Clutter Learns Linux

Cluttermagnet

V.T. Eric Layton

Clutter, It doesn't matter what's in an fstab file when it comes to mounting a drive. You mount as ROOT (god of the Linux system). You have to specify where you want to mount, though. fstab is just for "auto-mounting". To edit your fstab from Ubuntu's Live session:

$ sudo mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2

Then edit the fstab in /mnt/etc/fstab:

$ sudo gedit /mnt/etc/fstab

Have FUNZIES! :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cluttermagnet

• Urmas

• Bruno

• V.T. Eric Layton

Cluttermagnet
Clutter, It doesn't matter what's in an fstab file when it comes to mounting a drive. You mount as ROOT (god of the Linux system). You have to specify where you want to mount, though. fstab is just for "auto-mounting". To edit your fstab from Ubuntu's Live session:
$ sudo mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2

mount point /mnt/hda2 does not exist
B) :w00t:

Cluttermagnet

I just don't really understand enough about the concept of "mounting". What, exactly, is this process? What are "mount points"? Somehow, I don't think I know enough to proceed.It occurred to me that since

mount point /mnt/hda2 does not exist
I might create a mount point:
sudo mkdir /media/linuxtest

And in fact, I did that. But just what is a 'mount point'? Anything special about it? Can just any directory be used as a mount point? It should be an empty directory, right? It could get messy if you used a directory with something in it as a mount point?So then I got the idea I could

sudo mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/media/linuxtest

But I turned chicken at that point, and did not actually execute that last command. OK, so I need some 'mount point'. Then I can mount hda2, and then I can gedit /etc/fstab and take a look at the smoking ruin and then maybe change it to a working fstab table. But I really don't understand mounting, and especially, mount points. I don't want to destroy this OS because, presently, it is still working and can serve as a good learning tool. Since I don't really understand what that last line of code does, I'm going to wait for help.Does 'mounting' something copy any files? If so, where are they copied to? If what you are trying to mount is a partition (hda2) that contains root, that's a whole bunch of files. To me, right now, this whole "mount"/ "mount point" concept is kind of hazy. I figure it is really more in the realm of 'addressing' things? Back in the old mainframe days, they had operators who literally took reels of tape and 'mounted' them to a tape drive. So I suppose that, back then, mounting consisted of the physical act of mounting the tape, plus telling the computer that

tape xyz has been placed on drive 123, now go get 'em! Get those files and do such and so with them, then put them here, etc.
Or whatever. I'd be cranky and irritable if this were my only computer. Fortunately, I have a few more working here. B) I'll try not to destroy any more until I have the Cluttermaster fixed.Still need some help here, guys... Edited by Cluttermagnet

Still need some help here, guys...
Think I'll let this one pass... don't want to cause you additional...e_nosebleed.gifBetter wait until the heavy hitters stumble upon this one. B)

All mounting does is put the new file system into the / file structure, making it available to the system or user. if it is not mounted, you cannot access it.The mount point is simply the location where the filesystem gets mounted. For example, a USB memory stick gets plugged into a port, the HAL subsystem will detect it, creat a mount point of /media/disk, and mount the stick's filesystem there.The error mens there is no mount point at /mnt/hda2 does not exist. There may be a mount point available at /mnt, which is not really used in Ubuntu anyway. It may be at /media/hda2, but that may not have been created at boot.A mount point is ony a directory that is empty. :)Adam

Back in the old mainframe days, they had operators who literally took reels of tape and 'mounted' them to a tape drive. So I suppose that, back then, mounting consisted of the physical act of mounting the tape, plus telling the computer that Or whatever.
Yep! That is it exactly......

Cluttermagnet
... don't want to cause you additional...
Uh- nosebleed?Aw, I'm not that frustrated. I'm sure this is a trivial matter, but not to inexperienced little ol' me. Heh! Yeah, learning curve- uh! B) Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, Adam-You inspired me to toss caution to the winds and try a couple of things.Some sucess. B) I got into my installed fstab. It's a little messed up, but I think I can figure it out enough to get it working. I'll post the contents of fstab in a moment, plus the actual partition numbers which I know. I'll need to add a couple of lines, and also change at least one line...Here's the sequence of commands I used. Noted here mainly for my own records:

