Clutter Learns Linux

Cluttermagnet

Nice find, Adam. Yes, it was my cable modem I was testing. BTW my friend was actually able to find the manual for the modem (DCM315R). I concluded my modem must be working because I did indeed see the same pattern of Flashing LED's. At the end, the handshake failed, however, and I attributed that to the diferent MAC number of my modem. As to what was rejecting it, upstream or downstream, I don't exactly know. In any case, I didn't want to mess with any settings because this was 'only a test'. I'm pretty much satisfied my DCM315 is working. I'll leave it at that. Besides, I've temporarily misplaced the manual on the Gateway router, and need to find that again. It has pretty good instructions on how to set different parameters on the router.
The MAC address of the modem is being used for authentication. Basically, the distant end servers at the cable company are rejecting it and not allowing it online.
BTW you mentioned "DOCSIS 2.0" for my router purchase. The box the modem came in says the DCM315R is "DOCSIS 2.0 Ready". From reading on the net, my non-R suffix model is apparently DOCSIS 1.1 (1.2?) compliant, whatever the implications of that are. Hopefully it is going to work fine. I do know that it was formerly on the Comcast network until about 2-3 years ago, when it remained with a house that was sold to friends of mine. They gave me the modem.
Well, I know for a fact that any modem on Cox Cable's network must be DOCSIS 2.0. I do not know about Comcast. I would call their help line and ask if a DOCSIS 1.1 modem will still work. If so, you should be fine. I'm not holding my breath though. Since the cable providers shifted to 2.0, the modulation scheme has changed (I think to QAM 128), and the old modems will no longer work. I'm not very clear on what the flashing lights mean. It is not very specific in the description in the linked PDF. How many flashing lights did you get when you hooked it up? On Motorola Modems, you have three lights that tell status- Send Receive, and Online. Send and Receive each indicate that the modem sees each particular stream, and has synchronized to each. The online light means that the modem is authenticated and is fully online. It's a good troubleshooting tool.Adam

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cluttermagnet

• Urmas

• Bruno

• V.T. Eric Layton

Cluttermagnet
The MAC address of the modem is being used for authentication. Basically, the distant end servers at the cable company are rejecting it and not allowing it online.Well, I know for a fact that any modem on Cox Cable's network must be DOCSIS 2.0. I do not know about Comcast. I would call their help line and ask if a DOCSIS 1.1 modem will still work. If so, you should be fine. I'm not holding my breath though. Since the cable providers shifted to 2.0, the modulation scheme has changed (I think to QAM 128), and the old modems will no longer work.
I'll research it some more and then call them. Anyway, my friend's DCM315R retail box says it's 'DOCSIS 2.0 Ready'. It works on Comcast. FWIW cable modems are cheap and plentiful on Ebay.
Comcast does not even offer cable services in the state of Nevada, besides this the entire Comcast network is only currently a docsis 1.1 network.
Comcast DOCSIS 3.0 Demo FUD? (Scroll about 40 percent down the page for this quote)
I'm not very clear on what the flashing lights mean. It is not very specific in the description in the linked PDF. How many flashing lights did you get when you hooked it up?
The RCA modems have more informative LED's. First the Internet one flashes a while, then the PC Link one flashes (now 2 flashing), then Cable Link flashes (total 3 flashing), then Cable Activity joins in (total 4 flashing). After the handshake completes, all 4 LED's are lit, and the 2nd and 4th LED's from the right continue flashing- PC Link and Cable Activity. When I tested my modem, it went through the 1-2-3-4 flashing routine, but then aborted, leaving only one LED lit. I forget which, one of the 2 middle ones. I'm betting I have a fully functional modem, but of course it could be obsolete hardware, nonetheless (but apparently is not).
On Motorola Modems, you have three lights that tell status- Send Receive, and Online. Send and Receive each indicate that the modem sees each particular stream, and has synchronized to each. The online light means that the modem is authenticated and is fully online. It's a good troubleshooting tool.Adam
Edited by Cluttermagnet

I have a Motorola surfboard modem (Comcast is my ISP). When I power it down, and then plug it back in, first the power light is green, next the receive light is green, next the send light turns green, lastly the online light turns green. I do not power up my router, until all 4 lights turn solid green. There are also two other indicators. The PCActivity light will be blinking amber. This is normal. If I press the button on the top, then the bottom light, Standby will come on. I never use standby so I'm not sure what color the light will be.

