Debian Install

longgone

#suPassword:#chown -R <your username> /mnt/Debian

then try "dpkg". If it doesn't work then see where in /mnt/Debian it want to install and give it ownership and permission.P.S. Just read Louis' post. Try his first Dale and see what it does.

Rejean if you want to chown you need the username and the group name .. like this
# chown -R rejean:mygroup  /home/rejean/stuff<the filename>

the first part is your username rejean second part mygroup is the group that you belong too... if you want to check what group you belong to you can always do a

groups rejean

Edited by steel

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• steel

• Bruno

• réjean

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I have noticed is that I don't need to mount every time ... I guess it stays mounted for the entire session unless I umount or I shut the 'puter off ..... also my username in pclos is "dale" sans the ""

How do you avoid it Louis? Half of the time I cannot "cp -R" because I don't have enough permission even if I am working as "su".
honestly Rejean i cant remeber having a permission problem, 1) i make sure that the /mnt/where is mount and then i create whatever i want.... i am suprised you have that problem Rejean i always back up tons of stuff sometimes i am working in my debian or centos, slack or pclos copying files from one distro to the other distros .. unless your not in sudo or su thats the only way i can see you having a problem with permisson ..

Hi Louis!Just made a little test copying RealPlayer from PCLos to Slackware and it worked;

[rejean@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost rejean]# mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/slackware[root@localhost rejean]# cp -R /home/rejean/share/RealPlayer /mnt/slackware[root@localhost slackware]# lsftp/  lost+found/  RealPlayer/  rejean/[root@localhost slackware]#

I may have forgotten the "-R" occasionally.

Edited by réjean

One thing I have noticed is that I don't need to mount every time ... I guess it stays mounted for the entire session unless I umount or I shut the 'puter off ..... also my username in pclos is "dale" sans the ""
whats that Dale your Debian is always mounted??? i didnt see in your fstables on way to find out is if you do
ls -l /mnt/Debian/home/dale/Desktop/

i will give you an example i will do a ls -l to my slackware and i know its not mountls /mnt/slack/home/louisls: /mnt/slack/home/louis: No such file or directory

now i mount my slackware

mount /mnt/slack[root@localhost lou]# ls -l /mnt/slack/home/louistotal 63drwx------   2 lou lou	48 Aug 19 22:30 amsn_received/-rw-r--r--   1 lou lou 14780 Sep  7 01:26 blackbox-menudrwxr-xr-x   8 lou lou   320 Aug 18 03:57 scripts/drwxr-xr-x   4 lou lou  1080 Sep  8 19:18 Desktop/drwxr-xr-x   3 lou lou	72 Sep  2 23:35 GNUstep/-rw-r--r--   1 lou lou 10064 Sep  7 11:41 kdesu.htmldrwxr-xr-x   2 lou lou  7424 Aug 16 12:27 linux/drwxr-xr-x   2 lou lou   344 Sep  7 09:45 music/drwxr-xr-x   2 lou lou	80 Aug  3 23:05 Photos/drwxr-xr-x   2 lou lou	72 Sep  1 15:26 Shared/drwx------   4 lou lou   112 Sep  7 11:40 tmp/drwxr-xr-x   2 lou lou 26760 Aug 18 03:46 wallpapers_lil_MORE/drwxr-xr-x  15 lou lou   544 Sep  6 10:24 workstuff/see the difference?

can you see yours Dale?

# ls -l /mnt/Debian/home/dale/Desktop

if not you will get a error like i had ls: No such file or directorythats why i asked you to mount your drive so you can see your stuff..

# mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/Debian

if you wanted to create a folder so you can place stuff from your pclos to your debain desktop you would do this

# mkdir /mnt/Debian/home/dale/Desktop/todo

to give ownership of that todo folder you would do

chown -R dale:dale  /mnt/Debian/home/dale/Desktop/todo

now you if you have your home folder copy this to the addrss bar /mnt/Debian/home/dale/Desktop/todo and thats your new folder in your debian that belongs to you so you can drop stuff there ...

