Clutter Learns Linux

Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

I killed my session of Terminal and the gClip icon disappeared. So I rebooted and it did autostart with Dapper. :thumbsup:I'm playing with gClip now and it's fairly intuitive so far. I don't know what capacity it has for each item, or what file types can be saved in the clipboard. So far I see it can save multiple lines of text like a letter or an article as a single item. Good. I'll keep trying stuff...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cluttermagnet

• Urmas

• Bruno

• V.T. Eric Layton

I wish you could edit in the Terminal window.
That's what the arrow buttons are there for... :P
I select my distro and hit the button, it throws me back to this page.
Try this, then: http://www.getdeb.net/browse.php
This is Russian? German, maybe?
"Bit of both"... Yiddish... seems to be the preferred "German based Distro" on the New Continent. :D
So I rebooted and it did autostart with Dapper.
:hysterical: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good to hear it's working for you... it's a "hobby project" of one of the mods at the Finnish Ubuntu Forums. :)

Cluttermagnet
OK, that works for me on my other Linux box (Cluttermaster). I'll look it over later.Right now I have my main computer setup all torn up. I built an elevated shelf for 2 monitors and 4 towers that has some space underneath to shove the keyboards and mice, etc. So now I'm going back to work on setting all that up again.

Cluttermagnet

In a marathon effort, ClutterLabs HQ got upgraded with a new desk 'riser' (shelves). The whole 'beige monolith' setup got torn out and rewired again. All 4 towers and 2 monitors have now been tested. Everything seems to work. I think I'm going to put a Linux distro to dual boot on all my other beige towers now. Presently, only 1 out of 4 has a Linux OS on it, my original install. There is also the Cluttermaster 2007, my faster computer in a black tower. That's on a different desk with its own monitor. For distros, I'm thinking of Ubuntu Feisty or Edgy, PClos, and Linux Mint 3.0. (Both existing Linux OS's are Ubuntu Dapper 6.06). In time, I will try them all...

Edited by Cluttermagnet

I'm thinking of Ubuntu Feisty or Edgy, PClos, and Linux Mint 3.0. (Both existing Linux OS's are Ubuntu Dapper 6.06). In time, I will try them all...
Sounds like a good plan Clutter !! B) :teehee: Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

ClutterLabs® EXTREME Computing!Give Mint a try, Clutter. You'll kill two birds with one stone that way. Mint is Ubuntu Feisty, but with all the non-free apps installed already... Java, Flash, m32codecs (Disclaimer: Not for use in the U.S.), etc. Have FUN! B)

Cluttermagnet
Give Mint a try, Clutter. You'll kill two birds with one stone that way. Mint is Ubuntu Feisty, but with all the non-free apps installed already...
Yep-Well, when I finally got serious about learning Linux this past winter 06/07, I had heard about Linux Mint and had it in mind. In fact, the first distro I personally downloaded using my friend's broadband connection was Linux Mint 2.0. I also have 2.1 and now 3.0 here. I was definitely impressed at some of the things 3.0 was doing for me in a live CD session recently- for example, finding and mounting zip drives automagically, no scripts needed. B) So that distro is probably the next one I'll try installing.It looks like dual booting is relatively uncomplicated, and that adding a 2nd and 3rd Linux distro to 'multiboot' is where the problems of dueling bootloaders, changing MBR's, etc. all start. Is that true? Will I be relatively 'safe' if my computers are only dual booting 98SE and some Linux flavor (for now)? I'll get into the true 'multibooting' later.Oh, BTW- I don't remember for sure, but I think the Cluttermaster doesn't even have Windows on it, only Ubuntu Dapper. :teehee: Edited by Cluttermagnet

Multibooting is not really that hard. You can use a simple technique called chainloading to simplyfy your life, although it may seem more complicated in the beginning.First, you install the bootloader of the new distro you are installing onto the boot sector of that root partition, not to the MBR, since you already have a bootloader there.Secondly, you create a small chainload entry in your main bootloader that points to the boot sector of the new distro.When you boot the computer, the BIOS will load the bootloader on the MBR, and when you select your new distro's entry, the MBR bootloader will then run the boot loader on the boot sector of the new distro.The main benefit to this is that if you create a standard LILO or GRUB entry, and the distro gets a new kernel update or something like that, you may end up with a new bootloader on the MBR, or with an unbootable distro (in extraordinary cases).SuSE was bad about this. For a long time, Bruno has helped people get their LILO entries all setup and good to go. Then SuSE would come out with a new update thatr would then overwrite the MBR with a new, updated copy of the bootloader. Then some people would spend a lot of time fixing their LILO installations.Since you are running Ubuntu, you are using GRUB. Once you understand the hard drive partition numbering scheme, it is pretty easy to adapt it for boot ing new distros. I don't have my notes here, but you may have seen these entries.I hope at least some of this made sense.Adam

