance), then you'll probably also want to change your /dev/cdrom symbolic link to point to the new SCSI device instead of the old IDE device: #  cd /dev #  rm cdrom #  ln -sf scd0 cdrom
;) Bruno

Bruno....Bruno....Bruno,,,,,Calm down, take a prozac, breathe deeply, think of a really nice enjoyable vacation paradise.... I have a really good idea ... I will make copies of all the info that you have given me in this post ... and by gum ... I will just reinstall ole Slacky 9.1 and start from afresh.I say that because I am doing this on two machines at the same time. The spare/test and the normal every day use machine. The everyday use one is the one that is giving you (and me) fits. For info, on the test machine, it has the exact same version from the same CD's. Yesterday I installed swaret version 3... did the update for version 9.1, did the exclude=alsathen .. went version=current , updated that also, did the mozilla upgrade and on that spare/test machine mozilla looks mighty fine, am in the process of upgrade to KDE but for some reason the d/l rate was running only 1-2 kbps so I shut it off until tomorrow. Most of KDE is installed after I get all of the files and packages updated then I will start the audio on it.I mostly inclined to think that the problems are from different things that have happened on the everyday machine, so start from scratch, do it again.On a new subject, the "ultimate boot cd" article you have posted, does it tell you how to make partitions on an already used hard drive. The HDA on this machine I use every day is 76.3gb, exclusive for XP. I want to create some partitions on it for Linux, can it be done fairly easily.

LOL . . Dale . . . . Glad that at least Slack is running well on one computer of yours . . . what a relief ;) B) :o . . . . For later reference note down the link to this page too: http://guitarlynn.homelinux.org:81/sound.html ( you never know if we will need it . . . B) . . . after we got your aumix/alsamixer working and we still have no sound :o )Have FUN my friend . . . will see you after the install tomorrow . . . :DB) Bruno

:blink: :) :thumbsup: #$@^%#*&$#Opppsss..... Helppp....Well ,, did a re-re-re-install on Slack 9.1, sort of start fresh again with this, but (laugh now or forever hold your peace) someplace I have committed a gross error. This machine did have (actually still does) XP on hda, and Mndrke 9.2 and Slack 9.1 on hdb, with lots of extra room on hdb. Here is the problem, now the only OS that comes up is the boot into Slack, the rest have disappeared. How do I get that back, especially since I need to go into the Mndrk lilo and make the changes to have a boot choice.............

Chroot Tip Take a look at that. This gives an easy way to go over to the partition where your primary Lilo is located. Better yet, did you make a boot disk If so, use the one from your primary partition and then run /sbin/lilo to put your main lilo back into place. You cn print out the one you just added and then manually add it to your primary lilo. If you are using Grub then someone else will have to help you with details.Julia :)

Hey Julia . . . sure the guy has a boot floppy for Mandrake . . . who has not ?? :'( :) . . LOLDale: chroot is the way to do it, you only have to know on what hdb? Mandrake is installed . . . . . if you need help chroot-ing post us the hdb?? of your Mandrake and I will post detailed instructions tailored to your situation :blink::thumbsup: Bruno

Grrrrr........... First off, this machine does not have a floppy so therefore, floppy is of no use...... now on to the rest ... here is the supposed line up on both hda which is 100% XP, and now hdb ,,, 1 is root, 5 is swap, 7 is usr, and 6 is home (all those are Mndrk 9.2) now hdb3 is Slack 9.1 ... hope this is what you needed ...

As soon as we have this fixed make a boot CD for Mandrake . . . . . . don' t forget !!Give me a minute for the howto . . will be posted soon :):thumbsup: Bruno

Bruno,,,I assume that the Mandrake boot CD will be accomplished after,,, we get this mess straightened out and I have XP back on the A drive and Mndrk and Slack on the B drive and all can be booted into .......

PART 2Here is the howto . . . I take it that you are in Slackware . . . .

$ su< password ># mkdir  /mnt/hdb1# mount  /dev/hdb1  /mnt/hdb1# mount  -t  devpts  none  /mnt/hdb1/dev/pts# mount  -t  proc  none  /mnt/hdb1/proc# chroot  /mnt/hdb1!! Now your prompt should change in a new one !! ( if not there is something wrong;) )# /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda < Ctrl+D > ( This will bring your old prompt back )# umount  /mnt/hdb1/dev/pts# umount  /mnt/hdb1/proc# umount  /mnt/hdb1# reboot

That should fix it :thumbsup: :) Bruno

:) :blink: :thumbsup: Bruno,,,You fo' sho' be the man .... making this post from the hda XP side ... still need to check out the rest ,, but what did I do when I reinstalled Slack to cause this problem, all that I did to the hdb3 was resize it to an even 13gb and that was it. A somewhat related question having to do with Slack on my spare/test machine.... for some reason it is hung up (this happened in the process of upgrading to the 9.1 version) on the coreutils-5.2.0-i486-2 pkg , the pkg is 2400kb in size but for some reason the upgrade has zipped right on past that and is at 2748kb .. I tried to do a swaret --remove coreutils-5.2.0-i486-2 but it tells me there is no such file ... then tried --install for that file but it tells me that it is located in /var .... got any suggestions as to where it is or even if it is

