Debian Install

longgone

Bruno ... Okay we'll give it our best shot .......Steel .....Here is the results from those 2 cmds ... first the update one/etc/wvdial.conf/etc/wvdial.conf~/home/dale/Desktop/wvdial-1.56.tar.gz (this is from yesterday .. see above)/usr/share/vim/vim63/syntax/wvdial.vim/var/cache/setup-tool-backends/backup/network/1/etc/wvdial.conf(The above line is repeated 8 more times with the only change being in the number)/var/cache/setup-tool-backends/backup/network/First/etc/wvdial.confnow for cat ..the only sources it lists are disks 1 & 2 and deb http://security.debian.org/stable/updates main contriband that is what I have to work with .... so far

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• steel

• Bruno

• réjean

Top Posters In This Topic

now for cat ..the only sources it lists are disks 1 & 2 and deb http://security.debian.org/stable/updates main contriband that is what I have to work with .... so far
ok Dale NP your sources.list is pretty empty no wonder you cant get anything .....try this ....
# gedit /etc/apt/sources.list#

and add these lines to your sources under the security.debian

deb-src ftp://mirror.direct.ca/pub/linux/debian/ stable main contrib non-freedeb ftp://mirror.direct.ca/pub/linux/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

ok save file .... Now get your cds ready and issue this command with your cds in drive ..

apt-cdrom add cdom0

Next .....

apt-get update;apt-get install wvdial;apt-get upgrade

i do these commands in 1 line.. normally you just do a apt-get update = to update your sourcesapt-get install wvdial = to install your wvdialapt-get upgrade =to upgrade your systemThe reason i still asked for your cds is that your on dial up and if it can save you time uisng your cds then its worth it ........ after you done that we can go ahead and add more sources so you can get all your plugins and goodies that you need to view webpages properly....

:w00t: ... :o ...I need to put on some boots here ..... one step forward ... two steps back .... shheeeeshh .............Steel ...... Sources added to the list .. FWIW ... the list was e3mpty in "gedit" nothing there ... apt-cdrom add cdom0 .. produced the response thar the cd was not a debian cd .. no files or folders ... :P :locked: .... however since there was an icon on the desktop that looks like a disk I clicked on it and it states that it is Debian disk 3 ... needless to say nothing was produced there .. so therefore the apt-get update, etc .............. was of no use ...BUT ... go back 9 posts and those two pkgs are on my Desktop ... when I click on them it presents options to use but I have no idea (clueless) about what to do ...so that is the latest from out west ... :P

Np Dale.... maybe an easier way would be to go to your Plcos.... mount the debian partition ..... then use File Manager - Super User Mode ..... then go to you debian partition and then etc apt sources.list and add this two

deb-src ftp://mirror.direct.ca/pub/linux/debian/ stable main contrib non-freedeb ftp://mirror.direct.ca/pub/linux/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

do you where debian partition is /dev/hda???? ... but dont get discourage Debian is awesome distro ... i know i have both of them .. stable and unstable Np Dale.... maybe an easier way would be to go to your Plcos.... mount the debian partition ..... then use File Manager - Super User Mode ..... then go to you debian partition and then etc apt sources.list and add this two

do you where debian partition is /dev/hda???? ... but dont get discourage Debian is awesome distro ... i know i have both of them .. stable and unstable

Steel....I already did those two cmds .... and the Debian partition is hda12 .. at least for now
great we are getting somewhere.... try this Dale
# mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/hda12;kate /mnt/hda12/etc/apt/sources.list

then add those two sources,

then then save file and then do this
apt-get update;apt-get install wvdial;apt-get upgrade

Edited by steel

Before I do those commands .. here is some info ... even though I did gedit and entered those to sources ... they did not take ... I did receive this wrng/error ..(gedit:1480): GnomeUI-warning **:while connecting to session manager: authentication rejected, reason: none of the authentication protocols are supported and host-based authentication failed.Maybe,, one step forward 3 steps back ....... ;) :D

