Clutter Learns Linux

Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
You bet it works !. . . LOL . . . You had me worried, I had to check The Tips to see if I maybe forgot something . . . but it says clearly to do the chmod command before moving the file to the "/usr/share/gnome/autostart/" location . . . :hysterical: Anyway, I hope your Kubuntu comes in soon so you can give that one a test-run and convince yourself that an external ( serial ) modem is indeed the way to go in Linux ;):thumbsup: Bruno
OK, you got me on that one, Bruno. My bad. If I had followed your directions explicitly, it would have worked. Problem is, I tried to do it by
sudo gedit /usr/share/gnome/autostart/nocapslock

Then I tried to make it executable by

sudo chmod 755 nocapslock

Uh huh. ;) So you see, I am perhaps a good student because I remembered something you taught me before (create bash script for zip100 drive mounting), then tried (inappropriately) to apply it. OK, so perhaps I'm not a great student of le Professeur Pingouin. I'll try to follow directions better next time. :thumbsup: :hysterical: D'oh! Think about it, though- for a moment, I was verging on actual independent thinking. B) Heck, I almost figured it out for myself last night, but I was a bit too tired and depressed. It's been a hard work week. I'm so happy the weekend is here. :wacko:Last thought:

...you can give that one a test-run and convince yourself that an external ( serial ) modem is indeed the way to go in Linux :thumbsup:
I decided I would only use external modems with Linux. That's what I'm always using. I have 3 of them now, and with some sharing, I can have an external modem connected to any of my many towers in this room. I never have tried to get a Winmodem to work under Linux. Maybe later... Edited by Cluttermagnet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cluttermagnet

• Urmas

• Bruno

• V.T. Eric Layton

Cluttermagnet

Hi, Bruno-Well, guess what? That's right, the nocapslock script does not work. D'oh! :thumbsup: ;) After a reboot, the Caps key still works, B)

D'oh... you're running "Feisty" now... "Glipper" should be in repos... so, if gClip won't behave... :hysterical:
Hi, Urmas-I redid the 'mantra' most carefully indeed. At two points, I was prompted whether I wanted to overwrite an existing file. Since I knew what I was doing, I typed Y (enter) and allowed the overwrite. So it's quite obvious I had the files for gclip correctly installed, but I still get error messages, "no such command" or whatever. I dunno. I guess I'll try glipper now, eh? :hysterical: What is wrong with this forum software? It insists in combining my replies to different people. I want them posted separately. It is rejecting all my attempts to override and correct and edit what it is doing. Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Glipper was about a 1 minute install. Easy. I'll play with it and see how it does. Gclip was fine, however. I like it in Dapper.

Well, guess what? That's right, the nocapslock script does not work. D'oh! B) :hysterical: After a reboot, the Caps key still works, ;)
Clutter . . if you give this command ( as user ) what does it spit out as reply ? And is the capslock gone after it ?
xmodmap -e "remove Lock = Caps_Lock"

What is wrong with this forum software? It insists in combining my replies to different people. I want them posted separately. It is rejecting all my attempts to override and correct and edit what it is doing.
If you wait 5 minutes between replies it will make a new post . . . . every post before the 5 minutes is automatically joint with your previous post if no other member has posted after you.Yes it is the *#$@!! forum software . . . and there is nothing I can do to fix it ;)B) Bruno

Cluttermagnet
Clutter . . if you give this command ( as user ) what does it spit out as reply ? And is the capslock gone after it ?

Hi, Bruno-Thanks for being so ever-patient with me. Yes, I tried that command last night, and it does work and kill the Caps key. So I must have some minor problem, perhaps a syntax error? Terminal did not note any errors when I made the script active- so as far as I know, that did get done.

hmmmm . . . can you show me the result of 2 commands ?

$ ls -al /usr/share/gnome/autostart/nocapslock$ cat /usr/share/gnome/autostart/nocapslock

:hysterical: Bruno

Cluttermagnet
hmmmm . . . can you show me the result of 2 commands ?
$ ls -al /usr/share/gnome/autostart/nocapslock$ cat /usr/share/gnome/autostart/nocapslock

:hysterical: Bruno

Sorry, Bruno-Last night I must have used sudo to activate nocapslock. Just now, I tried it as user and all I get is a right arrow and the cursor. Edit: No, the command actually does work. Sorry, I can't seem to type today...Then I fired up Terminal again and tried
ls -al /usr/share/gnome/autostart/nocapslock

and I get

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 61 2007-06-22 0:418 /usr/share/gnome/autostart/nocapslock
Then I tried
cat /usr/share/gnome/autostart/nocapslock

and it returns my bash script, letter perfect:

