installing an OS on a partioned drive

longgone

linuxdude32

Actually in my case, sda2 is my swap partition (it doesn't have to be, that's just the way it worked out). I can understand why you thought it was my extended partition, though. My extended partition is on sda4 so sda5 and sda6 are inside of it.The setup you described will work fine. You can put other another distro without affecting Slack, just be careful to note which one is which. It's a good idea to write this out both before and after the partitioning. That way when you install a distro other than Slack on hdb, you will know where everything is and can use that information for setting up LILO to boot up the new distro.Do you have a Linux partition on hda? If so, you can edit the bootloader there. Bruno is our resident expert on LILO, I don't use it much anymore (prefer GRUB).

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• longgone

• teacher

• jodef

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup: I'll answer in reverse, :thumbsup: , on hda reside XP and Mndrk 9.2, they seem to co-exist fairly well .... I did that so that I could use hdb for these experiements (???) ... Now onto the hdb ... saying that I have Slack set up as in my last post with the unused space on the extended partition (hdb2) when I get ready (courage) to put another OS on that extended extra unused space how do I access that unused portion of the extended partition to do the install. Also since I will have hdb3 and hdb4 still available I assume (could be a mistake there) that I could do the same thing with hdb3 being the root / partition and hdb4 being an extended with the rest of the OS that has it's root partition as hdb3 and a completely different OS contained within that extended partition too. Yes, No, Not a Chance ???????? Basically what I am getting at is I could get 4 different OS's installed on hdb and hopefully I could get them all to work . :thumbsup:

linuxdude32
:thumbsup: I'll answer in reverse,  :thumbsup: , on hda reside XP and Mndrk 9.2, they seem to co-exist fairly well .... I did that so that I could use hdb for these experiements (???) ... Now onto the hdb ... saying that I have Slack set up as in my last post with the unused space on the extended partition (hdb2) when I get ready (courage) to put another OS on that extended extra unused space how do I access that unused portion of the extended partition to do the install. Also since I will have hdb3 and hdb4 still available I assume (could be a mistake there) that I could do the same thing with hdb3 being the root / partition and hdb4 being an extended with the rest of the OS that has it's root partition as hdb3 and a completely different OS contained within that extended partition too.  Yes, No, Not a Chance ????????  Basically what I am getting at is I could get 4 different OS's installed on hdb and hopefully I could get them all to work .  :thumbsup:
You could definitely have four different OSes, but you can't have a second extended partition on the same hard drive (as far as I know). You could put all the additional OSes all inside of the extended partition if you wanted. I think every drive has to have at least on primary partition but I'm not positive on that point.You could also create two more primary partitions to put them in. I haven't done it that way in quite a while but I believe it would work. It could get confusing to do it that way, though. Because the partitions would go hdb1 hdb2 <hdb5 hdb6 ... > and then when you added more primary partitions, you'd suddenly now have hdb2, hdb4 and hdb4. It might make more sense just to do it like this hdb1 hdb2 <hdb5 hdb6 hdb7 hdb8 ...> then you have consistent numbering that also represents the hard drive layout.You know, the best way to work all this out is decide how many partitions you want and then use Mandrake's partitioner (just use it to partition if you're not intended to install it and then cancel the installation) or Partition Magic to create them. With 40 GB of space, you can afford to be generous, say 10 GB per partition or if you want more partitions, 5 GB per partition.If you want to leave empty space you can do that inside an extended partition (simply by not filling it up with logical partitions) or outside it. Not all Linux distributions can re-size partitions but all of them can recognize empty space and let you use it so no problem there.

:o :o linuxdude32,,,,Well..... :( I guess I will find out about the extended partitions, this will be a learning experience ( :lol: :lol: ) ... I sort of figured to try my best to keep the partitions in some sort of numerical order if at all possible. I would not want to end up with something exotic where if I did not use it for a while I would forget what was where on whom (???) ... Thank you for your time, help, advice, and everything else in case I forgot something. Next step place the order for software and then wait and see .... ;)

Hi Dale,Just a little "food for thought": as someone who has been running a "multi-boot" of 29 different distros/versions, I am currently "backing-up" any important data from all of them, so that I will just keep my 5 favorites! :( It has become an "unbelievable chore" to keep them all "updated", to say the least! ;) I will then have "scads of hdd space", with which to "test" any new/interesting distros, that seem to constantly appear. :lol:

QuintI also came to the conclusion it was better to stick with a few than to have many to update. I found that I just was not booting into some so why bother with keeping so many. I currently have half of my hard drives in empty space - not formatted. I believe I have four distros right now but have not booted into two of them for a week.Julia ;)

