Linux and Me

SonicDragon

Good. Glad to hear that you are having fun. If you want to set up the looks some go to Configuration, KDE and then to Look and Feel. Explore all your options there. Then go look at the different browsers available under Internet. I know you are familiar with Firebird but look at the specific to Linux browsers. I use Galeon as a browser. I don't have any problems with text size and it does the tabs like Firebird. Find one you like. Also look at the mail programs. I prefer evolution. I have multiple accounts set up wtih different download rates and no problems. It is nice. You can spend hours getting to know it all. I know, because I have spent two months leanring everything there. To get hte basics is quick, but you can dig in until your family screams to pull you away from that addictive computer. Let us know your thoughts.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SonicDragon

• Bruno

• teacher

• Peachy

SonicDragon
How do you want to boot ?? Default Windows ?? Or default Mandrake ??
I guess it doesn't really matter. I guess i should default to windows to make it easy for others here, but, if it's any trouble, i don't mind making mandrake the defaut.

Sonic it is no trouble at all ! There is even a GUI to do it . . . . Julia will explain that, she´s good with GUI ! :DB) Bruno

Changing the default is easy. Rememer that file that you posted? A simple little * indicates which is the default. Bruno will walk you through how to change that. If I were you, while in there I would move the other one up to the second item in the menu so you don't have to take too long to make your changes. That way, if you want default to be windows, you will add the * there and then move your Mandrake to the second item in the list so you don't have to go very far to switch! Are you ready to tackle changing it?

SonicDragon

Yea i'm ready :)I did a cat /etc/lilo.conf and i don't see a * anywhere. I do have a default="linux" though. Should i just change that to be "windows"?

I'm elected so here goes.Remember the Mandrake Control Center where you went to do the software update? Top of the list is boot! When you click on that the right hand side says "Drakboot helps you set up how your computer boots." We willl go there.After you click on the Drakboot you will see on the top line "Lilo/grub mode." In that section you will select the configure button. It will open to your default settings. You will just select the okay at the bottom. At this point it will disappear for a bit and then it will reopen a small window and it will ask you to insert disk 1. I don't know why, I always hit cancel and it works fine. At this point you click on the item you want to edit. If you want to edit your Mandrake, you will select that followed by the modify button. At the bottom of the new screen will be a box to select to tell it to make it default. Check the box and tell it okay. That will change your default and you can exit out and save. I think you will have to go into a vi editor to change the order of things because I don't know a way to change the order in the menu here other than to remove an item and then add an item. That is a little more than you want to do at this point probably. So just go ahead and modify the one you want as default and then save your changes. It is that simple! :D

I'm a little slow at these things. I like to go back and check to make sure I don't leave any steps out. I have learned to not uhurry because it is easy for me to leave out steps. My mind races too fast! :D

Good work Julia !!!Now Sonic just do that and do not change the order . . that way if lilo comes up and you do nothing it will boot Windows . . . and if you hit enter as lilo comes up it will boot Mandrake because it is first in the list . . . . that is the simplest set up you can have . . . . no more arrow keys . . . ;)Hit enter = MandrakeHit nothing = WindowsB) Bruno

SonicDragon

Ok that changed the defaut to windows :)I'm not very good with vi at all. How do u move stuff around?(thanks for the tip teacher :D)---------------------------------------Woops, i did not see your last post bruno. No moving needed :D

Edited by SonicDragon

We do not move stuff around in vi this time Sonic . . it´s okay this way . . !Lilo:Hit enter = MandrakeHit nothing = Windows:D :DB) Bruno

Hit enter = MandrakeHit nothing = Windows
Brilliant Bruno. Simply Brilliant! After looking at Bruno's post it dawned on me that you no longer needed to move anything around. We will save Vi for later. It works like a text editor but you can use the buttons at the top to cut and paste. You just have to remember that where ever the rectangle is, that is where you will be. The mouse can throw you off in vi.

Go off and test it Sonic . . we want to be sure it works !! First boot Windows and then come back to Mandrake . .:D Bruno

One arrow down works. It must have automatically moved the default to the top of the list. You can do one without getting lost counting. Not that we can't count, it is just easy to be distracted. :D Now that we have that issue settled, what do you want to tackle next? Have you configured it how you want it to look yet? What is your first priority?

That´s good Sonic . . leave it that way . . apparently the GUI tool has moved Windows on top . . . let´s call it quits for today . . . I had too much champagne anyway . . . . go explore your Mandrake and have fun . . if any questions come up you know where to reach me . . :D:D Bruno

It looks like we both reached the same conclusion. I guess it is getting late in Amsterdam. I might be awake just a little longer:D so have fun exploring and post away with your questions.

Glad to hear it. Have fun exploring. Bruno is right. This probably was as much as one can handle in one day. We don't want to achieve burn out before you explore too much. Have fun. :D

SonicDragon

Humm well after playing around a little, i'd say it's much much slower than XP :(I'm using 221 MB or memory out of 250 MB with just Galeon and the system moniter open. Is that normal?CPU usage is normal....There is a big pause if i try to open any program up. In fact, Evolution won't open under Gnome...I've had to use X Kill like 5 times and already crashed linux :) I'm not giving up on this, but i do have to get some sleep :D see you all in the morning.