Show Us Your GNU/Linux Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

Well once you go multi-monitor, it is almost impossible to go back to having one or two.
Believe me, I know the feeling. I was using a pair of 21" monitors on the desktop station and it took quite a while for me to get used to having only a single one on the laptop. Yes, I know I could have plugged the big monitors into the laptop, but I just loved being able to sit anywhere rather than having to cram myself into that tiny little den.The laptop's got a nice 17" widescreen though, so it could be a lot worse!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi

Here's my new desktop on a new to me HP desktop (trade for some work a client needed done):5157501508_64ca0c06a1_m_d.jpgDebian Lenny: All set with KDE, transparency, transparent gkrellm, Oracle non OSE Virtual Box, nVidia drivers installed for the GeForce 6150LE, and some of my favorite toys.There were a few ups and downs but started late this afternoon and I pretty much have it where I want it. :DCan see larger version here.

Guest LilBambi

Got tired of the dark one for now. Will go back to it later though. Hard to decide with so many beautiful pictures to choose from!5156987609_c6775233bc_m_d.jpgBigger one here, and clean one here.Clean one of the dark forest one here.With Flickr, there is a dropdown on the the Action menu above the picture that gives the option to see All Sizes.I am using a 1280x1024 screen res on this install.

Guest LilBambi

OK, now I have found the one I want to use on this desktop. I might use all three ... one for each desktop plus another for the fourth.5160705925_1ce1dc0d63_m_d.jpgA larger version here.And the clean version here.Enchanted Forest 2...reminds me of Crabtree Falls, VA in the Blue Ridge mountains. I wonder if they took that picture up there because it looks just like an area of the creek that runs between the upper meadow and the meadow. :D Love that area! We have been camping there since 1986 ... every year until Jim got hit with Lyme Disease.Can you tell that green (like in trees) is my favorite color. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Green's my fav color also. However, you need to get with the season. We need some brown scenes with snow flurries, maybe. ;)Oh, yeah... Love the Smokies. I spent much time up there in my mom's cabin over the last 30+ years. Sadly, I had to sell the cabin back in '05. I hadn't been getting up there much since mom died in '99 anyway. Here's a pic of the cabin:Cabin02.jpg

Guest LilBambi

Beautiful cabin! Yes, the Smokies are great too. We stayed in a wonderful campground with a creek that wound around it where the kids could tube nearly around the whole campground and then slide down a tiny safe fall to do it all again. It was located in Cherokee. We have been to Clingman's Dome (I think that is what it was called), and saw a live bear too...in a cage. :hysterical: The Smokies, Alleghenies and the Apalachians, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive, Shenandoah Valley and some great caverns, like Luray and Endless Caverns where bootleggers would have parties in a big cavern back during Prohibition. We love caverns! We really loved Endless Caverns, and even camped there one night in their campground.I am with the season (browntone fall colors) on my Mac, and you can see my Mac desktop wallpaper here. :) Should have used a larger image for the posting. But the click through has the actual desktop and clean versions up on my Flickr.

Edited by LilBambi
fixed link to my Mac desktop topic - Thanks Eric!

Beautiful cabin! Yes, the Smokies are great too. We stayed in a wonderful campground with a creek that wound around it where the kids could tube nearly around the whole campground and then slide down a tiny safe fall to do it all again. It was located in Cherokee.
That was the Deep Creek campground in the GSMNP, wasn't it? I love that place and the kids had an absolute blast!

Guest LilBambi
Heh! That link is Adam's profile. :rolleyes:
Oh, no! I was replying to two posts at the same time ... my link for the Mac coloration must be linked to Adam's profile on another topic! LOL!Gotta go find that!Fixed it! Thanks Eric!

Guest LilBambi
That was the Deep Creek campground in the GSMNP, wasn't it? I love that place and the kids had an absolute blast!
It was in the GSMNP, or maybe it was just near the GSMNP. We wanted something off the beaten path. I think it was Indian Creek. The creek was very shallow which is why it was safe for young children to tube in it. Very nice campground and more secluded which we liked a lot.

Not sure I like that Unity look though...although it looks like it would be easy to use.
Unity could be the smartest move Canonical has ever done. I am currently writing an article on Unity - hope to post it on my blog during the weekend - where I defend this smart move.I'll keep you informed when the article is liveA.J.

securitybreach
Heh... my latest:slack13xfceshottgiving0.th.png*custom made w/ The GIMP.
Wow!!! That is really cool looking Eric. I am going to start calling you the The Gimp Guru ;)