Juswannasayello!!!

Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

:luck: :cat: :fish: Hi I just would like to say hello . I'm an ancient owlfella with a penchant for computers. especially boxes that I put together from junk that gets left here and stuff that I find in skips(dumpsters). I never really looked past the install routine on ms dos . So cmd/line is a real challenge and steep learning curve for me .

I have read

The Red Hat book

Linux for Newbies

Running Linux (for the third time)

Man pages by the dozen etc et al.. ..

I have been running Debian ^ squeeze for the past 4/5 years .. (by the skin of my teeth)

I have tried Trisquel live Mint petra Suse . and a few others all with diminishing returns until I got Slackware 14 on a disk with Linux user mag . This one I really like . Its solid and almost bulletproof . and for some reason it seems to like me or my tenacity ,. There are a lot of holes in my knowledge and I hope to find a little help here . Thank you all in happy anticipation of same .

How did I find this hallowed place .??? I stumbled across the link in a very obscure thread over on Majorgeeks where I have been a member since my first dip into W 95. yonks ago

Thats it for now . Hope to get to know you over the next months/years/decades . :cat: :cat: :cat:

• Like 1

Welcome, Capt. Crow. You've certainly landed on the right place for patching any holes in your knowledge about ATL (All Things Linux)!

V.T. Eric Layton

Hiya Cap!

We're always happy to have a new member join our happy crowd here at Scot's. From the sounds of your intro, you'll fit right in. Let me clue you in to a few things right off, that way you'll feel even more comfortable about navigating around here...

Firstly, this board was started by its namesake, Scot Finnie, a fellow of vast talents, but little spare time. You may not see him around here too much. He is the Editor-In-Chief of ComputerWorld magazine, which keeps him pretty busy. He leaves this place to us to run and enjoy. He trusts us not to burn it down. So far, we've only had minor brush fires here and there. ;)

Next up, you'll find that this is a somewhat unique tech support style board. Admins, Mods, and members over the years have molded it into a friendly place where no one should be afraid of asking even the simplest of questions. No one here is going to tell you "RTFM" or "Don't ask dumb newbie questions, buddy." We don't play that way here. As a matter of fact, one of our founding Admins (Bruno Knaapen of Amsterdam, Netherlands) frowned upon the use of the word "newbie." He felt it was degrading, as we all do. So, we've banned the use of that word here.

You'll find a diverse sense of humor around here. We often trail off topic for a few laughs now and then. It's not going to get you crucified if you do so also. I'm one of the worse culprits. What fun is all this techie stuff if we can't laugh at ourselves occasionally, right? Anyway, you'll find it all here. We have Mac folks, Windows folks, Linux folks, etc. We're all one big family. No rabid fanboys here anywhere. Although, you'll find many of us touting our favorites here and there; all in good fun.

No one here would intentionally insult or intend injury to anyone here. So, if you read something that at first seems that way, ask for clarification. The sole use of the written medium to communicate is often a poor means to interact for humans. We are a bundle of signals and sights and sounds. You miss all that when just reading what someone is typing. Heavy use of the smilies available helps, though. :w00t:

If Linux is your one of your interests, there is a section of the board here called Bruno's All Things Linux where you'll fan a vast array of interesting and informative stuff and people. Stop on in and take a look around. Be sure to read the following, though...

Scot's Forum Rules

Get to know your friendly Admins and Mods

Check out Bruno's Classroom

Read Bruno's Prime Directive

If you get bored, check out The GNU/Linux Adventurer's Backpack, a blog article for beginning GNU/Linux folks.

Above all... HAVE FUN! :teehee:

Regards,

~Eric

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

quite the post, eric...

Thanks. I'm good for one or two of those a year.

V.T. Eric Layton

And the rest of his posts?