Since you are running Ubuntu, you are using GRUB. Once you understand the hard drive partition numbering scheme, it is pretty easy to adapt it for boot ing new distros. I don't have my notes here, but you may have seen these entries.
There is a new Tip posted recently about chainloading in a multiboot Grub configuration: Multiboot Grub it has a few examples of the entries you add to the /boot/grub/menu.list in order to have the additional distros show up in your boot-menu ;)B) Bruno

Cluttermagnet

Clutter has installed Linux now on a 3rd machine. The distro is Linux Mint 3.0. The platform is an Asrock P4V88+, Celeron "D" 2.4GHz (256K cache), 512M RAM, 30G HD, external modem. I set it up with separate partitions for root, ~10G, home, ~10G, swap, ~1G.The installation went well, and was very similar to Ubuntu Dapper (surprise!) :thumbsup: My first positive impression- the OS easily mounts my zip100 drive and disk and ejects/unmounts it. I also saw this during a live CD session.First negative impressions: Although I was easily able to set up the modem in Networking, I can't for the life of me figure out how to (in a GUI way) launch the modem online. This is pretty easy in Dapper, finding an icon for the modem from a list of them in the panel. So I can't figure out how to take it online. I have no idea how I'd launch it using a command line. I'll dig around in the Help files a bit...Second negative- for some reason, the Device manager will not work. This is true both in live CD session and after install. It appears to attempt to launch, then it just disappears. Poof! I'm going to need a little hand holding at first. The desktop and everything are soooo different from Dapper. At least the core OS is the same. I'll get things figured out, with help... :lol:Edit: OK, I found how to get the icons, turns out everything launches from the bottom panel (tray?). I have disk mount icons and a modem icon now, volume control, etc. But a problem with the modem icon- right clicking on it does not give me the Activate and Deactivate options. Both are greyed out. :thumbsup: I'm still not able to get online with this distro.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

V.T. Eric Layton

Uh... if I remember correctly, my Device Mgr didn't work in Mint either. Probably some bug or another. :thumbsup:

Cluttermagnet

Has anyone had any experience running Linux Mint 3 on dialup? Looking for some very basic help. I'm sure my problem there is something simple, but I can't get online. Right now, this distro is very low on the useability scale for me. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't know a thing about dial-up and Linux, Clutter. I'm sure Bruno will pop in here with a suggestion or two soon. If not, Mint has a very friendly and helpful support forum. Do a quick search there and see if any hints pop up. ATL is wonderful, but it's not the only source of GNU/Linux info out there.Here's the link for the Mint forums:http://linuxmint.com/forum/Luck! :)P.S. Don't give up so easily. That's not like you. Mint is a nice distro.

Weren't there special dial-up commands in Ubuntu ? . . I think Urmas knows the answer to this. ( was it pon and poff ?? )sudo pppconfigsudo pon provider_namesudo poffB) Bruno

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, guys-Well, I'm in my busy season with work, and don't have a lot of time to fight a balky distro. I'm putting off my Linux Mint education for later when I have more time to concentrate on it. I can tell you that Mint has a different enough setup that it was a lot more difficult to find things and do things compared to Ubuntu. Yes, I know about the excellent Mint forums, Eric, and have been through there in the past. I found that group very friendly and helpful. I'll return to that distro in time. I do believe they have a great idea, and have made wonderful progress. I'm not giving up, it's more of a tactical retreat. I'll revisit Mint later.I found it expedient to install a copy of Ubuntu Feisty over top of Mint. Despite a few changes since Dapper, I find I can get around and get things done much more easily in Feisty. This is the first time I have installed it, BTW. I already have much of it set up, including dialup networking and fully updated repositories, and a bunch more. I think Ubuntu will continue to be a good platform for me in my early days of learning to run Linux distros.BTW I know from past experience that Feisty has more new drivers, and can recognize my NetGear USB wi-fi dongle. Dapper could not. Also, I see that Feisty has native ability to mount zip drives. No need for any scripts to do the job now. But learning how to do it with bash scripts was priceless- a great early introduction to some of the more geeky things about Linux that appeal to me. I'll continue to learn command line approaches to getting things done (for myself), plus their GUI equivalents so I can get my friends to try linux- and succeed!