sudo mkdir /media/linuxtest

sudo mount /dev/hda2 /media/linuxtest

sudo gedit /media/linuxtest/etc/fstab

Here's the messed up fstab:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults, errors=remount-ro 0 1/dev/hda3 /home ext3 defaults 0 2/dev/hda4 none swap sw 0 0/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0/dev/hdd4 /media/zip vfat rw, users,noauto,sync 0 0
Much of this looks right. I think I have the hard drive alone on IDE0, and the CD on IDE1 as master with the Zip drive as slave.Here are the actual, current partitions:/dev/hda1 Win98SE/dev/hda2 root/dev/hda3 home/dev/hda4 extended partition/dev/hda5 Linux swap/dev/hda6 Fat32 sharedSo I need to edit the swap partition line to read "hda5"...I could optionally add in a line for the shared FAT32 partition hda6 (?)And I think I need to add in a line to identify the 98SE partition hda1 (?)How am I doing so far?BTW hda1 is presently tagged 'boot'. I think Windows needs it that way? Anyway, that can be edited in gparted if needed. I doubt grub cares whether or not it is tagged 'boot'. Edited by Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Well, so far I know that changing the swap partition from hda4 to hda5 is not enough. It still starts up without offering the grub boot menu, and grub still tries to boot directly to the Linux installation- but it still hangs at

mounting root file system.
So there are other problems yet to 'root out'. Heh! B)

Cluttermagnet

I added in a line for the 98SE OS. My fstab now looks like this:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0/dev/hda1 /Win98SE vfat defaults, utf8,umask=007, gid=46 0 1/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults, errors=remount-ro 0 1/dev/hda3 /home ext3 defaults 0 2/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0/dev/hdd4 /media/zip vfat rw, users,noauto,sync 0 0
BTW these edits are definitely getting saved. I see the changes still there, every time I fire up the live CD session and look at fstab again.I think I know that grub is installed OK in the mbr because I have done the grub setup procedure twice now. (see post #901 above)
sudo grubgrub> find /boot/grub/stage1grub> root (hd0,1)grub> setup (hd0)grub> quit

That all seemed to work fine.I think we will need Bruno to have any hope of cleaning up the mess I have made. B)

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

Happy Birthday Clutter :)I see you decided to wade into the deep end for your birthday :w00t: I hope Bruno will be here soon to lend a hand, but let's start with changing where you want the swap file.Or, more importantly, let's not mess with the swap file or it's location without more ammunition, OK? :o Here's some info that could prove handy when thinking about the swap file and relocating it -- when using a swap partition, it is not your standard EXT2 or EXT3 partition. The swap is picky about it's formatting.

Creating the swap partitionNow, we must create the swap partition. We defined it to be in /dev/hda2. So, we must first create it, just like the boot partition. Type ‘n’, then ‘p’, for primary partition, then select 2, for /dev/hda2. When prompted for first cylinder, hit enter, for the last cylinder select a size. It is prefferably to be big enough, for example 512 MB. You can create it bigger. However, for the last cylinder type +512M if you like so. Then type ‘t’ in the command line to set a partition type. Then 2. For partition type, enter 82, which refers to Linux Swap. After all this, check the table:Command (m for help): pDisk /dev/hda: 30.0 GB, 30005821440 bytes245 heads, 66 sectors/track, 3967 cylindersUnits = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytesDevice Boot Start End Blocks Id System/dev/hda1 * 1 14 105808+ 83 Linux/dev/hda2 15 81 506520 82 Linux swap
Might want to read up on Linux swap partitions, before messing with them? ;)Here's a good starting place: handbook:handbook:hard_drive:partitions [LinuxEdu Wiki] - that's where the above info came from.The Linux swap file as noted above is partition type 82 - Swap.As long as the partition type is right, you should be able to make use of any swap. So if you want to change your swap from /hda2 to /hda3, make sure hda3 was created as a Swap partition.For comparison, EXT2 is type 83 and EXT3 is EXT2 Journalized (at least as far as I know -- that is how it was explained to me).You could also use a Swap file that you create specifically for the purpose (there is a process for this!) instead, but if you already had a Swap partition why would you want to change it's location? Swap partitions are generally too small for much else. Apparently you can even create slices of Swap on different drives as well. But I have never done anything like that...in fact, I only read about that today! Thanks! I learned something new! :) Nice to get that out of the way early in the day LOL!Here's an interesting page on Swap Spaces and creating them with mkswap:Creating a Swap Space at FAQ.ORGNOW If you don't understand please ask questions before doing stuff, right? (Wouldn't want you to ruin your computer unnecessarily) B) Hope this helps. Hope you enjoyed your birthday!

V.T. Eric Layton

Uh... Clutter?You kinda' lost me here with all this talk of GRUB and then talk of fstab editing. Take me by the hand and lead me back to the beginning here. What exactly was it you set out to do? What are you trying to achieve here?

Cluttermagnet

Sure, Bruno-Results of

sudo fdisk -l

in live CD session under Dapper:

Device	 Boot  Start  End	Blocks	ID   System/dev/hda1  *	 1	  1012   8128858+  b	W95 FAT32/dev/hda2		1013   2291  10273567   83   Linux/dev/hda3		2292   3835  12402180   83   Linux/dev/hda4		3386   4865  8273475	5	Extended/dev/hda5		3836   4097  2104483+   82   Linux Swap/ Solaris/dev/hda6		4098   4865  6168928+   b	W95 FAT32

Okay Clutter . . . that clearly shows that indeed hda5 is formatted as swap . . that is good . . . So now for the sake of being able to boot the HD installed version can you change the /etc/fstab on the hda2 partition to this:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0#/dev/hda1 /Win98SE vfat defaults, utf8,umask=007, gid=46 0 1/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults 0 1 # Note: I removed the ", errors=remount-ro" part/dev/hda3 /home ext3 defaults 0 2/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0#/dev/hdd4 /media/zip vfat rw, users,noauto,sync 0 0
( We will reverse some changes , one at a time, once we are able to boot the install normally )Next please show us the /boot/grub/menu.lst of the hda2 partition:
$ cat /mnt/hda2/boot/brub/menu.lst

Note: you have give the command on a partition that is mounted on /mnt/hda2 to get results ;)B) BrunoPS: Additional question: . . . on hda2 is there a Win98SE folder in / ?? . . I ask this because in fstab you mount /dev/hda1 on /Win98SE on / and not on /mnt/Win98SE

Cluttermagnet
Uh... Clutter?You kinda' lost me here with all this talk of GRUB and then talk of fstab editing. Take me by the hand and lead me back to the beginning here. What exactly was it you set out to do? What are you trying to achieve here?
OK, Eric-Easy enough to tell, but of course, with anything Clutter has been into, a long story. Heh!My current learning experience is documented starting here. With the Cluttermaster, my original goal (and compromise) was apparently to abandon a newly installed copy of 98SE and to make the machine Linux only, with a copy of Dapper. This was accomplished (23 Mar 2007). That early part of the process is documented starting about here. Probably best to describe it in terms of what the 40G drive partitioning has looked like:(Win98SE FAT32) (Spare FAT32) (Spare FAT32) (Spare FAT32)Working 98SE, not much 3rd party stuff added((98SE FAT32) (Linux swap)) (root ext3) (home ext3) (unallocated)Working Ubuntu Dapper 6.06, 98SE abandoned/ unbootable((98SE FAT32) (Linux swap)) (root ext3) (home ext3) (share FAT32)Added in FAT32 share partition afterwards, Ubuntu still worksFast Foreward to present:(Win98SE FAT32) (root ext3) (home ext3) ((Linux swap) (share FAT32))Install 98SE in hda1, works, grub boot menu no longer appears,Dapper inaccessible.Notice the extended partition moving around.Then I did the 'grub restore' procedure. There have been no further changes to the drive partitioning.This resulted in 98SE becoming inacessible, Dapper 'accessible' but hangs at boot, grub menu never shows- tries to boot directly into Dapper, fails/ hangs...Conrfused enough yet? :wacko:

Cluttermagnet
Okay Clutter . . . that clearly shows that indeed hda5 is formatted as swap . . that is good . . . So now for the sake of being able to boot the HD installed version can you change the /etc/fstab on the hda2 partition to this:( We will reverse some changes , one at a time, once we are able to boot the install normally )
Uh oh...I successfully made the 3 changes to fstab.The OS still hangs at boot during "mounting root file system".Booting back into Dapper live CD session...I think next I must fix the grub bootloader. I must have messed it up. Edited by Cluttermagnet

I think the part of grub that is in the MBR should be okay . . it is the part that lives on hda2 ( the /boot/grub/menu.lst ) that I am worried about and would like to see.So boot the LiveCD, next mount the hda2 partition and show us the /boot/grub/menu.lst file that can be found on that hda2 partitionB) Bruno

Cluttermagnet
PS: Additional question: . . . on hda2 is there a Win98SE folder in / ?? . . I ask this because in fstab you mount /dev/hda1 on /Win98SE on / and not on /mnt/Win98SE
Heh, heh-Well, that's just Clutter getting creative. I'm making up things as I go along. Heh!Actually, there is no such "/Win98SE" on root. I know this to a certainly. So I had no business putting that in the "hda1" line. All of Windows lives in hda1. None of it lives in hda2.