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, Adam-That was a pretty good deal for a router. If they only answered their phones instead of hiding behind an answering machine (during business hours). Probably OK until something goes wrong with a product, then they may make you miserable.OK guys, my dumb question for the day-Is a 'network switch' functionally a hardware firewall in the same sense that a wireless router is? Switches are much more transparent, i.e. plug in and forget. No Browser setup windows, etc. What about this goodie? NETGEAR FS605 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch 5 x RJ45 Not bad at 14 dollars after rebate. But does it add security as a router does? :D

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Is a 'network switch' functionally a hardware firewall in the same sense that a wireless router is? Switches are much more transparent, i.e. plug in and forget. No Browser setup windows, etc. What about this goodie? NETGEAR FS605 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch 5 x RJ45 Not bad at 14 dollars after rebate. But does it add security as a router does? :D
Router, router, router... router:What is the difference between a router and hub or switch?
Routers for home networks (often called broadband routers) also can join multiple networks. These routers are designed specifically to join the home (LAN) to the Internet (WAN) for the purpose of Internet connection sharing. In contrast, neither hubs nor switches are capable of joining multiple networks or sharing an Internet connection. A home network with only hubs and switches must designate one computer as the gateway to the Internet, and that device must possess two network adapters for sharing, one for the home LAN and one for the Internet WAN. With a router, all home computers connect to the router equally, and it performs the equivalent gateway functions. Additionally, broadband routers contain several features beyond those of traditional routers. Broadband routers provide DHCP server and proxy support, for example. Most of these routers also offer integrated firewalls. Finally, wired Ethernet broadband routers typically incorporate a built-in Ethernet switch. These routers allow several hubs or switches to be connected to them, as a means to expand the local network to accomodate more Ethernet devices.
If you go to the (Netgear switch) product page ( http://www.netgear.com/Products/Switches/D...ches/FS605.aspx ), you'll see the point:enusdiagrambackdiagramfvj2.gif Edited by Urmas

I fully understand your question Clutter, but I wouldn't nibble on a couple of dollars in this case, because your whole set up stand or falls with the first line of defense, your router. Just get your self a good one, a switch - like Urmas reply explained - is out of the question. It just misses some basic security which a router has build in by default. ;)

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, guys-That's about what I figured. So the switch I mentioned is essentially an Ethernet version of a USB hub, and nothing much more. I may need one later, but obviously I need to stay focused on wireless routers and get a good one. Then I can disable wireless for starters, maybe later re-enable it and work on locking down any wireless I allow. ;)

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

I found a D-Link DI-624 online for 30 dollars, shipped, from 3btech.net. A 'recertified' unit, no retail package or software CD. I can provide a power supply if needed, I have literally hundreds. Web browser setup. I should have it within a week. A little older model now, but was well reviewed in recent years. I'm getting the smaller, later model. It does WPA.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

My Jim says sorry to hear that you got a DI-624 .. there is a reason it's the cheapest thing out there. Jim says you got what you paid for. ;)The NAT function works fine (which is what you want anyway) ... however, the wireless can be problematic. Maybe by the time you setup wireless you can get a Linksys. :lol:Regarding switches ... hubs and switches are just a way to connection computers together. Switches give each computer a 'dedicated pipe' meaning no one can sniff traffic of the other computers on the LAN, whereas HUBs just provide a connection, are out there and traffic can be sniffed on the LAN. Switches are pretty cool!

But does it add security as a router does? ;)
No. A switch will let you connect multiple PCs to the cable modem, but then you would have to get multiple IP addresses from the cable company. It is much easier (and cheaper) in the long run to get a router.Adam

Guest LilBambi

Absolutely, no security in HUBs and Switches, just a connection.Security comes with routers that have NAT and/or with a true Firewall/router.

I have a switch connected to a router. A switch is what you'll use when you discover that the four ports on the router just aren't enough for all your computers. ;)

I have a switch connected to a router. A switch is what you'll use when you discover that the four ports on the router just aren't enough for all your computers. ;)
:rant: How true Liz! We have an 8 port switch on our inside net and it's still not enough! :hysterical:
There you have the real addicts . . . LOL . . . . Myself I have a 4 port router and a switch with 8 ports too . . . . . :hysterical: . . . . when I get to the point of 9 [*] connected computers I will have to start looking for a lager switch :D B) Bruno[*] 9 + 1 for visitors + 1 extension to the garden = 11 total ;)

Cluttermagnet
My Jim says sorry to hear that you got a DI-624 .. there is a reason it's the cheapest thing out there. Jim says you got what you paid for. ;)
Now you tell me. :hysterical: Yeah, I'd read some bad press about DI-624's getting hacked, or something to that extent. But again, wireless? I'd prefer not to get addicted to wireless in the first place. Wired Ethernet is so much safer...
The NAT function works fine (which is what you want anyway) ... however, the wireless can be problematic. Maybe by the time you setup wireless you can get a Linksys.
If it functions as a wired NAT router, that will be 'OK'. I came within inches of buying the refurb Linksys Adam recommended, but that company doesn't answer their phone. Too bad for all concerned. Maybe I'll still buy a switch (in addition to the router), they are dirt cheap. Found a good sale going on right now- Netgear FS605 and 608 for 14 or 22 dollars after rebate. But after 11 years on dialup, it will be a pretty slow conversion to Ethernet. Not all of my machines have an RJ-45 jack or add on card. And I'll keep the modem option always alive. For 5 bucks a month for a good ISP, that's still a keeper.There is a good chance I'll return to dialup after the 1 year trial, '33USD/mo', albeit painfully- because there is no way I'm going to shell out the kind of money those jokers get for it in my Monopoly area. My bottom line is around 30-35 dollars per month for a lower tier broadband pipe. That really ought to buy cable internet IMO. DSL is the only way to meet that currently, in my overpriced area of constant ripoffs. I'm too far from the central ofice, no DSL possibilities here presently. In 3-5 years I can try out FIOS, once they get around to wiring my neighborhood with fiber. Edited by Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

Well, if you do go back to dialup after broadband, might be worth looking into MONO and Smoothwall as a dialup server.That way you can be on any computer and share your dialup connection.It's better than having ONLY a modem to connect to EACH computer for dialup.But it would be EXTREMELY painful to go back after having broadband for a year. It can be done, but you aren't going to like it LOL!** I speak from experience.

Yeah, I will have to speak from experience too. After being on cable internet or the equivalent over the past three years, dialup (or cellular GPRS, which may as well be dialup) really, really stinks.Broadband is to Linux as Ketchup is to Frenc Fries. :PAdam

Cluttermagnet
Well, if you do go back to dialup after broadband, might be worth looking into MONO and Smoothwall as a dialup server.That way you can be on any computer and share your dialup connection.It's better than having ONLY a modem to connect to EACH computer for dialup.But it would be EXTREMELY painful to go back after having broadband for a year. It can be done, but you aren't going to like it LOL!** I speak from experience.
Hi Fran-I was somewhat familiar with Smoothwall. I downloaded and read the quick start manual to refresh my memory. I have an old, slow Pentium PC which ought to work fine for this purpose. Something like a 266MHz, I think. Maybe I'll grab a copy of Smoothwall and play with it some. Yep, I understand the psychology of downgrading from cable. No, it won't be easy. But neither is getting ripped off by monopoly pricing.What is MONO?

