pclos8

gauchoperezoso

I see you are rebooting . . . . . if it is still no good, have a look again in MCC --> System --> ServicesIs pcmcia unchecked ??Is network checked ??If not make the changes and reboot again ;)B) Bruno

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gauchoperezoso

• Bruno

• ross549

• ikerekes

gauchoperezoso

pcmcia is checked and so is network.i rebooted but still nothing.i mean i rebooted before reading your last post.the profile thing and preventing wlan from starting didnt work.i had to leave for a sec thats why it took me so long.

gauchoperezoso

when i set up internet connection i had to choose LAN.cable didnt work.it is strange cuz there is no LAN here.... B) but only this would work

pcmcia should NOT be checked :) . . . . nor should wlan . . . only network needs to remain checked ( and all the others that are checked at this moment B) )B) Bruno

when i set up internet connection i had to choose LAN.cable didnt work.it is strange cuz there is no LAN here.... B)  but only this would work
It sees your ethernet cable as LAN . . !! :) ( We almost all use LAN )B) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

hmmm.still nothing..unchecked everytrhinig as you told me.in my case that was only pcmia...really strange that it doesnt save the settings..on fedora it wasnt a problem.oh well maybe ill just play around later trying all the options.. B)

GauchoLet us put this to rest 'till someone comes up with a bright idea . . . . I have a more FUN plan:I think it is time you download and burn your first distro using Linux . . . . a Live one because you have no space for installing on that laptop ;)I was thinking about Slax, a Live Cd based on Slackware . . B) . . . Have a look:http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=02023#0180 MB . . what do you think ?? Here you can download the ISO: http://ftp.sh.cvut.cz/MIRRORS/linux-live.o.../slax-4.2.0.isochecksum: ac01823cead3d386c94f84f500ad28daHere are the how-to's:ISO and md5sumBrurning ISO'sCDRecord and kernel 2.6Additional instructions: login: root . . password: toor . . . . startx . . .;)B) Bruno

GauchoHow are you connected to the internet...? and I do take it base on what I've read you do connect through your ethernet card correct?

gauchoperezoso

i have an ethernet card.this is how i get connected to the internet.for some reason the wireless connection is a default one.i cant remove it permanently i.e. in a way that when i reboot it wouldnt be on.

gauchoperezoso

Bruno , i am downloading slack 4.2.0 iso.should be ready in an hour.but to be honest why download if i already have pclos?or is it something different?hope it isnt yet another one of my stupid questions B) B)

So when you disable wlan in mcc is does stay disabled when you reboot..is that a correct statement?...and I am assuming that you have to diable wlan and enable eth0 everytime you boot..correct?or do you have to fully set-up etho...also do you use DSL or cable?

Bruno , i  am downloading slack 4.2.0 iso.should be ready in an hour.but to be honest why download if i already have pclos?or is it something different?hope it isnt yet another one of my stupid questions B)  B)
Because it is fun to see another distro . . and because it is a good way to learn and practice how to "checksum" and burn ISO's . . . . there are plenty of Live CDs you can try . . just for the fun of it :DIt is like iceream . . one day you want chocolate, the next day you want to try vanilla or strawberry . . . . with Live CDs you can have all flavors and still have PCLos as your main install :):) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

i couldnt agree more with you bruno but then if i want to try other distro i have to boot it from live cd...too bad i cant have 10 different distros installed.40gb is not that much after all B)

Slax can ONLY be run Live Gaucho, no HD install !!! . . . Just for FUN :DNow concentrate on Barry's questions . . he might be able to help you with the connection problem :DB) Bruno

GauchoI think you can go into MMC in hardware...network devices applet, delete both adapters. Then add the card adapter first, then the wireless. Seems like you can tell it which can to be in there. Then you eth0 be first...also Im heading home..so let me know how it goes...I'll be back in about 1 hour..(and in front of a PCLinunxOS box..so I might even make some sense then) B)

gauchoperezoso

Barry,to be honest i dont know if wlan stays disabled when i reboot.i is unchecked in MCC >systems but when i manage connections wiireless is always there,even if i remove all the connections.you are right i do have to disable wlan and activate eth1 ethernet when i reboot but not by choosing new connecrtion but by removing wlan and choosing ethernet in manage connections.i use cable modem as far as i know B) hope it helps you

Gaucho,I think what Barry wants to try is put the ethernetcard on eth0 . . and the wireless on eth1 . . . . . maybe if it just remembers the settings for eth0 you will be set ;)Good plan Barry !B) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

i ll try to do it as soon as slax has been downloaded.dont want to mess it up B) as far as the connection goes i dont know if i can set ethernet as et0 sinse i can never remove wlan completely.but anyways ill try it.just 10 or so min more.thnx Barry for helping me B)

gauchoperezoso

nope,just like i thuoght,i cant remove wireless.when i go to remove connections it says there is no adaptors with ethernet.then i create a new connection it always is eth1. B)

gauchoperezoso

[root@chello084010044003 guest]# cat /etc/modprobe.confalias eth1 3c59xalias eth0 ipw2200install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/truealias eth0:9 ipw2200remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0[root@chello084010044003 guest]#

Gaucho . . please show me:

# cat /etc/modprobe.conf

There are 2 lines:alias eth0 ?????alias eth1 ?????Those I need to see . . :) BrunoNOTE: For those following this thread: before kernel 2.6 this was the "/etc/modules.conf" file B)

gauchoperezoso

ill reboot one more time just to see what happens.i checked "track network card".maybe that it will work.it says it is good for laptops B)

Sorry I did not see your answer above . . . B)

# kwrite /etc/modprobe.conf

And make that read:

alias eth1 ipw2200alias eth0  3c59x
Remove the "alias eth0:9 ipw2200"So just switch the two cards from eth . . . . :) . . and remove the eth0:9 . . ( whatever that is )Then reboot . . . B) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

alias eth1 3c59xalias eth0 ipw2200install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/truealias eth0:9 ipw2200remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0thats what i get in kwrite.ill change the lines now and it should work i guess B)