QuintI also came to the conclusion it was better to stick with a few than to have many to update.  I found that I just was not  booting into some so why bother with keeping so many.  I currently have half of my hard drives in empty space - not formatted.  I believe I have four distros right now but have not booted into two of them for a week.Julia :(
Hi Julia,Wise words, always... Recently, I have only been in "Mandrake 10.0" (truly phenomonal distro!), and "Mepis". ;)

B) :sorcerer: (oh no)quint/teacher:.....quint .... 29 ... are these all at the same time, in other words you have 29 different OS's available to boot into .... WOW !!!!! .... I can honestly say I seriously doubt if I will ever get that far along. At times I wonder if I should even be trying different distros at all ... I still need to figure out the process of installing a program after d/ling it, or even from a disk for that matter. I guess it just a matter of time (got lots of that for now). After I get that figured out I might spend a lot more time in Linux than XP. Thankfully I have nothing on any machine that is worth backing up, except maybe the favorites list. I currently have XP on 2 machines Mndrk 9.0 and Slack 9.1 on one of those and on the other is Mndrk 9.2 and Slack 9.1. Thinking about Mndrk 10.0 but........ not sure.quint/teacher ..... in Slack 9.1 the option is available to boot into a bunch of different browsers, I have tried to use Gnome but after I select it I have been unable to connect to the web, mainly because I can't find where to make the connection at as of yet. Got a tip/hint ?????

Hi Dale,Just a little "food for thought": as someone who has been running a "multi-boot" of 29 different distros/versions, I am currently "backing-up" any important data from all of them, so that I will just keep my 5 favorites! :sorcerer: It has become an "unbelievable chore" to keep them all "updated", to say the least! B) I will then have "scads of hdd space", with which to "test" any new/interesting distros, that seem to constantly appear. :flowers:
HeeHee I know your pain Quint..and Yours too Julia..I've cut back on the number of Distro's available...Think I'm actually down to Drake, PClinuxOS, SuSE, and Vector and Mepis..having more was getting way to hard to keep up with(forgot DSL too)., and on too many systems..Dale..it will happen, one day you'll discover that you have forgotten how to do something simple in windows..then you'll know you have switched.. :medic: :clap:

quint/teacher .....  in Slack 9.1 the option is available to boot into a bunch of different browsers, I have tried to use Gnome but after I select it I have been unable to connect to the web, mainly because I can't find where to make the connection at as of yet. Got a tip/hint ?????
DaleI am posting this to you in Gnome. However I am in Mandrake. I went searching and found this:Applications --> Configuration --> Gnome --> Network Proxy.Once you are in network proxy you can choose either direct internet connection (my case) or you can go with manual or automatic configuration.Give that a try and see if it works!Julia B)

:hmm: :huh: Teacher....Found what you were referring to but direct connection was already selected tried the automatic but no go. I am in Slack right now using KDE/Konqueror to make this post. I can't find anything in the Gnome desktop to lead me to KPPP so that I can make the web connection .... I'm so confused B) :huh: :(

Hi DaleFrom what I remember of the times I had dial-up and used Gnome: kppp was available in Gnome too . . . . ( ? ) . . . don't know why it is not on yours . . . I never did get the Gnome-dialer to work properly though.What happens if you type kppp in a console ? It should start the dialer, after which you can add it in the menu. ( You have KDE installed too have you ? And kppp is available there ? )B) Bruno

Bruno,,,,Yes basiclly I am using KDE and can connect to the web fine using the Kppp dialer in the menu. When I had RH installed I could also connect, no problem and Gnome was the default desktop (if I recall correct). I think (not sure) that to make the web connection it was either the icon that said internet or the one with the multiple monitors ... I tried both of them but there is nothing there to indicate a web hookup. I have not tried to do it from a consol but that thought has crossed my mind. That will be my next attempt and if that does not work B) :hmm:

Okay Dale, let me know if it works from the console . . . . . . and . . . . this is Slackware we are talking about ?? ( Is kppp installed ?? Did you try in KDE ?? ):) Bruno

Bruno,,,Correct, this is in Slack 9.1, and since I can connect to the web with KDE and the KPPP dialer shows up in the "internet" menu I know for sure it is installed. The only other thing I can think of other than as you say try in a consol is during the Slack install you have the choice of what you want to boot into and it might be that you need to make the choice for Gnome at that time instead of KDE. By doing that there might be some different steps come into play where after you are all done with the install that KPPP would be available in the Gnome desktop. That would be easy to do on the installation but a pain to do after all is set up and done with.

