• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cluttermagnet

• Urmas

• Bruno

• V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Clutter,Go to Main Menu --> System --> Device Manager --> scroll down the list of devices in the left frame. You'll see Iomega Zip there somewhere. Click on it once, then on the right frame, click on the Advanced tab. You'll then see the information about your Zip configuration. You should see what the dev ID is and the block numbers.On my current system (different system than the one in that thread about the script), my Zip is hdd4. This means it's the slave device on my secondary IDE channel. My block numbers are major-22 and minor-4. This will most likely be different on your system.I'll modify the script for you once you give me the info about your Zip.In case you haven't found Nautilus' launcher (short cut) yet, you can always start an application in Linux through the command line, as long as you know its name.

Clutter@Clutter'sSystem:~$ nautilus

That simple command will launch the Nautilus file browser.I'll keep reading here to see how things are going with you.Later...~Eric

Cluttermagnet
Clutter,Go to Main Menu --> System --> Device Manager --> scroll down the list of devices in the left frame. You'll see Iomega Zip there somewhere. Click on it once, then on the right frame, click on the Advanced tab. You'll then see the information about your Zip configuration. You should see what the dev ID is and the block numbers.On my current system (different system than the one in that thread about the script), my Zip is hdd4. This means it's the slave device on my secondary IDE channel. My block numbers are major-22 and minor-4. This will most likely be different on your system.I'll modify the script for you once you give me the info about your Zip.In case you haven't found Nautilus' launcher (short cut) yet, you can always start an application in Linux through the command line, as long as you know its name.
Clutter@Clutter'sSystem:~$ nautilus

That simple command will launch the Nautilus file browser.I'll keep reading here to see how things are going with you.Later...~Eric

Thanks, Eric!Yes, I'd already found the Advanced tab in Device Manager. I'd also found my major/minor numbers, 3 and 64 already. But somehow I'd searched for but overlooked the block device number , but it is there: /dev/hdb4 as on your system.Yes, I found I've been using Nautilus all along. It's OK. I think I'll install the KDE stuff and try it, however.

I think I'll install the KDE stuff and try it, however.
Uhh... thing is (as stated in above post(s) ), you could easily install Konqueror without installing any massive "kde-package"... if you were on broadband, that is. See, Konqueror is net browser/file manager combined, and thus much bigger a download than, say, Gnome Commander you installed recently. Plus, it requires several (KDE related) packages to be installed as dependencies. So... :thumbsup: Edited by Urmas

Yes, the complete KDE environment will be a massive and huge download for someone on dial up, nevertheless it will be worth it. Clutter comes from windows and I think KDE will more resemble that than gnome does. Let him decide for himself what he likes, I'm curious what it will be. :thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet
Uhh... thing is (as stated in above post(s) ), you could easily install Konqueror without installing any massive "kde-package"... if you were on broadband, that is. See, Konqueror is net browser/file manager combined, and thus much bigger a download than, say, Gnome Commander you installed recently. Plus, it requires several (KDE related) packages to be installed as dependencies. So... :thumbsup:
Yes, understood...At some point, I'll probably start dragging this computer over to my friend's house to use on broadband, then I can do this. ;)
Yes, the complete KDE environment will be a massive and huge download for someone on dial up, nevertheless it will be worth it. Clutter comes from windows and I think KDE will more resemble that than gnome does. Let him decide for himself what he likes, I'm curious what it will be. :D
Hi, striker-Yes, it is all quite doable if I take the tower over to friend's house. At some point, I will, then getting all of KDE is easy. ;)

Yes, the complete KDE environment will be a massive and huge download for someone on dial up, nevertheless it will be worth it. Clutter comes from windows and I think KDE will more resemble that than gnome does. Let him decide for himself what he likes, I'm curious what it will be. :D
Why, of course... let the best man... desktop win! In fact - quoting myself here ;) :
In that case... there is a "community job" all-inclusive 1.9GB monster called Ubuntu Ultimate. It's based on Edgy (6.10) now, but will hopefully be "feistied up" soon after Feisty Fawn comes out (due April 19). Download, burn, install... and you'll have all the (open source) goodies installed... KDE included. And - while still on broadband - update the system and let Automatix fetch the proprietary bits. This way you have pretty much everything you'll ever need installed, and you can set the Update Manager to inform you about critical security updates only.
:thumbsup:
Clutter comes from windows and I think KDE will more resemble that than gnome does.
For many, yes... for some others (myself included) no... it's a personal preference... only one way to find out: try 'em all! (XCFE seems to enjoy "across the board" popularity, so why not install "xubuntu-desktop" as well?) ;) Edited by Urmas

Cluttermagnet

My personality type guarantees that all Linux flavors, pretty much, will get some equal time with me. I'm a slow study. I take my time. I intend to try lots of distros during the next few years. Perhaps I will develop one favorite, perhaps I will end up having two or more. Just last night, I had a chance to download Mandriva. I was pressed for time, so I only grabbed the mandriva-free-2007-mini.iso that fits on a single CD. Maybe I will like KDE better than Gnome- who knows? But I'll tell you, I was very impressed with Gnome Partition Manager. Someone did some excellent work on that utility, and I think it will be hard to top it, with me. I'm an instant fan! Several years ago, I started hearing about Knoppix and the Live CD environment, where you could use Linux to look at and fix broken Windows OS's. I knew, right then, that I had to learn Linux, if for no other reason than that. But there are plenty of other reasons to learn Linux. I'll leave that for another thread. :thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet

Uh-That Mandriva 'live CD' I downloaded- I've tried it a couple times, but can't even get past the boot sequence. They've made it rather inintuitive and somewhat user unfriendly IMO. I was trying to start a live CD session. The choices at boot are not clear. I made several passes through (there is an unfriendly, very brief countdown timer that forces too quick a decision). If you don't choose something, it hands off to the hard drive. I finally figured to pick one of the non-install(?) options, something about lo res vga or lo res video (or something). Anyway, that line item did not say "Install" as the first line did. Well, I soon was in a panic when presented with a EULA to agree to. I backed out, rather than continue. For all I knew, clicking "Yes" would have resulted in an install. Now, I clearly understood that Mandriva can run in live CD mode, but perhaps not this mini CD? I've never seen a live CD session pop up a EULA before, so I can only assume it was getting ready to install. I'd need some hand holding to even figure out what I have got on this CD, plus learn how to run it live? Anyone?

:thumbsup: ;) ;) Yes... finding the right Mandriva download is... a mission for Bruno, really:http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2007
Mandriva Free 2007 Mini for i586 and x86_64 700 MiB i586 package list x86_64 package list A dual architecture (i586 and x86_64) single CD. You can use it both on 32- and 64-bit x86_64 machines, the installer will detect your processor and boot the correct version of the installer. If you want to use a 32 bit installation on a 64 bit machine, you can select it by pressing F3 then F6 at the boot prompt. This CD includes the minimal set of packages for a running system, however you can include an Internet source of packages during the installation or after the installation to add extra packages. (translates as "install only")BUT:Mandriva One Free mandriva-one-2007-free-gnome.iso 697 MiB, GNOME Live CD for i586 and x86_64 processors, English, French, German, Polish, Portuguese Brazil, Russian, Spanish mandriva-one-2007-free-kde.iso 698 MiB, KDE Live CD for i586 processors and x86_64 processors, English, French, German, Polish, Portuguese, Portuguese Brazil, Russian, Spanish(these are Live CD:s with option to install)
More on these:http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/mandrivaonehttp://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free Edited by Urmas

Cluttermagnet

Oh boy-Well, my mistake. I saw the x86 but missed x86_64. I am not running a 64bit machine, this is older 32bit stuff here. My bad. :thumbsup: ;)

My bad. ;) ;)
Nope... at least don't hit yourself too hard. :D The labyrinth of downloads could be presented in a more understandable way.Oh, about Gnome/KDE... a Gnome fan I might be, but with Mandriva I'd go with KDE... Gnome in Mandriva feels like ... dunno... "add-on" fastened with staples and duct tape (JUST MY OPINION! :thumbsup: ). Edited by Urmas

I'm not throwing sardines at you or anything... I think Ubuntu should run GNOME by default, and Mandriva should run KDE by default. They were built with each environment in mind. It shouldn't stop anyone from playing around though. ;)Adam

Man this thread is running fast . . . . I can not remember what post I did read last . . . :'(Anyway, a few things I picked up:- If you want to download ( or let your friend download ) Mandriva better NOT take the "free" edition !In case you want a Live CD take the "Mandriva-One" link to ISO: mandriva-one-2007-kde1.isoBut if your friend has enough bandwidth and CDs you better get the "Install CDs or DVD":The 4 CDs:mandriva-free-2007-CD1.i586.iso/mandriva-free-2007-CD2.i586.isomandriva-free-2007-CD3.i586.isomandriva-free-2007-CD4.i586.isoOr the DVD:mandriva-free-2007-DVD.iso ( 4544106 KB )- Next about Ubuntu and KDE . . . I am running a mix of Ubuntu and Kubuntu on my testsystem, and this way I have both Gnome and KDE to choose from . . . . . . it is more fun but without broadband you will have a hard time downloading the additional packages you need to have that mix.:w00t: BrunoPS: Please let me know if I missed commenting on something ;)

Thanks for the links Bruno. As a matter of fact, I downloaded and burned the live-one and am surfing here on it. (Just killing time until TC4 comes out for PCLinux). It had no problem finding everything. About the only change I'd prefer is to have BIGGER screen size. I know what is recommended but it's just too small for these older eyes.Anyway, it gives me the chance to find my notes on display and see if I can fix it more to my liking. If I can't I'll be back clammoring for help.update...oh my, that was tons easier than I ever expected. I right clicked the desktop just to see what would happen. I got a menu and I selected "configure desktop". That was it. My eyes are now happy and I won't have those squint lines all over my face.