Hi DaleThat is a relief ! :) :thumbsup: . . . . BUT now first thing I want you to do is make a Boot-CD for Mandrake . . . . here is how: Boot/Rescue CD . . . really do this first !!On your second question: My guess is that the package was already in /var/swaret and did not have to be downloaded again . . that is why it *downloaded* so fast . . . . . A proof for this is that your system would not be running if you did not have the coreutils . . . . Did you have a look in /var/swaret ?? And the package is there ?? If you really want to be double sure do this:

$ su< password ># cd  /var/swaret# installpkg  coreutils-5.2.0-i486-2

BUT first the Mandrake Boot CD :blink: :DB) BrunoPS: Sorry forgot this question:

,, but what did I do when I reinstalled Slack to cause this problem
You did choose to install Slacks Lilo in the MBR . . . you should have skipped that part :D :'(

:thumbsup: :) Hummmm .......... yes I did do that .... clicked right on that "install in MBR" line ,,, should have left it all alone .... will know better next time

:D  :) Hummmm ..........  yes  I  did  do  that  .... clicked right on that "install in MBR" line ,,, should have left it all alone  ....  will know better next time
LOL . . . . See ?? . . . Hard to hide the truth Dale !! :thumbsup: :blink: :'( As long as you got a boot-CD for Mandrake it does not matter what you do next time :DB) Bruno

Welll ..... Slack 9.1 re-install update to dateSlack 9.1 re-install ..... doneupdate/upgrade to Slack 9.1 ..... doneupdate to Slack 9.1 current ..... donealsa exclude .... donein process of upgrading to Slack current .... d/l'd Mozilla 1.6 .... and ... darn the bad luck ... it did not install ... still have 1.4 as the broswer ... oh well,, that will come later one ..... still have many d/l's to go ... doing Gnome now ..... (fat little Gnome too) ..... so far only two dropped connections, one in j2sdk and one in ghex .... more to come later ...

Bruno,,,Yes I am still here, still trying to get Slack up an running, still having problems. The latest one is that during the boot up, I have about 8 - 10 lines right toward the end, that give the following error (????) "not checked, to small", they are all from the .. sbin .. area of the OS. I am not completely done with the re-install yet, could that have something to do with this. It is at current, with Mozilla, Gimp and Gnome installed.

Bruno,,,Yes sir, to the best of my knowledge, I did. Did the install, then did the update, and then the upgrade to get all the 9.1 in and up to date, then did the change to current and the exclude for alsa, then did Mozilla, Gimp and Gnome upgrades. Also did a seperate d/l of Mozilla to /home/dale as the last time I upgraded the Mozilla it did not change to 1.6 but stayed at 1.4 so I did the extra d/l just in case. Other than that still have to upgrade the KDE and then the rest of the package is all that is left.

Hi Dale I'm lost here . . . are you still getting those errors at boot ? Did you also get them before the upgrade to "current" ? And what are those errors exactly ? :) Bruno

Bruno,,,To the best of my memory I did not have them prior to the update to current, but I won't put money on that. Since I do not know how to "freeze" a screen during boot up I could not write down all the errors but they are also there during the shutdown process too and here are the ones that are visible before the "Power down" line./sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libORBit - imodule-2.so.0.0..0 is not an ELF File - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start/sbin/ldconfig: file /usr/libORBit-imodule-2.iso.0-2.so/sbin/ldconfig: file /usr/libORBitCosNaming-2/sbin/ldconfig: file /usr/libORBitCosNaming-2/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libscrollkeeper is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start/sbin/ldconfig: file /usr/lib/libscrollkeeper/sbin/ldconfig: file /usr/lib/libscrollkeeper/sbin/ldconfig: file /usr/lib/lib startup notification/sbin/ldconfig: file /usr/lib/lib natilus-private not a symbolic link/sbin/ldconfig: file /usr/lib/lib natilus - adapter not a symbolic linkthere are probably another dozen or so prior to these but they are all basically the same in nature. Other than the ones that refer to the smybolic link and the ELF file, all say the file is to small and not checked.

If you do an upgrade to the current before the 9.1 then you get a ton of errors. However, once you reboot again everything is fine. I would not recommend this way but somehow I happen to know that it works. ;)Julia :rolleyes:

Bruno/Teacher,,,I did the initial install, then I did the upgrade for all the 9.1 pkgs etc. I did it somewhat selectively in that I did not do the pkg for j2sdk and the Xfree86 at the same time, they were done individually and seperate from the rest of the 9.1 upgrade. I did it that way since my dial-up connection has a habit of dropping off line and I hate having busted d/l's. But all seemed fine up until I went from 9.1 to current. I did the Gimp first then the mozilla but I cancelled the mozilla till later and after that is when I think I picked up all the errors.

