• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• longgone

• teacher

• jodef

Top Posters In This Topic

:) :) >_< grrrrr.........Bruno, It didn't like SuSe either, next step, on the machine I am using now, all the time mostly, Mndrk 9.0 on hdb. Hdb is large 71.6gb, Mndrk 9.0 is gonna learn how to share. Status updates to follow as they happen.... :Dmake that 9.2 vice 9.0

Dale,Have you considered moving the hard drive to your other machine, installing slackware, and moving it back? If everything else fails, its worth a try before giving up.tranquilo

Dale,Have you considered moving the hard drive to your other machine, installing slackware, and moving it back?  If everything else fails, its worth a try before giving up.tranquilo
Won't work Tranquilo because all the config files are written towards that other hardware . . . you can change one part of hardware okay, but if you would give a computer a new mobo you have to re-install the distro.B) Bruno

This works when it reads the hardware during the boot process and gives you the option to make changes. It takes as long as reinstalling the software.....

:rolleyes: B) :thumbsup: Well, I am a little late. already did a re-install on the Mndrk 9.2 and shrunk it down a bunch. Now, how do I get Slack to install on hdb on the 45gb of unused disk space. I tried it once but it when it wanted to use up the XP drive (hda), I did a quick stop on that. Re-sizing the hda drive is a task for another day. So, what is the process for telling Slack to use about 12-15gb of the available hdb disk ??????? In regard to the SuSe attempt, I have a feeling that the "live" CD might really be a dead duck. It does not want to install on any of the 3 machines I have tried it on. The same response comes from all three "cannot open kernel" or words to that effect. Patience, must have patience.

Dale,Since you have re-installed Mandrake 9.2, why don't you create partitions for Slackware B) , in "DiskDrake"? It's rather nice, easy, and effective.

B) Quint,,, I take that as go into the MCC and click on the mount points section and then click on the icon for the hard drive and do that there. Am I correct or way out in the parking lot on that. Also, maybe I did not say it correct, when I put the Slack CD in the CD rom and boot it up all it sees is the HDA and wants to wipe the XP slick, at least that is the impression I am getting. How do I get it to see the HDB is one of the problems right now???? :thumbsup:

Dale you mean that at step 4:

4. Highlight the Linux partition from step 2, <Select>, highlight "Format", <OK>
you can not highlight a partition on your hdb . . nor manually type /de/hdbX ??B) Bruno

That is a nice howto . . will have to add it to my bookmarks :)Longgone I think you are stuck on this screen: 18_install_partition.gifYou see the little green arrow and + in the left bottom corner . . that means there is more partitions if you scroll . . I have slack on hdb2 and had no problem getting it there . . B) Bruno

:blink: B) :thumbsup: Bruno, :rolleyes: Well,,,, darn, I should have thought of that before I posted. I was going down a different road there, tomorrow I shall use that approach and see what I can get.Jodef, I downloaded and printed that whole install guide. All 40+ pages of it. But now it is there anytime I want/need it. Got to get some more ink cartridges now too.

This works when it reads the hardware during the boot process and gives you the option to make changes.  It takes as long as reinstalling the software.....
Not necessarily. Since most hardware support is in the kernel, and slackware uses a generic kernel, simply moving the hard drive does not require a reinstall. Obviously any machine specific configuration would have to be disabled before moving if the install has been configured and in use for some time. If it is just an install and move operation, configuration can be done after the drive is moved. It has been sucessful for me with slackware and debian. Perhaps it would be more difficult with a distro that does a lot of automatic hardware detection...tranquilo

:) :) Okay, could not wait, had to try it so here is an update...... It installed pretty much just like it did on the spare/test machine, but I did have some bodacious ??????? in the end. That is the best I can do to descripe them. I think the problem lies in where I put the LILO at when that particular screen came up. I told it to send it to the MBR, think that might have casused the problem/s. First off, when it booted up it went straight to the Slack Linux login screen, no more choice of Linux or Windows, all gone. Did a re-install, this time chose "simple" for LILO no difference, put the CD back in and deleted the partition that Slack was on (hdb3) That casused yet another problem, when booting up, I could not even get a complete boot into the desktop. I ended up with an L and 8 lines of 9A ..... that was it, no desktop. Final decision for today, re-installed Mndrk 9.2 (am using it to make this post). To shorten this up a bit .... where do I put LILO at in root or do not install at all ,,, do it later in other words. In response to the swapping HD's, I have done it in Windows but never tried it in Linux. When I build one I usually have a hard drive or two that already has Windows on it, shortens the construction time a bunch.

Off the top of my head though once you have lilo in Mandrake installed you don't need to write Slack's lilo to MBR.After installing Slack you boot into Mandrake as you normally would and follow instructions in tips on setting up a multiboot:Lilo MultibootThis way you keep just Mandrake's lilo as the boot manager any future installs you add to Mandrake's lilo.conf file.It's also a good idea to make a boot floppy / CD for each distro you install this has saved me a lot of pain if you accidentally write over MBR you boot into distro using boot floppy/CD and repair MBR.I link to this section of the tips as well hope this helps:Boot FloppyBoot / Rescue CDIf I'm not mistaken Dale you can choose not to install Lilo to MBR during Slack install and you are given option to create a boot floppy.