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
That "install mantra" you did...
sudo apt-get install libgtk2-perl libgtk2-trayicon-perlwget -O ~/gclip.txt http://gclip.atspace.org/sec/gclip.txtsudo cp -i ~/gclip.txt /usr/bin/gclipsudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/gclipgclip &

The last line opens gClip... and I assume the tray icon appeared. But whenever you open a program "from" Terminal... the program will close the second you close the Terminal.The quickest way to make the Start Menu Entry (under Accessories)... in Terminal:

wget -O ~/gclip.desktop http://gclip.atspace.org/sec/gclip.desktopsudo cp -i ~/gclip.desktop /usr/share/applications/gclip.desktop

That's all, folks!Preferences... when gClip is running, you'll see the tray icon... right click, choose "Preferences". :blink: ... restart X, or reboot... try again... weird.EDIT: If it keeps crashing... open it with command "gclip &". If that works better for you, we'll adapt the start menu entry accordingly (although, in Preferences, there is an autostart option).

Hi, Urmas-I went through this install with my new copy of Ubuntu Feisty. Everything seemed to go OK, but when I type the last line "gclip &", I get an error message "bash: gclip: command not found"Any ideas? I never saw the icon in the panel. I am able to see the file "gclip.txt" in /usr/bin/gclip. Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
Hi, Bruno-I tried the bash script method. BTW just entering the command in Terminal did indeed disable the Caps Lock key. Everything seemed to go fine with the bash script:
sudo mkdir /usr/share/gnome/autostartsudo gedit /usr/share/gnome/autostart/nocapslock(in gEdit:)#!/bin/bashxmodmap -e "remove Lock = Caps_Lock"#End script

I looked and the script "nocapslock" is there. But then when I did

sudo chmod 755 nocapslock

I get "no such file or directory" Have I missed anything obvious? :blink:

Hi, Bruno-I'm having this identical problem on my Ubuntu Feisty machine. It doesn't work with Dapper either. I'm still getting
no such file or directory
Any ideas?

Hi, Urmas-I went through this install with my new copy of Ubuntu Feisty. Everything seemed to go OK, but when I type the last line "gclip &", I get an error message "bash: gclip: command not found"Any ideas? I never saw the icon in the panel. I am able to see the file "gclip.txt" in /usr/bin/gclip.
:blink: ... try without "&", see if anything happens. If not, repeat the "haiku", one line at a time. Funny, though... I just installed this to (Feisty based) Mint "Cassandra":
urmas@virtualcassandra:~$ sudo apt-get install libgtk2-perl libgtk2-trayicon-perlPassword:Luetaan pakettiluetteloita... ValmisMuodostetaan riippuvuussuhteiden puu	   Luetaan tilatietoja... Valmis	   libgtk2-perl on jo uusin versio.Seuraavat paketit asennettiin aiemmin automaattisesti, mutta niitä ei enää tarvita:  libdc1394-13 linux-headers-2.6.20-15-generic libdvbpsi4 libxosd2 libvlc0  libdvdnav4 libiso9660-4 linux-headers-2.6.20-15 libtar libvcdinfo0  libsdl-image1.2Käytä komentoa 'apt-get autoremove' poistaaksesi ne.Seuraavat UUDET paketit asennetaan:  libgtk2-trayicon-perl0 päivitetty, 1 uutta asennusta, 0 poistettavaa ja 9 päivittämätöntä.Noudettavaa arkistoa 17,6kt.Purkamisen jälkeen käytetään 135kt lisää levytilaa.Nouda:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com feisty/universe libgtk2-trayicon-perl 0.04-1 [17,6kB]Noudettiin 17,6kt ajassa 0s (49,4kt/s)	   Valitsen aikaisemmin valitsemattoman paketin libgtk2-trayicon-perl.(Reading database ... 114734 files and directories currently installed.)Unpacking libgtk2-trayicon-perl (from .../libgtk2-trayicon-perl_0.04-1_i386.deb) ...Säädän asetukset: libgtk2-trayicon-perl (0.04-1) ...urmas@virtualcassandra:~$ wget -O ~/gclip.txt http://gclip.atspace.org/sec/gclip.txt--11:40:31--  http://gclip.atspace.org/sec/gclip.txt		   => `/home/urmas/gclip.txt'Selvitetään osoitetta gclip.atspace.org... 82.197.131.106Yhdistetään palvelimeen gclip.atspace.org|82.197.131.106|:80... yhdistetty.HTTP-pyyntö lähetetty, odotetaan vastausta... 200 OKPituus: 39 897 (39K) [text/plain]100%[====================================>] 39 897	  126.32K/s			  11:40:32 (125.99 KB/s) - "/home/urmas/gclip.txt" tallennettu [39897/39897]urmas@virtualcassandra:~$ sudo cp -i ~/gclip.txt /usr/bin/gclipurmas@virtualcassandra:~$ sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/gclipurmas@virtualcassandra:~$ gclip &[1] 13424urmas@virtualcassandra:~$ lang.lng: not in usegcliprc: OKgclip-gtkrc: not in use

