Show Us Your GNU/Linux Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

Here's my current desktop, on one of my windows computers. The picture was taken by me on May 14, 2010 at Fallingwater.perkScot_links_Current_desktop_0.JPG

Edited by zlim

securitybreach

Sorry to be a pain but lets try to keep the image sizes a bit smaller:

Be considerate of people who have slower Internet connections. An image displayed within a message on Scot's Newsletter Forums should be no wider than 480 pixels. And if you can make the image smaller, please do.Either one of these approaches requires your image to be hosted on another Web server. If you do not have access to another Web server but would like to link to or display an image in a post, please contact a forum moderator for help. While we can't promise to make this possible in all cases, we are working on ways to make it easier.
SFNL's Forum RulesThanks everyone.

I know it needs to be smaller. How do I edit the size of a desktop snapshot? Normally I have no problem with regular pictures, I just don't know how to resize a desktop image but I do need to learn this. (remember this is in windows :thumbsdown: )Okay, I figured out I can edit it at the site it was uploaded to. I did that and posted the thumbnail.

Edited by zlim

securitybreach

Thanks a lot Liz. Most image hosting sites all you to resize the thumbnail. I personally like using http://www.imagebam.com

Powered by dedicated Linux servers. No frogs or beavers inside.
BTW you do not have not resize the actual image just the thumbnail size. Just set the thumbnail size to "Scaled to 180x180".

securitybreach

Here is my newest screenshot that shows off my new router running Linux (in the far right lower corner where it says "DD-WRT"). I can log in via ssh and run whatever commands I like. I bought a 16gb usb drive for my router so I can install all kinds applications.

DD-WRT is a Linux based alternative OpenSource firmware suitable for a great variety of WLAN routers and embedded systems. The main emphasis lies on providing the easiest possible handling while at the same time supporting a great number of functionalities within the framework of the respective hardware platform used.
http://dd-wrt.com/site/indexAs long as you have a compatible router, it is easy to set up. Anyway here are the screenshots:Dirty:444b1983092373.gifClean:ac17d082983239.gifThe reason there is a space in the middle is that I have 2x 20inch monitors but one monitor has a 1600x900 resolution while the other one has a 1680x1050 resolution.

• 2 weeks later...

hehe, looky at this oldie i found laying around my puter. got any oldies laying around? P.S. see if you can guess the distro.de05dd84276691.jpg

Edited by cybormoron

securitybreach
hehe, looky at this oldie i found laying around my puter. got any oldies laying around?
Here is an old screenshot of mine:8b415284283192.jpgBig difference, I went from 1.6gb ram to 8gb ram now. I also went from one 17 inch monitor to 2x20 inch now and I went from 80gb hdd to 3.5tb total space.

aw heck, here's some more oldies while i'm reminiscing. a couple of shots just before i discovered linux.this one is called: 300 horsepower and an independent rear end, lol.83d5fb84282385.jpg in the drivers seat.a7476584282390.jpg nice goat1b9f7084282393.jpg now i've discovered that i can run linux and windows at the same time with vmware player. not too long after this i "dual booted". not long after that i totally committed.e8ae9c84282396.jpg d9c4a284282399.jpg 1d1c5a84282403.jpg fa20d784282407.jpg e0928384282414.jpg

Aghhhh, my eyes are burning. Too many "windows" there.
i thought it might be a good reminder of where we all came from before we found paradise, lol. vmware player was my segue into enlightenment.

securitybreach
i thought it might be a good reminder of where we all came from before we found paradise, lol. vmware player was my segue into enlightenment.
I hear ya :hysterical:. Although, I jumped in head first. I had my college roommate install Mandrake over my XP install and I have never looked back since except for a non-networked gaming partition.

Speaking of Mandriva, here is my latest desktop. A picture my wife took at her sister's place on the day her husband set his lobster traps ( May 15th ). The sunset was spectacular.dscf1978z.th.jpgIt looks a lot like paradise to me cybor, if I may say so.

HI all. Here is me dirty and clean view of Mandy, a slightly altered version of Mandriva 2010. I auto hide the "start" bar and use programs from the main menu as I like to keep a nice clean picture on the desktop. I wouldn't have any icons at all if I could get a hide away dock to work as I want. I use Rocket Dock on XP and it is just fab. Mebees I'll have better luck with the Arch project I'm starting. http://imgur.com/WC8gz :DThe view is across Morecambe Bay and the small picture in the frame is of the last full eclipse of the moon.

Edited by abarbarian

• 1 month later...
securitybreach

Well, believe it or not, I decided to give Gnome a try. I have it setup where I can do most everything with the keyboard and most of the shortcuts are like I had when I ran XMonad. I have alt-p setup to launch my terminal and alt-p to launch the run dialog. Other than that everything is default Gnome except I use Urxvt as my terminal instead of gnome-terminal. I also managed to get 3d effects available for Urxvt which was quite a feat. I also changed the default Gnome icon to a Archlinux icon. I am still tweaking it but here it is:Dirty:be3f3989308654.jpgClean:c7e74f89310924.jpgSo far I am liking the new Gnome except I cannot get used to the windows placement. I am still used to the tiling effect but resizing windows is not that bad I guess. BTW I ran KDE for many years and also Gnome but I have been using a tiling WM for about a year. It is hard getting used to a point/click interface even though I still do most of the stuff from the terminal.

Looks good, SB. Way too many bars in Firefox though. I stick everything in one menubar with Personal Menu and Stop or Reload Button Add-ons, and a tabs bar of course.I tried Gnome a couple times, but always got annoyed when I couldn't do something I knew worked in KDE. :P :lol:

Fresh install of slackware 13.1 on an emachines w3503 and the desktop cube animation almost worked ootb.You would not believe how much work I had to do.I had to turn the feature on and configure it. Man that was hard. :thumbsup: desktopcubefreshinstall.th.pngUploaded with ImageShack.usNot bad for this old machine.

Looks good Alphaomega :thumbsup:
I was hoping since the machine could do the cube that it would also do compiz...but it does not look like that is the case (although compiz-check says everything is OK). I just wish I had a better understanding of all this mess so I would not be going around in circles. LOLIf I'm understanding everything...compiz-check says everything is OK because what it checks is OK...but the open source drivers for the ati xpress 200 only does 2d dri no 3d dri.if I want 3d dri, I would need to use the old (no longer supported) proprietary drivers from ati which does not support the newer xorg. which would mean I would need to either downgrade xorg or use an older version of linux which uses an older xorg, Or I could get a slightly updated graphics card that works with the newer xorg andhas driver support from the manufacturer (the option I went with on the other machine).At least that is the way I'm understanding what I've read online. Please correct me if I'm wrong.Cheers Edited by alphaomega

Here is my latest Mandriva Desktop.http://imgur.com/BsS1E?fullI have the picture frame and the desktop on a changing pattern, desk hourly and frame every ten minutes. Every now and again I get a perfect match. The above shows my view from my backdoor and one of the flowers I grew in the border this year.http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plan...ges/12798.shtml.Plant information above for the green fingered.The blank Plasmoid is a Weather view and every time I have done some updating it stuffs up, this time it is stuffed for good and will not let me connect to a weather provider. I'm not wasting any more time on this Mandy install so no help needed as I will shortly be starting a love affair with Arch. :D

Edited by abarbarian

Guest LilBambi
Here is my latest Mandriva Desktop.http://imgur.com/H6dto.jpgI have the picture frame and the desktop on a changing pattern, desk hourly and frame every ten minutes. Every now and again I get a perfect match. The above shows my view from my backdoor and one of the flowers I grew in the border this year.http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plan...ges/12798.shtml.Plant information above for the green fingered.The blank Plasmoid is a Weather view and every time I have done some updating it stuffs up, this time it is stuffed for good and will not let me connect to a weather provider. I'm not wasting any more time on this Mandy install so no help needed as I will shortly be starting a love affair with Arch. :D
Beautiful! Good luck with Arch! :)

Beautiful! Good luck with Arch! :)
Thanks , your too kind, theys is only quick snaps with me old outdated Cannon.I'll need all the luck I can get. First of I'll have to find me brain then I'll have to figure out how to turn it on :D