Clutter Learns Linux

Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
OK, I think we might need to clear up a bit of terminology, so we are all saying the same thing. :thumbsup:Swap- Pagefile in Windows, except it is usually in its own partition. Virtual Memory. Could be called other things. In Linux, it is swap.Common Partition- Not really a term per se, but a common concept... a partition that you access from multiple distros for the storage of documents, music, etc.I was talking about the common partition. If you are only going to have on distro installed for the foreseeable future, then I would say a FAT32 partition will be more than adequate for document storage. Since you are stil going to have Windows on this computer yet, then the common partition would need to be FAT32, since Windows does not read ext2/3 partitions without some extras installed. Not to mention FAT32 is easier to get working in Linux than ext2/3 is in Windows.I guess Microsoft never envisioned anyone ever using anything but their products. :DAdam
Thanks, Adam-Actually, I really did understand most of this as described before. The only part that threw me off is the business about setting up some sort of a special ('dummy') user account and user ID which would be common between different Linux distros sharing the swap partition. My reasoning is to 'keep it simple' and this looked like something I don't yet need to concern myself with. I decided that, for now, I'll limit it to a dual boot with 98SE and Ubuntu, then concentrate on learning Linux on the machine. I figure by the time I have 2 or more Linux distros on a machine, I will have already crashed and totally reloaded Ubuntu at least once. ;) BTW at the desk I sit at right now are 2 monitors/kbd/mice and 4 different PC towers, all are P4 types, and perhaps 2 of them will become permanent Linux machines very soon, as I transition into that OS. So I don't have to squeeze absolutely everything into a small space. I have lots of room to experiment and grow into Linux. As I learn, I will add in these other things (simple though they be), and make my setup run more efficiently. For now, I'd prefer to simply plan on adding additional swaps if I add additional distros. All this fine detail, however simple it is, feels like 'too much' for one still on training wheels. ;) You're trying to teach me Linux 201 and I'm actually only up to Remedial Pre-Linux 010B, second semester. In a week or two, I may work my way up to Linux 101. :hysterical: Remember, I haven't even mastered 'users' yet- I never really mastered Windows XP (and don't own any copies), and that is just one of several reasons why- I dislike the whole user thing. Yes, Windows taught a lot of us some very baaaaaad habits. ;) BTW your writings have been pretty clear all along, and I think I usually understand you well. I appreciate very much all the help I'm getting, but then I know that Scot's Linux Forum has a well- deserved reputation of being user friendly. You guys never cease to amaze and inspire. And when I get the chance with friends and their computers, I pass along the favor. :thumbsup:P.S. OK, I see you are talking about the storage partition, which can be FAT32 and can be used in common by both Windows and Linux. I understood that all along. And I'm gald it can be FAT32 so 98SE can benefit from access. So we may still need to clear up whether your comments about that special user ID applied to a common Linux swap partition, as I thought, or whether you were referrring to a common storage partition being shared by several OS's. Edited by Cluttermagnet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cluttermagnet

• Urmas

• Bruno

• V.T. Eric Layton

So we may still need to clear up whether your comments about that special user ID applied to a common Linux swap partition, as I thought, or whether you were referrring to a common storage partition being shared by several OS's.
Two different issues here:1. SWAP: no user ID issues here... when you create the partitions, the [ubuntu] installer creates the swap partition and it's... "specified"... not as "ext3" but "linux-swap". The term "common" in this context simply means that if you are to install additional distros later on, there is no need to create new swap partitions for each of them... just tell the installer(s) to use the existing swap partition. So... this might become relevant for you later... but not yet.2. STORAGE: you've got it already. With FAT32 partitions user ID:s are a non-issue.... ... ... 15. Install already! You're good to go! :hysterical: Penguin-animation.gif :thumbsup: Edited by Urmas

Cluttermagnet

LOL! Yes, I know, come on in, the water's frigid- errr, fine!It sure is hard to get those Linux noobs- errr, explorers to take that first swim... :hysterical:

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Right.....The user ID issues only arise when you are trying to share a common ext3 partition amongst distros for the purpose of sharing data, i.e. Documents, etc. When using FAT32 for the shared partition, it is not an issue, and only requires a small edit to your fstab to make work properly. Once you get to that point, we will be more than happy to help you with that.As far as the "dummy" account..... the installers for distros will have the ability to create users, but there are usually limited features in those particular routines, so I doubt you could create a user account with a specific UID during the install. Also, Ubuntu only has one user account, which you will have to create during the setup..... there is no "root" account enabled by default. Since there is no root, you have to set something up during the install, so you can log in. Once you are logged in, you can go ahead and create the specific user with the particular UID needed. That is what I meant by "dummy" account. Clear as mud, right? :DDon't worry about not being comfortable in linux or the the linux way yet. It took me a good 18 months to get really comfortable with it. :hysterical: I'm likely only to the Linux 301 level myself. :DAdam