Bruno/Teacher,,,,Hummm.... oopppsss.... reckon I should have included this part too ... even with all those errors that are displayed during the boot up/shutdown every thing else seems to work. I can continue on into the GUI desktop, I can connect to the web, it is just those errors that have me concerned. Am I becoming a Linux Paranoid user ?????

Hi Dale First, happy that it does not have influence on how the OS runs :( . . And so, if you do not want to make changes: don' t :w00t: But, here are the remarks ( a bit complicated but still very logical ): 1). You can see ( as root ) what failed at boot in /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog ( funny, Drake has /var/log/boot.log what is a bit easier, Slack has not ) 2). All the faillures are from /sbin/ldconfig . . . . ldconfig updates the links to the shared libraries and reads its info from "/etc/ld.so.conf" My /etc/ld.so.conf ( from current ) looks like this:

/usr/local/lib /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/i486-slackware-linux/lib /opt/kde/lib /usr/lib/qt/lib /usr/lib/netscape /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6 /usr/local/bin/thunderbird /usr/local/bin/firefox

Now you see the /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6 in there . . and from what I understand you still have 1.4 . . . . If I were you I would check all those paths and comment ( # ) the lines that should not be there and change the mozilla-1.6 to 1.4 . . . ( Also check if mozilla-1.6 really is not there or that it just fails to run because it can not reach the libs it needs because of a badly updated /etc/ld.so.conf )Changing the file has to be done as root . . . :( After that you can run ( as root )

# /sbin/ldconfig

or reboot and watch the messages . . . :) Bruno

Bruno/Teacher,,,Posting in Slack 9.1, this is what I get when I enter all those cmds, more or less allroot@Access-4-Free:/home/dale# /var/log/messagesbash: /var/log/messages: Permission deniedroot@Access-4-Free:/home/dale# /var/log/syslogbash: /var/log/syslog: Permission deniedroot@Access-4-Free:/home/dale# /sbin/ldconfig/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libnautilus.so.2.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libnautilus-adapter.so is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libnautilus.so is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libnautilus-private.so is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libnautilus-adapter.so.2 is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libnautilus.so.2 is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libnautilus-private.so.2 is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libORBit-2.so.0.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start./sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libORBitCosNaming-2.so.0.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start./sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libORBit-imodule-2.so.0.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libORBit-imodule-2.so.0 is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libORBit-2.so is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libORBit-imodule-2.so is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libORBitCosNaming-2.so.0 is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libORBitCosNaming-2.so is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libORBit-2.so.0 is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libscrollkeeper.so.0.0.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libscrollkeeper.so is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libscrollkeeper.so.0 is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: File /usr/lib/libstartup-notification-1.so is too small, not checked./sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libnautilus-private.so.2 is not a symbolic link/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libnautilus-adapter.so.2 is not a symbolic linkroot@Access-4-Free:/home/dale#As you can see, it won't let me in, also when I try the /etc/ld.so.conf .. I also get permission denied ...... Makes me feel like a criminal (almost)

Dale . . my dear friend . . . . To see /var/log messages you have to use "cat" . . . . .

# cat /var/log/messages

( same goes for /var/log/syslog ) . . . but because the messages are very long you will only see the end of the file, which in most cases is enough . . . if it is not, there are several options . . the easiest is:

# cat /var/log/messages > log.txt

This will put a text file in your /home called log.txt . . . . then you can see the full file by clicking on it . . ;)To see the /etc/ld.so.conf you have to do

# cat /etc/ld.so.conf

Post us the file so we can see what is wrong before editing it with kwrite :

# kwrite /etc/ld.so.conf

B) BrunoPS: Ohter ways to see a long file is "pipe it through less" :

# cat /var/log/messages | less

Less can be scrolled with the arrow keys and should be closed with the Q-key !!PS2: what you tried to do here:

root@Access-4-Free:/home/dale# /var/log/messages
Was to execute the file . . . and /var/log/messages is no executable :'(

PART 2Dale, looking at those error messages . . . all those errors are Gnome related . . . "/usr/lib/libORBitCosNaming" is Gnome and "/usr/lib/libnautilus" is Gnome too . . . . What happened to your Gnome updates ??:'( Bruno

Bruno/Teacher,,,Now I have the picture (and now I cannot get into Slack at all, tells me that hdb1 (the residence of slack) has errors and I can't get any further than that). During the upgrade install portion of gnome the upgrading just froze up, nothing would work, no movement at all. It left either 3 or 4 pkgs not upgraded to current. What I did was "reset" the machine and then went back in a consol as root to finish off the upgrade but it said that all packages were up to date. Now I see that they were not since I went back to a consol and as root did swaret --upgrade gnome -a and it had 3 or 4 pkgs left to install and it froze up and now I cannot get into it. But I guess if I have to I shall do another re-install....