installing an OS on a partioned drive

longgone

Hello all....Time for update and a question. (always a question)got new set of cd's for slack 9.1 from Linux Central, installed without a hitch, did update and upgrade, went current, did update again, upgrade gimp, upgrade mozilla, tried to upgrade KDE overnight. Connection busted, machine froze up (I guess) tried to reboot and restart, pick up where it left off, no such luck. So started all over again, it is now reinstalled awaiting the update/upgrade ... this weekend maybe.question now... on my other machine I tried to put slack on it also on hda and hda is as follows...hda1 XPhda2 formatted ext3hda3 formatted ext3hda4 formatted ext3for some reason, I cannot load slack into hda2, 3, or 4 ... I have tried using cfdisk /dev/hda and cfdisk /dev/hda5 ... made to partions one for root and the other for home .. typed them and wrote to disk ... clicked on quit and at the prompt tried to enter setup and what I get is an error about bash and command not found.how come I can't use any of those partitions to put slack on, or better yet what am I doing or not doing...

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• longgone

• teacher

• jodef

Top Posters In This Topic

fdisk -l /dev/hda would help here.If possible, I would suggest downloading all your desired updates before installing them. At least you wouldn't end up with a partially broken system if a download failed. However, since I'm not a swaret user I don't know if this is possible.tranquilo

Does anyone know of a way to pause the boot up screen in Slack so that it can be read. It is way to fast for me to see what if anything might be wrong with the installation/devices. Any help on this one ???

I still do miss the boot.log in Slackware . . would be so handy ! Because dmesg just show the kernel messages . . . . :) . . . . . . But I do think it has /var/log/messages where you could have a look too . . . ( am not in Slack right now to check ) The messages are long, but they have times written at the start of each line so you can see where the last boot starts.:) Bruno

Bruno/Tranquilo...thank you for the tip/help, here is what I was trying to read as it zoomed by, what is this trying to tell me ?????Darn can't get the info here from the clipboard .. but basically it tells me that there are ... dma_intr:error=eStatusError BadCRC or it gives me dma_intr:status... SeekComplete Error

Hi DaleThere is a Tip hdparm that you might want to check out . . . but be very carefull with it ! . . . . :thumbsup: because it is not without risk . . but switching off dma just to see if it prevents the errormessage to show can not hurt.:thumbsup: Bruno

Bruno,,,Okay, did the hdparm -tT /dev/hdb and the results are (from the tip link you put up) .... 128 in 0.58 seconds = 220.69 mb/sec ... that is for the buffer-cache and the buffered disk is 64 mb in 1.86 seconds = 34.41 mb/sec ... is that good, bad , or just otherwise have not yet done the hdparm -c3 -m16 -d1 /dev/hda yet. When I go to shut it down those errors that I mentioned show up only one time rather that a group of 6 then later a group of about 12. The ones at shutdown are like this ... starting sysklogd daemons: /usr/sbin/syslogdhdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 (DriveReady Seek Complete Error) andhdb: dma_intr: error - 0x84 (Drive Status Error BadC RC) /usr/sbin/kdogd -c 3 -xWhat I guess I am really asking is this an install error and should I try it again or is this an indication of a problem with the hdb drive.

Those do look okay Dale . . mine give this:

[root@jupiter bruno]# hdparm -tT /dev/hda/dev/hda: Timing buffer-cache reads:   616 MB in  2.00 seconds = 308.00 MB/sec Timing buffered disk reads:  110 MB in  3.02 seconds =  36.42 MB/sec

( I know one time I had 39.45 :w00t: ) . . . but I have 7200 RPM disks . . . Now what leaves us is that DMA could be enabled, or set to the wrong level, on your CD-ROM drives too . . . ;) Bruno

Bruno,Here is the results of the hdparm /dev/hdb and hdparm -i /dev/hda ... I would venture to say by looking at it that the dma is on/enabled ... I would also venture to say that since I have not done anything other than install the OS and then update, and upgrade that these are the default settings./dev/hdb: multcount = 16 (on) IO_support = 1 (32-bit) unmaskirq = 1 (on) using_dma = 1 (on) keepsettings = 0 (off) readonly = 0 (off) readahead = 8 (on) geometry = 9345/255/63, sectors = 150136560, start = 0/dev/hdb: Model=IBM-DTLA-307075, FwRev=TXAOA50C, SerialNo=YSDYSG6S228 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs } RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=40 BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=1916kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=150136560 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120} PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4 DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5 AdvancedPM=yes: disabled (255) WriteCache=enabled Drive conforms to: ATA/ATAPI-5 T13 1321D revision 1: 2 3 4 5

Hi DaleI only see /dev/hdb here . . . . I think you forgot to paste /dev/hda in the post . . :thumbsup: :DBut from what I see hdb has dma enabled . . . . wich is good . . . but if you are still getting errors at boot you might have a look if disabling dma makes any difference . . . .

# hdparm -d0 /dev/hda# hdparm -d0 /dev/hdb

Will disable it for hda and hdb . . . . reboot and see the messages . . . If after that you want to switch on dma again:

# hdparm -d1 /dev/hda# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb

;)B) Bruno

Bruno,,,,,,,Welllllllll........ I did not paste hda because Slack resides on hdb. On hda are XP and Mndrk 9.2 and since this situation appeared when I booted up in Slack I just kinda, sorta figured that it was just going to appear in Slack. Now if it gonna show up in Mndrk also, I think I just might have a serious problem that I have no idea how to correct/fix/repair....... :thumbsup: B) :o

Hi DaleIf your Slack does not have hda in the fstab then you can exclude hda from having the dma problems . . . So, did you try to turn it off for hdb, and see if the boot still gives errors ?:thumbsup: Bruno

• 1 month later...

Hello,I am back once again with a Slack question ... can someone tell me what the following three lines mean .. are they real bad, not so bad or what.. Just put Slack 9.1 on my second machine and this is the only thing that popped up during the boot/shutdown sequence. Am having much better luck on the "B" machine than I did/do on the "A" machine .... go figure ..kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2 ;) :'(

Hi DaleMan, what a surprise to see this thread popping up again :DThis means it fails to probe the modules of the scsi_hostadapter . . . . . as long as you CDwriter functions and your HD is an IDE and not SCSI . . I would not be worried at all ;) :DB) Bruno

Bruno,,,,, :) ;) Have to keep everyone on their toes ... :'( :'( ... just took some time off from the Slackware install .. was getting very frustrated ... will attempt again ... don't really know if the burner is running or not ... I have not had the need to burn any disks for a long time but for sure it is not an scsi unit ... ide to be sure .... guess now I shall try the upgrade/update drill an see how far I can get .....new question though in regard to this particular install ... when scrolling a page , at least her in the forums ... it does not scroll smoothly ... it is somewhat jerky/spastic in the movements and I know it is not the operator either ... is this something that is a display issue or should I be thinking elsewhere

Have a look in /etc/X11/XF86Config ( Slakware right ? If not XF86Config-4 ) at the mousepointer section:Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" Option "Resolution" "300"Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" Option "Buttons" "3" Are all these lines present ??Also, what browser are you using ?;) Bruno

:'( ;) Bruno...Using Konqueror for now ... and tried that command both as user and as root and either way it tells me .... permisssion denied .... so cannot say what is there for those options.

DaleSorry, my text was a bit short . . :) : . . try ( as root )

cat /etc/X11/XF86Config

And have a look at those lines . . . if they need changing:

kwrite /etc/X11/XF86Config

( Also as root )B) Bruno

Bruno....# **********************************************************************# Core Pointer's InputDevice section# **********************************************************************Section "InputDevice"# Identifier and driver Identifier "Mouse1" Driver "mouse"# On platforms where PnP mouse detection is supported the following# protocol setting can be used when using a newer PnP mouse:# Option "Protocol" "Auto"# The available mouse protocols types that you can set below are:# Auto BusMouse GlidePoint GlidePointPS/2 IntelliMouse IMPS/2# Logitech Microsoft MMHitTab MMSeries Mouseman MouseManPlusPS/2# MouseSystems NetMousePS/2 NetScrollPS/2 OSMouse PS/2 SysMouse# ThinkingMouse ThinkingMousePS/2 Xqueue Option "Protocol" "PS/2"# The mouse device. The device is normally set to /dev/mouse,# which is usually a symbolic link to the real device. Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"# Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"# Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"# Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS1"# When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment# the following line.# Option "Protocol" "Xqueue"# Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In# almost every case these lines should be omitted.# Option "BaudRate" "9600"# Option "SampleRate" "150"# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)# Option "Emulate3Buttons"# Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice# Option "ChordMiddle"EndSection# Some examples of extended input devices# Section "InputDevice"# Identifier "spaceball"# Driver "magellan"# Option "Device" "/dev/cua0"# EndSection## Section "InputDevice"# Identifier "spaceball2"# Driver "spaceorb"# Option "Device" "/dev/cua0"# EndSection#I hope this helps ... 'cause this is all Greek to me but that is what was under that section using gedit

Gedit is prefect fot editing Dale . . . First we make a backup: ( Just to be sure :) )

