Show Us Your GNU/Linux Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

Now I have to pull out the Alaska pictures I took. As soon as we got into Denali we spotted a female moose with two calves. That made the entire trip worthwhile because what I really wanted to see was any moose - male, female, I didn't care. I don't remember if I got a picture. I referred to my travel journal to check what baby moose are called - calves is the proper term.

[snip]If a bull moose is castrated, either by accidental or chemical means, he will quickly shed his current set of antlers and then immediately begin to grow a new set of misshapen and deformed antlers that he will wear the rest of his life without ever shedding again.[/snip]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose ;)

I was just thinking that we should be careful about where we get our information from.Here is an example of what I wanted to relay.That's all!
There's a stuffed white moose in the town hall of a small town near here. I've seen it. :(

Now I have to pull out the Alaska pictures I took. As soon as we got into Denali we spotted a female moose with two calves. That made the entire trip worthwhile because what I really wanted to see was any moose - male, female, I didn't care. I don't remember if I got a picture. I referred to my travel journal to check what baby moose are called - calves is the proper term.
An Aussie friend and her husband spent a month traveling across Canada in 2001 and never saw one moose. She thinks they're just folklore used to entice foreigners to visit North America.LOL

I really wanted to see was any moose - male, female, I didn't care.
:( :hysterical: :hysterical: Welcome here!hirvivaara.gif"Honestly, dad! We done absolutely nuttin' here!"

We were very fortunate. On our day in Denali, we saw everything. Even the tour guide was excited because she got to see a hoary marmot. At least from all the animals we saw, I think that's the one that is rarely seen. Moose are real because this yank has seen them. Though I have never seen a white or albino moose. I was just thrilled to see the brown variety.I looked through my pictures but I don't have a shot of the moose and her calves, though the image lives on in my mind, despite some things fading from my memory. That's one of the reasons I always keep a journal when I travel. Even a mundane day spent driving or riding on a bus or train has a few memorable moments and reading the journal always brings back those forgotten memories.

:(
To fix the horrible...yes, I said horrible...thread drift that happened here...
Hve you been studying Finnish, Sue? The - OK, one - Finnish word for "horrible" is "hirveä". Literal translation "mooselike". Derived from "hirvi" - "moose". A monster? Hirviö ("mooselike critter").Urmas - hirveä hirviö (a horrible monster) :hysterical:

Liz, I'm a journal writer too. I have to be since I usually forget to bring batteries and/or camera with me when I go out.LOLUrmas, I told you I wanted to learn another language. I guess I got further than I thought, eh?

Nice screenshots everyone but how did we get on the moose subject :wacko:
That was kinda my fault. But, in my defense, I did try to get the topic back on track by posting my moose wallpaper. >_< Edited by SueD

Alpha..Were did you get that background? I really like it..

I would but my system does not change very much (other than the background changes every hour).I usually only take snapshots after a major update of some sort...as self evidence that my frankenstein setup actually works.Anyway, here is the most recent.slackware current. kernel 2.6.32.5, kde 4.3.4, xorg 1.4.2, nvidia 71.86.11slackwarecurrentkde434x.th.pngCheers

Alpha..Were did you get that background? I really like it..
?? At this point in time, your guess is as good as mine. LOLBut seriously, it's been so long I forgot where I got it.Most of my wallpapers came from:kde-look.org and gnome-look.orgunder Wallpapers / 1024x768 / Highest Ratingand Commons:Featured picturesHTHCheersfound it here (Silence) Edited by alphaomega

Not sure this will work. I have been having problems with ImageShack in the last few days.61784777.th.pngThis is a watercolour that my wife painted some years ago. It has nothing to do with our own place. I just like the cheerfulness of it.

Edited by réjean

Well, like I said Eric, something has changed at Imageshack in the last few days. I have a link on my portal but when I click on it now I get a " Done " after a while but I don't see anything but a white page. Now if I put Imageshack in the yahoo search I am directed to my own Imageshack.All I wanted was to put a little thumbnail here and have people who want to see it get directed to Imageshack.I'll see if I can change the url, the way it is supposed to be working.

Thanks Eric but I think that in the meantime I had uploaded a new picture to Imageshack and copied and pasted the right kind of link into my post.Anyway, the main thing is that it is now working fine which is the most important.

Edited by réjean

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. You want that "Embed thumbnails of this image - Forums" link. That's the one that makes the thumbnails at I-Shack. :yes: