Juswannasayello!!!

Capt.Crow

I'm 20-30 miles back from the east coast of USA so no icebergs, although I understand that there's been a lot of ice on the shores of Cape Cod off Massachusetts.

• 2 weeks later...

update:- Spring really is here ,the garden is full of Daffs and narcissii. All the bigger plants are in serious bud and a noisey pair of magpies have built a nest on top of a bush 10ft from the back door.

I found an old "bent pin" AMD duron that with a little persuasion I got it into the A370 socket 0n the Gateway profile 3. Now to find a cooler fan small enough to fit inside the case . Cluttermagnet would love this one.

Painting ceilings all week . Back not great , But can live with a few aches.

And I found 3 friends that I haven;t seen for about 5 yrs .. Happy Days . Jam sessions this summer. Charlie Parker forever :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Like 3

If I get a chance I will list my collection of Jazz vynil .. Seriously searched for my Dizzy Gillespie . But unless it's in another cover . it left the premises under someones pullover :'(

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I didn't know where else to bring up this subject ,the jist of which is. :- As usual when I'm not on here or watching free movies I go bombing around on the internet (surf) So just out of curiosity I started looking for non-Windows,non-Linux , operating systems .

I had no idea there was anything other than the Sun system out there . I was surprised to find so many . Some forked off unix and so on . There were two that grabbed my curiosity . Reactos . alpha . and Haiku .beta. Both of which can run off an active disk/pen drive or on virtual machine.

So far the only os I've tried off the disk was Trisquel . I liked it but it was a tad slow . So Debian is my surfing wife .

Have any of you tried any of these alternative systems ,and if so how did you fare.

I am very curious and would appreciate feedback

Peace and tranquility to all .

Crow :luck:

Guest LilBambi

No here either.

Started with Mandrake (now Magiera I think), Redhat, Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian. Currently on Debian Wheezy. Also have VBox with Linux Mint.

Edited by LilBambi

:hmm: That's a big surprise ... I'm putting another box together and am seriously thinking about putting Haiku on it .

Like most Linux booters I'm very curious and adventurous . So I will be rooting around the Haiku forums a good bit while I compile my research and make a firm decision .

Thanks for the replies

Good luck with Red Hat . I fell down that hole about 2004. Even though I had the dead wood book it still was not an easy distro .

Saying that times move on and mayhaps it's a lot more user friendly these days .

Keep us posted .

update:- Finally got my sticky little fingers on my partners MSI.

It's tiny but got a quad cpu 1.6g per corner 300g hd ,but a miserable 1g ram . Loaded with w7 starter .

Now here's is the good bit . I put it on the net to do the updates/cleaners/etc and it swallowed up 608mb of my data allowance .

It runs at deadcrawl speed . But all things being equal it would be a really good little netbook with a complete reinstall.

V.T. Eric Layton

I have always liked the opensource version of RedHat... CentOS. It was always a fine distribution.

securitybreach

i downloaded red hat today. will let you know how that goes.

i think i installed haiku years ago, but don't really remember.

You do realize that it is only a 30 day trial as redhat does not offer a free version. Redhat is an enterprise only distro, hence why Fedora was created for the Community:

https://access.redhat.com/products/red-hat-enterprise-linux/evaluation

V.T. Eric Layton

My brother's a big Linux boy nowadays. Maybe I'll install CentOS on his systems for him next time around. :)

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach

capt crow, eric & securitybreach - thanks for the info - i may load red hat anyway & provide a report.

Not a problem. If you do like it, run CentOS as it is basically a free clone of Redhat Enterprise.

Capt.Crow

Yep the DeD at book came with 4 dvd's packed solid with stuff. Ye have a big drive..????

Go for the Cent's and the dollars will look better in your wallet :hysterical:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Yep the DeD at book came with 4 dvd's packed solid with stuff. Ye have a big drive..????

What is DeD at book???

securitybreach

aaaaaaaaaa sorry had a dose of whiskey fingers .. Should read Red hat book ..

It happens B)

Capt.Crow

Yipee!!!! Just pulled a complete Millenium drumkit out of a dumpster.. bit rusty round the rims ,but completely playable once it's tuned ..

It's a crazy world.

V.T. Eric Layton

Friends don't let friends type drunk.

You don't want to get stopped by the cops, Cap'n. They might make you draw a straight line. ;)

securitybreach

Friends don't let friends type drunk.

Don't you mean "friends don't let friends type sober"?

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Umm.... no. I typed it correctly. It's a take off on the old "Friends don't let friends drive drunk."

Capt.Crow

Who don't like whiskey. At least the PC is not gonna rollover or hit a tree or maybe worse.

I really believe the automobile is a deadly machine with a drunk behind the wheel. never D + D....10/4

• Like 1

Capt.Crow

Got so tired of the ripoff provider I am with that I done gone and signed up to another provider . *double the allowance for the same cost ,best of all treble the speed . *

So I sent my old provider an E-Mail which is the first step to cancelling my sub . Within 5mins the net connection started dropping out .falling to 2g. creeping along etc. :hysterical: But Sagis three foils them again and again and again :clap:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This is the first time in almost a fortnight that quiet and peace have returned to our little shack.

Graduation parties. Birthday parties. Get together parties.Poker parties .15 heads in the bar one night . Parties .Parties>and more to happen until the middle of next week .I have to admit to a little liquid jollity myself .And for some reason Ireland is bathed in sunshine mostly this past week. Long may it last.

We are really looking forward to a return to normality.

At least my liver is.......lol.

• Like 2