Don't worry about not being comfortable in linux or the the linux way yet. It took me a good 18 months to get really comfortable with it. :thumbsup: I'm likely only to the Linux 301 level myself. :DAdam
Wow, I think I must be at level 16 or 17 by now then. :hysterical:

Cluttermagnet
Did PCLinux make your live cd collection? I hope so, I know I wish I had tried it sooner. Things would have been a lot easier on me in the beginning if I had. :thumbsup:
I just got a chance tonight to burn that .iso to CD again. This time, the burner program must have got it right. I'm connected online (dialup) using PCLinuxOS in a live CD session. This is the 2nd distro where I have had immediate success with the modem configuration. Ubuntu has been, so far, the easiest, however, for first time user dialup setup. Slightly easier, not a huge difference. Just for those of you who are keeping score. Ubuntu makes you go looking for networking (I actually prefer that), PCLinuxOS is a bit more in your face and makes you answer questions about your networking first thing during setup. I'm now set up and am going to install Ubuntu on this machine tonight or tomorrow. I'll keep playing with the PCLinuxOS distro, as I'm hearing good things about it.

Cluttermagnet

OK, guys-You can break out the champagne and noisemakers. Clutter installed his first Linux distro today. Ubuntu 6.06. Everything came together very smooth because of the excellent help I received here, and also the quality of the online tutorials I used. It pays to do your homework. I used Gparted and sucessfully made the root, home, and swap partitions needed. This was a very easy partition tool to use. Then I started the actual install. It probably took less than 5 minutes to work through the setup dialog, then the install took about 7-8 minutes on my P4 1.6GHz box to finish putting everything on the drive and finding hardware and setting everything up. The Grub window is pretty self- explanatory, and Grub did find my Win98SE partition just fine. :thumbsup: Now I'll spend a lot of time with the new OS and try things and start asking more questions (and also read the- ahem- manual). :happyroll: A fun new adventure awaits me. Just remind me of that next time I start complaining about how hard it is to do things. :happyroll: I may know what I'm doing in a year or so.

V.T. Eric Layton

OH BOY! Now the real FUN begins! 6.06... you're talking my language, Clutter! Give a holler if you need any assistance at all. :thumbsup:

Couple of things you should do first... they'd be fast and easy... but you're on dial-up, so... well... slow and easy. :thumbsup: 1. Updating the system. There'll be a truckload of updates, and Ubuntu's Update Manager will notify you about them pretty soon. If you prefer not to wait for the notification, here's the drill:Go to System -> Maintenance -> Update Manager. It'll ask for password. Next you'll see this:updates1tncz5.pngHIT RELOAD. It'll check the pre-selected repositories for available updates. Next, it'll tell you you have five Brazillion updates available. When you hit "Install", it'll download and install all of them. Meanwhile... write your memoirs... reinvent the wheel... you'll have plenty of time. When it's done its job, it'll tell you that your system is up-to-date, and because there is a Kernel update among all the stuff, it'll politely ask you to reboot. 2. Proprietory bits and pieces. A fresh Ubuntu install is open source only. That means no mp3/Winmedia/Realmedia/Java/Flash/etc./etc./etc. support. The easiest way (because a novice user is bound to have difficulties in searching for right codecs etc.) to deal with this is to install and run a helper program called Automatix2. Here's the download link. Download it to your desktop:http://www.getautomatix.com/apt/dists/dapp...dapper_i386.debOnce downloaded, double click on the icon. A program called "Gdebi Package installer" will ask for a password, notify that "all dependencies have been fulfilled", and install Automatix upon your saying so.Once installed, open Automatix (System Tools -> Automatix). Password prompt. Browse all the categories and mark everything you want to be installed. Pay special attention to multimedia codecs... install everything that's legal in your corner of the World. (Oooops... did I just hear someone yell "Hooligan b*stards!" ?)38lc4.gifHaving selected all the stuff you want, hit "Start". Gonna take some time, but... dialup sucketh.Automatix will also modify your repository list by "opening" the Ubuntu "universe" and "multiverse" repositories. Saves you the trouble... they are necessary.Poor modem... but once all this is done, you have a system that is up-do-date and codec'd to the hilt. :hysterical:Edit: Adam has collected Ubuntu links:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=17087A great collection! :happyroll: :happyroll: :thumbsup:

