Really Bad Advice

Jeber

This one.I started it. Therefore it is mine. It started in the Forum Test area. Basically, I was bored at work one night, and trolled for responses. There are a few of us the SFNL forums that are nightcrawlers like me. So far, the thread has served as a place to say "hey" at 0330.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeber

• teacher

• BoardFlak

• pc-tecky

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm strangely suspicious of your intent Ross....Uhm, no discription given but to simply click here on "This one."What kind of trap would I be visiting?What dramatic effect will it have on my life?

He meant it in the nicest way
Yes, indeedy I did. :shifty: No infliction of pain intended. That's the first "bad" advice I've given that won't cause chaos if followed.

Guest LilBambi

Ah, the old question! Is it better in the mind to get a few hours sleep or to get a good grade that may follow us all through our life ..... LOL!I always try to do the best job I can and if that means missing a little sleep (hmmmm, at 11:55AM! Isn't today a school day in your area??) LOL! :thumbsup: :D

pc-tecky,Are you "attendance challenged"?If so, you are a member of a minority group. The school must make special arraingments for you Stand up for your right to be absent. Frequently. :blink:

pc-tecky,Are you "attendance challenged"?If so, you are a member of a minority group.  The school must make special arraingments for you  Stand up for your right to be absent.  Frequently. ;)
And to think a couple of my students signed on to the forum yesterday. I am going to have to tell them the water cooler is off limits. Some of my students are already attendance challenged - Mondays, Fridays, Party Days, Court Days, Bad Hair Days, Leaving Home Days, My Ride Couldn't Wake me Up Days, Hangover Days....... >_<We have special arrangements - it is called you have to make up day for day for what you were absent over 5 or no grade. :)

Yeah, well, hopefully I'm well past high school seeing how I've graduated and stuff. Either that or I've been attending what I thought was college what's actually a high school all this time. :) Not too bad if I don't say so myself. :) Don't you just wish you could be 16 all over again knowing what you know now?? ;) :whistling:Uhm, teacher, you know that by saying the water cooler is off limits will only encourage them to wander the halls seeking high and low of this fine institution, right?

So far my strategy has been to pretend it does not exist. By the way daughter's college has a policy of more than 3 absences - no grade. So it is not just high schools that do that. And with the big dollars I am paying, it suits me fine! ;)

It doesn't exist? :D Keep on dreaming. ;) :w00t: Just three or no grade? B) What on earth could be that important? Over what kind of time frame? Quarter, Trimester, or Semester? Remind me not to enroll there. Sorry, I have a long history with bronchitus and pnuemonia. Ouch, harsh, very harsh - at least to me it is. :thumbsup: Do they not care about funerals or people with illnesses? Sorry, but when they put a cap on things like that and say, that'd do them. I got to wonder what the problem is? what are they trying to fix? But time frame would also be signifigant. It's like its designed to set people up with the mentality to work 24x7 without gripe, rest, or complaints because Joe Does Well can and that's what's expected. With that as my thought, I just don't buy into it very well from my point of view. I must resist!!!

BlackFireNova

JeberMy wife has been the IT Administrator at a large company for 6 years. Now they have decided to bring in a CIO, and have passed her over and hired a consultant to determine the state of IT at the company, and to "chart the course" of IT for the company. This jerk has now gone from outside consultant to "Temporary CIO", and is effectively her supervisor. My wife has built the IT for the company from 2 exteral sites, to 45 External sites, without anyone but herself in IT, and has done a superior job, without help, thanks, or adaquate compensation.Inspiried by the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I'm tempted to do surgery on the CEO, and this consultant, to see what's corrupted their RAM and HDD! I'm concerned about the mess, though, and wondered if you have alternate advice?BFN :thumbsup:

You'd have to read back to the first page of this thread for our "best" bad advice in these circumstances...invite both of them over to Stryder's house...at night...in the backyard...borrow Stryder's shovel...follow your instincts...Don't worry about the neighbor, he won't be a problem (not since about page 2)...Let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

Jeber,How wide spread is this PHP drug that the bbspot mentions? What would the chance be that I'd get addicted?Life's a RPG Game? Have you any experience with this method of rehab? I was thinking about trying this out, but I think a support group might be helpful as well. What would you recommend?I eluded to this a few posts back.... Link from bbspotI was afraid of something like line #43 was happening, I just didn't want to say it.So my suspicions way back when are now confirmed. I always thought... oh, what's her name??? >_< Well, anyways, she was... well, rather mature looking. No harm and no foul, right?

