Show Us Your GNU/Linux Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Josh... COOL Arch wallpaper! :)@ alphaomega... another nice KDE 4 desktop! You're working with Sunrat on this assimilation thing, huh? ;)Here's my plain ol' CentOS shot:centosshot01.th.png

Here is my current shot with a new wallpaper:DIRTY:56f6eb70361256.gifCLEAN:73e8af70361026.gif
Nice and dark. But holy liftin' man, I don't know what half that stuff on your desktop is for! :)
@ Josh... COOL Arch wallpaper! :(@ alphaomega... another nice KDE 4 desktop! You're working with Sunrat on this assimilation thing, huh? ;)Here's my plain ol' CentOS shot:centosshot01.th.png
You call this plane ol'? I think it's nice.

securitybreach

Well Sue, let me break it down for you. To begin with all the terminals are transparent urxvt (rxvt-unicode) consoles. On the left is some output from a config file along with

df -h

which shows the amount free space on my partitions

$ pacman -Qi kernel25 | grep Version

which shows the kernel version. Next to it at the top is MC (midnight Commander) which is a file manager. Below that is a simple script called Archey that shows some useful information, a Arch logo, and takes a screenshot using scrot. On the second screen to the right is my Gnuscreen session. What you see is a weechat (irc) session with 4 channels open. At the bottom of that window, you can see 9 different terminals (0-8). Those are 9 different terminal sessions of which I have different things running on each:0 - Remote SSH session1 - Weechat2 - Centerim (instant messenger)3 - rtorrent4 - Ncmpcpp (MPD music client) 5 - Htop6 - Empty shell7 - Empty shell8 - Empty shellLast but not least, at the very top is Xmobar, which is a minimalistic, text based status bar for Xmonad Window Manager.Hope that helps to clear some of the confusion.

Pffft...right over my head.LOL I did recognize MC (I use it as a file manager all the time) and the terminals on the left. It was everything to the right and on top that confused me. I've never used IRC so that's kind of neat to see. Now off to check those links. Thanks!

securitybreach

Well there are gui IRC applications but I like the terminal ones. Xchat is the most popular gui IRC application for Linux and should be installed by default in most every distro or atleast in the repositories. Also, IRC has been around since 1988 on BBSs (Bulletin Board Systems) before the present-day Internet. http://daniel.haxx.se/irchistory.html

I may have gone a wee bit nuts with the glass balls...slack13xfceshot17.th.png
Nice. What are you using to create the glass balls?Gimp and manually doing all the steps yourself?Gimp using the sphere designer filter?Are you following a tutorial?Just curious...Cheers

V.T. Eric Layton

alphaomega,Nah... much easier than that --> Google Image search, then manipulate someone else's glass orbs. Oooh... that doesn't sound right, does it? :hysterical:

meet the new desktop. same as the old desktop except that it's gnome, hehe. this is mandriva 2010.0 gnome 2.28 w/ compiz on my dual monitors. i get endless hours of enjoyment from spinning that cube. this latest version seems to run smoother on this old 'puter. my dual monitors makes it appear strange tho. it doesn't rotate exactly on center. i've seen it have a cube on each screen or it would look like an octagon on previous installations. this one is just plain off center.cd2c0871086482.gif87467a71086484.gifdf801771086485.giferic...i just recently created a local html file and set my browser home page to it. i only have a couple of links on a plain white background. would you like to share your html source code? i'd like to see how you aligned your headings and links and also how you referred to a background image. i know how to make a link anchor but not how to align them.

V.T. Eric Layton

WOW! Kinda' makes my latest Mandriva look kinda' cheesy. :(Seriously, though... NICE, Steve! :(

securitybreach

Nice Steve!! :P It is kind of odd the way the cubes are stretched :blink:Also, I like the fire wallpaper. Could you upload it for me?

thanks guys

WOW! Kinda' makes my latest Mandriva look kinda' cheesy. sad.gif
i likes my desktops all covered with cheese. :P flame skydomefound on this sitespecifically herei don't know what distinguishes a skydome from a plain jpg/png image. i suppose they are interchangeable. some skydomes are animated which probably means it's a different file format, i'm guessing.the flame wallpaper comes from here.i think the cube deviation is because i have mismatched monitors. a 1920x1200 w/ 1600x1200.here's an old shot of 2 1600x1200's that show a cube on each screen. notice it's also an octagon instead of a cube.1204b971180199.gif

securitybreach

I think the skydome images are just larger images and nothing else. I would imagine the animated ones are different though. I have not played with Compiz in a few years. So I dunno what has changed. Thanks for the wallpaper though.

i'd like to see how you aligned your headings and links and also how you referred to a background image. i know how to make a link anchor but not how to align them.
The best way is to use box layout with CSS. See http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/ and http://www.glish.com/css/, The easiest way to do this is to steal someone else's layout, delete the contents and replace with your own. :"> :wacko:

securitybreach

Is it getting hot in here or is it just me?thumb-EF65_4B95D941.jpgSorry I had to find another image uploading site because the image was large (4mb). I think it may have to do with the detail of the wallpaper since I have uploaded many screenshots with no problem.

V.T. Eric Layton

Is that KDE, by the way? That's a great wallpaper for the Demon from H3LL KDE. :' />kde-demon.png

Is that KDE, by the way? That's a great wallpaper for the Demon from H3LL KDE. :">
Now you're getting silly. :wacko: Edited by sunrat

securitybreach
Is that KDE, by the way?
Of course not, I only run lightweight environments. Remember Eric, there are people here who run and enjoy KDE 4.x. Just because we do not like it, does not mean we should bash it. Lets try to be nice ;)

V.T. Eric Layton
Of course not, I only run lightweight environments. Remember Eric, there are people here who run and enjoy KDE 4.x. Just because we do not like it, does not mean we should bash it. Lets try to be nice ;)
*sulking*OK. sadwalk.gif

Yup, it's a process:theoutcast.jpg"Natural and super-natural, temporal and eternal - continuums, not absolutes." :P
Maybe I was confusing Eric with you. You got there a long time ago. :hysterical:

Maybe I was confusing Eric with you. You got there a long time ago. :hysterical:
572310nirvanasmileyface.jpgFollow me the wise man saidBut he walked behind.–Leonard Cohen

securitybreach
*sulking*OK. sadwalk.gif
Hey it happens... :hysterical: As you know I am not a fan of the "popular" WM/DEs either. I would much rather use a more lightweight environment myself.