[root@localhost dale]# mount /dev/hda12;kate /mnt/hda12/etc/apt/sources.listmount: can't find /dev/hda12 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtabkbuildsycoca running...kbuildsycoca: WARNING: KBuildServiceGroupFactory::addNew( /, ): menu already exists!kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'ark_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'karm_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'karm_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'karm_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kchartpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.chart,application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.chart-template'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kfile_raw.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-raw'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kcertpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/binary-certificate'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KMediaPart'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ms-wma'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/msvideo'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-mplayer2'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kformulapart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.formula-template'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-fortran'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KNotify'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KMediaPart'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ms-wma'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/msvideo'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-mplayer2'KWrited - Listening on Device /dev/pts/2libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.has_audio on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_2libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.is_blank on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_2libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.has_audio on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_5libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.is_blank on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_5libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_1libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.has_audio on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_66libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.is_blank on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_66libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_1libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_1libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_1libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_1libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_1libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_1
for some reason ..I think this indicates a serious problem

Before I do those commands .. here is some info ... even though I did gedit and entered those to sources ... they did not take ... I did receive this wrng/error ..(gedit:1480): GnomeUI-warning **:while connecting to session manager: authentication rejected, reason: none of the authentication protocols are supported and host-based authentication failed.
yeah i get that tooo sometimes Dale check this out

Just means that no matter what distro, you can still come across that error its not uncommon and this was to how to fix the errorthis is how to fix this problem the solution is simple, give the following commands:(as normal user)

$ xhost +

And (as root)CODE

# set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

Edited by steel

okay.... should I do those cmds in PCLOS or Debian or both ??????
Dale ....NOT both stay on Pclos for not and when you get to debian you can deal with your (gedit:1480): GnomeUI-warning problem .... .... so can you post your fstab in pclos first plz?
cat /etc/fstab

the error that you had before was it couldnt find your /dev/hda12 debian partition thats why it gave you that long error .... and also can you post your

# ls /mnt

p.s i am sorry Dale i was the one that made the mistake in one of the posts i just noticedit should be

# mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/hda12

make sure that you have /mnt/hda12 ............... sorry about the mistake

Edited by steel

Password:[root@localhost dale]# cat /etc/fstab# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details# /dev/hdb8, size=15358077, type=131: Journalised FS: ext3 (extended)/dev/hdb8 / ext3 defaults 1 1none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0# cdrom: LITE-ON DVD SOHD-167T/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto user,exec,ro,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0# cdrom: LITE-ON LTR-32123S/dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,exec,ro,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0# fd: H1440/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,exec,rw,noauto,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0# /dev/hdb1, size=6136767, type=131: Journalised FS: ext3 (primary)/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ext3 user,exec,rw,noauto 1 2# /dev/hdb10, size=49480137, type=131: Linux native (extended)/dev/hdb10 /mnt/hdb10 ext2 user,exec,rw,noauto 1 2# /dev/hdb5, size=12273597, type=131: Journalised FS: ext3 (extended)/dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5 ext3 user,exec,rw,noauto 1 2# /dev/hdb6, size=6136767, type=131: Journalised FS: ext3 (extended)/dev/hdb6 /mnt/hdb6 ext3 user,exec,rw,noauto 1 2# /dev/hdb7, size=15358077, type=131: Journalised FS: ReiserFS (extended)/dev/hdb7 /mnt/hdb7 reiserfs user,exec,rw,noauto,notail,noatime 1 2# /dev/hdb9, size=15358077, type=131: Journalised FS: ext3 (extended)/dev/hdb9 /mnt/hdb9 ext3 user,exec,rw,noauto 1 2none /proc proc defaults 0 0none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0[root@localhost dale]# ls /mntcdrom/ Debian/ hda1/ hda11/ hda6/ hda8/ hdb1/ hdb5/ hdb7/ win_c/cdrom2/ floppy/ hda10/ hda12/ hda7/ hda9/ hdb10/ hdb6/ hdb9/ windows/[root@localhost dale]#
I'm going to guess the cmd you ooppsss on was the one that had kate in it y/n

Dale i cant see /dev/hda12 /mnt/Debian anywhere...... but if your certain its hda12 then mount it

mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/Debian

then do cat

cat /mnt/Debian/etc/apt/sources.list

just to be sure we are in the right drive

[root@localhost dale]# mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/hda12[root@localhost dale]# kate /mnt/hda12/etc/apt/sources.listkbuildsycoca running...KWrited - Listening on Device /dev/pts/3libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.has_audio on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_2libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.is_blank on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_2libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.has_audio on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_5libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.is_blank on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_5libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_1libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.has_audio on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_66libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.is_blank on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_66libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_1libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_1libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_1libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_1libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_1libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_1QObject::disconnect: Unexpected null parameter[root@localhost dale]# ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 10267, errno = 0
Password:[root@localhost dale]# mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/Debian[root@localhost dale]# cat /mnt/Debian/etc/apt/sources.list# deb file:///cdrom/ sarge maindeb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r2 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20060419)]/ unstable contrib main main/debian-installerdeb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r2 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-2 (20060419)]/ unstable maindeb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contribdeb-src ftp://mirror.direct.ca/pub/linux/debian/ stable main contrib non-freedeb ftp://mirror.direct.ca/pub/linux/debian/ stable main contrib non-free[root@localhost dale]#

Dale since you have that open try to replace

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contribdeb-src ftp://mirror.direct.ca/pub/linux/debian/ stable main contrib non-freedeb ftp://mirror.direct.ca/pub/linux/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
with this
deb-src ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/debian/ stable main contrib non-freedeb ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/debian/ stable main contrib non-freedeb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-freedeb-src http://security.debian.org/  stable/updates main contrib non-free

then do go to your debian and do [/code]apt-get update;apt-get install wvdial

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: .............Weelllllll... that was a dud .... a bazillion errors and no wvdial ...
Dale. not sure how you added your sources, but i am using the same ones on my stable and this is what i get i just tried them
# apt-get updateHit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Package**** http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main ReleaseHit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Package**** http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib ReleaseHit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/non-free Package**** http://security.debian.org stable/updates/non-free ReleaseHit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Source**** http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main ReleaseHit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Source**** http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib ReleaseHit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/non-free Source**** http://security.debian.org stable/updates/non-free ReleaseHit ftp://ftp.nluug.nl stable/main Source**** ftp://ftp.nluug.nl stable/main ReleaseHit ftp://ftp.nluug.nl stable/contrib Source**** ftp://ftp.nluug.nl stable/contrib ReleaseHit ftp://ftp.nluug.nl stable/non-free Source**** ftp://ftp.nluug.nl stable/non-free ReleaseHit ftp://ftp.nluug.nl stable/main Package**** ftp://ftp.nluug.nl stable/main ReleaseHit ftp://ftp.nluug.nl stable/contrib Package**** ftp://ftp.nluug.nl stable/contrib ReleaseHit ftp://ftp.nluug.nl stable/non-free Package**** ftp://ftp.nluug.nl stable/non-free ReleaseReading Package Lists... Donedebian:/home/louis#
deb-src ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/debian/ stable main contrib non-freedeb ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/debian/ stable main contrib non-freedeb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-freedeb-src http://security.debian.org/  stable/updates main contrib non-free

those are the sources that i am uisng and they are exactly like that

Edited by steel

Hi Dale / SteelTo avoid these errors:

libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.has_audio on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_2libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.is_blank on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_2libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.has_audio on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_5libhal.c 1205 : Error sending msg: No property volume.disc.is_blank on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_3_5libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0
Use "kdesu":Here is an example, you are running KDE and you want to open a file in Kkate because you want to have an easy way edit the ( /mnt/hda12/etc/apt/sources.list ) file as root, what you do is give the following command as user:
$ kdesu kate /mnt/hda12/etc/apt/sources.list