Heh, heh-Well, that's just Clutter getting creative. I'm making up things as I go along. Heh!Actually, there is no such "/Win98SE" on root. I know this to a certainly. So I had no business putting that in the "hda1" line. All of Windows lives in hda1. None of it lives in hda2.
Okay we will deal with that later and I will show you the proper way to do that . . . . . but first show me the /boot/grub/menu.lst files I asked for in post #932 ;):wacko: Bruno

Cluttermagnet
# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)# grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),# grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub# and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.## default num# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.## You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not change this entry to 'saved' or your# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.default 0## timeout sec# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry# (normally the first entry defined).timeout 3## hiddenmenu# Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)hiddenmenu# Pretty colours#color cyan/blue white/blue## password ['--md5'] passwd# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing# control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the# command 'lock'# e.g. password topsecret# password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/# password topsecret## examples## title Windows 95/98/NT/2000# root (hd0,0)# makeactive# chainloader +1## title Linux# root (hd0,1)# kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro### Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs## ## Start Default Options #### default kernel options## default kernel options for automagic boot options## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro## kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro## kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro# kopt=root=/dev/hda2 ro## default grub root device## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)# groot=(hd0,1)## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options## e.g. alternative=true## alternative=false# alternative=true## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options## e.g. lockalternative=true## lockalternative=false# lockalternative=false## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the## alternatives## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5# defoptions=quiet splash## altoption boot targets option## multiple altoptions lines are allowed## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options## altoptions=(recovery mode) single# altoptions=(recovery mode) single## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the## alternative kernel options## e.g. howmany=all## howmany=7# howmany=all## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option## e.g. memtest86=true## memtest86=false# memtest86=true## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system## can be true or false# updatedefaultentry=false## ## End Default Options ##title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-29-386root (hd0,1)kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-29-386 root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet splashinitrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-29-386savedefaultboottitle Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-29-386 (recovery mode)root (hd0,1)kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-29-386 root=/dev/hda2 ro singleinitrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-29-386boottitle Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-28-386root (hd0,1)kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-28-386 root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet splashinitrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-28-386savedefaultboottitle Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-28-386 (recovery mode)root (hd0,1)kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-28-386 root=/dev/hda2 ro singleinitrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-28-386boottitle Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-23-386root (hd0,1)kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-23-386 root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet splashinitrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-23-386savedefaultboottitle Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-23-386 (recovery mode)root (hd0,1)kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-23-386 root=/dev/hda2 ro singleinitrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-23-386boottitle Ubuntu, memtest86+root (hd0,1)kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin boot### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
Sorry, I wasted a bunch of time with a floppy, then had to go get my flash drive to move the file...

Strange. . . the menu.lst file looks okay to me . . . . the only thing I see is that you have 3 different kernel to boot from . . . I suppose you are using the 2.6.15-29-386.What I want you to do next is get the SuperGrubDisk ( http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/ ) use it as a bootdevice and once booted from it do:English <Enter><Enter><Enter><Enter>Gnu/Linux <Enter><Enter>Boot Gnu/Linux <Enter>WaitChoose distro to boot <Enter>That should show you the ( full ) Ubuntu bootmenu . . . and from there you can choose the 2.6.15-29-386 and boot.Once you are booted you are going to re-install the Ubuntu grub to the MBR with "sudo grub-install /dev/hda"I hope you will manage . . . . it is rather late here so I am going to get some sleep and I will see in the morning how far you got.Don't do any further editing of files before we had a chance to communicate about it in the morning . . we would not want the mess to get any bigger then it is, would we ? . . LOLB) Bruno

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, Bruno-I have that CD. I did exactly as you describe. Yes, I did see the menu. The top choice of 3 I can see (plus memtest86) is 2.6.15-29-386. I selected that and hit enter.It begins to boot, then hangs at "mounting root file system".BTW I have been here before, I made it this far on my own, believe it or not (yesterday). I love this Super Grub disk, but so far it has not been able to help me. :(So it looks like whatever repairs we do to grub will have to be done from the live CD session.Thanks so much for all the good help. We'll talk again tomorrow... :thumbsup:Please remember, I have very little emotional investment in saving this OS. If this gets to be too much trouble, I'd be just as happy to format the root partition and install, say, Gutsy over it. Or maybe Feisty.I'm going through this only for the learning experience it gives me. And I have 2 other machines with working Ubuntu installs to fall back on. BTW Ubuntu is my main, day to day OS now. I go into 98SE 'fairly often', but only for those 'special tasks' I haven't yet learned in Linux.Man, am I ever loving the Linux environment! I'm having way more fun than before. How liberating, to be freed from so much security software overhead. As raymac46 calls it, I'm a Linux "advocate" (also a wannabee Linux geek). Heh! :wacko:

Edited by Cluttermagnet

Editing fstab and menu.lst is geeking it up a fair bit in my view.Keep me in the Advocate column though. I am a firm believer in the "one machine-one O/S" philosophy.

Cluttermagnet
Once you are booted you are going to re-install the Ubuntu grub to the MBR with "sudo grub-install /dev/hda"I hope you will manage . . . . it is rather late here so I am going to get some sleep and I will see in the morning how far you got.Don't do any further editing of files before we had a chance to communicate about it in the morning . . we would not want the mess to get any bigger then it is, would we ? . . LOLB) Bruno
Hmmm, well, there is one more thing I can think of to try while Bruno sleeps. I could try the command above, after mounting /dev/hda2 at /media/linuxtest (in live CD session). Technically, that's not any "further editing of files"... Dare I chance it? Well, I'm going out for a late dinner. I'll decide later... B) :wacko:

securitybreach

Kind of off topic but this has to have to most post of any topic I have seen. 940 posts counting mine. Hopefully a lot has been learned. Keep up the posts, gives me something to read. :wacko: B) Thanks

V.T. Eric Layton

Alrighty, Clutter. I'm thoroughly... well, confused now. :wacko: Heh! I'm not sure, but I don't think you have a GRUB issue. I think the Ubuntu you're trying to boot is hosed. Why don't you try to boot one of the other Ubuntu kernels you have there and see if it will boot.

Cluttermagnet
Alrighty, Clutter. I'm thoroughly... well, confused now. :wacko: Heh! I'm not sure, but I don't think you have a GRUB issue. I think the Ubuntu you're trying to boot is hosed. Why don't you try to boot one of the other Ubuntu kernels you have there and see if it will boot.
Great suggestion, easy to try. I'll let you know what happens...

Cluttermagnet

All right-I found that all 3 kernels produce the same hang at "mounting root file system".As an experiment, I tried (again) booting one of the kernels in Recovery Mode.This time, I wrote down what remained after the screen stopped scrolling fast.The resulting dialog may provide hints:(...finished finding 6 USB ports...)"...begin running /scripts/local-premount....Attempting manual resume....attempt to access beyond end of device....hda4: rw=16, want=8, limit=2(hda4 is my extended partition containing Linux swap)....Kernel panic - not syncing: I/O error reading memory image..."(hangs, cursor blinking mindlessly...)

I think the Ubuntu you're trying to boot is hosed.
Perhaps. But I'm not at all convinced of that yet. I can't think of anything I did to hose it. When I did my 'botched surgery' on those 2/3 'outer' partitions, I kept total hands off of the root and home partitions in the 'middle' of the drive. It 'feels' more like a messed up partition table sort of mess, so far... Edited by Cluttermagnet

V.T. Eric Layton

This almost looks as though Ubuntu is trying to mount your hda4 extended as the /swap. However, an ext is not a mountable partition on a drive. It's a combination of the two partitions within it... hda5 and 6. When you were installing the Ubuntu, did you by any chance set hda4 as the /swap by accident?

Clutter, my dear friend . . . . I had a new look at the partition table you posted:

/dev/hda1  *	 1	  1012   8128858+  b	W95 FAT32/dev/hda2		1013   2291  10273567   83   Linux/dev/hda3		2292   3835  12402180   83   Linux/dev/hda4		3386   4865  8273475	5	Extended/dev/hda5		3836   4097  2104483+   82   Linux Swap/ Solaris/dev/hda6		4098   4865  6168928+   b	W95 FAT32

And I see this for the extended:

3386 4865
Is that a typo of yours or was that 1005 the real output of the "fdisk -l" command ??See, it should have been
3836 4865
. . . . . because the next line for hda5 is 3836 4097 !A kernel panic is bad news . . . . . :wacko: Bruno