:) :) jodef, I kind of thought that, since I was told that when (and if) I can get Gentoo up an running that I should send LILO to the root partition. Slack gives the options of simple install, expert install, send to the MBR and one of the options is to install it in the root segment or not to install it at all.quint, Thanks, already made a boot floppy from when I installed it on the spare/test machine. So that is already done. Well done for today, boob tube time, will continue with the Linux install saga tomorrow.

quint,    Thanks, already made a boot floppy from when I installed it on the spare/test machine. So that is already done.
Not sure Dale and I know one of the more experienced Linux users will correct me but don't you need to create a boot floppy for each install. Unless maybe if the partition arrangement for installs is identical. :)

You should create a new boot disk for each install, unless you happen to install in the same location. It's easier just to make one for each install, than to find out later that you were mistaken about your distro layout...With many distro's you can use the install cd as a rescue disk.tranquilo

:( :( So far, so good, I am under the impression that Slack installed just fine. I say that since I have not yet gained access to it. I did not install LILO for it, also had a bad awakening, the floppy drive for this machine does not seem to work. Off to the computer store for a new one it seems. I did download/printout the link for the LILO multi boot process and here are some questions about it. The first one is just how much of all that is there is going to be typed out. Second one is that providing I do not cause serious damage in the first one, is Slack going to appear on the choices menu when the machine is booting. At least this time I can use the madhine, :thumbsup: :(

Hi Dale You mean the install was successful ? . . . You came to the "The End" screen ? :( Well, let's see if it boots then :thumbsup: . . here is how to adapt Mandrake's lilo . . boot Mandrake and:

$ su < password > # mkdir /boot/slack # mkdir /mnt/slack # mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt/slack     <------------- adapt hdb2 to your situation !! # cp  /mnt/slack/boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.22  /boot/slack # umount /mnt/slack  # kedit /etc/lilo.conf

And add this part:

image=/boot/slack/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.22         label="Slackware91"         root=/dev/hdb2    <--------------adapt hdb2 to your situation !!         append="hdd=ide-scsi"   <--------------if your cdwriter is on hdd !!         vga=788         read-only

Save the file and write the new lilo to the MBR:

# /sbin/lilo # reboot

Good luck Dale !!:( Bruno

B) B) Bruno, Thank you, did a copy and paste :devil: on that but before I possibly lunch this project I have a couple of things that I need clarified. FIrst I went into HardDrake to see if it would tell me what the CDRW was listed as and it says that it is scd0 so should I replace the hdd with that or not. I did the kedit /etc/lilo.conf to see what was already listed and throughout all the listings for the Linux side it has the ... append="hdd=ide-scsi" ... just as in the example. Is that the default setting or is that the correct info rather than what I got in HardDrake. Also I take it that this info is going to be added at the end of the current listing and that I click the INS button at the bottom of the window, make the entry, then click the (floppy disk look alike) save at the top an I should be good to go. Yes, No or otherwise :devil: B)

Hi DaleYes if you see "hdd=ide-scsi" elsewhere in the Lilo.conf you can be sure the is the right thing . . ( means you probably have two HD's a DVD and a CDRW :devil: . . . and the writer is hdd )Then, if you use Kedit you can just copy and paste the lines I gave you between the lines for "Linux" and the ones for "Linux-nonfb" ( the sections always start with "image=" ) but also you can add it at the end :)Indeed pressing the floppy icon on the toolbar will save the file.If by any chance you want to repace the indication for Mandrake from "Linux" to "Mandrake" . . . look here:

boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="Mandrake"   <----------------------------------- Here !!!keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="Mandrake"     <---------------------------------AND here !!!        root=/dev/hdb7        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=ht splash=silent"        vga=788        read-only

So change in 2 places ;)REMEMBER: Always end the tweak with the command

# /sbin/lilo

:devil: Bruno

:lol: :lol: Bruno,,, Here is the latest update, hot from the machine....... :lol: made all the entries just as you posted them, all seems to be good. Upon re-bootSlackware91 appears as the final entry on the boot to menu ... select it, click enter and it does boot into Slack, now comes the problem, BTW I have not as yet added a user name (looked in the tips, but did not see the procedure for doing it). Logged in as root, gave the password, clicked enter, had a quick flash of information on the screen, faster than I could read, then the screen goes black, just as if I had shut down the computer for awhile. What or where did I run off the road here for this to happen.

Have you configured X (are you booting directly into X?)? Slackware gives you a default /etc/X11/XF86Config file, but you should edit it or configure your own. There is no guarantee that it will work for you...if you are booting directly into X, try ctrl-alt-f6, log in as root, create a user, using adduser, and follow the prompts.Additionally, you might consider booting to a console until you get your video issues resolved...as root:vim /etc/inittabormcedit /etc/inittaborjoe /etc/inittaband change the following line...# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)id:3:initdefault:change to:id:4:initdefault:of course, if I am off track, please disregard... ;)tranquilo

:D Let me make an adjustment to my last post.... it boots up to the menu I select Slackware91, it boots into Slack I log in as root then I do startx and that is when it gives that brief flash of info and the screen goes black...

Looks more and more like some people have to configure X before it can boot into a GUI . . . . . . Have a go at this Tip: Configure X . . . wait with the runlevel Tip till you have got this sorted out . . ;)Sonic ? Jodef ? you two have done this in Slack before . . .any comments ?:D Bruno

You may need to adjust your /etc/X11/XF86Config file, if you haven't done so already. If you have a working XF86Config from another distro, you might try copying that over to slackware before any manual editing. You shouldn't have to make many changes (maybe font paths or modules) for another config file to work. Back up your existing, non-working file before changing anything...tranquilo