:P

Just padding, man. Just padding. ;)

securitybreach

Hiya Capt Crow. Welcome to the forums, glad to have you here :thumbup:

That is a great intro/welcome Eric, that should be pinned somewhere B)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

That is a great intro/welcome Eric, that should be pinned somewhere B)

Nah... then it wouldn't have the personal feel to it anymore. Besides, I need a good excuse to practice my typing every once in while. :)

• Like 1

securitybreach

I know I was just referring to how well it was written and all the info provided. Nicely done

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Sadly, we've now managed to scare Capt. Crow away with all of our friendliness. He's probably not used that on the Internet. :(

• Like 1

securitybreach

I prefer the term AFK (Away from keyboard) as for many of us, cyber life is real life.

abarbarian

Hiya Capt Crow. Welcome to the forums, glad to have you here :thumbup:

What Eric forgot to mention in his opening essay was, that he is one of the biggest slackers here. or maybe he was going to mention it at a later date. :Muahaha:

• Like 2

amenditman

Welcome Capt. Crow.

Yello!

Eric will be glad to have some company in the Slackware dept. here. It's very quiet in there, everything is just so darn stable. :shifty:

• Like 1

Capt.Crow

I'm 66 in june . That makes me 666 this year. :alien: :alien: :alien: So believe me an old tar like me just don't scare easy..

That said thank you all for the good welcome . .I did have an idea about the Eric re Slack . Call it sailors intuition.

Capt. Crow ummm Well I love all things maritime and keep a little sailboat ,one day in a harbour many miles away while weatherbound this crow came every evening when I was sitting in the cockpit having a cuppa and sat chortling on the horseshoe lifering. He came even when I was riding to anchor in the teeth of a strong easterly gale for three days nonstop . So I made him skipper and thats how I remember how nature Rules ,nurtures,destroys and rebuilds and gives us our being.

. Bruno's tips are mega. 4hrs can pass in a flash just reading them.

Where do I ask questions . \

• Like 2

amenditman

Post your questions in the appropriate forum. Scot's > Forums (tab below header)

Bruno's All Things Linux is for... Linux topic

Mobility for Android, iOS, etc.

Hardware ..

Well, you get the point.

The Restaurant at the Edge of the Universe is for off-topic, anything goes (within the rule of course).

And don't worry over much about posting in the wrong place, someone will set it right and let you know why.

Edited by amenditman
  • Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

GO NAVY!

We have a few Navy folks around here. And some civilian sailors as well. They come and go. Two that I can think of right off are Longgone (Dale) and wa4chq (Neil). Oh, and how could I forget our very own active-duty seaman, ross549 (Adam). :)

Yeah, I'm a slacker... as in running Slackware Linux. There used to be quite a few of us around here, but lately I'm feeling a lot like the Maytag repairman. Oh, well... Slack ain't for everyone. Scaredy-cats!

scaredy-kitten.jpg

Let the fun begin! :w00tx100:

• Like 1

Capt.Crow

That guy looks like Capt.Sparrow's greatgrandaddy. No way..lol. ASIC I will crop one of my boat and u/ld that as my avatar .

But many thanks for the offer.

• Like 3

Capt.Crow

Hi Ross ex faa .here handler . Got drummed . So started my own Navy. Home port nxt nth of Skerries .. Google street view. :pirate: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Capt.Crow

Well I am in the centre of a disaster zone..Debian box is messing me about . And Konqueror will not go full screen on this the Slackware box . So Here I am with Seamonkey . Before I even had a chance to check it out . So all this is on the fly.

Edited by Capt.Crow

Capt.Crow

again, this should be posted in the "bruno's all things linux" section

the section in which you post is for non-technical, often trivial stuff! :)

Done and dusted ..

• Like 1

amenditman

...nothing moderate about temmu... always over-the-top, when possible... :o :D

When has it ever been not possible.

Keep it up, that's the way we like it.

Capt.Crow

I'm Out Of Sorts tonite .. Just brought a good buddy down to the docks to join his ship . Its an open ended trip . So dunno when I get to share scuttlebutt with him again .

• Like 1