Clutter Learns Linux

Cluttermagnet

V.T. Eric Layton
I've got to stop buying these cheap power supplies. <_>I couldn't agree with you more here. I spent 20+ years as a component level electronics repair technician in the RF communications (radio) and audio fields. Believe me when I tell you that the power supply is the HEART of any electronic device. Don't scrimp when it comes to the HEART. Be cheap in other areas, but go out and spend $150 on a really heavy-duty, high-wattage quality power supply. I recommend Antec. You can use this power supply for a long time. My current Antec has been in three systems since 2003... still chugging along. You get what you pay for in power supplies, Clutter. Those cheapy store brand ones are just that... cheapies.Luck!http://www.antec.com/us/ :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cluttermagnet

• Urmas

• Bruno

• V.T. Eric Layton

Cluttermagnet
Strange, usually that error only comes when you try umounting the drive.What you would like to see is the result of the command "mount" . . it will show what partitions are mounted . . . look if there is any /dev/hddIf no /dev/hdd partition is mounted try the eject on hdd ( not hdd4 ):
sudo eject -v /dev/hdd

( becasue /dev/hdd is the actual device, hdd4 is just the partition on hdd ):thumbsup: Bruno

I executed this command. It unmounted the drive, then it tried all 4 methods of ejecting, CD, floppy, SCSI, tape. Then it gave up and reported the same error
Eject: unable to eject; last error: invalid argument
Here's another part of the Terminal message:
eject: device name is /dev/hddeject: expanded name is /dev/hddeject: /dev/hdd is not mounted(actually the zip drive *was* mounted at the time)eject: /dev/hdd is not a mount pointeject: /dev/hdd is a multipartition device
I think there is something desperately wrong here. Anyway, on my other machine, I have hdb and hdb4 and it has behaved right and not given me this sort of trouble.Is there any possibility I somehow have a wounded OS? Could a reinstall of the OS clean this up?BTW how should I be checking to see what devices are mounted? Which software shows current status the best? Edited by Cluttermagnet

The question is: are both running the same kernel ?? . . It could be a kernel issue . . . ?:thumbsup: Bruno

Cluttermagnet
The question is: are both running the same kernel ?? . . It could be a kernel issue . . . ?:wub: Bruno
Yes, same kernel. That would have to be. Both OS installations came from one batch of 5 (3?) CD's received in the mail from Canonical. Because I'm on dialup, and have been pretty busy the past month, neither system has been updated online. They are both virtually out of box. Definitely has to be the same kernel. Damaged OS install maybe? Or perhaps there is something strange about the mobo in the Cluttermaster? Or perhaps it actually makes a difference (for some reason) running the zip drive on IDE1 instead of IDE0? Edited by Cluttermagnet

Yes, same kernel. That would have to be. Both OS installations came from one batch of 5 (3?) CD's received in the mail from Canonical.
So that idea is out of the question: it can not be the kernel. :wub:
Damaged OS install maybe?
Well it is not like it suddenly stopped working is it ?
Or perhaps there is something strange about the mobo in the Cluttermaster? Or perhaps it actually makes a difference (for some reason) running the zip drive on IDE1 instead of IDE0?
I can't imagine IDE1 or IDE0 would make a difference . . . . but as long as you are rebuilding the box you can just as well put it on IDE0 this time . . . . stranger things have happened.:wub: Bruno

Cluttermagnet
I can't imagine IDE1 or IDE0 would make a difference . . . . but as long as you are rebuilding the box you can just as well put it on IDE0 this time . . . . stranger things have happened.:( Bruno
Well, all I had to do was replace a bad power supply- but it's not too difficult to redo the IDE busses. I will try it on IDE0 and let you know. I'll rewrite the bash script, of course.I recall some devices are very particular about being master on the buss- CDRW's are known to sometimes be like that. The manufacturer will say that their drive must be master in the printed directions (or sometimes it is the CD burner software guys who say that). Who knows, perhaps? But on my 'good' system, I have a zip slaved to a hard drive on IDE0, and it works great. I must look and see how I have that zip drive jumpered: slave or C/S? Same for the hard drive- master or C/S?Thanks for all the help these past months. It has been fun learning on Ubuntu Dapper. I don't mind the occasional glitch. Besides, there are so many less headaches with Linux... :w00t: Edited by Cluttermagnet

V.T. Eric Layton

Zip designations:IDE0 Master --> hda4 with 3 and 64 as major/minor block numbersIDE0 Slave --> hdb4 with 3 and 64 as major/minor block numbersIDE1 Master --> hdc4 with 22 and 64 as major/minor block numbersIDE1 Slave --> hdd4 with 22 and 64 as major/minor block numbersDon't forget to change your fstab entry, too! :w00t:

Besides, there are so many less headaches with Linux... :w00t:
True . . . see it this way: if the ejecting of the zip is the only bump in the road you can call that road smooth as silk :DB) Bruno

Cluttermagnet

The Zip 250 drive is mounted as slave to the hard drive on IDE0. HD is jumpered C/S. Zip is jumpered slave (I think). The IDE cable had to be twisted around just awfully to get it to plug in, because the zip drive is physically above the hard drive.Removed the old bash script and replaced with a new one for hdb4 (3, 64). The script is active. fstab has been edited from hdd4 to hdb4. A couple of reboots along the way.Zip disk inserted in drive. Click panel aplet to mount...

Unable to mount the selected volume. The volume is probably in a format that cannot be mounted.Mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb4, missing codepage, or other error.In some cases useful info found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so
:(Edit: I tried a couple more jumper settings on both HD and zip drive. HD was C/S, now is Master. Zip was (I thought) Slave. But there are two different jumpering charts on the paper label on top of the Iomega zip drive- 6 possible settings. Adding a center jumper, the alternative setting for Slave, did the trick.The drive mounts, the drive ejects, the drive mounts, etc. :D ;) :happyroll:So it looks like the whole problem was wrong jumpering on the zip drive. I've never understood why the two jumper charts on these drives. Perhaps someone knows?Now I'm going to completely redo it- again! I want to set it back up slaved to the CD/DVD drive in IDE1. :thumbsup: :lol: Edited by Cluttermagnet

Yes! :D :thumbsup: ;) If that &%¤%& zip drive gives any more trouble... there already is (at the very least) one master's thesis' worth of troubleshooting done by you and Eric... HEY:Vtel&Clutter: The Tao of Zip Drives. A blockbuster if there ever was one! :lol:

Cluttermagnet

Aw, man! Is that ever a relief! :D It's properly set up on IDE1 now, slaved to the CD/DVD burner. I'll probably add a 2nd hard drive on IDE0 at some point- for storage, backup, etc. Well, I wasn't going to give up on this problem anyway. I was having way too much fun for a while, however. :lol:

V.T. Eric Layton

I prefer Eric and Clutter's Zen and the Art of the Zip Drive in GNU/Linux - The path to Nirvana. HA! :lol:

The drive mounts, the drive ejects, the drive mounts, etc. :D :thumbsup: :lol:
Does that really mean the problem is solved Clutter ?? Are you serious, no more fun with tinkering your Zip, no more custom scripts and error messages ? :( . . . . Man, will we get bored ! :PCongrats my friend !;) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, no. You won't be bored. I've got lots of Vector and Zenwalk questions coming at you. :lol:

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, guys! :lol: Well, I guess I could ask another question now. The other night, I made my first attempt at drive imaging Ubuntu Linux on both machines. The image on the Cluttermaster 2007 is now obsolete, since I made it before I solved the zip drive mounting problems. I'll make another image of that one.So here's my question(s): I used BootitNG for this purpose, and I imaged (for now) only my root directories on both machines. Does one usually image both the root and home directories when backing up their Linux distros? Or is the root directory more prone to screwing up if you are playing around with the OS? Has anyone here had any direct experience with Bing for imaging Linux distros? I know you guys also use other utilities for this purpose.In windows, by using a small accessory software with Bing called TBI viewer, you can open an image and extract files from it, providing confirmation that it was a good image. I'd appreciate hearing the experience of others about imaging, practices, procedures, and software preferences. But I'm particularly interested in any remarks about Bing and Linux imaging.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Sorry Clutter . . . not using any imaging software myself. I just make backups and in case of a real "accident" I just do a clean install of the distro and restore the backups.:lol: Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton
Sorry Clutter . . . not using any imaging software myself. I just make backups and in case of a real "accident" I just do a clean install of the distro and restore the backups.B) Bruno
Same for me, Clutter.Talk with Frank Golden. He has experience with imaging software.

What I've done before is imaged using partimage, which, if not already installed, should be listed in Synaptic. I think it is also on Knoppix, if that works on your system. I would recommend running a liveCD, and imaging one partition into a file another another with the LiveCD, since none of the files on the installed partition will be in use. I do not know if that is usually a problem or not.Adam

Cluttermagnet

Another question: as a productivity enhancement tool, I use a clipboard manager called Yankee Clipper III (in Windows). It allows you to store up to 200 or so 'saves' to the clipboard in a single list, and retrieve any of the items almost instantly. Is there an equivalent piece of software for Linux? How about one that is OK for Debian/Ubuntu? Anything already in the repositories? Or downloadable elsewhere? Or already a part of Ubuntu and I just don't know it is there?

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Well... there is Glipper in the repos... but I prefer this little gem made by one of the regulars at the Finnish Ubuntu Forums:gClip :thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet
I use Glipper in Gnome and Klipper in KDE. They work fine. :thumbsup:
I beat my brains out trying to get glipper. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. I think I have all my repositories updated- but apt-get and Synaptic both say I don't 'have it'. Need a little help again, it looks like. What am I doing wrong/overlooking?

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm sure it's already installed, Clutter. It was on my Ubuntu Dapper, I think. I don't remember installing it, but that was a long time ago. Try:

$ whereis glipper

It'll probably tell you something like "/usr/bin/glipper". If it shows that glipper is somewhere on the system, just:

$ glipper

to get it started. If it's not in your menu, use Alacarte menu editor to add it. If, by some chance it's not installed on your system, just grab it from sourceforge...http://glipper.sourceforge.net/Luck!

Cluttermagnet

Uhhh-"whereis glipper" in Terminal returns nothing...How exactly does one 'grab it' from a non-repository source?

V.T. Eric Layton

Uh... well, there's not any easy way because there are dependent files that need to be installed first. The info is on the download page of that link above. I'm 99.9% sure that glipper is in the repos. That's strange that you can't find it. Stand by for some advice from Urmas. He's more active in Ubuntu than I have been lately. He might be able to tell you where to find it. :thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, Eric-I'll continue to fight with Synaptic because I'm getting conflicting reads as to whether or not I'm current- but I think I am.Oh, glipper is definitely in the repos, says so right here.But wait a minute- it says it's for Feisty. Will it work in Dapper? And No, I'm definitely not updated, as that is a big fat download and I'm on dialup. Neither of my copies of Dapper have ever been updated online. They're both stock/ out of box. Only my repos are updated, not the OS itself.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
Yuppers! That's it! Do you have Universe enabled?
I believe so......but please see my last post, last page- I have editied it some...I may or may not be 'updated', depends on which 'updated' we're talking about... Edited by Cluttermagnet