#  cp  /etc/X11/XF86Config  /etc/X11/XF86ConfigOLDNow make the next changes, save the file and reboot:
# ********************************************************************** # Core Pointer's InputDevice section # ********************************************************************** Section "InputDevice" # Identifier and driver Identifier "Mouse1" Driver "mouse" # On platforms where PnP mouse detection is supported the following # protocol setting can be used when using a newer PnP mouse: # Option "Protocol" "Auto" # The available mouse protocols types that you can set below are: # Auto BusMouse GlidePoint GlidePointPS/2 IntelliMouse IMPS/2 # Logitech Microsoft MMHitTab MMSeries Mouseman MouseManPlusPS/2 # MouseSystems NetMousePS/2 NetScrollPS/2 OSMouse PS/2 SysMouse # ThinkingMouse ThinkingMousePS/2 Xqueue Option "Protocol" "PS/2" [color=red]<--------------------------------------------------------change to"IMPS/2"[/color] # The mouse device. The device is normally set to /dev/mouse, # which is usually a symbolic link to the real device. #Option "Device" "/dev/mouse" [color=red]<-----------------------------------------------Add an #[/color] Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"  [color=red]<-----------------------------------------------Remove an #[/color] # Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0" # Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS1" Option "Resolution" "300" [color=red]<-------------------------------------------------------Add full line[/color] Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"  [color=red]<-------------------------------------------------------Add full line[/color] Option "Buttons" "3"  [color=red]<-------------------------------------------------------Add full line[/color] # When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment # the following line. # Option "Protocol" "Xqueue" # Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In # almost every case these lines should be omitted. # Option "BaudRate" "9600" # Option "SampleRate" "150" # Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice # Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms) # Option "Emulate3Buttons" # Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50" # ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice # Option "ChordMiddle" EndSection # Some examples of extended input devices # Section "InputDevice" # Identifier "spaceball" # Driver "magellan" # Option "Device" "/dev/cua0" # EndSection # # Section "InputDevice" # Identifier "spaceball2" # Driver "spaceorb" # Option "Device" "/dev/cua0" # EndSection
Post us after reboot what the story is ;)B) Bruno

:o :o :) B) :hmm: :hmm: ;) :ermm: Bruno..........Either I did not do it right (very possible) or it not going to work .... killed my mouse dead in it's tracks ... rebooted and the mouse (cursor) will not move at all ... making this post from the XP section of this machine ... I get the feeling I am going to have to do a re-install ... which BTW I am getting fair to middlin' good at ... :lol:

No no Dale . . a reinstall is not needed . . we made a backup of the old XF86Config file, remember ?So reboot in Slack and press: Alt+F2 . . you will get a "run-box" . . type "konsole" and it will open the konsole, then:

su< password >cp  /etc/X11/XF86ConfigOLD  /etc/X11/XF86Configreboot

That will put you back at the position you were before we did this exercise :DB) Bruno

Bruno .... eeeyyaaa ... back in Slack ... in old X but at least the mouse moves now ... will leave that particular situation alone for awhile and move on to the upgrade/updates .... skeered me enough for one day .... :)

LOL . . . Dale !Great !! . . . . . And once you have gathered enough courage just try the tweak again, those lines have to be there one way or the other for the scroll to work properly :) :DBTW: did you leave a space between the 4 and 5 in < Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" > ?? . . .Did you copy and paste the lines I gave you ? . . . . Any typos ?B) Bruno

PART 2Just to be safe you could first try to only add the last 3 lines:Option "Resolution" "300"Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" Option "Buttons" "3"And leave the Option "Protocol" "PS/2"Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"As they are . . that might be enough to do the trick . . . . . if you still have a quircky mouse change the < Option "Protocol" "PS/2" > to < Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" >The very last tweak should then be the /dev/psaux in stead of the /dev/mouse . . . . . You will have to reboot after every change, or at least logout and log back in again . . . and keep your XF86ConfigOLD as safe backup to return to in case of #$@%!!!:) Bruno

Bruno ..Yes it was entered as 4 5 not 45 B) ;) did not copy n paste ... just opened it up in same window and entered it verbate as you had posted it .... .. as you say will try later ... first off gonna see if I can get it to be Slack current for once .... :) :ermm:

Bruno .....Quick question... updated Slack 9.1 ... went to current and updated it too ... upgraded mozilla .. then remembered I should have excluded ALSA ... if I reset current to 9.1 and do another update on it and exclude ALSA then change to current (again) and update it .. will I have to re-install the mozilla or will it still be good to go ...

Hi Dale,I think Mozilla should be okay and would not mess with it as long as it works :) . . . . . . don't change a winning team :DB) Bruno