Guest LilBambi

oops, sorry, I should have given the links for what I was talking about, and I would have remembered that the full name was m0n0wall not just mono (which is what I generally call it) when referring to smooth and mono firewalls which are actually smoothwall and monowall. LOL!m0n0wall

m0n0wall is a project aimed at creating a complete, embedded firewall software package that, when used together with an embedded PC, provides all the important features of commercial firewall boxes (including ease of use) at a fraction of the price (free software).m0n0wall is based on a bare-bones version of FreeBSD, along with a web server, PHP and a few other utilities. The entire system configuration is stored in one single XML text file to keep things transparent.m0n0wall is probably the first UNIX system that has its boot-time configuration done with PHP, rather than the usual shell scripts, and that has the entire system configuration stored in XML format.
SmoothWall
SmoothWall Express is an open source firewall distribution based on the GNU/Linux operating system. Linux is the ideal choice for security systems; it is well proven, secure, highly configurable and freely††† available as open source code. SmoothWall includes a hardened subset of the GNU/Linux operating system, so there is no separate OS to install. Designed for ease of use, SmoothWall is configured via a web-based GUI, and requires absolutely no knowledge of Linux to install or use.
These are great things to take tiny computers that are not worth using as a desktop any longer because too slow, etc.:thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, Fran-I downloaded two different versions of SmoothWall. When I have some time for it, I will play with this neat package on dialup. I'm keeping one of my dialup ISP's.First priority is to get cable internet going next week after the Comcast installation, then become more experienced with Ethernet connections using Linux. Then I can start playing with my Ethernet capable Linux boxes and SmoothWall. :thumbsup:BTW I'm getting some unexpected experience with my friend's cable setup. Some problems over there with a flaky internet connection. Comcast came and looked at signal levels at various outlets in the house, at my suggestion. Sure enough, there are some bad (lossy) runs of old RG-59 coax in the walls. We bought a 1000 ft roll of quad-shielded RG-6 on Ebay. I pulled a cable inside a wall this week, and will be completely redoing the house internal cabling. Should be done early this coming week, all the way outside to where the underground cable comes above ground next to the house foundation. Then we'll know whether or not it is a cable problem. :'(

Cluttermagnet
Clutter- I did the same thing last year. B)http://www.cowsmilk.net/index.php?module=a...le&view=224Adam
Wow! You are really wired up good at your house! That was fun to look over your shoulders at the installation. Thanks, Ross.Well, the one I'm working on is simple- a 5-bedroom colonial style house about 20 years old. The basement is unfinished- easy access. I did run into the problem of misaligned upstairs and downstairs walls, but it was pretty easy to fish the cable by sawing one more hole up near the ceiling. All I'm pulling is a single RG-6, no LAN cables for now. Later we might run one or two through the attic to other rooms. I'll post a picture of my 'holes in the wall' later. My friend was worried that the cat might get into the wall; I wasn't, I had the holes closed back up within minutes.Meanwhile, my Comcast installer is due at my house in about 7 hours. Hope he shows up. :P Edited by Cluttermagnet

Meanwhile, my Comcast installer is due at my house in about 7 hours. Hope he shows up. ;)
7 hours ? . . . Well he must be finished connecting you by now . . . Clutter, where are you ?;) Bruno

Cluttermagnet

A long and busy day here. My work is interfering with my computer hobby. :lol: I just finished Phase 1 of recabling my friend's house. Looks to be a success. Internet has been moved into another room, and hopefully, the erratic cable connection will be a thing of the past. We'll know for sure in a day or two. I'm betting it was just a bad cable hookup in the house. Phase 2 will be to replace the rest of the old cables for the TV portion of the system.Regarding my own Comcast hookup, it was a missed appointment on Monday. There was a screwup by the order taker when I ordered service a couple of weeks ago. OTOH I got very good phone service earlier today, and they set a new appointment for hookup only 2 days from now. So cable internet for me should start Wednesday, hopefully.