My Terminal speaks (mostly) Finnish... sorry... BUT: it works. gClip icon appears... all systems green. :hmm:

Cluttermagnet
:blink: ... try without "&", see if anything happens. If not, repeat the "haiku", one line at a time. Funny, though... I just installed this to (Feisty based) Mint "Cassandra":My Terminal speaks (mostly) Finnish... sorry... BUT: it works. gClip icon appears... all systems green. :hmm:
It's still "command not found" without the ampersand. I'll try one more thing before giving up for this morning- just a reboot. Who knows? ;)

Cluttermagnet

Well, I've got dialup trouble here. Dialup networking is getting worse in this Feisty installation. It now dials out on its own towards the end of bootup, prior to the logon windows. The options Activate and Deactivate have always been greyed out in the drop down menu under the modem icon. I never saw that in Dapper. It has reset itself from tone dialing to pulse dialing without my ever telling it to- repeatedly. It has at times even spontaneously stopped dialing out halfway through the number during a tone dial, never finishing.Rebooting doesn't seem to help. Obviously, 'something' is controlling things, but sometimes it's not me. This reminds me of wired broadband behavior, BTW, but is not what I'd want to see for dialup. I don't want it to dial out on boot. I want to tell it when to do that. I did disable ethernet networking in the panel icon. That seemed to help. I'll see what effect that has upon rebooting.This is simply not as good as Dapper, which is pretty well-behaved once you have your external modem set up. It seems Feisty is a step back for dialup networking. This OS behaved normally at first, then seems to have reoptioned networking on its own without any action on my part. I don't feel like I am actually in control at times. I sometimes can't even figure out how to regain control. Dialup has been 'acceptable' in Dapper, though nowhere as good as in Win98SE. I know, KDE, KDE... Maybe I'll try Kubuntu soon. I have some CDs on order for the latest one.It's discouraging that sometimes scripts don't work and commands don't work, yet they should (as I see it). I'm pretty careful with syntax. At times, I see OS behaviors that just don't make sense. I know I'm on the bad end of the learning curve, but lessons learned sometimes don't seem to work consistently when applied in other settings or simply when repeated. My Linux OS's are not yet predictable in their behavior, as I experience them. Oh, not that Windows always was, either- it can be a little quirky, too, at times. Until you learned its little oddities, it could be very annoying. But at least I know how to set up and run a dialup modem in 98SE, and the little panel applets and icons they have in that OS are really quite good and informative. In Ubuntu, I still feel like I'm partly flying blind. I don't know whats going on with the modem- connect status, data rates, connect time, amount of data sent/received, etc. Heck, I have to try reloading a web page to know whether or not I'm online with this OS, since there is no clue given about modem status in the panel aplet.

