UPGRADE: ericsbane06 to Slackware64 15.0

V.T. Eric Layton

abarbarian
1 hour ago, wa4chq said:

Speaking of foreign classics, when I was in the UK for a few months back in 1985, I used to enjoy watching Selina Scott....😗🤪😍

SELINA SCOTT lifts the lid on the behind-the-scenes antics of Britain's first early morning TV show

Back then watching morning tv in the UK was new.

Some said it was degenerate and sinful to watch the box in the morning

'I did hate TV': Selina Scott on Trump, Prince Andrew, Frank Bough and the BBC

Two very good articles on the lass. Naturally she is a Tyke. 😋

So were you degenerate and sinfully back then ??? 🫣

• Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton
4 hours ago, wa4chq said:

I saw Hell in the Pacific at the local cinema.

Me, too.. .well, it was a drive-in movie theater, actually (1968).

Three stations on TV? HA! Yeah, I remember them days, too. We had ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, and a couple independents (way high up on the UHF dial) that mostly sold crap. My mother called them the "mail order TV stations". ;)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
15 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I get but you aren't old regardless.

It's all in the mind. ;)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Me, too.. .well, it was a drive-in movie theater, actually (1968).

Three stations on TV? HA! Yeah, I remember them days, too. We had ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, and a couple independents (way high up on the UHF dial) that mostly sold crap. My mother called them the "mail order TV stations". ;)

When I was a tyke, we had a Munson B/W TV set.  I remember dad fiddling with the adjustments in the back while we were watching cartoons or the Stooges.....I'm not sure how many stations we were able to get....we were living just outside of Baltimore at the time.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

My first television memory was the 25" B&W Zenith console in the living room. I still remember dad saying, "Don't sit too close to it, son. It's bad for you eyes.". HA! Those old consoles were nice pieces of furniture back then. Our world has gone to H3LL since that time. :(

img_448aRJymySaOyMY_r.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt

I remember changing the channels went CLUNK-CLUNK-CLUNK, and if I did it too fast, my father would yell out, "Not so d*mned fast, son, you''ll wear it out!" 

Another neat thing I remember about that old TV was when you turned it off, the screen would go black except for a tiny little white dot in the middle of the screen that took a minute or two more to disappear completely. That's always kinda' reminded me of what dying must be like...

cWoOmJn.jpg

Ah... the memories. Oh, and another weird thing about getting old, @securitybreach, is the sudden, often uncontrollable urge to burst out in tears. No... I'm not kidding. It happens. Ask an old person. ;)

• Like 2

The white dot.....yep.  And turning it on took a second or two.  You could feel static when you put your hand near the screen.  Or if you stood in water and put your hand in the back of the set, you'd feel foolish for spit second.  Did you go to the grocery store or drug store....where ever they had the tube testers with you pop?  Do you remember that?

V.T. Eric Layton
29 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

tube testers with you pop?  Do you remember that?

HAHAHA! Definitely. Actually, when I became the Service Manager or the Olson Electronics store here in Tampa in '83, we still had a tester in that store. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

And don't let anyone be telling you about how strict we are here at Scot's about staying on topic. ;)

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

securitybreach
2 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Ah... the memories. Oh, and another weird thing about getting old, @securitybreach, is the sudden, often uncontrollable urge to burst out in tears. No... I'm not kidding. It happens. Ask an old person. ;)

That's your eyes watering, not tears. ;)

They claim if you smoke a little plant, it helps with prevent the cataracts

V.T. Eric Layton

Oooh, a beneficial side-effect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wa4chq said:

I found this picture of mom adjusting our old TV.

image.png.fe475f0c1e1b2d031be950ef8c7e2f53.png

I had one like that in my bedroom when I was a teenager. TV, I mean. 😏 I rewired it so I could run the sound through my stereo.

• +1 1

8 hours ago, sunrat said:

I had one like that in my bedroom when I was a teenager. TV, I mean. 😏 I rewired it so I could run the sound through my stereo.

TV in the b-room as a teen?  Lucky lad.  And I bet after the rewire, she joined you!  Again, lucky lad!

• Haha 1

abarbarian
14 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Does not stop your eyesight degenerating though. 🤫

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... something interesting that may be the cause/effect of my recent inability to power down/reboot via graphical interface or CLI commands:

Read the bit about "elogind" in the Slackware Announcements for v15.0:

http://www.slackware.com/announce/15.0.php

Also, read this interesting issue re: Suspend/Hibernate in Xfce that I found:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/654707/slackware-and-elogind-how-to-enable-suspend-and-hibernate-for-power-user

I believe I'm going to have to investigate this further and possibly seek advice/assistance from a Slackware guru to get this straightened up on my system.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 10:30 AM, abarbarian said:

SELINA SCOTT lifts the lid on the behind-the-scenes antics of Britain's first early morning TV show

Back then watching morning tv in the UK was new.