Edited by Urmas

Hmm..... that should keep his modem busy for a week! :happyroll:
Yeah... but for future reference... there are six-DVD-repository-sets available for Dapper (6.06) and Edgy (6.10):ftp://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/pub/linux/ubuntu-...l-packages-dvd/AND: here's a "how-to-brew-your-own-and-keep-it-up-to-date":http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php...itories+on+DVDsI bet that in no time Clutter's got a repo disk brewery set up at a friend's house where there is a broadband connection... of course he'll need to "Linux" the computer in there first.hillbillymoonshineuk4.gifhillbillymoonshineuk4.gifhillbillymoonshineuk4.gif :thumbsup: Edited by Urmas

Congratulations! I haven't installed Ubuntu because I couldn't get it to set up my printer. It was the first distro I seriously considered installing because of the ease.FYI, the latest release of PCLinux is the first time I've seen that set up your network. The former versions had nothing like that. I'm not sure that I care for that feature.

Cluttermagnet

Thanks!Well, everyone assumes broadband connectivity. I hesitated to click on the downloads icon which soon appeared up in the top toolbar ('panel'). Probably that was a good decision at the time. A week of downloading just wouldn't work, despite the fact I have two phone lines! I'm almost thinking that it might be best to take the computer to my friend's house and hook it to cable internet over there? As I understand it, this computer must 'personally' interact with the repo sites to determine what to download. There is probably no way just to obtain a list of needed updates and get CDs loaded with software to bring back here?BTW a friend had encouraged me to buy an inexpensive USB wireless dongle, and provided plans for mounting it in front of a parabolic reflector, etc. Seems he thought I might be able to 'sniff around the neighborhood' looking for unsecured network shares? I have the little gadget in a desk drawer, never did play with that... :happyroll: :thumbsup: I'm just too cheap to shell out 50-60 USD per month for bottom tier broadband. For me, the bottom line is 30USD or cheaper. DSL is *not* available to me. Too far from the Central Office. In my area, there was no competition. Building out a fiber network takes time and lots of money. Now they are just getting around to letting the phone company set up their fiber optic network. My less densely populated area will be several more years without any competition, then we will finally have the FTTP alternative to cable. I expect to see collusion to keep broadband prices up around 50-60USD or higher. This is a fairly affluent area, so they are always gouging on prices and services around here. Gasoline ('petrol') is much more expensive in my area than just a few miles away in neighboring jurisdictions, this due to 'zone pricing' (rip everyone off) by the oil companies. Bah Humbug! Meanwhile, would it make sense to update 'one at a time'? How about Firefox? Ubuntu installs 1.5.0.3. Mozilla has us all up to 1.5.0.11. This is something I need to learn. Last night, I downloaded a small .xpi file which installs "Ebay Negs" into Firefox as an extension. That got done, and I now have that small file (and icon) cluttering my Desktop, the default download location. I know so little about Linux that I have no idea (yet) how to open a file editor and locate and remove/move files. I need to get busy and start acquiring these necessary skills. In Windows I'm very adept at file management.

Cluttermagnet
Congratulations! I haven't installed Ubuntu because I couldn't get it to set up my printer. It was the first distro I seriously considered installing because of the ease.FYI, the latest release of PCLinux is the first time I've seen that set up your network. The former versions had nothing like that. I'm not sure that I care for that feature.
That would be annoying, if true. I have HP 932C and 3747 ink jet printers. Seems it wouldn't be too annoying, however, if I could save files to print and 'bring them across' to my co-booting 98SE OS to print there. Or export to another PC tower on my desk. I have 4 of them just on this one desk. And a few others. Heh! My printing activity is relatively sparse. I print something perhaps once or twice a week. BTW I never learned the networking thing. I've never bothered to make all my 98SE machines network, share printers, etc. I considered it unnecessary and a big security risk overall. Networks are too buggy and vulnerable to hacking. I have a USB crossover device, should I ever want to migrate large masses of files from one platform to another. Hasn't happened, to date. That crossover sits in a desk drawer.The networking setup dialog could get tiring in PCLinuxOS. Would not be a big deal if the OS got installed, of course, but could become anoying in live CD sessions, after a while. Perhaps they ought to resort to a 'wizard' approach, when booting the live CD? Offer, not demand? They're trying to do 'everything' for the average user lever Windows vidiot. Heh! Gotta make Linux easier (hey, I'm not criticizing that). If it is easier, you will start to see more defections in the Windows camp, as people get tired of being used and abused... Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
Don't forget about this great source of Ubuntu information started by Adam...http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...hl=ubuntu+links
Thanks!I had already noted that resource, a while back. I'd therefore had a chance to see the Ubuntu networking tutorial and was clued as to how to set up dialup in Ubuntu. My first attempt to 'modem out' was a piece of cake when I actually tried it for the first time. :thumbsup:OTOH I was confronted with KPPP in another distro recently, and I stumbled and never did get dialup runing in that session. But I'll be back to learn that eventually. So little time...

