Clutter Learns Linux

Cluttermagnet

Wow! A year already....... Congrats! :)I've been doing linux now since about fall 2003. that would make it about 4 and a half years now... ;)Adam

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cluttermagnet

• Urmas

• Bruno

• V.T. Eric Layton

Cluttermagnet
Wow! One whole year!!? Hard to believe it's been that long already!You have soaked it up like a sponge Clutter! It's great to see a technically oriented person get in touch with his/her Linux self B)
Yep- I've gotten in touch with my 'inner penguin' for sure! B) :thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet
Time flies when you have fun, huh? "Clutter Learns Linux" has been great fun to follow... congratulations, Clutter!
Definitely a fun year! I continue to mine for info in this, my own thread. It definitely helps me to remember all the stuff I've learned.BTW right now I'm running from a live CD session of DSL 4.2.5. I like this lightweight distro very much!Ubuntu continues to work very well for me. I have also dabbled with Mint and Mandriva One Gnome edition.I'll try others as time permits. Eventually I will get around to learning how to:~ Compile my own stuff~ Run virtual OS's~ Set up portable thumb drive OS's(not necessarily in that order).

• 1 year later...
Cluttermagnet

Wow, time flies! It has been 2 years, 4 months since I installed my first Linux distro (Ubuntu Dapper 6.06). It's been a fun ride, and I am now a confirmed Linux user for sure.I'm going to list some links here which have helped me a lot in learning the OS. Some were started by me, some by other forum members. Not that there aren't many other excellent threads in Bruno's Linux Forum. These simply happen to be a few that have helped me in particular- or were just 'milestone' posts- and I want to be able to remember them. I'm also including just a few external links which I found unusually complete and helpful.Grub2 Worms Into Ubuntu (part 1), From LinuxPlanetChange grub boot screen from drab/functional to gorgeous.Screen Resolution in UbuntuOvercome 'too small' screen size with nVidia cards in new Ubuntu install10 Free Linux Ebooks For Beginners, Nice selectionSelf explanatoryUbuntu 9.04 and Aborted SWF Codec InstallQuick, easy way to set up Flash, mp3, videos, etc. in a new installUbuntu equivalent to MCC, Where and how...Gnome Control Center, Ubuntu TweakLinux/Ubuntu Milestone for ClutterEva's useful guide to Ubuntu 9.04A great 'finishing touches' web page for Jaunty 9.04Getting back my Floppy Drive, ubuntu 8.10...Screen resolution, Ubuntu 9.04, Intel 82852ATI Video Card, Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty, Can I Get Larger Screen Size?

Edited by Cluttermagnet

• 1 year later...
Cluttermagnet

It's been 4 years and 3 months now since I started using Linux. Still a very happy camper. It's been a great ride!Occasionally I return to this long thread to add or revise the url list in the previous post. Editing avoids bumping the topic. Today I'm adding a short list of my current favorite helper software for Ubuntu. BTW I've moved most of my Ubuntu 8.04/9.04 boxes to the 10.04 LTS release. 10.04 seems pretty solid to me. My memory needs all the help it can get. These posts serve as an alternative 'reminder page' about what to add after a fresh install- in case I've left my spiral notebook at home or whatever.Update Synaptic and install:♦ ubuntu-restricted-extras♦ k3b♦ ubuntu-tweak♦ gparted♦ glabels♦ gnome-device-manager♦ xchat♦ gftp♦ hardinfo

Edited by Cluttermagnet

This thread has always been one of my favorites on BATL because it shows that learning about and using Linux is something you have to do for the long haul.I was just thinking that it's coming up on 5 years for me. I remember I was looking round for a cheaper alternative to buying an XP licence for a second computer when support ended for Windows Me in July 2006. SueD suggested Linux. At the time I knew nothing about distros, downloads, ISOs, partitioning, running an O/S off the CD-ROM. I went to a local computer shop and the friendly owner gave me an Ubuntu 5.10 CD. After an install and upgrade to 6.06 Dapper Drake I was off and running (or should I say off and crawling.)SueD later introduced me over here, so I had a front row seat to watch Clutter learn Linux.When I think of what I went through to learn about configuring wireless, WPA encryption, building wifi modules...oy. And this was with a basement desktop, so I didn't have to run wires through the walls and floor. The laptop users today don't realize how good they have it with Network Manager or WICD.

jmjlinux586

Hello,I guess we have all come a long way on our journey with linux.For some, doing things with linux is now second nature,but this thread shows that you do have to learn howto crawl before you can walk.I have asked a lot of people if they have heard of linux,most of them say "what's linux?"Anyway, if you start browsing this thread from thebeginning, you can see a lot of members who helped,especially Bruno, and that is what linux is all about,helping each other learn. That's what this forum is all about. :D Thanks for this thread, it brings back a lot of memories. :P I hope it will help other people learn Linux. :)

Edited by jmjlinux586

It's been 4 years and 3 months now since I started using Linux. Still a very happy camper. It's been a great ride!Occasionally I return to this long thread to add or revise the url list in the previous post. Editing avoids bumping the topic. Today I'm adding a short list of my current favorite helper software for Ubuntu. BTW I've moved most of my Ubuntu 8.04/9.04 boxes to the 10.04 LTS release. 10.04 seems pretty solid to me.
I have three computers on lucid, and since they all run just fine, I will stay there until 12.04 (pinhead possum or whatever they will call it).Yes siree, linux has moved ahead by leaps and bounds since my first foray in RH 8 in 200?.

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, guys- Scot's has been a very friendly and supportive place to better learn how to work with desktops and OS's. Although it's slightly embarrassing to look back at how- ahhh- basic my early questions were, this can indeed serve as one case study for how one goes about learning Linux.It's quite interesting when I contrast two very diverse experiences I had in the earlier days with Linux. Example One would be the utter frustration of booting into my very first live CD Linux environment, in this case, an early Knoppix- and how very useless I felt there. Nothing was familiar- or intuitive, IMO. I didn't spend much time there. Retreated to Win98SE, where I at least knew what I was doing. But one very strong impression from that experience was the sound that Knoppix made with the heads in my hard drive as it loaded. I was very impressed. I'd had computers for about 11 years at that point, but I'd never heard Windows make such sounds- it sounded more laid back and 'chaotic'. Knoppix made those drive heads very busy. Reminded me of the sounds a sewing machine makes when running. It was like that drive was purring. Now, I've got a real good set of ears, being a lifelong radio- telegrapher. I notice little sonic details many or most might miss, and I could tell that this Linux was a very different (software) animal.Example Two would be my early experiences with Ubuntu and Mint, covered starting from page 1 of this thread and culminating with post #73 on page 3. Ubuntu was clearly ready for prime time with more average users like me. One can't help but notice that it was a guided experience for me. Indeed, that's a big part of the reasons Scot created his Forums. I'd previously gotten a lot of really good help here with Win98SE as well. No doubt there are plenty of folks who can do it more independently than I did, but the support made it way easier for me. Now I can- and do- 'pass it on', every chance I get. Thanks guys. :thumbsup: