Show Us Your GNU/Linux Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

Eric and Breach . . always good for a few nice looking desktops, great job guys :hysterical: Anyway . . . . . here are the auto-changing desktops of Mandriva 2009:Early morning. . . . .01-mini-morning-2009712.png <-- ClickAfternoon. . . . .02-mini-noon-2009726.png <-- ClickEarly evening. . . . .03-mini-evening-2009646.png <-- ClickMiddle of the night. . . . .04-mini-night-2009739.png <-- ClickNote: I am testing a new image-hosting site www.xs.to please let me know if just viewing the images triggers pop-ups or cookies. ( visiting the homepage of xs.to does trigger them )B) Bruno

No problems viewing
Thanks Urmas and Eric . . . Glad to know that xs.to site is a good imagehosting site. The screenshots at flickr do not show on their original size anymore . . . they used to i the past, but they must have changed policy.:hysterical: Bruno

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!This is not a Gnu/Linux desktop image but humour me please! :rolleyes: The picture was taken from the peak of our roof 2 weeks ago by my wife while we were recovering it with metal.snapshot1zt2.th.jpgNow my question is that when I try to configure the desktop in OpenSuSE 11 I get the following message:

Your X server is using the RandR extension at version 1.2 or greater which doesn't have any configuration yet.
I don't even know what my resolution is and I would really like to make the icons smaller. Is there a way to get around it or should I just be patient?P.S. Notice the IE icon. I am playing with CrossOver also. Lotta fun. :thumbsup: Edited by réjean

Hi Sue!It is called South Harbour near Dingwall on a map.It is just north of the Cape Breton Highlands National Park. As you can see we've got very few neighbours. If you ever moved to P.E.I. you would be close enough to visit.

Hi Sue!It is called South Harbour near Dingwall on a map.It is just north of the Cape Breton Highlands National Park. As you can see we've got very few neighbours. If you ever moved to P.E.I. you would be close enough to visit.
Yup, when I lived in PEI, we'd do an overnighter to CB several times over the summer. I can't wait till we move back home so I can make those trips again.:)I have been to the National Park but that was years ago when I was a teen. I think the last time I was in CB was 21 years ago when my daughter was a wee baby. I've got an uncle and several cousins living in the Arachat (sp?) area.

Great view Réjean . . . . beautiful !!

Now my question is that when I try to configure the desktop in OpenSuSE 11 I get the following message: "Your X server is using the RandR extension at version 1.2 or greater which doesn't have any configuration yet."
Do you have the Nvidia drivers installed ?
I don't even know what my resolution is and I would really like to make the icons smaller. Is there a way to get around it or should I just be patient?
Supposing it is for KDE 3.5 and not KDE 4.1 . . . in the KDE Control Center --> Appearance & Themes --> Icons --> Advanced: highlighting "Desktop/Filemanager" you set the box to the right to 22 or even 16 and press "Apply"B) Bruno

Great view Réjean . . . . beautiful !!
Hi Bruno! It sure didn't look that way yesterday. We had 10 cm of snow over the mountains and maybe 4 or 5 cm in the garden. It is slowly melting down and will probably be all gone by tomorrow when we expect a balmy 10 degrees.
Do you have the Nvidia drivers installed ?
I had forgotten about that so I went into Yast and I had installed the 2 Xorg drivers but I just noticed some "nouveau" drivers which I am installing now.
Supposing it is for KDE 3.5 and not KDE 4.1 . . . in the KDE Control Center --> Appearance & Themes --> Icons --> Advanced: highlighting "Desktop/Filemanager" you set the box to the right to 22 or even 16 and press "Apply"
What I have is 3.5.9 release 49.1. I have the bad habit of right-clicking the desktop instead of looking for the KDE Control Center. I changed the icons size from 48 to 22 and they look a lot better now. Thanks Bruno!

Extraordinary view Rejean!I've been in the lower tier of Canadian Provinces but nothing farther East than Quebec.I'm hoping to get to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick on a cruise to Canada and the New England states sometime next fall.You can keep the snow! We were supposed to have snow showers here a few days ago but they didn't appear. Most of the leaves are on the trees and you can't rake or blow them when they are in snow.

I went back into Yast and added some repositories ( including nvidia ) and I can now see what resolution I am using. It is now 1024 X 768 and I'll see how much I can increase it or if I want too.I may start another thread about other settings like using plugins etc. Thanks for your help Bruno.

I may start another thread about other settings like using plugins etc.
LOL . . . Please do because we don't want this thread to go off-topic B) . . . . . :D :DB) Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Kinda' looks familiar?th_winxp_slackshot.png*click for bigger picHeh! I was missing Windows (NOT :) ), so I whipped up this theme. I even have FF and T-bird looking Window-ish. It's pretty neato. :thumbsup: Notice the kicker panel at the bottom. I made my own Win XP kicker panel using Kolourpaint by copying from a Windows screenshot that I found online. I couldn't duplicate the Win XP Start button, so I just picked the green background to simulate it. I was bored while watching the election returns. Boredom is the mother of invention. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
misunderstruck
My xmas 2008 desktop:
I like the xmas.sh output. Well played!Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all of the ATL crew as well! :)Oh, and in the spirit of the thread, my current desktop:desktopoz5.th.pngIt's Ubuntu 8.04 using GNOME with xmonad as the window manager. The background is a picture of either sunrise or sunset on Mars, and I honestly can't remember where I got that picture.

• 2 months later...
securitybreach
e39b6027459345.gifMy dual monitor screenshot. Running:ArchLinux 2009.02Openbox (window manager)Conky-nvidiaWeechat-curses (IRC in second monitor)Tint2 (taskbar)FirefoxMplayer-cliGpodder (podcast)Feh (wallaper setting program)Mpd (music server)Transparent xfce-terminal w/ screenshot info scriptEtc.ThanksBTW Found a new good image hosting,