Linux and Me

SonicDragon

Okay Sonic now let´s see where we begin . . . . you´re on-line in Mandrake ??Open a console and typecat /etc/lilo.confand copy the output in a post !:D Bruno

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SonicDragon

• Bruno

• teacher

• Peachy

SonicDragon

No i think it's FAT32, even though it's XP. Not 100% sure though. I looked in the controll center and windows is still on hda and linux is on hdb :D

SonicDragon

boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="linux"keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off quiet" vga=785 read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux-nonfb" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="failsafe" root=/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=nomount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off failsafe" read-onlyother=/dev/hda1 label="windows" table=/dev/hdaother=/dev/fd0 label="floppy" unsafe

Julia in the Hardware forum there is a thread . . with all the info we want in that database . . . don´t remember who was the last one having these problems . . but it is there . .
This thread is the one you were referring to I believe? SonicIf you have a FAT32 drive it is a piece of cake! No problem. We will take care of it. Just post your output for Bruno and we will all take a look.

SonicDragon

HUmm... it seems to be that windows is in there. maybe i'm missing it in lilo. i can barely see it because it's flashing.

Julia,Yes that is the thread !! Good ! :DSonic:Good news ! Windows is in your Lilo !! :( :)Now as soon as lilo pops up . . I know it flickers . . but hit the arrow down key . . that will give you time to choose, in total you have to press the arrow down 4 times and then hit enter ( so 3 more ) then it will boot windows . . . go on try it !!:D Bruno

The windows is definitely there. Now I guess it is time to tackle the monitor. Check our your windows and we will see about the flicker.

SonicDragon

Silly me! how could i have missed it??! Well, windows works just fine :( YAY!!!!!!!!! May i have a link to that registed linux user place? :D

JuliaPlease fill my glass again I´m wild thursty . . .:DSonic . . . . GREAT ! Projects are: get the monitor settings okay . . . . eleminate the flicker at boot . . . . your normal KDE is OK ????Then get the default startup to Windows . . to please your family ! And 1 arrow down for Mandrake !Then resize/repartition /home in small units to fit other distros . . :D :(But first let´s party !!!! :( Bruno

Julia, Thank you my dear . . . . needed that !!Sonic, you deserve it . . .you had to wait so long to get Linux on your system, and have been visiting and reading the Linux forum for months in a row . . . only doing the occasional Live CD . . . . . you really deserve it . . . . . NOW GET YOUR UPDATES !!! :D :DB) Bruno

Tell him how to get the updates. Tell him to click on the blue screen with the red wrench. Then go down to the bottom (the Mandrake Control Center) then go down to the bottom where it says Software Management. The blue icon on the lower left says Mandrake Update. Click on that and do the three that are there.

Julia,He´s been reading so much . . I´m sure he knows how to update . . . . . and what mirrors to pick ( Sssst . . . Dutch mirrors Sonic ) . . . . :D :DMy glass is empty again . . :( Bruno

It's going to take forever though...
In that case we just need some more bottles of champagne . . . . :D :DB) Bruno

I'm putting another one on ice for the occasion. This is startung to add up! Sonic, how are the downloads?champagne.jpg

While you are finishing your updates, how do you like the screen? You did the KDE menu? Have you taken the time to explore around and see what is there?After you get settled in we will take you to the Look and Feel settings and you can make your desktop look as snazzy as you want. We can add different pictures to your background. We can even install a screen saver program that will look much better than the default. You are just getting started on your adventure. Give us some feedback! :D

SonicIs it just the Lilo screen that is flickering ?? Are all other screens OK ?? Do you have all colors or just the 16 color from the install ??:D Bruno

SonicDragon

Yea! I'm having fun exploring ;)Yes, it's only Lilo that is flickering. Everything else is fine. I get the start up text, and KDE runs fine too :D

SonicIf it´s only Lilo we won´t bother . . . . . ( strange though ! )How do you want to boot ?? Default Windows ?? Or default Mandrake ??:D Bruno