The networking setup dialog could get tiring in PCLinuxOS.
This is a problem only dial-up users have . . . . because broadband users are automatically connected at boot so they do not have to use the wizard. And because you belong to a minority ( being a dialup user ) there is little chance that your problem will be addressed any time soon. Sorry but you will have to live with the inconvenience: running a distro "Live" on dialup means you will have to configure the connection again at every boot. ;)Once installed to HD your settings will be saved and the problem will be gone :DB) Bruno

Cluttermagnet
Yeah... but for future reference... there are six-DVD-repository-sets available for Dapper (6.06) and Edgy (6.10):ftp://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/pub/linux/ubuntu-...l-packages-dvd/AND: here's a "how-to-brew-your-own-and-keep-it-up-to-date":http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php...itories+on+DVDsI bet that in no time Clutter's got a repo disk brewery set up at a friend's house where there is a broadband connection... of course he'll need to "Linux" the computer in there first.hillbillymoonshineuk4.gifhillbillymoonshineuk4.gifhillbillymoonshineuk4.gif :thumbsup:
Ahhh-I think I see what you are getting at. If this is a way to carry software back from my friend's broadband connection, this would be the way to go for me right now. I'll look into it.This friend's computer is an 'average' XP setup, and would first need some work in its own right. It's getting messy on that hard drive. Would have to get it all cleaned up, then partitioned, or add a second hard drive. Probably has only a CDRW drive, I'll have to look into whether or not it burns DVD's.Addendum: Hmmm, that's impressive! I just had a look at your tutorial website (the Ubuntu Forums thread). This may be slightly above my pay grade at the moment, yet it looks doable. I'm not intimidated by command lines, per se. After all, that's where I started out, some 30 years ago, when I was learning FORTRAN in college. BTW Windows was actually an adjustment for me, as the GUI approach was less than intuitive (at first). I was command line- oriented in my outlook. Oh boy! I bet I'm going to crash and burn Linux a bunch of times as I learn this stuff... :hysterical:I think the answer for me (at first) is to carry my computer to the broadband site and let Ubuntu update itself. I need to concentrate on learning basic skills first. I have no knowledge of how to navigate and manipulate files, even. That's the logical place to start. Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

A special note to Urmas-We were talking, a while back, about what it might be that causes so many Windows users to procrastinate about Linux- to wait so long before actually trying Linux. In due time, I will write a thread about my experiences. But an old joke suggested itself early on. It seems that, when you die and go to heaven, you find yourself in this waiting room. You are facing two doors. One is simply marked "Heaven". The other is marked "Seminar about Heaven". Its just plumb amazing how many choose the second door. All the perfectionists in the group. They are afraid they won't get it right, so they want to study it first. Seems that, once you go in there, there are lots of kids games to play, lots of television to watch. Somehow, the seminar never gets called into session. Eventually, even a vidiot would get bored, and he'd notice there's a side door marked "Heaven"... :thumbsup:

Okay...

