pclos8

gauchoperezoso

ill reboot one more time just to see what happens.i checked "track network card".maybe that it will work.it says it is good for laptops B)
Where was that written ?? "track network card" ??:) Bruno

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gauchoperezoso

• Bruno

• ross549

• ikerekes

alias eth1 3c59xalias eth0 ipw2200install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/truealias eth0:9 ipw2200remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0thats what i get in kwrite.ill change the lines now and it should work i guess B)
There are 3 lines to change Gaucho !!! ( 2 edits and 1 remove ):) BrunoPS: Just remember: if it does not work we have to restore the original settings . . that is why we need it posted on the forum, so you have it written down B)

gauchoperezoso

hmmm.it doesnt work i think.ill reboot one more time.i forgot to tell you that when starting it says bringing up interface eth1 failed.maybe that the problem.

Please show me the file first:

# cat /etc/modprobe.conf

eth1 should now be the wireless . . . so not important is it fails . . . maybe you can disable the wireless in the BIOS ??We want eth0 to be successful . . because that should now be the ethernetcard . . . :DB) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

some progress.thanks to switching eth0 and eth1 now i dont have to remove any connection.it is really weird cuz i just have to go manage connections and choose eth0 which is ethernet and then it works.but during a start up both eth0 and eth1 fail.

gauchoperezoso

alias eth0 3c59xalias eth1 ipw2200install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/trueremove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0[root@chello084010044003 guest]#

some progress.thanks to switching eth0 and eth1 now i dont have to remove any connection.it is really weird cuz i just have to go manage connections and choose eth0 which is ethernet and then it works.but during a start up both eth0 and eth1 fail.
So even now you have to configure the connection after boot ?? . . And after setting it up now again and reboot one more time ??The file looks good !! ThanksAnyway it is time for me to stop . . . Barry, Adam or Ivan will take over . . . But remember if it keeps failing maybe you should revert the file to its old state . . . . or if you like it better this way . . just leave it and make notes for when you ever will have wireless connection and you maybe need to put it back ;)B) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

ok Bruno.ill remember that.thank you very much for today and see you tomorrow B) "track network card" is when i set up a new connection.one of the options.i dont even remember where exactly but i think it doesnt matter.

Will have to research this more, I don't have anymore answers thatn what you have from Bruno and switching the hardware between etho and 1...Brain is full..will see what I can find out...but I think switching hardware is on the right track..

gauchoperezoso

thanks a lot Barry.maybe tomorrow itll get better.now it isnt bad at all.i dont have to remove the connection anymore B) see you tomorrow

Gauchoperezoso.....Do you want to ever use the wireless on your laptop? You have been using the ethernet port the entire thread.....If not, there may be a way to disable the wireless portion entirely.

I am confused as to how your wireless can be eth1? I spent most of last night playing with my new PC Los install. I was working on the wireless. I have an internal wireless which it recognized and it installed - but it was wlan0 and then I have a USB wireless which was wlan1 if I remember correctly. I need to spend some time today figuring out why it would not connect with the wireless but will have to do that tonight when home from work.

Hi GauchoI can not understand it why the settings are not saved after a reboot . . so I would like to see 2 files to begin with:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0# cat /etc/sysconfig/network

Then, here is the plan: If it keeps forgetting it we will figure out what is needed to configure the connection on the commandline, after that we make a little script to run at boot so that we force your connection to be UP once the boot is finished. ( This solution will not win the beautycontest, but as long as it is effective I don't care :o )First you could try if this will do the trick:

# ifconfig eth0 up

If however that is not enough, try these ( you are using DHCP right ? ):

# netconfig  -d eth0 --bootproto=dhcp --netmask=255.255.255.0# ifconfig eth0 up

OR maybe just this one will be enough:

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

Anyway, how us what you get in the terminal from all those commands . . . and we will adapt them where needed ;):( Bruno

gauchoperezoso

HI Bruno B) first the two commands:[root@chello084010044003 guest]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0DEVICE=eth0BOOTPROTO=dhcpONBOOT=yesMETRIC=10MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=noNEEDHOSTNAME=yes[root@chello084010044003 guest]# cat /etc/sysconfig/networkNETWORKING=yes[root@chello084010044003 guest]#as for the others should i try them one by one and reboot every time?also i have a problem with downloaded distro.i checked if it was authenticity and then i burned it but not from the command line cuz it didnt work,so i used k3b.but when i reboot and insert it it doesnt work at all.any idea why?