#!/bin/bashxmodmap -e "remove Lock = Caps_Lock"#End script
Edit: Aw, gee- I can't even type today. Still waking up. I typed the command again as user and the command did work! Edited by Cluttermagnet

This is confusing Clutter . . .You mean that when you give the command as user it does not work ?? the capslock is not deactivated ?But when you use "sudo" it does work ??Or is it the other way around ?? :hysterical: Anyway . . . can you reboot and see after the reboot what the capslock does ?;) Bruno

Cluttermagnet
This is confusing Clutter . . .You mean that when you give the command as user it does not work ?? the capslock is not deactivated ?But when you use "sudo" it does work ??Or is it the other way around ?? :hysterical: Anyway . . . can you reboot and see after the reboot what the capslock does ?;) Bruno
Sorry, Bruno. I can't type correctly today. The user command does work. I'm rebooting right now......I rebooted and the Caps key is still active. Edited by Cluttermagnet

Clutter . . usually during login you should get a pop-up asking if you want the nocapslock script to be executed at login of Gnome . . . . did you get such a pop-up ??:hysterical: Bruno

Cluttermagnet
Clutter . . usually during login you should get a pop-up asking if you want the nocapslock script to be executed at login of Gnome . . . . did you get such a pop-up ??;) Bruno
I remember reading that somewhere- but no, I never saw the popup. Is it possible, however, that the popup shows only one time, and I happened not to be looking at my monitor when the popup came? Yes, I read that, but it was in a different context- something to do with making gclip start with Ubuntu that that should cause a permission popup. Sorry...So far as I remember, I have never seen any such popup of any kind, when using Ubuntu.BTW Bruno- please remember to always scroll back up in a thread that I am in. I'm not the world's greatest typist. I do a lot of re-editing on my forum posts, my web page, etc. I do this re-editing in near- real time. Almost every forum post I make gets re-edited. :hysterical: When I try to type context-sensitive stuff real fast, like today, I do sometimes make mistakes. Then I go back and edit. But if such commands are the 'real thing', I go slow and I read and reread until I'm sure everything is letter perfect. Edited by Cluttermagnet

:scratching_head: Clutter . . somewhere in the gnome-control-center there is an "autorun" section . . . can you have a look if you can find it ?:hysterical: Bruno

Cluttermagnet
:scratching_head: Clutter . . somewhere in the gnome-control-center there is an "autorun" section . . . can you have a look if you can find it ?:hysterical: Bruno
OK, I found the Control Center. I had to option Ubuntu to display it. It was 'hidden'. But I see nothing directly referencing 'autostart/autorun'. "Services", maybe? Can you think of any other words they would use to describe that section of the OS?I have to go work a few hours now. I'll be back later in the evening (US-EDT)... Edited by Cluttermagnet

Okay Clutter . . I booted Ubuntu . . . . and here is what you do:To start the gnome-control-center you simply open a terminal and type "gnome-control-center" ( NO sudo ! )Next you look for "Sessions" ( in the "personal" section near the top ) and click on it . . . on the first tab there is "startup programs" . . . that is the section we want . . . click on "New" and fill in the box that says "command" the path to the nocapslock executable . . so "/usr/share/gnome/autostart/nocapslock" . . for the "name" just type something fancy ;)Now when that is done . . . reboot and see if it works this time :DB) Bruno

Cluttermagnet
Okay Clutter . . I booted Ubuntu . . . . and here is what you do:To start the gnome-control-center you simply open a terminal and type "gnome-control-center" ( NO sudo ! )Next you look for "Sessions" ( in the "personal" section near the top ) and click on it . . . on the first tab there is "startup programs" . . . that is the section we want . . . click on "New" and fill in the box that says "command" the path to the nocapslock executable . . so "/usr/share/gnome/autostart/nocapslock" . . for the "name" just type something fancy ;)Now when that is done . . . reboot and see if it works this time :DB) Bruno
OK. Rebooting...

Cluttermagnet

OK, results were not good. Assuming I entered the command correctly, it is not autostarting. After reboot, still Caps Lock key is working. Then Ubuntu Feisty decided it would change my networking again, unasked. So no dialup modem. I rebooted into 98SE to type this. Late for work, must go now. I will carefully recheck the session item I created when I get back later. Thanks for all the help. We'll get it worked out eventually. Boy, and nocapslock is a setting I really need. I hit that key with my little finger all the time. I'm not a touch typer. I have to watch my fingers on the keyboars. So when I make a mistake, I usually don't catch it for at least a line or more. Aargh! :hysterical: ;) BBL...

