pclos8

gauchoperezoso

gauchoperezoso

[root@chello084010044003 guest]# cat /etc/fstab## Livecd-install Automatically added by livecd-installnone /proc proc defaults 0 0none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0# /dev/hda1, size=1012032, type=130: Linux swap (primary)/dev/hda1 swap swap defaults 0 0# /dev/hda5, size=38909367, type=131: Journalised FS: ReiserFS (extended)/dev/hda5 / reiserfs notail,noatime,notail,noatime 0 0# /dev/hda6, size=37158282, type=7: NTFS (extended)/dev/hda6 /mnt/win_c ntfs user,exec,ro,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0# cdrom: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2512/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto user,exec,ro,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0[root@chello084010044003 guest]#ok Bruno.ill start reinstalling.itll take some time B) see you when i am done :D

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gauchoperezoso

• Bruno

• ross549

• ikerekes

gauchoperezoso

ok Adam:).no problem:[gaucho@chello084010044003 guest]$ mount/dev/hda5 on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime,notail,notail)none on /proc type proc (rw)none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)none on /sys type sysfs (rw)[gaucho@chello084010044003 guest]$ ls /mntcdrom/ usbhome/ win_c/[gaucho@chello084010044003 guest]

gauchoperezoso

[root@chello084010044003 guest]# mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/win_c[root@chello084010044003 guest]# mount/dev/hda5 on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime,notail,notail)none on /proc type proc (rw)none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)none on /sys type sysfs (rw)/dev/hda6 on /mnt/win_c type ntfs (rw)[root@chello084010044003 guest]# ls /mntcdrom/ usbhome/ win_c/[root@chello084010044003 guest]#i ran the first command one more time cuz i wanst root when first doing it :D

[root@chello084010044003 guest]# mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/win_c[root@chello084010044003 guest]# mount

:D No errors! Good!Now let us:

ls /mnt/win_c

We want to see if there is anything on the drive.

gauchoperezoso

root@chello084010044003 guest]# ls /mntcdrom/ usbhome/ win_c/[root@chello084010044003 guest]# ls /mnt/win_cDocuments and Settings/ pagefile.sys System Volume Information/Help/ Program Files/ WINDOWS/hiberfil.sys RECYCLER/[root@chello084010044003 guest]# had to leave for a sec,am back for good now :D

gauchoperezoso

[root@chello084010044003 guest]# cat /etc/fstab## Livecd-install Automatically added by livecd-installnone /proc proc defaults 0 0none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0# /dev/hda1, size=1012032, type=130: Linux swap (primary)/dev/hda1 swap swap defaults 0 0# /dev/hda5, size=38909367, type=131: Journalised FS: ReiserFS (extended)/dev/hda5 / reiserfs notail,noatime,notail,noatime 0 0# /dev/hda6, size=37158282, type=7: NTFS (extended)/dev/hda6 /mnt/win_c ntfs user,exec,ro,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0 0 0# cdrom: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2512/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto user,exec,ro,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0[root@chello084010044003 guest]#

gauchoperezoso

no problem :D :[root@chello084010044003 guest]# cat /etc/lilo.confboot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="pclinuxos"keytable=/boot/livecd.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk label="pclinuxos" root=/dev/hda5 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk.imgappend="devfs=nomount acpi=ht nomce splash=silent"vga=788read-onlyother=/dev/hda6label="win_c"[root@chello084010044003 guest]#

Just a remark in the sideline:You said you wiped the full HD and that is why the Fedora partitions ( swap ) were gone . . so you re-installed windows before we installed PCLos.Why is then Windows on hda6 . . and not on hda1 where it actually should belong . . . what happened with partitioning that PCLos is at the start of the HD . . .( and even the /swap on hda1 ) . . . . . The whole setup is a bit weird . . . that is why hda6 was not bootable but hda1 was ( where Windows should have been )Now basically it should not matter where /swap is . . or Windows . . . but I am just asking myself: did anything else go wrong with that partition-party something we can not really see ( yet )I mean you had 2 windows partitions before we started formatting to ReiserFS . . why was XP on D: ?? and not on C: ??Just looking for clues . . . .:D Bruno

Hi RossSo just reinstall on hda6 ??Or repartition and start from scratch having Windows on hda1 ??B) BrunoPS: Sorry gaucho . . I had been helping in 4 threads at the same time . . I needed that break :D

gauchoperezoso

i thought it didnt matter on what partition i install windows.i installed it on D just for the sake of it.no particular reason :D .It didnt influence the way windows worked.

I would say just re-install it on hda6 then . . . . but I am no Windows expert . . so wait what Adam has to say . . . :D Bruno

OK, then there is only one way to go, as I see it....We will have to run fdisk again, and set the partition type back to type "c" and then save those changes, then reboot and see if it makes a difference for loading windows.

FAT32... I misspoke without consulting my notes. We need to set it to NTFS. I do not have an NTFS partition on this machine, but fdisk is showing type 7 for NTFS.Maybe after resetting the partition type, it will be bootable, since Windows thinks it is the C drive.EDIT: do not know where the "1" came from :thumbsup:

Edited by ross549

Yep Windows thinks it is the C drive . . but he installed on the D drive . . what about boot.ini ??B) BrunoNTFS = 7 . . . but you saw that already :thumbsup:

Yes but something like boot.ini . . autoexecute.bat . .or xxxxxx.sys or whatever file still looks for D !!! ( and D is not there ! ) My Windows knowledge is failing here :thumbsup: :DB) Bruno

It is, though..... Gauchperezoso said that he installed Windows on D:, which is hda6. The windows files are there, too...I think if we remove the boot flag from hda6 and change hda1 to type 7, that may at the very least reveal some clues, as we would then be able to mount it and see if boot.ini is there. If it is, then hda1 should be what lilo is pointing to.

Edited by ross549

Oh, dear. I did not realize that it was formatted. I though that with the errors that swap was giving on boot, the partition had not been formatted.

Well it is . . and /swap did work in the beginning :DWhat will be our advice ? Format entire disk and start from scratch with Windows on hda1ORJust reinstall Windows on hda6 ??:thumbsup: Bruno

Well it is . . and /swap did work in the beginning :DWhat will be our advice ? Format entire disk and start from scratch with Windows on hda1ORJust reinstall Windows on hda6 ??:thumbsup: Bruno
Well, personally, I would reinstall windows on hda1. I wonder if a repair install on hda6 would do the trick. It is worth a shot.....