gauchoperezoso

[root@chello084010044003 guest]# cdrecord --scanbusCdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2004 Jörg SchillingNote: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD supportNote: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to <warly@mandrakesoft.com>.Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.scsidev: 'ATA'devname: 'ATA'scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2##################################################################### Warning: Using ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface. Use dev=ATA:X,Y,Z or dev=/dev/hdX####################################################################Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (warly-Mandrakelinux-scsi-linux-sg '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c 1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J.Schilling').scsibus1: 1,0,0 100) 'TOSHIBA ' 'DVD-ROM SD-R2512' '1L21' Removable CD-ROM 1,1,0 101) * 1,2,0 102) * 1,3,0 103) * 1,4,0 104) * 1,5,0 105) * 1,6,0 106) * 1,7,0 107) *[root@chello084010044003 guest]# for some reason it seems to work today but yesterday it didnt.dont remember what it read but there was some problem.

[root@chello084010044003 guest]# cdrecord --scanbusCdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2004 Jörg SchillingNote: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD supportNote: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to <warly@mandrakesoft.com>.Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.scsidev: 'ATA'devname: 'ATA'scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2#########################################################  Warning: Using ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface. Use dev=ATA:X,Y,Z or dev=/dev/hdX#########################################################Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (warly-Mandrakelinux-scsi-linux-sg '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c       1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J.Schilling').scsibus1:        1,0,0   100) 'TOSHIBA ' 'DVD-ROM SD-R2512' '1L21' Removable CD-ROM        1,1,0   101) *        1,2,0   102) *        1,3,0   103) *        1,4,0   104) *        1,5,0   105) *        1,6,0   106) *        1,7,0   107) *[root@chello084010044003 guest]#  for some reason it seems to work today but yesterday it didnt.dont remember what it read but there was some problem.
!!! You have kernel 2.6 !!NEVER do --scanbus !!!! With kernel 2.6 !!Read here: CDrecord and kernel 2.6!!!!! :DB) Bruno

Just a minute . . now reboot and do NOT YET configure your connection . . I want to see the same files again after a reboot ;)B) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

[root@chello084010044003 guest]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0DEVICE=eth0BOOTPROTO=dhcpONBOOT=yesMETRIC=10MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=noNEEDHOSTNAME=yes[root@chello084010044003 guest]# cat /etc/sysconfig/networkNETWORKING=yes[root@chello084010044003 guest]#thats after the reboot.i only have to click on connect in mcc and it works.dont have to change anything or configure

Gaucho . . let us do a test:

# kwrite /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

And replace all what is there by these 4 simple lines:

DEVICE=eth0BOOTPROTO=dhcpNETMASK=255.255.255.0ONBOOT=yes
Save the file . . reboot . . and even if the boot-messages say that eth0 failed . . still see if you can reach the forum without going in the MCC and push the connect buttonB) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

[root@localhost guest]# cat /etc/sysconfig/networkNETWORKING=yes[root@localhost guest]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0DEVICE=eth0BOOTPROTO=dhcpONBOOT=yesMETRIC=10MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=noNEEDHOSTNAME=yes[root@localhost guest]#thats before configuration

[root@localhost guest]# cat /etc/sysconfig/networkNETWORKING=yes[root@localhost guest]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0DEVICE=eth0BOOTPROTO=dhcpONBOOT=yesMETRIC=10MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=noNEEDHOSTNAME=yes[root@localhost guest]#thats before configuration
I know . . it is the same as after configuration . . . . so try the tweak I posted above your post ;) :
# kwrite /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

And replace all what is there by these 4 simple lines:

DEVICE=eth0BOOTPROTO=dhcpNETMASK=255.255.255.0ONBOOT=yes
Save the file . . reboot . . and even if the boot-messages say that eth0 failed . . still see if you can reach the forum without going in the MCC and push the connect buttonB) Bruno

gauchoperezoso

[root@localhost guest]# kwrite /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedkwrite: cannot connect to X server :0[root@localhost guest]#i dont get it. ;)

Try

vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Press i before editing the file . . . . . and Esc + ZZ to save the fileB) Bruno