Edited by steel

Hi Louis!Just made a little test copying RealPlayer from PCLos to Slackware and it worked;
[rejean@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost rejean]# mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/slackware[root@localhost rejean]# cp -R /home/rejean/share/RealPlayer /mnt/slackwareI may have forgotten the "-R" occasionally.Good Job Rejean    one thing is your /mnt/slackware is already in your fstab you dont need to this add /dev/hdc7 .... and the -R is just good practice even if you copy on thing you dont really need the -R .... you can get away cp /home/rejean/share/RealPlayer /mnt/slackware because its just one iteam .... bu ti use it all the time and you know what the -R means? 
This copies all the directorries, including all its files, subdirectories, and the files in those subdirectories, to your destination
remeber when i asked you to copy x11 2 x11bak thats where the -R comes in very handy especially with something that important

[rejean@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost rejean]# mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/slackware[root@localhost rejean]# cp -R /home/rejean/share/RealPlayer /mnt/slackwareI may have forgotten the "-R" occasionally.Good Job Rejean    one thing is your /mnt/slackware is already in your fstab you dont need to this add /dev/hdc7 .... and the -R is just good practice even if you copy on thing you dont really need the -R .... you can get away cp /home/rejean/share/RealPlayer /mnt/slackware because its just one iteam .... bu ti use it all the time and you know what the -R means? 
This copies all the directorries, including all its files, subdirectories, and the files in those subdirectories, to your destination
remeber when i asked you to copy x11 2 x11bak thats where the -R comes in very handy especially with something that important

:icon8: . . :o . . OOpppsssss...
[dale@localhost ~]$ ls -l /mnt/Debian/home/dale/Desktop/total 1388-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 33545 Sep 7 15:16 index.php?act=Printdrwx------ 4 1000 1000 4096 Sep 6 14:33 Trash/-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 96080 Sep 5 14:42 wvdial-1.56.tar.gz-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1269821 Sep 5 14:43 wvstreams-4.2.2.tar.gz[dale@localhost ~]$

:icon8: . . :o . . OOpppsssss...
Dale you should try to install wvdial
# mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/Debian# cd /mnt/Debian/var/cache/apt/archives/# mv *.deb /mnt/Debian/home/dale/Desktop/

go to your debian and the .debs will you on your desktop... now try to install them this way

# dpkg -i wvdial_1.54.0-1.1_i386.deb

see if that will install it or see if your missing anything else..

Password:[root@localhost dale]# mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/Debianmount: /dev/hda12 already mounted or /mnt/Debian busymount: according to mtab, /dev/hda12 is already mounted on /mnt/Debian[root@localhost dale]#
this is what I was talking about

Password:[root@localhost dale]# mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/Debianmount: /dev/hda12 already mounted or /mnt/Debian busymount: according to mtab, /dev/hda12 is already mounted on /mnt/Debian[root@localhost dale]#
ohhh ok sorry Dale, if you do a
ls -l /mnt/Debian

can you see whats in there if so then go to the next step

# cd /mnt/Debian/var/cache/apt/archives/# mv *.deb /mnt/Debian/home/dale/Desktop/

Go to debian side and run this

# dpkg -i wvdial_1.54.0-1.1_i386.deb

[dale@localhost ~]$ ls -l /mnt/Debiantotal 0[dale@localhost ~]$
this is from Debiandpkg: error processing wvdial_1.54.0-1.1_i386.debcannot accessarchive: no such file or directoryerrors were encountered while prrocessing:wvdial_1.54.0-1.1_i386.debthere are half a dozen .deb pkgs on the desktop though

this is from Debiandpkg: error processing wvdial_1.54.0-1.1_i386.debcannot accessarchive: no such file or directoryerrors were encountered while prrocessing:wvdial_1.54.0-1.1_i386.deb
:icon8: :o didnt wvdial get moved over to desktop???? ok Dale can you show me what you have on your Desktop pls
ls -l /mnt/Debian/home/dale/Desktop/

if it gives you an error saying no such file then mount your drive if its not

# mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/Debian

and run the top commad again

total 0[dale@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost dale]# cd /mnt/Debian/var/cache/apt/archives/bash: cd: /mnt/Debian/var/cache/apt/archives/: No such file or directory[root@localhost dale]# exitexit[dale@localhost ~]$ ls -l /mnt/Debian/home/dale/Desktop/ls: /mnt/Debian/home/dale/Desktop/: No such file or directory[dale@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost dale]# mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/Debian[root@localhost dale]# exitexit[dale@localhost ~]$ ls -l /mnt/Debian/home/dale/Desktop/total 2744-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 102220 Aug 1 00:25 dhcp-client_2.0pl5-19.1sarge2_i386.deb-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 33545 Sep 7 15:16 index.php?act=Print-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 366816 Apr 5 2005 libwvstreams4.0-base_4.0.2-4_i386.deb-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 443564 Apr 5 2005 libwvstreams4.0-extras_4.0.2-4_i386.deb-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 35834 Mar 26 2005 libxplc0.3.11_0.3.11-1_i386.deb-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 324274 Jun 4 04:47 ppp_2.4.3-20050321+2sarge1_i386.debdrwx------ 4 1000 1000 4096 Sep 6 14:33 Trash/-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 83706 Jan 21 2005 wvdial_1.54.0-1.1_i386.deb-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 96080 Sep 5 14:42 wvdial-1.56.tar.gz-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1269821 Sep 5 14:43 wvstreams-4.2.2.tar.gz[dale@localhost ~]$

