OOPS Colin is NOT PCLos'd

kamicota

What have you heard about the linux + live DVD live dvd on the aurox base

That is just a Debian based distro like Mepis is . . . and Mepis seems more suitable . . . . ;)I would first finish PCLos . . then install Mepis . . . and only then look at a 3rd alternative . . . patience please :POkay for the rescue CD post me the next info after the reboot:
# cat /etc/lilo.conf# ls -al /boot

:thumbsup: Bruno

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• ross549

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we have Password:[root@localhost kamicota]# cat /etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="pclinuxos"keytable=/boot/livecd.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-oci7 label="pclinuxos" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.10-oci7.imgappend="devfs=nomount nomce splash=silent"vga=788read-onlyother=/dev/hda1label="win_c"other=/dev/hdb6label="win_d"other=/dev/hdb7label="win_e"other=/dev/hdb8label="win_f"other=/dev/hdb9label="win_g"[root@localhost kamicota]# ls -al /boottotal 3328drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep 2 15:02 ./drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 4096 Sep 2 15:02 ../-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Nov 28 2004 boot.0300lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Sep 2 15:02 config -> config-2.6.10-oci7-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 56236 Feb 15 2005 config-2.6.10-oci7-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512614 Sep 2 13:57 initrd-2.6.10-oci7.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Sep 1 11:33 initrd.img -> initrd-2.6.10-oci7.i mglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Sep 2 15:02 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.6.10- oci7-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 695 Feb 16 2005 kernel.h-2.6.10-oci7-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 256 Sep 1 11:46 livecd.klt-rw------- 1 root root 440832 Sep 2 13:57 maplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Sep 1 11:33 message -> message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 388367 Jul 8 02:57 message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 132 Nov 28 2004 message-textlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Sep 1 11:33 System.map -> System.map-2.6.10-oc i7-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 576316 Feb 15 2005 System.map-2.6.10-oci7-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 Nov 28 2004 us.kltlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Sep 1 11:33 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.10-oci7-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1371899 Feb 15 2005 vmlinuz-2.6.10-oci7[root@localhost kamicota]#Colin :thumbsup:

Okay here is the command:

$ su< password ># mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.10-oci7.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-oci7

:thumbsup: BrunoPS: How is KDE 3.4 ??

BrunoI have no had a chnce to settle in to 3.4 YET am THRILLED to have got this far so the enjoyment is still to come :P Of for the rescue cd nowand THANKS :D Colin a little :lol: but STILL :D and :thumbsup: :icon8: ALONG

ThanksRebooting is FUN B) :wacko: :thumbsup: even though the little :devil: and :pirate: inside are giving me the collywobbles again :w00t: :teehee: :clap: And even been :fishing: the ELive distro :P How about that eh :o Cheers for YearsColin :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :D

Yep BrunoIt Chose hdb9 after that screen BUT--->>>I WOULD NOT allow that to happen and told me --->>>Do not install GRUB--->>> Just reboot with the livecd and use repair grub boot loaderso I did and there was no where I could do that in the LivecdSo from here I am LITTLE :'( :"> :"> :"> :icon8: Colin :thumbsup:

????????????????????????????????????????Maybe you did wait to long because you posted on the forum for the answer . . . . I would re-format hdb9 and try to install again . . . . . and hope this time grub will install in hdb9 . . :"> Bruno

BrunoI HAVE found the place in the mepis OS center and CAN do this BUT the 800x600 screen will NOT allow me to access the apply button at the bottomAny ideasColin

We can only change the screen-resolution on the HD install . . not from the Live CD . . ( or you have to use a cheatcode at boot )But if you hold the left-Alt key you can move the window with your mouse ( place it anywhere you want ) so you can hit the OK button :DB) Bruno

No BrunoI have deleted hdb9 and am preparing to format it in PCLOsAnd seems as if Mepis wants to chose this last partitionand it offered /usr but there are other choices like /homeSo I don't know wether to format or just leave it trhe way it is Colin

Colin . . . two things:1) "Reiserfs" and "Ext3" are two very different filesystems . . . but any of them will do.2) If you make the partition in PCLos you should NOT mount it anywhere ( so NOT /usr or /home !! ) just leave it blank . . . . . . . Then once you install Mepis the Mepis installer should place "/" on hdb9 . . . . and only use one partition.:"> Bruno

Thanks BrunoAlthough I HAD formatted this partion before as reiserfs and that's when the Grub into hdb9 gave me problemsSo if I am right would it be best just NOT to format it???Right now it is sitting at hdb9 empty 15G or soColin

Then change the format to "Ext3" . . . maybe Mepis will like that better . . . In the PCLos partition tool . . . "Umount" --> "Type" ( and you can change the type of format ) --> "Format" :"> Bruno

But Colin . . . . . ."reiserfs ext3" does NOT exist !!!! . . . . It can not be 2 different formats at the same time !!!Delete the partition and recreate it again and make sure it is "journalled Ext3" . . . and also make sure it is NOT mounted anywhere.:"> Bruno

OOPS BrunoIt is journalised FS ext3and does not show it being formattedI have PCLos on hdb1swap hdb5hdb6 journalisedfs ext3hdb7 journalised fs ext 3hdb8 journalised fs ext3hdb9 journalised fs ext 3and ONLY hdb1 and hdb5 are formatted & mountedColin

Okay . . . . . now we seem to be on the right track . . . . . . :DBut just to be sure . . can you show me the result of the next command:

# cat /etc/fstab

:"> Bruno

[kamicota@localhost kamicota]$ suPassword:[root@localhost kamicota]# cat /etc/fstab# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details# /dev/hdb1, size=30317553, type=131: Journalised FS: ext3 (primary)/dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults 1 1none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0# cdrom: SONY DVD RW DW-Q28A/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto user,exec,ro,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,um ask=0 0 0# cdrom: HL-DT-ST GCE-8526B/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,exec,ro,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,u mask=0 0 0# fd: H1440/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,exec,rw,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,u mask=0 0 0# /dev/hda1, size=156280257, type=7: NTFS (primary)/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs user,exec,ro,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0none /proc proc defaults 0 0none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0# /dev/hdb5, size=2121777, type=130: Linux swap (extended)/dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0[root@localhost kamicota]#Colin

Looking good my friend . . .excellent !! :DOkay now go and install Mepis again on hdb9 . . . . . ( only hdb9, just on one partition . . . not on more then that one partition :"> )And at the end place grub on hdb9 :DB) Bruno