D'oh... you're running "Feisty" now... "Glipper" should be in repos... so, if gClip won't behave... :hmm:
D'oh!Homer Simpson slaps himself hard in the forehead...Yes, I remembered that one, plus DDM, from our past discussion. I'll try glipper, of course, if I can't persuade gclip to work.BBL...I'm going to pull the phone cord out of the jack now. I'm connected online and that's the only sure way I know to guarantee it goes offline... :blink: Edited by Cluttermagnet

Clutter . . . . the command sudo chmod 755 nocapslock should be:

$ sudo chmod 755 /usr/share/gnome/autostart/nocapslock

sorry about the confusion ;)For the dial-up problems . . . . seems to me you need KPPP ( that is if you switched to Kubuntu ) . . . makes it far easier to connect/disconnectB) Bruno

Cluttermagnet
su d'oh!_____Adults read and write, children look at the pictures; adults can use the terminal, children only use the menus.
:blink: Thanks, Urmas! That is a good page of info. Yep, I think I'd better consider the KDE client. Although, sadly, the gnome dialer is at least 'adequate' in Dapper. That one, I'm sort of getting used to on my two Dapper machines. You are flying more 'blind' than compared with 98SE, but at least you can learn it and its behavior is consistent and, after a while, even predictable. Oh, that leads me to ask again- if I try to go that route, does that mean having to download the entire KDE desktop environment in order to get the modem software?Oh, and just for clarification, so far I have only tried to access the internet in Linux using external modems. Just to make it easier on me. So I really doubt it's the modem's fault, but you never know. Sometimes, I have seen these Best Data "Smart One 56SX2" external modems 'hang' and not return to standby mode, if a connection is lost. Anyway, I'd not 'muddy the waters' by attempting to use any Winmodems this early in my Linux education. I'll take on that problem further down the road. Boy, and I do have a ton of Winmodem cards here, and they are dirt cheap, too.I'm trying to keep a writen journal reasonably current, with all the commands and other Linux data I've been learning. This thread has grown sooooo long (but it's been fun!) It's a lot easier to flip through a log book than to parse 25 pages of thread to find something that's been covered here. B) Just the same, I find myself searching back through this thread a lot, sometimes daily.
Clutter . . . . the command sudo chmod 755 nocapslock should be:
$ sudo chmod 755 /usr/share/gnome/autostart/nocapslock

sorry about the confusion ;)For the dial-up problems . . . . seems to me you need KPPP ( that is if you switched to Kubuntu ) . . . makes it far easier to connect/disconnectB) Bruno

Thanks, Bruno!I'll retry that tonight after work. And I bet it works.I have some Kubuntu CD's on order. When they come, I will install it on at least one PC and learn it. I hear enough comments that I know, some things KDE does better. I will learn it! :thumbsup:BTW last night I got a hunch on my own that the command needed to be more detailed, just like that. For that, I feel really good. It shows me that my instincts for Linux are probably going to be pretty good. I really do believe I have an aptitude for the command line. I intend to learn that plus GUI methods in parallel. The GUI approach will be needed to entice my friends into the Linux realm. :thumbsup: Edited by Cluttermagnet

I'll retry that tonight after work. And I bet it works.
You bet it works !. . . LOL . . . You had me worried, I had to check The Tips to see if I maybe forgot something . . . but it says clearly to do the chmod command before moving the file to the "/usr/share/gnome/autostart/" location . . . :blink: Anyway, I hope your Kubuntu comes in soon so you can give that one a test-run and convince yourself that an external ( serial ) modem is indeed the way to go in Linux ;):hmm: Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Hi, Clutter...I think we mentioned this somewhere before, but Linux Mint IS Ubuntu Feisty.

Cluttermagnet
You bet it works !. . . LOL . . . You had me worried, I had to check The Tips to see if I maybe forgot something . . . but it says clearly to do the chmod command before moving the file to the "/usr/share/gnome/autostart/" location . . . B) Anyway, I hope your Kubuntu comes in soon so you can give that one a test-run and convince yourself that an external ( serial ) modem is indeed the way to go in Linux ;):hysterical: Bruno
Looks like Terminal accepted this comand OK, Bruno. I'll reboot later and see if the script 'took'. Thanks! ;)
Hi, Clutter...I think we mentioned this somewhere before, but Linux Mint IS Ubuntu Feisty.
Yep, I actually knew that, Eric. :thumbsup: It has some good things going for it. I will return another day and work with it again.