Really Bad Advice

Jeber

Jeber, I am now facing perhaps one of the most difficult problems that one would be capable of facing.Tonight, for no reason whatsoever, I downloaded an iso of a Linux distro and burned it. I have no intention of installing it (yet). Why did I waste an hour of my life on this useless excersise?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeber

• teacher

• BoardFlak

• pc-tecky

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we need a support group for this, cause I do the same thing - got distros sitting around that I never installed and I keep downloading the latest ones as they update.

I'm on dialup so I don't download Linux distros, yet - too large. (I get others to down them and burn me a copy). But I do download lots of programs that I think I may one day like to look at. Problem is, I forget what they are for. Do I need a support group for people downloading any sort of program?

Hate to break it to you folks, but you're not suffering from some new and un-named malady particular to computer users. All you're experiencing is one of the oldest of human failings...greed. Yup, good old fashioned greed. "It's free, It's available, I'm gonna get me some." Go to a convention sometime where they're giving away samples. Same thing. At least with downloads, you don't have to fight your way up to a table to grab what you want.But I don't mean to infer that greed is always bad. Bill Gates greed...that's bad. Average downloader greed...not so bad. What you need to do is come up with a justification for it that makes it sound "not greedy". Ross, in your case, that would be, "I'm downloading this distro just in case some dial-upper needs it. I'm helping support the Linux community." See...now you're charitable, thinking of others instead of yourself, a contributor. havnblast, you're stockpiling items that others may need in the future, somewhat like Ross. zlim, I'm afraid there's no excuse for downloading programs then not using them. You're just greedy. :thumbsup: Why would we need a support group? Isn't that what the forum is for? ;)

Guest LilBambi

LOL! ;) I download programs and stockpile CDs in case my clients or friends need a program to safe them time and effort (and sometimes money). Yeah, that's it. :ph34r:Oh, yeah .. I also install bazillions of programs on both my Windows and Linux computers .... so I can review them LOL!

Edited by LilBambi

Maybe we need a support group for this, cause I do the same thing - got distros sitting around that I never installed and I keep downloading the latest ones as they update.
LOL, there is a support group... it's called the psychiatric ward :thumbsup: On second thoughts, perhaps we could start a chapter of DA (downloaders anonymous) in the forums :blink: There must be some way to stop this conpulsive behaviour!

Hey, JeberThis here forum is supposed to email me when there's a reply posted. It does it occasionally, but not most of the time.Is this because I'm Downunder? :teehee: What can I do? Should I write to Scot? Should I just forget it? Have I missed something? Have all those hours online fried my brain (such as it was)? Hey, perhaps I could download a new brain!Any ideas? :unsure:

First Ziba, let me say how sorry I am to hear you're "downunder". That sounds serious. What exactly, may I ask, are you down under? If by chance it is a large, immovable object, say a truck, or a ship from elsewhere in the galaxy...you first need to stop posting here and call 911. They may be able to rescue you in time. They have the equipment to get you back up top again. Our forum's emergency equipment all got left at LilBambi's house after Isabel, and no one has returned it to the emergency locker here at SFNL HQ yet.As to the email situation: I've been asked to keep quiet about this, but since I'm sure you'll respect this forum's privacy and not share this info with anyone else (it's just between you and me), I'll tell you that this forum has been quite depressed lately, and keeping up with sending emails is a very low priority with it right now. As you may have heard, recently this forum was moved from it's original Windows server to a Linux server. Other forums, still being hosted on Windows servers, have been giving this forum a lot of grief over the move. You see, it's not just users who get into Windows vs. Linux debates. Web sites, blogs, forums...they all have their own opinions on which OS is the best to be hosted on. And now none of this forum's former friends, all hosted on Windows servers, will speak to this forum, in fact will have nothing to do with this forum at all. This is very upsetting to this forum. I'm sure, with time, this forum will get over this, it may even find new friends among the other Linux hosted forums. But don't try to tell that to this forum right now. It doesn't want to hear it. This forum is too busy wallowing in self pity. If the situation is really annoying you, you may wish to post a note in the "Forum Feedback" thread to let the admin's know about it. If nothing else, perhaps we can stuff some Prozac into this forum and once it's mood improves, we can get it to start sending your emails again. Perhaps not. Who knows?Finally, under no circumstances attempt to download a new brain. It cannot be done, at least on your planet. If you know for sure that your brain is flash-upgradeable, you may find an update on the manufacturer's website. However, if you attempt to upgrade a brain that isn't able to do that, you may be worse off than before. You could wake up one morning and not be able to boot your brain at all. Or it may start normally, but then erupt with nonsense data and shut down, or worse, give you the BSOD. That's bad enough on your computer...imagine what it's like when it happens to your brain. You'd be better off just doing a full defrag, then double checking the settings on your brain...making sure most are set to default. Unless you're a brain surgeon, or have extensive experience with LSD, attempting to upgrade or tweak your brain can result in a brain that fails to operate properly, or fails to operate at all. And keep in mind, that upgrading or tweaking your brain most likely will void your warranty and prevent you from receiving brain updates in the future. Brains are not toys to be played casually with...they are complex machines that always exist just an inch from total breakdown. Exercise caution at all times when working with your brain. Follow the manufacturer's guidelines...wear all required safety gear...and eliminate static before opening your head and touching your brain. Failure to do so may result in shock and even death. Hope this helps. Feel free to post back for additional advice.

Wow! I asked for ideas and got an encyclopedia... thanks Jeber!Downunder (otherwise known as The Antipodes, or Australia) refers to my geographical location on the bottom half of the globe. I don't really need any emergency equipment - unless you think I need to be rescued from The Lucky Country. I'm actually happy here, although it would be nice to be a little closer to the rest of civilisation. Then again, I wouldn't want this to happen again!The forum has my sympathy... I too suffer from depression. I could probably spare a few of my Zoloft tablets if you think that would help. The side-effects are quite severe for some people, though, so we'd need to be careful. I don't want the forum going berserk and stopping us posting or something.Following your advice I've decided not to try to download a new brain. The risks are too immense. Heaven knows I need all the brainpower I can get but I don't want to risk losing what I've got! I did consult the Manufacturer's Handbook (my Bible) and it made reference to renewing my mind, so I reckon I'll try that instead.Oh, man, it's nice to have someone wise like you handy, Jeber! :w00t:

Pssst.... over here....I think we've upset the forum. It's stopped sending me emails again B) Should we hold a benefit concert or something? You know... gather around the water cooler...

That would be a possibility, but I've got to warn you, this forum does not really care for Willy Nelson's music. So we couldn't do a proper "Forum-aid" concert. Maybe Sting?...

I can't say for sure, but someone is buying his albums. Perhaps Willy himself. It most certainly is not this forum. In fact, I've been informed that this forum has some Barry Manilow CD's it's desperate to get rid of. So I wouldn't consider Barry for host of the concert either.Maybe we should consider a group hug. Therapy as opposed to support.

Yeah, that might work.Er, Jeber, sorry to change the subject, but this might be very important. Have you heard of this?It's pretty scary -- not to mention dangerous! I'm using XP, but I haven't found this MSFlight feature yet. Oh, hang on, what's this icon?WheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeWhoa... that's amazing! Er, I'm up here folks... ;)

Ziba, one need never apologize for changing the subject in the Cooler. It's a daily occurance. Keeps things interesting. Besides, when I'm not handing out advice, this topic is up for grabs.I'm glad you're enjoying this little known feature of XP. Personally, I had to delete it. I have a ceiling fan right over my desktop PC. 'Nuff said. B)

Guest LilBambi

Wow, those special icons get a lot of use these days LOL! :( Jeber, I don't blame you for not using that feature with a ceiling fan over your computer! That could get pretty messy !! B)

All,I am a driver underpriveleged person running at 640x480x16 colors. I think this forum needs to cater to those of us who have not installed display drivers in our fresh windows install yet.I find this forum to be far to difficult to read, and in many instances, far too wide. Is there something that can be done?

It's a good thing to use your scroll bars for a while after a fresh install. New scroll bars can be stiff and unresponsive. By having to scroll constantly as you try in vain to read an entire post you're helping loosen up the scroll bars and get them in operational form. Then, when you really need them later, they won't get stuck or refuse to work. WD-40 will also work well, but gets a little messy when sprayed on the screen.

I was thinking along those lines, Jeber..... however, I don't spend much time in windoze anymore. I just love the look, sound, and smell of KDE so much more.Since I am not in windoze much, and I have to use WD40 to keep those scrollbars running smoothly, what would you recommend to keep my monitor clean? Saran wrap??

Ross...you mock me? Saran wrap? Don't be silly. Just use a power washer once a month to keep it shiny and new. Be sure and spray into the back well, that's where all the dust hangs out, and dead electrons, as well.

Jeber, I did not intend to mock you, it is just.... well, odd for me to store a power washer in a barracks room. I think we will have to think of something else

It isn't any more odd than some things I've seen stored in the barracks. :( But yes, I suppose we should rethink this. (Did I think about this in the first place??) ;)

Well, I would consider putting a power washer in my barracks closet, but I would run into problems with space. I would probably have to remove my portable inflatable decontamination chamber, my fullsize wood model of a Joint Strike Fighter, or maybe my NAS server rack. I really like these items, and don't want to get rid of them just to make room for a power washer.The decon chamber comes in handy once in a while.... :( :( :)

Well, there you go! Decon the monitor. Didn't they promise you in basic that Uncle Sam would provide you with everything you need in life? If the decon doesn't do it, we'll discuss related NBC possibilities. :shifty:We can't use biological, chemical...maybe. But nuclear holds the most promise.

Well, I thought of that, Jeber, but it presents yet another problem..... The chamber is far too small for the monitor. It was designed to be used by nice.

You're just trying to make this difficult, aren't you? B) OK, my best, worst advice...with all the money you're saving on rent, utilities and the like...just buy a new monitor every time the old one gets dirty. Donate the old one to a school. Get the donation receipt. You get the write-off, and the school can ask here how to clean the monitor. Then we can start all over again.

You're just trying to make this difficult, aren't you?  >_< OK, my best, worst advice...with all the money you're saving on rent, utilities and the like...just buy a new monitor every time the old one gets dirty.  Donate the old one to a school.  Get the donation receipt.  You get the write-off, and the school can ask here how to clean the monitor.  Then we can start all over again.
You could provide delivery service my way. I know a small, needy school just an hour and a half away! I am sure my students could come up with several methods to decon the monitor!