OOPS Colin is NOT PCLos'd

kamicota

BurinbushDo I put my Mepis cd in the drive to do that OR do use my PCLos 81CD to do those commandsColin as USUAL a little :blink: :wub: :medic: :icon8: ;)

Edited by kamicota

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• ross549

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

HI ColinWhat was the resolution before you installed Mepis ( running it Live ) . . . was it okay back then ?? And did you use the F3 key ( again, before booting the Live version ) to set the correct screen-resolution ??;) Bruno

BrunoI USED the F3 key pressed enter on the 1024x768 resolution and went into the live CD and still the resolution was 800x600 but went ahead with the install anywaysColin

Ahaaaaaa . . . . there you should have waited and told us that booting Live gave you resolution problems too . . . Now, here is what we will do:1). Put the Mepis CD in the CD-ROM 2). At the first screen you get press F3 . . choose the correct resolution3). In the white box at the bottom of the screen I want you to add xres=1024x768 to the boot-options that are already there4). Only then boot Mepis Live . . . and tell us if it worked.;) Bruno

Yes BrunoThere were other commands in that white box & I added xres=1024x768 wether I left a space after the last command I can't rememberI have the Live cd ready to go if you wish to try againColin

Yep I would like you to try again . . . because when I try ( with another even bigger resolution ) I get the resolution I ask for . . . . ;) Bruno

BrunoF3 hit on livecd 1024x768 was highlighted - hit enter uttonthen put xres=1024x768 in the lower box--->>>AND AGAIN I HAVE THE 800X600 --->>>OOPS no it is 640x480 that I haveColin :medic: ;)

Strange . . . seems you have an odd video card that is not so well supported by MepisMaybe you can boot the Mepis HD install ( so not the Live version ) and post

# cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

;) Bruno

Bruno This screen is also 640x480 and I thought ;) it was 800x600kamicota@1[~]$ suPassword:root@1[kamicota]# cat /boot/grub/menu.lsttimeout 15color cyan/blue white/blueforeground ffffffbackground 0639a1gfxmenu /boot/grub/messagetitle MEPIS at hdb9, kernel 2.6.10kernel (hd1,8)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10 root=/dev/hdb9 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=791initrd (hd1,8)/boot/initrd.splashtitle MEPIS at hdb9, kernel 2.4.29kernel (hd1,8)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.29 root=/dev/hdb9 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=791 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsiinitrd (hd1,8)/boot/initrd.splashtitle Windows at hda1rootnoverify (hd0,0)chainloader +1title MEMTESTkernel /boot/memtest86.binroot@1[kamicota]# Colin

I see you have 2 kernels to choose from . . . are both giving the same results ??Okay what I want you to do:

# kedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

And make these changes ( see GREEN additions )

timeout 15color cyan/blue white/blueforeground ffffffbackground 0639a1gfxmenu /boot/grub/messagetitle MEPIS at hdb9, kernel 2.6.10kernel (hd1,8)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10 root=/dev/hdb9 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=791 xres=1024x768initrd (hd1,8)/boot/initrd.splashtitle MEPIS at hdb9, kernel 2.4.29kernel (hd1,8)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.29 root=/dev/hdb9 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=791 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi xres=1024x768initrd (hd1,8)/boot/initrd.splashtitle Windows at hda1rootnoverify (hd0,0)chainloader +1title MEMTESTkernel /boot/memtest86.bin
Then save the file and reboot . . . and try to boot both kernels that the Grub menu offers you . . ;) Bruno

I wonder if he changed the GRUB menu to vga normal.... would that possibly make diference? I ran into this problem with my unsupported chip

We can try that although the vga=791 is only during boot . . .
BrunoBoth kernels give me 640x480Colin

Colin . . last try . . . we do Adams option:
# kedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

And make these changes:

timeout 15color cyan/blue white/blueforeground ffffffbackground 0639a1gfxmenu /boot/grub/messagetitle MEPIS at hdb9, kernel 2.6.10kernel (hd1,8)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10 root=/dev/hdb9 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=normal xres=1024x768initrd (hd1,8)/boot/initrd.splashtitle MEPIS at hdb9, kernel 2.4.29kernel (hd1,8)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.29 root=/dev/hdb9 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=normal hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi xres=1024x768initrd (hd1,8)/boot/initrd.splashtitle Windows at hda1rootnoverify (hd0,0)chainloader +1title MEMTESTkernel /boot/memtest86.bin
:D Bruno

Bruno....I use the fbdev driver on my laptop... I had to change the LILO menu to use the desired x resolution. It might be that Colin's card is not being detected properly.

OOPSThought I saw a spaceSTILL the same bruno 640x480 There were other commands in that white box and I just left them there and put fb1024x768 at the end of themColin

Righty Ho BrunoLooks like another hdb9 delete and set up as journalised fs ext3 And either an install of Feedora Core4 DVD or Knoppix 4.0 DVD and a little bird is suggesting fedoraColin

Hi QuintWe did tweak the XF86Config-4 in every way possible in a previous attempt with Colin and Mepis . . . . . . no way to have it cracked.Hi ColinTake whatever distro you choose to replace this Mepis desaster ;):D Bruno