Linux and Me

SonicDragon

If there is any way to get into the BIOS that would be the best . . just give us the brand and we will see what the routine should be . . it´s different for each brand . . . DEL is the most used . . . If there is no way to get in the BIOS then just go for it like this.:) Bruno

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SonicDragon

• Bruno

• teacher

• Peachy

Flat panel should be no problem . . . . can you hit F2 as the screen comes up ?? Do you see then a whole lot of boot options ??:) Bruno

Would it not be more accurate to ask which Bios variety he has? Wouldn't that determine how it is entered? Just tell me if I am way off base! Hopefully F2 worked and he is happily installing. I checked on my daughter's machine since it does the splash screen to hide the start up and F2 worked on it. :)

SonicDragon

I have a Gateway.I tried F2 bruno, when the installer started up, and i did get lots of options. I don't know which one to choose though.But u say i should do F1 instead?

No F2 is correct then after all . . . wait give me time to find the right code to type at the prompt !:) Bruno

Once you get into your BIOS through the F2 button, you can go through the various trees and look for a line or a menu that says boot options. Some have a drop down menu for boot and others but it in some of the different menus. You can always exit without saving. Once you find the right page to set your boot options, then you simply change the boot order to start with your CD drive first, then your floppy, and then your hard drive. That gives you the ability to install from the CD, recover from the floppy, and boot normally from the hard drive. You can do it. We are rooting for you. :)

Look for an option with ¨noapic¨ or ¨noapg¨ . . . .if you give me more time I can be more acurate !:) Bruno

SonicDragon

Teacher: I don't think we are trying to get into the BIOS anymore. We are tryint to infd an option that will fix my screen. Cause the cd starts up fine, with out me changing the bios.Bruno: I will write those down and try.

Sonic a few options to try:vgahinoapiclinux vga=0noagpAll those at the prompt when you press F2 or F1 ( seems they are more or less the same, that´s why I got mixed up :) ):) Bruno

Sorry, I missed that! Things just are happening too fast! It is baffling that the flat screen would cause problems with the drake. It hasn't with mine so this is greek to me, or should I say "geek" to me! :) Bruno to the rescue???

No problem Julia, glad you are there to think with us . . Sonic,Found another one you could try:noacpiB) Bruno

More:linux noapiclinux pci=noapiclinux ide=nodmaWAIT has it over 1GB RAM?trylinux mem=<enter amount here>:) Bruno

FYI - future referenceF1 to enter the BIOS [Gateway systems using Phoenix BIOS]ADVANCED setup hard disks under IDE ConfirgurationBOOT selects start up Boot Options - by default set to CD-RomF-10 Save & exit

I'm busy running around trying to respond and you get in Sonic! Congratulations! Way to go!

We should set up a little database . . . . Julia . . ???
A little database. Okay, I will go run all around my house and my classroom and figure out all of those. That will give us 2 flavors of Dell, three flavors of self built, and two flavors of anitques. Hmmmmm. Then you go figure out all of yours. Have everyone add in. This could get confusing real quick. Isn't there already a place with a lot of this information? Tom's Hardware Guide?

SonicDragon

HUmm... it was the "low resolution install code" i think. i don't remember which one it was.But... i'm not seeing windows :D It's not in the boot loader, which i can barely see because that still flashes...Is there a comand that i can use to see all my partitions and drive set ups etc?Starting to get alittle worried about winodws ... :(

Julia in the Hardware forum there is a thread . . with all the info we want in that database . . . don´t remember who was the last one having these problems . . but it is there . . Sonic . . . . I just lost 10 kilo´s man ! What a thriller this was . . . . GREAT you did get it done Sonic !!:D Bruno

As long as you did not put your Mandrake in HDA in a windows partition you are okay! We will work through this. Don't worry. The family won't kill you! Bruno will protect you! :D

We will add Win in the bootloader . . . . . did you go through the whole install ?? Did you set passwords and things like that ??Do you get a KDE desktop ??:D Bruno

I watched it create partitions on hdb...I'm happy ii'm in linux though :D
This sounds good Sonic . . . . we will solve the other problem(s) . . . . . don´t worry !!:( Bruno