:'( Clutter, for later this evening or tomorrow: . . after you checked everything . . . . the last straw is to make the script again and place in in /home/clutter ( so you are the owner and not root ) . . . make it executable again with chmod and in the gnome-control-center change the command to "/home/clutter/nocapslock"I bet that it will work okay that way.B) Bruno

Cluttermagnet

Hi, Bruno-I created a bash script as you suggested:

sudo mkdir /home/clutter/scripts

Well, almost as you suggested. B) Then:

sudo gedit /home/clutter/scripts/nocapslock

Then I typed in and saved the script exactly, as discussed before, then

sudo chmod 755 /home/clutter/scripts/nocapslock

Everything appears to have gone well.For now, I have manually entered the nocaps command via a Terminal window. It works, of course. In a few minutes, I will reboot to test this.

Cluttermagnet
B) Clutter, for later this evening or tomorrow: . . after you checked everything . . . . the last straw is to make the script again and place in in /home/clutter ( so you are the owner and not root ) . . . make it executable again with chmod and in the gnome-control-center change the command to "/home/clutter/nocapslock"I bet that it will work okay that way.B) Bruno
I found that the 3rd tab in Sessions is about "Save Session". After I changed the address of my 'nocapslock' function to "/home/clutter/scripts/nocapslock", I went over to that 3rd tab and saved the session. Hope this is OK. Maybe this is why I had trouble before with the old address?BTW I did those two commands
ls -al /home/clutter/scripts/nocapslockcat /home/clutter/scripts/nocapslock

The first command returned

-rwxr-xr-x root root 61 2007-06-25 01:33 /home/clutter/scripts/nocapslock
The second returned my bash script, letter perfect.So anyway, now I'm done typing in the forums and I'm going to reboot and see what happens... Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

D'oh! B) Caps key still working, script failed. :hysterical:Do I not own this command if I put it in a sub-directory of /clutter, rather than directly in /clutter?Root still owns this thing?

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Hi Clutter

-rwxr-xr-x root root 61 2007-06-25 01:33 /home/clutter/scripts/nocapslock
I don't know how you did it but the file is indeed owned by root at the moment . . . . . B) . . . but we can change that:
# chown clutter:clutter  /home/clutter/scripts/nocapslock# chmod 755  /home/clutter/scripts/nocapslock# ls -l  /home/clutter/scripts/nocapslock

( last command will show now that you own the file )After that a reboot should do the trick . . . B) Bruno

Cluttermagnet

Indeed! The "...root root..." in that line is replaced by "...clutter clutter..."I'll reboot and see what happens, brb...

If after the reboot the capslock still does not behave . . .give the next command ( as user clutter )

$ /home/clutter/scripts/nocapslock

and see if that did do the trick.B) Bruno

Cluttermagnet
If after the reboot the capslock still does not behave . . .give the next command ( as user clutter )
$ /home/clutter/scripts/nocapslock

and see if that did do the trick.B) Bruno

Hmmm, very interesting...After reboot, the Caps key was still working. But after I gave that user command, the script has worked. No more caps lock function. (What does this mean so far as getting it to autostart with Ubuntu?) Edited by Cluttermagnet

So something is not working in that Gnome autostart . . . . :(We will have to find another way to start that script: probably linking to the /etc/rcS.d directory . . . . Just let me do some tests and I will get back to you on this.B) Bruno

Cluttermagnet

Thanks very much, Bruno-BTW just to remind you (this could make a difference)- lately (for about the past week) I am working in Ubuntu Feisty 7.04. In the past, all our discussions have concerned my two copies of Dapper 6.06.For some reason, Dapper feels more 'polished', more 'finished' to me. I really like the overall look and feel factors of Dapper. Feisty feels like it has more 'rough edges' somehow. Certainly, from my perspective, dialup was working much better and more predictably in Dapper, but is a real pain in Feisty. :wacko:Based on our experiences getting zip drives to mount in Dapper, using scripts, rcS.d makes a lot of sense somehow.

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Well the /etc/rcS.d trick did not work . . . . I am looking at other options right now.About Feisty and Dapper . . . . . . With dapper having Long Time Support, and it running better on your hardware ( modem friendly ) it would maybe in your case be an idea to switch back to dapper and feed Feisty to the birds . . . . B) BrunoPS: I just tested adding the xmodmap line to the /usr/bin/startgnome script . . . ( because it starts the windowmanager as user ) . . . but even that did not work :(

EUREKA:Please add the line

( as user not as root ) at the bottom of this file:/home/clutter/.profilerebootsmile :DB) Bruno