Dale . . there is a third possebillity . . . . type "kmenuedit" in a console . . and you get the menu editor . . there you can form the meu choose what kind of menu you want to use . . the KDE menu, the Gnome menu or the "all applications" menu . . . . . I guess you already feel the direction I am pointing you: the "all applications menu" :) :thumbsup: . . . . . Or make an extra entry in your gnome-menu for kppp . . . . my guess it that the "command" is /usr/bin/kppp . . you have to test that first in a console . . . . Do not forget to "save" before closing the menu editor ;):rolleyes: Bruno

Bruno,,,Okay, entered KPPP in consol in Gnome and it works (I get the same KPPP dialer window that I get using KDE). Used ugly Mozilla and got to here but, for some reason I could not log into the forum to make the post. This post is on the KDE side of Slack, but at least I know I can do it through the consol. I will try your tip out a little later on, will keep you posted as to the outcome. When I opened the consol up I got the following response:QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used (4 lines of this entry)kbuildsycoca runningwhatever all that is supposed to mean ????

Right good news, bad news . . . . keep us posted !! . . . . And maybe install Galeon with swaret to see if that browser will let you post on the forum :huh: ( Or, the konqueror browser should also work as you are in Gnome B) )B) Bruno

Bruno,,Good news so far .. posting in Slack ,, using Gnome desktop,,, connected using Galeon browser ... Onward into the valley of Linux I shall proceed ... eeeyyyaaaa

:P B) :thumbsup: Bruno/Teacher,,,,Yeah, success does feel good, when it happens. Onward, for some reason unknown to mankind (me) when I am using Mozilla browser with the Gnome desktop I cannot gain access to the forums. I enter my login name, the password, click on log me in and that be as far as it goes. We talking 5 minutes here, ate a couple pieces of chicken, drank a soda and still did not have access.Also typed that kmenuedit in the consol and got a drop down type menu that has a bunch of options on it but I don't think it is what you are refering to. I did click on the internet option and it has KPPP listed there as well as the familiar browsers and when I click on KPPP a window opens up and I am totally lost as I am not familiar with what it is telling me. But as long as I can get into the web through Gnome I reckon I should not fuss about it. Sort of like this Galeon browser too... it might grow on me .... :o (oh no)

Dale . . Galeon has been my favorite browser for many years . . . I am sure it will grow on you . . . and how about FireFox . . does that one let you login on the forum ??I have no clue what bug is preventing you to use Mozilla for the forum . . . . . but that is is a bug that is a sure thing: we on the forum do not discriminate browsers :P :thumbsup: . . . . B) Bruno

DaleIs it possible that it is set to not accept cookies? I believe that can interfer with the ability to log onto the forum as it uses a cookie on your computer to identify you so you can post!Julia :thumbsup:

Bruno/Teacher,,,,Don't know if Firefox will work or not, I do not have it installed at least to the best of my knowledge I don't. Don't think it snuck in on me :lol: .Don't know about the cookie setting at all, also don't know where to go to check on it. I know that when I use KDE/Konqueror, on my initial log in to the forums it did query about cookies but that never happened with the Gnome/Mozilla attempt, it also did not happen with Gnome/Galeon. But, Gnome/Galeon got me to the forums. When I did the Gnome/Galeon web connection/forum login it did take a long time for the login to be acknowledged, but in Gnome/Mozilla it stopped at the login.

DaleIn the Mozilla:Tools-->Cookie Manager -->Allow Cookies from this Site.See what that does.Julia :lol:

:devil: :devil: :thumbsup: Teacher,,,Well... tried that to no affect... guess that this particular setup is just not going to allow the Red LIzard to let me log into the forums. Soooo..... Gnome/Galeon is going to have to be the way to go until I can figure it out (with lots of help). But (as Bruno says) this Galeon is to shabby at all. Now the only complaint is the graphics themselves, instead of being solid colors, I have many stripes to view, blues n greens n purples, is quite colorful to say the least. At least that is the current color scheme here in Scots forums .... o:) :D :devil:

B) Well, good news for all in regards to this thread, I am finally going to close it out. That does not mean that all is well and good but it does mean that if I still have Slack problems you won't have to go through all of this to see what is up. I thank all of you for your help. My next Linux project will be (hopefully) an install of Mndrk 10.0 and it will also have another distro contained within the extended partition, either fedora core2, debian, maybe gentoo 2004.

Hi DaleI see Fedora on your wishlist . . . . . do read in advance the boot problems Peachy and Johann have/had after adding Fedora to the mix of their multiboot . . . . ( all related to grub . . . . . donno if the same goes for Lilo )http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=ST&f=14&t=7174http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=ST&f=14&t=7239B) Bruno