and the results are .......# cd /Desktop === bash: cd: /Desktop: no such file or directory
sorry my mistake i guess you were off before i had fixed it
sucd Desktop# dpkg -i wvdial_1.54.0-1.1_i386.deb

ummmm .......I did the su part .. just did not list it
yes Dale what i meant is when you get to the debian side go su to root cd to desktp and install packagedo this from debianlog into debian ... su to root
cd Desktop# dpkg -i wvdial_1.54.0-1.1_i386.deb

from the debian side Dale

That is what I did ... and that was the response I got back .........
yeap i think i know why.... its there remeber this
dale@localhost ~]$ ls -l /mnt/Debian/home/dale/Desktop/total 2744-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 102220 Aug 1 00:25 dhcp-client_2.0pl5-19.1sarge2_i386.deb-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 33545 Sep 7 15:16 index.php?act=Print-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 366816 Apr 5 2005 libwvstreams4.0-base_4.0.2-4_i386.deb-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 443564 Apr 5 2005 libwvstreams4.0-extras_4.0.2-4_i386.deb-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 35834 Mar 26 2005 libxplc0.3.11_0.3.11-1_i386.deb-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 324274 Jun 4 04:47 ppp_2.4.3-20050321+2sarge1_i386.debdrwx------ 4 1000 1000 4096 Sep 6 14:33 Trash/-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 83706 Jan 21 2005 wvdial_1.54.0-1.1_i386.deb-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 96080 Sep 5 14:42 wvdial-1.56.tar.gz-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1269821 Sep 5 14:43 wvstreams-4.2.2.tar.gz[dale@localhost ~]$
there are half a dozen .deb pkgs on the desktop though
the system doesnt see you will have to update it here is how, and actually wouldnt be a bad idea to do it to pclos as well .. here is the command
# updatedb

run this both on pclos and the first thing you do when you get to debianon debian side do this ,,,,

# updatedb# cd Desktop# dpkg -i wvdial_1.54.0-1.1_i386.deb

B) :hmm: :hmm: ..............Welllll.......... good an not so good .... the updatedb cmd did wonders (I'm still wondering) .... it unpacked wvdial .. ;) .. but it would not configure it due to dependencies .. it needs both the wvstreams base/erxtra to be installed .. would have tried it but I don't know where to start from (I think I would leave out all the stuff from /var through archives/) ... it also did not mention the libxplc pkg but did mention the ppp pkg ...that is your morning update, Saturday 09 September 2006 ...... ;) :'(

B) :hmm: :hmm: ..............Welllll.......... good an not so good .... the updatedb cmd did wonders (I'm still wondering) .... it unpacked wvdial .. :P .. but it would not configure it due to dependencies .. it needs both the wvstreams base/erxtra to be installed .. would have tried it but I don't know where to start
Nice Dale told ya we were getting somewhere ... now what you have to do is when you get to the debian side is
# cd Desktop# dpkg -i libwvstreams4.0-base_4.0.2-4_i386.deb# dpkg -i libwvstreams4.0-extras_4.0.2-4_i386.deb

Wellllllllllll.............. getting better .. but still not there yet ,,,, unpacked both but they need to have the libxplc pkg installed sooooooooo,,,,,,,,, I made a swag and did this cmd # dpkg -i libxplc0.3.11_0.3.11-1_i386.debit must have been good as it did not kick it back ... whats the next step and don't say try to connect to the web ... I tried and it wouldn't ... but at least now it does not say wvdial not found ...

Wellllllllllll.............. getting better .. but still not there yet ,,,, unpacked both but they need to have the libxplc pkg installed sooooooooo,,,,,,,,, I made a swag and did this cmd # dpkg -i libxplc0.3.11_0.3.11-1_i386.debit must have been good as it did not kick it back ... whats the next step and don't say try to connect to the web ... I tried and it wouldn't ... but at least now it does not say wvdial not found ...
Excellent work Dale, and you were right at installing libxpl good job :P what i would do is remove and reinstall wvdial .... when you get to your Debian ...
# cd Desktop# dpkg -r wvdial# dpkg -i wvdial_1.54.0-1.1_i386.deb

Before ... I go over to Debian ... there are two more remaining pkgs on the desktop one is a dhcp pkg and the othere is a ppp pkg should I install those also or leave them alone ???????