Edited by zlim

Thanks for the links Bruno. As a matter of fact, I downloaded and burned the live-one and am surfing here on it. (Just killing time until TC4 comes out for PCLinux). It had no problem finding everything. About the only change I'd prefer is to have BIGGER screen size. I know what is recommended but it's just too small for these older eyes.Anyway, it gives me the chance to find my notes on display and see if I can fix it more to my liking. If I can't I'll be back clammoring for help.update...oh my, that was tons easier than I ever expected. I right clicked the desktop just to see what would happen. I got a menu and I selected "configure desktop". That was it. My eyes are now happy and I won't have those squint lines all over my face.
The Live-One is indeed the easiest to use . . . . . has only a limited amount of packages installed though, but you can add the "sources" and install the same sorts of goodies the DVD "Install" version has. The advantage of the Live-One is that it has the browserplugins by installed default where the install-DVD you have to install them yourself.( Yep it is complicated all those versions . . . . they should have takes a much simpler approach ):thumbsup: Bruno

Guest LilBambi
- Next about Ubuntu and KDE . . . I am running a mix of Ubuntu and Kubuntu on my testsystem, and this way I have both Gnome and KDE to choose from . . . . . . it is more fun but without broadband you will have a hard time downloading the additional packages you need to have that mix.B) BrunoPS: Please let me know if I missed commenting on something :rolleyes:
Same here Bruno! Best of both worlds. :thumbsup: I love it!I also used the LiveCD to install Ubuntu after trying all three LiveCDs (Ubuntu, Kubuntu and XUbuntu).Then when I was able to have the computer on a broadband connection, I installed the updates and KDE.

Cluttermagnet

Yesterday I decided to renew my car license plates online because I was too near my deadline. I did it in Ubuntu and everything in the electronic transaction went fine. Then I realized I needed to print my online invoice as proof- 'temporary registration'. Then it hit me- I had no printer configured in Ubuntu, and no chance that was going to happen soon. So I saved the day by simply hitting Print Scrn and then saving it and exporting it to one of my 98SE boxes on a floppy. Thank goodness it was a small .png and easily fit. I was having trouble saving it to my USB flash drive. I printed it out uneventfully over in Windows. So here is an example that shows that experienced Windows guys can do things reasonably well as Linux explorers right fron the start. I'm keeping a good, positive feeling about my prospects of mastering Linux, in time. It sure does sure help to have a group of friendly helpers to bring questions to. I think you will do good if Dell decides to send a few newcomers your way. :thumbsup:

I had no printer configured in Ubuntu, and no chance that was going to happen soon.
Let's see... going back a bit... oh, yes, here it is:
I have HP 932C and 3747 ink jet printers.
Here's the drill: with printer connected and powered on, go to System->Administration->Printing->double click on "New Printer" icon.Choose "Local Printer". The wizard may or may not auto detect the make and model... if it doesn't, there is a menu for manufacturers... choose "HP"... next, model... choose "Deskjet 932C" or "Deskjet 3740" <methinks... I run the Wiz... that was the closest thing> respectively. The wiz will suggest a suitable driver... go with it. Print a test page. That's it. I hope. (Well... that's almost it. Gimp (the image manipulation program) has its own printer setup thingy, but let's take one thing at a time.) :thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet
Linux and The Mac also have a built in option to print to PDF. B)
Oh, really? That would be wonderful! But how do you access that capability? I'm assuming that, as in Windows, you would have to have at least one printer installed first, right?

Cluttermagnet
Let's see... going back a bit... oh, yes, here it is:Here's the drill: with printer connected and powered on, go to System->Administration->Printing->double click on "New Printer" icon.Choose "Local Printer". The wizard may or may not auto detect the make and model... if it doesn't, there is a menu for manufacturers... choose "HP"... next, model... choose "Deskjet 932C" or "Deskjet 3740" <methinks... I run the Wiz... that was the closest thing> respectively. The wiz will suggest a suitable driver... go with it. Print a test page. That's it. I hope. (Well... that's almost it. Gimp (the image manipulation program) has its own printer setup thingy, but let's take one thing at a time.) :)
Aw, gee, Urmas-Linux is supposed to be difficult and frustrating to learn. You're depriving me of all the misery I'd normally expect from a new OS. Oh, well, I'll just have to accept that it's going to be easy, and learn to live with that. ;) :whistling: BTW the test page is very colorful... :whistling:Thanks! :thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet
Don't think so, you're printing to a file not a printer. Konqueror (KDE) just lists print to PDF as an option under Printer Name.
Thanks, Elizabeth!I tried it by taking my .png document created yesterday and 'printing' it to a .pdf. No active indication whether or not that 'happened'. Then I searched for it and it was indeed in my user folder. Great! I had to chuckle, however, to note that it created a 4.6M pdf document from an ~100k .png. Also, it displays, when clicked on, rotated 90 degrees counter- clockwise (on it's side). :rolleyes:The Evince 0.5.2 viewer does allow you to rotate the view and zoom in and out. Close enough for now. I value having pdf creation capability. It's a little geeky to add that to a 98SE OS. Edited by Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

:thumbsup:Yes, great feature. Also you can Export any Open Office file to PDF as well on the main File menu. Might be an option as well for some things. It has been a lifesaver for me at times.