The "kate /mnt/hda12/etc/apt/sources.list" part of the command is for opening the file in Kedit, but the "kdesu" that precedes that command triggers a box to pop up where you are asked to give the root-password. After you give the password Kate will open with the file loaded and you can edit it ( as if you were root ).:hmm: Bruno

The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to file:///mnt/hda12/etc/apt/sources.list.Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space is available.
Steel ..........I attempted to add those 4 cmds using the kdesu promt that Bruno pointed out .. no errors .. that was good .. now the bad ... which is the error above ... this gives me the impression that nothing I am doing here in PCLOS is making it over to Debian even though ,, yesterday late I did a mnt hda 12 then did a cat for hda12 and it showed that those four sources were listed ... but when I went to Debian to do the cmds you gave me all I got were a bunch of errors and in the end "wvdial could not be found"

It's because you don't have permissions Dale. Before Bruno came back I thought you were in Debian all the time moving files from PCLos to Debian but from Debian. Did you do what Bruno suggested?

The "kate /mnt/hda12/etc/apt/sources.list" part of the command is for opening the file in Kedit, but the "kdesu" that precedes that command triggers a box to pop up where you are asked to give the root-password. After you give the password Kate will open with the file loaded and you can edit it ( as if you were root ).
And did you get the box asking to allow you to edit the file? Like Louis said you've made good progress. Keep up the good work!

Rejean................In a nutshell .... yes to the question about using Brunos prompt .....no to the rest .... in order .. from the kdesu prompt ..... window asking for root p/w ....window from kate opens asking .. default session or new session .. made my selection and a new window opens up to allow me to make the entries (BTW it is empty) .. make entries .. click save ... and I get the wrng I posted in post before last ..click ok and it tells me that the changes were not saved ...and other than that I am lost in a blizzard ........... :hmm:

Steel....Okay did that .... what you said and it shows that those 4 sources have been added and the previous three were deleted ...... soooooooo ... now what ... I do have a suggestion .. :hmm: :hmm: ...... if all else fails do a reinstall and web up in Debian and see what can be accomplished there ... (last resort now)

Steel....Okay did that .... what you said and it shows that those 4 sources have been added and the previous three were deleted ...... soooooooo ... now what ... I do have a suggestion .. :hmm: :hmm: ...... if all else fails do a reinstall and web up in Debian and see what can be accomplished there ... (last resort now)
Great Job Dale :hmm: :devil: and nooo at reinstall your close now ... ok well then go to your debian ... and do the
# apt-get update

then

apt-get install wvdial

once wvdial is installed you can upgrade your whole system and this while take a while and this is how

# apt-get upgrade

Hi Dale / SteelTo avoid these errors:Use "kdesu":Here is an example, you are running KDE and you want to open a file in Kkate because you want to have an easy way edit the ( /mnt/hda12/etc/apt/sources.list ) file as root, what you do is give the following command as user:
$ kdesu kate /mnt/hda12/etc/apt/sources.list

Hi Bruno ... thanks for that command, honestly i never heard of it before, and i go through Tips for Linux Explorers often and never seen it there, could you include it there somewhere for referrence.... thanks

:devil: ;) :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: Welllll ....... the results of that exercise .. are .. 1, 2, 3 strikes and it's out...apt-get update results in 24 lines beginning with "ERR",, 24 lines beginning with "failed to fetch" and 4 lines beginning with "w couldn't stat source pkg list.....(2 no such file or directory) the item of note: the four "W" lines are the four linces that I put into the sources list..just for the heck of it apt-get install wvdial gives me this .. couldn't find pkg wvdialadditipnal item ... over in Debian .. on the desktop I have to icons wvstreams and wvdial which were imported from PCLOS (got them from rejean) .. they are both a "tar.gz" .. when I click on them they window that opens says "open with" either archive mngr or choose another file mngr..... could these be of help or no ????