Guest LilBambi

Jeber, how insightful! ;) :w00t: >__ BlackFireNova,I am so sorry to hear that! It is amazing that companies can be so insensitive and have such short memories.If she is as upset as many folks might get under those circumstances, I wonder if it might not be a good idea to maybe start looking for a new job before she ends up getting so angry with them that she tells the boss and her new 'supervisor' where to get off! And believe me, I wouldn't blame her if she did ... it just may not look good on the 'ole resume, if you know what I mean. :ph34r: I knew this guy once that had a similar thing happen. When he decided enough was enough (before he said anything he would regret), he gave his proper notice. He had apparently thought out his timing because he left the job well before the college whipper snapper (that had become his boss) had really learned ALL the ins and outs of the job (that would have taken a very long time, if you have known any college grads that have no common sense or feel that certain jobs are beneath them), but not before the whipper snapper had sold all kinds of 'sounds great' but absolutely stupid ideas for the department to the management.Anyway, after he left the company, the whipper snapper would call him on the phone every day or two to ask advice on the many critical problems that come up all the time in that type of business. He did manage to get him to stop calling though, and never had to get nasty or say not to call here anymore or anything like that.The last time he heard from the whipper snapper, he intentionally left out a very important, obvious, but 'tiny detail' for one of these critical issues, (and in this case apparently every detail was needed). Anyway, the guy finally got the hint and he never heard from him again after that.

Guest LilBambi
Jeber,How wide spread is this PHP drug that the bbspot mentions? What would the chance be that I'd get addicted?Life's a RPG Game? Have you any experience with this method of rehab? I was thinking about trying this out, but I think a support group might be helpful as well. What would you recommend?I eluded to this a few posts back.... Link from bbspotI was afraid of something like line #43 was happening, I just didn't want to say it.So my suspicions way back when are now confirmed. I always thought... oh, what's her name???  >_pc-tecky! That was great! OK, just had to pick myself up off the floor after laughing so hard I fell off the chair! :ph34r: Thanks! Everyone needs a good belly laugh every now and then! >_

It doesn't exist? :D Keep on dreaming.  :)  :) Just three or no grade? :) What on earth could be that important? Over what kind of time frame? Quarter, Trimester, or Semester? Remind me not to enroll there.
Three a quarter. And yes they understand illnesses and emergencies and can excuse those. Daughter had a lot of neurological appointments and had no problems with the professors as long as she explained her absences. It keeps parents from spending $10,000 a quarter for a kid to sit in the dorms....Actually one professor told one of her classes that an extra Friday session was mandatory for everyone but my daughter and she was not allowed to attend because she was so far ahead of the others simply because she was following the syllabus and staying current. pc-tecky Resumes don't mean a thing without real practical experience. Knowledge without application is not nearly as valuable as practical experience. Smart places know that!

Cluttermagnet
Link from bbspotI was afraid of something like line #43 was happening, I just didn't want to say it.So my suspicions way back when are now confirmed. I always thought... oh, what's her name???  :) Well, anyways, she was... well, rather mature looking. No harm and no foul, right?
A wonderful time-waster website. Clicking up The News tab brought me to this item in the weekly summary:
Crises in the WorkplaceIn August, computer technician Goran Andervass received the equivalent of US$100,000 as settlement of his wrongful-firing lawsuit against Riksbanken, the Swedish national bank, over a 2001 incident that began when a colleague, meeting with him in his Stockholm office, ostentatiously passed gas. Andervass became very upset and started shouting at the man. Supervisors cautioned Andervass, who began a downward emotional spiral and began to take abundant sick leave, leading to further sanctions and eventually to his dismissal. (Aftonbladet (Stockholm)-The Guardian (London), 9-2-03)
It's all those darned glass doors and walls that have become fashionable in the corporate world. Far worse than even the dreaded fabric cubicle walls. You get visibly red- faced and shake your fist at someone, it's going to alarm folks, especially in banks, where they are hypervigilant and always so worried about getting robbed. This week's special contest:Fill in the blank- "People who work in glass offices should not _______."Judging by the Human Resources and Legal staff at International Bank of Sweden, Domestic Division, whose decision is final.The winner gets an all expenses paid whirlwind tour of Stockholm and will be treated to a marvelous dinner featuring Meatballs in Sour Grapes Sauce, catered by several former industry HR geniuses. Note: Entries referring to scratching and human anatomy will be automatically disqualified. Be forewarned, bankers and HR people have only a very limited sense of humor. :D :)

Guest LilBambi
Fill in the blank- "People who work in glass offices should not _______."
Hmmmm, walk barefoot (possible broken glass)? sneeze while looking out the window ?What? :D

"People who work in glass offices should not _______."
Well... the easy answer is that they shouldn't make out with their secretaries, but don't think that's the real answer... :) How about, put nails in the wall? :D

Mini skirts are just fine. :D It's just when they choose not so wisely to leave other necessities at home. :) Is it ok to say under where? :devil:Hmm, shoes, boots, stones, bricks, hammers, brooms, etc., nothing of certain mass or velocity should be directed at glass.