UPGRADE: ericsbane06 to Slackware64 15.0

V.T. Eric Layton

4 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I still cannot Suspend or Hibernate properly on this machine,

Maybe reducing the core temperature will help it go into hibernation. 😆

Edited by wa4chq
  • Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton

...or putting it into a nice warm & dark cave for the rest of the winter.

bear-hibernating-clipart-10.jpg&f=1&nofb

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

Linux is about choice...

Yup. And the way I chose to do it, was the easiest for me. It works now. I'm happy.

abarbarian
14 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I just want SIMPLE... ON -> WORK -> OFF.

Maybe not quite fulfilling your requirements but if you took a few hours to install Arch you would get,

SIMPLE... ON -> WORK -> UPDATE  -> OFF. 

Which I admit is pretty boring.

If you used Window Maker instead of KDE then you would get

PRETTY and BORING.

🤣

V.T. Eric Layton

Nah... had my fun with Arch. Slackware for me... and if that doesn't pan out, BSD will be my next OS.

And KDE? Nah, man... I haven't used KDE since v3.5 something or other (2007) when they BLOATED it up and made it all fancy-schmancy and such. I've been using Xfce since then.

V.T. Eric Layton

By the way, I was looking for a matching SSD drive to that Crucial MX500 that you gave me a few years back. I was pleasantly AMAZED to find that they are so very cheap these days. I can get a brand new on on Ebay for about $26 (free shipping). I'm thinking about doing that and then installing both those little SSD into ericsbane06 and get rid of the clunky old mechanical drives.

Ssd-Crucial-Mx500-250gb-Nuevo-2019071908

• Like 1
  • +1 1

I've found that the best combination for me is a smaller SSD and a big mechanical drive, if I have the room. I use the SSD for my OS and larger games, and the HDD for data.

In a laptop it's SSD all the way. And a small SSD is so cheap you can even put one in a crappy old laptop and reap the benefits.

There are limits though. Anything less than SATA 2 interface isn't going to work that great with an SSD. Of course SATA 2 has been around since 2004 so chances are anything running today will have at least that specification.

• Like 3

abarbarian
3 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

And KDE? Nah, man

Ah ha my mistake I thought you were using KDE.  Xfce is neat. 😀

BSD will be my next OS.

I'd like to try that one day but it would involve too much reading up for me.

and then installing both those little SSD

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: about time. Make sure you are sitting down when you first use the ssd powered system as you will be blown away by the speed of the thing. 🤣

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton
3 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Make sure you are sitting down when you first use the ssd powered system as you will be blown away by the speed of the thing. 🤣

I'll bet... particularly compared to these old dinosaur "raptors" that I have in this machine at the moment. Anyway, don't have the $$$ just yet; maybe a week or so from now I might be able to afford $25-$30 for an eBay purchase.

V.T. Eric Layton
4 hours ago, raymac46 said:

There are limits though. Anything less than SATA 2 interface isn't going to work that great with an SSD.

Hmm... checking... checking...

Motherboard: XFX MDA72P7509 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX with 6 x SATA ports by BGA , Maximum Speed to 3GB/s.

I guess that's SATA II, right?

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, don't have the scratch at the moment, but will have it in a couple weeks. I have a brand new Crucial MX500 250Gb SSD on my watch list at eBay -> $20.99 - free shipping. I'll order it soon. YAY!

Once I have them both, I'll install one and rsync my mechanical drive over to it, then I'll remove the mechanical drives and rsync the first SSD to the second one. Once that's done, I can then boot to the first SSD and that will be that. I can do my weekly rsync back up every Sunday.

I'm interested to experience the diff between mechanical and SSD speeds. I know there are read/write limits to SSDs, but ball park figure... how long do they last?

^

• Like 1

abarbarian
14 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

how long do they last

Introducing the SSD Endurance Experiment

You will only get SATA 2 speeds on that mobo. You will still see s a difference though.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/will-my-crucial-m500-ssd-6-0gbps-work-with-mobo-that-only-supports-sata-2.1825088/

All SATA is backwards compatible so it will work, but you might lose a bit of raw speed as SATA II is capped at 3GBps. Shouldn't be a problem as you still retain the big bonus of SSDs in terms of seek time, no fragmentation worries, etc. Plus you can always upgrade to SATA III later or buy a pcie card if you have space.

An adapter card for example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KALEA-INFORMATIQUE-EXPRESS-PCIe-PORTS-controller/dp/B018XCUPDS/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=pci+sata+card&qid=1706645331&sr=8-10

• PCI Express 1x port (PCIe 1.0) Compatible with SATA 3 (revision 3.2), accepts SATA 1 and 2 drives, but the maximum throughput will then be 150MB/s and 300MB/s respectively.Auto negotiation of the speed depending on the type of disk connected
  • For hard drives or optical drives. SATA PHY 1i/1m/2i/2m/3i. Compatible with AHCI/IDE programming. NCQ compatible Compatible with Port Multiplier devices. Plug and play installation

I have the newer nvme drives in the pc running of PCI-Express cards but do backups to an external hdd with rsync. As rsync only changes files that have changed the backups do not take very long at all. Even if they did I would just go and have a cup of tea or potter around until they had finished.

So you could get away with the Crucial ssd for your os, the hdd's for extra storage or even dual backups. Get the adapter for half the price of the extra ssd and you would have better speed and still have an extra ssd port for a future ssd when you have more loot. 😎

This is a nice article on ssd's.

SSD vs. HDD: Which Do You Need?

Last point any 250 GB ssd would match up with your Crucial. Also the bigger the capacity of a ssd the faster they run. You may need to set up TRIM for the ssd and you do not need to defrag them.

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

WOW! I didn't even know they made PCIe and PCI SATA cards. I may have to get one of those because the SATA sockets on ericsbane06's  mobo are shot. SATA 1, 3, and 5 are inoperative now, actually (sockets broken off the mobo. I'm currently using 2, 4, and 6, but I'm not sure that they won't just fall apart when I try to disconnect those mechanical drives.

I can get one of those PCI SATA II four port cards for $20. That would work! I'd also have a port for my card reader device. I can't use it right now because I don't have an available SATA port.

• Like 1

My junker desktop with the Core 2 Duo is a SATA2 mobo and it runs way better with an SSD than it did with an old 5400 RPM HDD.

My oldest SSD is in my Thinkpad 2012 model and it's showing no signs of trouble. They are easily as reliable as an HDD - probably significantly more.

Right now the smallest I'd get is 250 GB as the 128s are slower. Not that it matters with SATA2.

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

abarbarian
12 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I can get one of those PCI SATA II four port cards for $20.

Personally I would get a SATA III card as they are the same price and backwards compatible. It is worth checking the controller the card uses. This one sounds pretty good for a linux box as it uses a controller certified to work with linux.

https://www.amazon.com/Port-SATA-Expansion-Profile-Bracket/dp/B08J2PK1HF/ref=ci_mcx_psdc_284718_t4_B07VZZ11GB

• Chipset: ASMedia 1064
  • 4 Internal SATA 6Gb/s Ports. SATA ports are bootable

Reviewed in the United States on March 18, 2021

Style: 2 Port SATA JMicronVerified Purchase
This works well in Windows 10. Drivers automatically installed before you get to the desktop.

You will get the full speed of the PCIE Gen3 x1 interface which is the bottleneck here when using the 2 ports simultaneously. What I mean is that to truly feed the 2 SATA ports, you would need about 10gb/s on the PCIE bus slot (meaning an x2 slot would be needed). Here on a PCIE x1 slot, one SATA port gives full speed 530-540MB/s, but if using both (aggregate or striped/RAID0) you do not get the desired 1000MB/s+, you are instead capped at around 900MB/s - because a PCIE x1 port can only do 8x1000^3 bit per second, aka ~8Gbits/sec.

https://linux-hardware.org/?id=pci:1b21-1064-2116-2116

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs mate. I am sure you are really good at that already. 😛

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Hedon James
On 1/31/2024 at 5:03 AM, abarbarian said:

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs mate. I am sure you are really good at that already. 😛

Can't say I've ever heard that before over here in USA?  What does that mean?

3 hours ago, Hedon James said:

Can't say I've ever heard that before over here in USA?  What does that mean?

sxpra?url=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia

Hedon James
2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

ahhhh....."stating the obvious".  sometimes referenced as "Captain Obvious" toward someone who thinks they're bringing enlightenment, but is only restating what is already known.  "Suck eggs" isn't so obvious....you English have strange sayings?!  🤪 (hoping that my good-natured teasing is obvious?  strange is all in one's perspective, isn't it?!)

Edited by Hedon James

abarbarian
41 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

."stating the obvious"

That is a tad more formal and sort of serious. Teach you to suck eggs is more like a poke in the ribs jokey type of comment. An yer right there's nowt so queer as folk. 😂