'I did hate TV': Selina Scott on Trump, Prince Andrew, Frank Bough and the BBC

Two very good articles on the lass. Naturally she is a Tyke. 😋

So were you degenerate and sinfully back then ??? 🫣

Yep....I was kinda like Eddie Haskell.  I won't mention any Beaver jokes.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, making a little progress here and there today...

I realized that what I've been calling Suspend for years is actually Hibernate. How 'bout that? Anyway, using the commands on my Whisker Menu in Xfce, I'm able to Logout, Reboot and Hibernate, but not Shutdown.

Y6s3wyD.png

- Logout kills X and leaves me sitting at a command line.

- Reboot does what it's supposed to do and reboots the system.

- Hibernate actually "dumps to disk" and powers down like it's supposed to do. However, I cannot wake it with keyboard or mouse (enabled in BIOS), but only with the power button, and that's OK, but I understand that there is some bugaree going on in Slackware with this because the system cannot awaken the video card along with everything else, so some workarounds that I'm checking on now may have to be tweaked and twiddled.

- Shutdown reboots the system, some fug buckery going on here. Well, I'll have to investigate further.

Oh, and Shutdown (telinit 0) and rebooting (telinit 6) are still not functioning as root from the command line. It does all it's supposed to do to shutdown/reboot, but then just freezes the screen and that's that... no shutdown or reboot happens.

___

I finally got rsync to make a good backup on my secondary hard drive today. The last two attempts ended in errors because part way through the process the drive become unmounted and then rsync could not write to it during the procedure. I did a disk check and fsck it up good. Afterwards the rsync did its thing properly and left me a nice mirror image on /dev/sdb. YAY!

___

I miss ericsbane07 more and more each day. I didn't have all these challenging problems to solve in that machine. It was such a good machine. I'm sorry I beat it to death. 😭

Actually, to be fair this machine (ericsbane06) was a really good machine when I first built it and throughout the three or four yeas that I used it on a daily basis, so I shouldn't be complaining.

___

Oh, and no browser or tab crashes in Firefox since I reverted to 121.0 this morning. :)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Confused 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I'll be glad when my computering life returns to plain ol' everyday boring. ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

securitybreach
29 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I'll be glad when my computering life returns to plain ol' everyday boring. ;)

Where is the fun in that?

• Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton

ALRIGHTY, THEN! I'M DONE.

I'll be gone for a while, folks. This system with this recent in-situ upgrade to Slackware 15 has far, far too many bugaboos and issues for me to spend weeks chasing my tail to try and fix all of them. I'm just not going to do this. I've been at it for over a week now. TIRED.

I'm going to WIPE the drive clean and install FRESH from DVD. It'll take me a few days after that to get everything set up to my liking. I HATE this. I really do. This will be my last try at this. If it comes out all buggy and screwed up again, I'll be tossing this box into the garbage bin where the last one went.

You won't see me online again until I manage to come up with enough money to build a new system; that will be a couple years, though. I have other priorities like leaky roof and parked vehicles that will have to get taken care of first.

YES, I'M WHIZZED OFF and DISGUSTED.

See ya' later...

V.T. Eric Layton

2205hrs EST -> I'm back up!

Fresh clean Slackware 15 install on reformatted partition /dev/sda1.

Software and kernels updated. All initial tweaks, setups, adjustments, re-installs of SBos and /opt apps done.

All seems to be working fine at the moment. Tomorrow, I'll add my fonts and Xfce themes/icons.

Of course the real test is going to be when I attempt to shutdown in a moment. I have a feeling that's still not going to work properly because after installing from the DVD I could not reboot properly.

We'll see tomorrow. My feet are too swollen from sitting here so long today/tonight.

G'night for now...

PJdlYvw.png

• +1 1

securitybreach
7 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

2205hrs EST -> I'm back up!

Fresh clean Slackware 15 install on reformatted partition /dev/sda1.

Software and kernels updated. All initial tweaks, setups, adjustments, re-installs of SBos and /opt apps done.

All seems to be working fine at the moment. Tomorrow, I'll add my fonts and Xfce themes/icons.

Of course the real test is going to be when I attempt to shutdown in a moment. I have a feeling that's still not going to work properly because after installing from the DVD I could not reboot properly.

We'll see tomorrow. My feet are too swollen from sitting here so long today/tonight.

G'night for now...

PJdlYvw.png

Good deal :thumbup:

• +1 1

Hedon James
On 1/19/2024 at 6:16 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Oooh, a beneficial side-effect.

aren't most of the "side effects" beneficial?  🤪

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1