I hesitated to click on the downloads icon which soon appeared up in the top toolbar ('panel'). Probably that was a good decision at the time. A week of downloading just wouldn't work, despite the fact I have two phone lines! I'm almost thinking that it might be best to take the computer to my friend's house and hook it to cable internet over there?
Well... "week" might be a tad - more than a tad, actually :hysterical: - overstating... but, yeah, the fastest way to get the updates would indeed to go your friends' place. By the way, you can check out the "update payload" by opening the Update Manager and hitting "Reload". You'll see the # of updates and the total size. If you think it's too much, just hit "Cancel". No harm done.
As I understand it, this computer must 'personally' interact with the repo sites to determine what to download. There is probably no way just to obtain a list of needed updates and get CDs loaded with software to bring back here?
Yes to "parsonal interaction", unless you can obtain the repo DVD's I wrote about in an above post.
...an inexpensive USB wireless dongle ...
Without commenting the idea per se, a word of warning: USB network gizmos are "watch what you buy" stuff... if you see a brand/model you might want to purchase, do a [ubuntu] forum search.
Meanwhile, would it make sense to update 'one at a time'?
Err... nope. It's possible, though.
How about Firefox? Ubuntu installs 1.5.0.3. Mozilla has us all up to 1.5.0.11.
Ubuntu updates FF (and all the other standard, "repo based" software) along with system updates. FF update will be in that huge pile of yours. However, Dapper (6.06) only updates within "1.5" range. FF 2+ isn't in Dapper repos. If you want "latest" FF, there is a howto in Adam's list.
Last night, I downloaded a small .xpi file which installs "Ebay Negs" into Firefox as an extension. That got done, and I now have that small file (and icon) cluttering my Desktop, the default download location.
FF extensions work just like in Windoze... just point the FF "extension manager" to the file in your desktop. And after having installed the extension you can move the .xpi file to trash.
I know so little about Linux that I have no idea (yet) how to open a file editor and locate and remove/move files.
Editor or manager? Gnome's default file manager is called Nautilus, and you can open it - this is one method - by Places -> Home or Places -> Desktop.The default text editor is called "Gedit" (Apps -> Accessories -> Text Editor).(Note: there are numerous alternatives for both of them.) :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

For folks reluctant to let go of that Windows security blanket, it's not a bad idea to have a partition on your system that's common to both Windows and Linux. I use that common partition to store data that I want to easily share between the two OS's. Make it FAT32 and you're all set. :hysterical:

Cluttermagnet
Without commenting the idea per se, a word of warning: USB network gizmos are "watch what you buy" stuff... if you see a brand/model you might want to purchase, do a [ubuntu] forum search.FF extensions work just like in Windoze... just point the FF "extension manager" to the file in your desktop. And after having installed the extension you can move the .xpi file to trash.Editor or manager? Gnome's default file manager is called Nautilus, and you can open it - this is one method - by Places -> Home or Places -> Desktop.The default text editor is called "Gedit" (Apps -> Accessories -> Text Editor).(Note: there are numerous alternatives for both of them.) :hysterical:
Thanks!Well, aside from 'ethical issues', this should also be doable on the Windows side. Acquire the data there, burn the DVD's there. BTW did you know there is supposedly a 'folk rebellion' aimed at ripoff high broadband prices? I hear some people commenting on the net that they intentionally leave their own wireless network shares open, as a crude form of 'frontier justice' against the greedy providers. (Yes, it is *technically* illegal, but yes, it is just. I'm not at all sure it is immoral, that's another topic...). I've never gone there personally, but must admit to being tempted. But yes, it is just as easy to grab a PC tower and drive it to a friend's broadband connection. I'd never personally leave a wireless point unsecured due to potential negative consequences (hacking or worse).I installed several key Firefox extensions last night. I did this only because I already knew that FF has been written in platform- independent code, and that this should be doable in Linux. And indeed, it seemed to go just perfectly well, with all extensions installing correctly, so far as I can tell. In terms of general downloading and installing into linux, I'm not even up to the training wheels level yet. Where to begin, where to begin... :thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet
FF extensions work just like in Windoze... just point the FF "extension manager" to the file in your desktop. And after having installed the extension you can move the .xpi file to trash.Editor or manager? Gnome's default file manager is called Nautilus, and you can open it - this is one method - by Places -> Home or Places -> Desktop.The default text editor is called "Gedit" (Apps -> Accessories -> Text Editor).(Note: there are numerous alternatives for both of them.) :hysterical:
OK- Opened Desktop- File Browser, and moved the little .xpi to the Trash, then emptied the Trash. I'll play with some dummy text file creation/moving/deletion to learn this skill. I need to start geting an understanding of how Linux file systems are structured. Then I can avoid messing with any parts of the OS I have no business being in. I'll just want to set up my own file system within Linux and mostly limit my file work to those safe areas.

Cluttermagnet
By the way, you can check out the "update payload" by opening the Update Manager and hitting "Reload". You'll see the # of updates and the total size. If you think it's too much, just hit "Cancel". No harm done. :hysterical:
I'm being offered 226 updates. Yikes! But is there a way to 'Uncheck All'? The 226 items are all checked. If I can uncheck, then I can choose certain items one at a time for download/install- such as Firefox 1.5.0.10... Edited by Cluttermagnet